Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What grade would you give to our 1st yr DC?

colts2dasuperbowl

I'll say D-  , the statistics show borderline F results regarding Points given up and Yards allowed. We weren't the worse Defense in the league though. This also isn't the worse Colts Defense by my eye ball test that I have seen either, we have had some worse one's = mid 80's. D- seems appropriate because if we didn't have a grade B type of QB, we would've be a 3-13 team overall with no Hasselbeck. Tolzien is pretty Bad. Luck was worth 5 wins by himself.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Malakai432 said:

That just doesn't happen with a lowly D even with schemes, Bell just absolutely destroyed them.  The Colts D doesn't have this capability.  They did well against Hopkins and still were whipped out by the Texans. 

I agree talent is completely devoid. I just wish we would have tried mixing it up more, like we did vs the Vikings and Packers. Those types of scheming should have been enough to beat the Texans...

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll try though I'm no expert:

I was hoping we would think outside the box and adjust to our opponents in terms of play calling. For example stack the box against Miller and the Texans, maybe throw in some safety blitzes to help out with the lack of pass rush and rattle Brock. Heck just blitz on every down but change which player does it and which drops into coverage.

Pick a game changing player and completely shut them down, forcing other players to step up: i.e. triple team Antonio Brown, lol. 

Now we're talking.   I agree,  The game plans were rarely outside the box thinking.  Basically the same bend and try not to break.   I think if we can get a stud pass rusher,  The defense will look much better.  Two pass rushers would be even better

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree talent is completely devoid. I just wish we would have tried mixing it up more, like we did vs the Vikings and Packers. Those types of scheming should have been enough to beat the Texans...

Yeah they could try to switch things up more.  Sometimes it feels very linear.  The offense ticks me off just as much though when they get stagnant not running the no huddle or switching things up on the spot.  This offense has the capability to switch things up on the fly, but they rarely do only when 100% necessary I feel.  It also seems against certain teams they may but then it will go poof the next game.  I understand the D isn't good, but this offense should be able to adapt one would think but what do I know.  Even on the D side though, yeah I agree since they're bad it really doesn't matter it's not like trying something different would hurt.

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Even on the D side though, yeah I agree since they're bad it really doesn't matter it's not like trying something different would hurt.

That's how I've felt for most of the season

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Now we're talking.   I agree,  The game plans were rarely outside the box thinking.  Basically the same bend and try not to break.   I think if we can get a stud pass rusher,  The defense will look much better.  Two pass rushers would be even better

Two pass rushers? Now hold on Tex that's crazy talk! :sarcasm: That would be awesome!

Just now, CantBeStopped said:

When your best player on that side of the ball was Walden it's hard to have a good year. Even our "playmaker" Davis looked like trash most of the year

Yeah he had a rough year, having someone remotely solid opposite of him could perhaps do wonders unless Davis keeps injuring himself.

Pretty bad, even for a first time DC. But they were also really depleted by injuries, & he was forced to work with a lot of nobodies. If there was one positive, I'd say it was the way he moved guys around in the secondary, & I think that'll be huge once there are some legit edge rushers & ILBs in place.

19 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

When your best player on that side of the ball was Walden it's hard to have a good year. Even our "playmaker" Davis looked like trash most of the year

I think our best defensive player is Geathers. His presence (and absence) seems to be more impactful than anyone else's at this point, even Davis. They're a completely different unit when he's on the field, & I just hope he can shake the injury bug, because it's starting to become a pretty regular thing.

He transitioned to a new team with not to much to work with and of course all the injuries.  I don't know who the linebackers coach is or how much say these position coaches have but I thought that group failed miserably.  Deciding on who stayed, who played  and who they let go really changed everything this year.  I imagine it was a collective decision but if a change is made there I wouldn't be surprised. 

I'd go C-. Probably being generous.

We were the 30th ranked defense for points allowed, but when one thinks about it, in terms of talent we probably rank in about the bottom 5 anyway.

I recall in the Green Bay match where they had a stat saying that the Colt's blitz the 7th most (people can correct me), so I think Ted is trying to be somewhat aggressive with the group. But its so hard when Vontae is most injured and your other CB's are sub-par. That said Ted was not able to get the best out of this group.

It's a hard question to answer, I mean we have no top class player on D, and most of the defense is compiled with either mid 30 vets, 4/5 round draft picks and UDFA's. It's a tough base to start for any new DC.

It was frustrating this year: the D would get teams in 3rd and long, only to give up a first. With all of the injuries, inexperienced backups would start. limiting schemes and prohibiting continuity. Obviously, they need a better pass rush and hopefully will bring in the missing pieces through the draft and FA. Add a healthy, Anderson, Langford, Geathers, Robinson and Davis and see what happens. 

18 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I agree with 1959 colt. I've been following the Colts since around 1965. This is certainly the worst coaching staff that they have had since I've been following the team. 

I dont know about that. Recall frank krush years.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

It was frustrating this year: the D would get teams in 3rd and long, only to give up a first. With all of the injuries, inexperienced backups would start. limiting schemes and prohibiting continuity. Obviously, they need a better pass rush and hopefully will bring in the missing pieces through the draft and FA. Add a healthy, Anderson, Langford, Geathers, Robinson and Davis and see what happens. 

I agree. At the end of the season we were literally pulling in DBs from off the street and playing them. 

45 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I dont know about that. Recall frank krush years.

Yeah. The Kush years were awfully bad. In 1983 the colts had the first pick in the draft by virtue of the worst record in the NFL. We drafted John Elway with that pick. He and his father didn't want John playing for a Kush coached team. He threatened to play baseball if the Colts didn't trade him. The Colts worked out a trade with Denver and got Chris Hinton and Mark Herrmann from Denver. Bad times indeed. 

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I watched all of the Frank kush, rod dowhower, ron meyer, rick venturi, lindy infante seasons.   All were worse than this staff.   

This staff was better. This Defense has far better athletes.  But this D, at least for the first half  the year, has/had by far The worst Ability to tackle  in Colts history, and I've been a Colts fan since the mid 1950s.  These LBERS hit, and were in position but couldn't finish...

There'll be changes at LB for sure....

1 hour ago, Buddy Lee said:

Yeah. The Kush years were awfully bad. In 1983 the colts had the first pick in the draft by virtue of the worst record in the NFL. We drafted John Elway with that pick. He and his father didn't want John playing for a Kush coached team. He threatened to play baseball if the Colts didn't trade him. The Colts worked out a trade with Denver and got Chris Hinton and Mark Herrmann from Denver. Bad times indeed. 

And also got draft picks that became Ron Solt (all pro guard, career shortened by injury) and Rohn Stark (all pro punter).  Was Jimmy Irsay GM then?  I can't remember.

11 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

No idea what to grade him as a D.C. What is the curve for (when Vontae is hurt) having no playmakers in your unit?

Yea, it's tough.  He didn't inherit a plethora of talent.  Like you state, Vontae being hurt had huge implications and we are so vulnerable when he's out.  Geathers being hurt some also factors in as he is so versatile and a big part of our defense.  Defensive end was a real issue as well as other positions (experience and talent-wise)  As some have mentioned, getting more creative and thinking outside the box would have helped because eventually you have to say nothing is working what else is there.  Having said all that, he is experienced and knows football...I don't think anyone would question his resume and defensive knowledge.  

13 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

One of the worst defenses I have ever watched. Period

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Not true if you claim to have been a fan since 59.

While I may not agree with the assessment of an F, there is some evidence to support @1959Colts's claim that it was one of the worst defenses ever.

And don't forget, the QBs we faced this year included Blake Bortles twice, Brock Osweiler twice, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Bradford.  Despite facing those QBs for a combined 6/16 games, we still had the awful stats mentioned in the tweets

13 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

All I know is that man loves to rush 3.

Yup, lack of aggression was a problem. Sure the D isn't loaded with talent, but the coaching of it didn't really help matters. Manuskys defenses weren't exactly loaded with talent, but he found a way to generate a pass rush even with a lack of talent. 

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

D

I know it was his first year and its not all of his fault, but I wasn't very impressed. 

I'm in this same boat. While it's tough to really critique a first time D.C. And with such a void of top talent and add in injuries, that gives him at least a bit of shielding in season one. I was surprised in a few choices though that leave me to lean to the "he isn't going to be a master of D.C. " His decision to leave vontae 1-1 against A. Brown and getting beat up, hurt or not hurt, was a questionable decision. Those collapses of games we had late double digit leads and lost the games also bother me. 

Again, I'm willing to give him a mulligan for his first season but regardless of the players, I'll want to see more match up creative defensive game plans and better tackling and players being more in the right places as well as better discipline from his players. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll say D-  , the statistics show borderline F results regarding Points given up and Yards allowed. We weren't the worse Defense in the league though. This also isn't the worse Colts Defense by my eye ball test that I have seen either, we have had some worse one's = mid 80's. D- seems appropriate because if we didn't have a grade B type of QB, we would've be a 3-13 team overall with no Hasselbeck. Tolzien is pretty Bad. Luck was worth 5 wins by himself.

Tolzein was actually way better than we expected. Had we had any defense helping him out that game, we would have won. His picks weren't until late in the game when the only chance to win was for him to take risks. Losing the only game we lost was definitely not on Tolzien. 

55 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

While I may not agree with the assessment of an F, there is some evidence to support @1959Colts's claim that it was one of the worst defenses ever.

And don't forget, the QBs we faced this year included Blake Bortles twice, Brock Osweiler twice, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Bradford.  Despite facing those QBs for a combined 6/16 games, we still had the awful stats mentioned in the tweets

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, isn't the first tweet a little misleading? We were really top ten in DVOA in 2015? I thought that was 2014.