Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Should Convert Either Green or Geathers into an ILB

Defjamz26

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

We can't address every need with FA and the draft. That's why you have to look for answers on your roster. Geathers to ILB takes care of that issue. Bring in Berry and draft one of the safeties we mentioned and now you just need a LB to play next to Geathers. 

Need a a pass rusher so you sign Ingram and maybe get One in the draft. But those moves are better than trying to get. CB, RB, two ILBs, and 2 ILBs in one draft.

I think there's room for two pass rushers in the draft. Load up at the position just like with OL last year.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't sign anyone in FA, I agree with that plan. This is why I think you call up Ariana and offer him a package deal. Allen and Dorsett for a 3rd. They just lost Floyd and who knows when Fitz will retire. They need the weapons.

That would let us really load up in the draft. Plus the extra 4th were probably getting for Fleener.

I think Ayers is another good piece. I believe hes a pass rusher, but hes definitely somebody you consider on passing downs. Kid is pretty athletic and aware when it comes to coverage. He will get you a deflection or two, or outright pick the ball off. So Geathers and and Ayers are two options that exist on the roster right now as far as coverage options at LB goes before additions are made.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If they don't sign anyone in FA, I agree with that plan. This is why I think you call up Ariana and offer him a package deal. Allen and Dorsett for a 3rd. They just lost Floyd and who knows when Fitz will retire. They need the weapons.

That would let us really load up in the draft. Plus the extra 4th were probably getting for Fleener.

They aren't going to give a 3rd for a guy who has shown next to nothing for two years and a injury prone TE who has trouble holding on to touchdowns.

I'm not totally on board with getting rid of Allen. I think Doyle may end up being gone because of a better offer in FA. I think they've held on to Mike Miller for a reason. Hes got hands like glue and can high point the football. Hes like 6'7". Swoope is ready and it might sound like a broken record, but Allen adds the blocking and the tough stuff. He can catch at times. If Doyle leaves in FA then Swoope, Allen, and Miller is possible maybe. I'm all for keeping Doyle if we can of course. If you get rid of Allen and Doyle leaves in FA then you're stuck somewhat. Grigson has already said its on his list to bring Swoope and Doyle back so we will see.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

They aren't going to give a 3rd for a guy who has shown next to nothing for two years and a injury prone TE who has trouble holding on to touchdowns.

Wishful thinking lol. Maybe a 4th and is more reasonable. But Arians lives Colts players. Freeney, Powers, Redding, and Kerwynn Williams are all guys he's picked up. lol he'd probably want Moncrief over Dorsett though.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

They do but typically they're good at the basics of their positions. You would think a guy you drafted to play safety would at least know how to cover and tackle (granted he's only been a safety for 2 and a half years).

Clark is different because he had never played with his hand in the dirt. He never had to do the things that an NFL OL would do. I get why he's raw but even he may more strides than Green as the season went on.

Im not saying Green is a bust or should already be good. But he should have shown more than what he has. All he's shown so far is what we knew about him on draft day, which is that he's big and fast. That's why I suggested a position switch. I don't see him developing the coverage skills to play FS. He's got similar measurables to Peppers who is coming out and people are talking about being a hybrid safety/LB. Don't see why Green can't do the same.

Green only played safety for two years prior to joining the Colts.    He came to Clemson as a WR.     I don't think he started much his first year on defense.    So, he's extremely raw.      Would I have invested that high a pick on him?      Personally, no.       But it's the same line of thinking as with Clark.     Give them time to learn and grow and the light comes on.     They have physical tools that just can't be coached.     

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Green only played safety for two years prior to joining the Colts.    He came to Clemson as a WR.     I don't think he started much his first year on defense.    So, he's extremely raw.      Would I have invested that high a pick on him?      Personally, no.       But it's the same line of thinking as with Clark.     Give them time to learn and grow and the light comes on.     They have physical tools that just can't be coached.     

Probably more reason to move him to corner, has ball skills and great straight line speed not a natural at tackling

1 minute ago, Oldschoolcolt19 said:

Probably more reason to move him to corner, has ball skills and great straight line speed not a natural at tackling

Perhaps,  but at this point,  I think the staff wants the kid more at Safety.    They'll likely give him a few years to figure things out before deciding on a change.

By the way,  you appear to be new.      Welcome to the website.      Hope you enjoy it.     I think you'll find it a bit addicting!

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps,  but at this point,  I think the staff wants the kid more at Safety.    They'll likely give him a few years to figure things out before deciding on a change.

By the way,  you appear to be new.      Welcome to the website.      Hope you enjoy it.     I think you'll find it a bit addicting!

Thanks more of a lurker than poster, I just felt 

Like I should put in my 2 cents. Moving green to lb would not be a good move imo. Love Geathers at safety and Nicole lb

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks!      Appreciate the good info.

And this would be encouraging that perhaps Green will show improvement in Year 2.

Funny how things turn out......       thanks again!

I don't think green will make the same strides Collins did from year 1 to year 2, but I do think we will see improvements. 

I still believe that because he hasn't played the position very long, he will take longer than usual to come into his own. I would assume closer to swoopes progression timeline than Collins. 

I still have high hopes for the kid, but patience is definitely necessary.  

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I don't think green will make the same strides Collins did from year 1 to year 2, but I do think we will see improvements. 

I still believe that because he hasn't played the position very long, he will take longer than usual to come into his own. I would assume closer to swoopes progression timeline than Collins. 

I still have high hopes for the kid, but patience is definitely necessary.  

Completely agree.     You said it better than I did.      Green will not improve like Collins did.    Collins had much more experience in college.     He did not come to the NFL learning how to play the position.     He was just learning the NFL game which is entirely different. 

Green has a much steeper hill to climb.     He's learning the NFL game at the same time he's learning how to play the position.      It will take time,  and patience will be needed.

Ya know this is totally off topic and random but I was think that there is enough of us I was kind of wishing the Colts forum was able to offer voice chat option for those that wanted to use to hear the person they are talking to. That would be cool

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

See that's the problem though. He might be learning how to cover. Typically rookies come into the league and know how to cover, they just learn technique and how to read plays and QBs. Coverage is typically something you can or can't do once you're in the league. No one really learns how to cover, but just improves on their ability to do so. Green had basically no coverage ability. He's fast enough to keep up but that's about it.

I guess we shall see though

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

See that's the problem though. He might be learning how to cover. Typically rookies come into the league and know how to cover, they just learn technique and how to read plays and QBs. Coverage is typically something you can or can't do once you're in the league. No one really learns how to cover, but just improves on their ability to do so. Green had basically no coverage ability. He's fast enough to keep up but that's about it.

I guess we shall see though

What can I tell you?     Everyone signed off on this.

And Pagano's specialty is coaching defensive backs.     So this one is really on him.     And it doesn't help that PJ Smith flames out in roughly 18 months.     That's a 2nd round pick that we got ZERO from.      Not good.

So,  Green really has to step up his game.     We're going to have to live with his growing pains and hope that they don't cost us too many games.

On 1/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, krunk said:

With Green there is a lot of upside though. With a little molding he can play about 3 different positions ranging from Dime linebacker to safety to cornerback situationally or eventually full time. I can see why they picked him as they valued the versatility. You dont find many safeties that have the natural ability to do all that. He needs to understand whats going on on the field though. We will see what 2017 looks like. 2016 wasn't good but many expected a learning curve.

He is so bad mentally in pass pro i expect him to need 2018 to get it together. And that is just fine as we
 need 5-6 new defensive starters added, and they will need time to develop also.
 He has excellent physical tools and he seems hungry and has great potential to become a Championship caliber defender. 

On 1/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, BOTT said:

Dorsett would thrive in Arians' vertical offense, Allen likely would as well. Not sure what he'd give up in return, but those 2 would definitely produce in that scheme.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dorsett would thrive in Arians' vertical offense, Allen likely would as well. Not sure what he'd give up in return, but those 2 would definitely produce in that scheme.

He can't get open in the Colts vertical passing attack but would suddenly get open in Arizona?

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He can't get open in the Colts vertical passing attack but would suddenly get open in Arizona?

The whole narrative that he can't get open is a joke. I see him wide open 4-5 times per game, and the ball just doesn't come his way. Not sure if it's a timing thing, OL isn't holding blocks long enough, he's the third read, whatever, but he's open a lot for someone who everyone claims "can't get open."

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The whole narrative that he can't get open is a joke. I see him wide open 4-5 times per game, and the ball just doesn't come his way. Not sure if it's a timing thing, OL isn't holding blocks long enough, he's the third read, whatever, but he's open a lot for someone who everyone claims "can't get open."

He's open after the ball is released lol. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, mahagga73 said:

Venturi said Green couldn't tackle a blocking dummy last week. 

Venturi must have watched the same film I did. The last quarter he was missing tackles at a record rate. I'll be hopeful, and chock it up to him hitting the rookie wall and regressing from fatigue.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, not really the case. Maybe you can post some vids of him struggling to get open?

I don't have all 22 anymore, but I will take Venturi's word for it.  Or am I just supposed to believe he get's open but Chud and Luck are conspiring against him?

"Andrew, you can throw to TY, Landshark, Doyle, the Swoop fella, but not that damn 1st round pick."

On 1/9/2017 at 5:50 PM, BOTT said:

I don't have all 22 anymore, but I will take Venturi's word for it.  Or am I just supposed to believe he get's open but Chud and Luck are conspiring against him?

"Andrew, you can throw to TY, Landshark, Doyle, the Swoop fella, but not that damn 1st round pick."

I guess they're conspiring against him...

20hsznm.jpg

I guess they're conspiring against him...

20hsznm.jpg

Oh man. I'm not quarterback guru, but I did play the position for 6 years HS and JC. His feet and hips should be set by that point in the drop. Coaching?