Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad Day for North Carolina....

Not only did QB Mitch Trubisky announce he's turning pro.....      but RB Elijah Hood has changed his mind and he's coming out as well.

Here's a running list that's updated almost daily of college players with eligibility left who have announced they're turning pro.

And, at the bottom, is a list of talented kids who could turn pro,  but have apparently (though not officially) decided to stay in school.

It's good reading and you should be checking this DAILY!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000744597/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2017-nfl-draft

So, is your regret/disappointment staying in college or going pro earlier than you think say  QB Mitch Trubisky should? It's not like we are in the market for a field general at the moment. 

I get it. You were just trying to keep draft enthusiasts informed. I don't usually pay that close attention to it unless INDY drafts somebody good or the NY Giants. 

I'm no draft wizard. I lean on krunk, Dustin, Superman, Gavin, you & others who really kick over all stones. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

So, is your regret/disappointment staying in college or going pro earlier than you think say  QB Mitch Trubisky should? It's not like we are in the market for a field general at the moment. 

I get it. You were just trying to keep draft enthusiasts informed. I don't usually pay that close attention to it unless INDY drafts somebody good or the NY Giants. 

I'm no draft wizard. I lean on krunk, Dustin, Superman, Gavin, you & others who really kick over all stones. 

I'm disappointed for the kid.     I think he got bad advice that could hurt his future if the wrong team drafts him.

So many people these days view the draft as the destination when it should be the journey.    These young player have a goal of being a 1st round draft pick --- I get it.     The problem with that is what happens if you flame out because you're not ready and the team rushed you?      Then what?

When you're a quarterback nothing is more important that game experience.   Trubisky doesn't have it.   12 or 13 starts.      The NFL wants double that.  

These kids don't understand that the really big deal isn't the first contract,  it's the 2nd one.    When you've spent 4-5 years in the NFL and you've figured things out and now you get a really big contract with a really big signing bonus.      The rookie contracts nowadays are chump change.

If you're a QB, stay in school a little longer,  get the experience,  get drafted and make your mark.   The 2nd contract is where you cash in.

Sorry this answer was so long....

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm disappointed for the kid.     I think he got bad advice that could hurt his future if the wrong team drafts him.

So many people these days view the draft as the destination when it should be the journey.    These young player have a goal of being a 1st round draft pick --- I get it.     The problem with that is what happens if you flame out because you're not ready and the team rushed you?      Then what?

When you're a quarterback nothing is more important that game experience.   Trubisky doesn't have it.   12 or 13 starts.      The NFL wants double that.  

These kids don't understand that the really big deal isn't the first contract,  it's the 2nd one.    When you've spent 4-5 years in the NFL and you've figured things out and now you get a really big contract with a really big signing bonus.      The rookie contracts nowadays are chump change.

If you're a QB, stay in school a little longer,  get the experience,  get drafted and make your mark.   The 2nd contract is where you cash in.

Sorry this answer was so long....

On the contrary, I appreciate your attention to detail & elaborate explanation on Trubisky's behalf as to what your concerns are regarding his future NFL success NCF. You're exactly right. The 2nd contract is the one that really matters because it demonstrates that ownership & the coaching staff think you are an asset to this squad [whatever team drafts you] & that the powers that be think you are a vital cog on the way to deep playoff run & perhaps even a SB in due time. 

Good advice on your part. I agree 100% Like you say, high draft picks usually land on lousy teams & not every athlete is strong enough mentally to handle losing early & often or struggling/drowning in an NFL playbook on day 1 with verbiage, execution on the field at the next level, or instilling confidence in the huddle with limited reps or training under center.