Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What grade would you give to our 1st yr DC?

colts2dasuperbowl

Just as the title says, what grade would you guys give?

I thought our takeaways would really improve with Pag's db coach background and Ted's lb coaching background. I was kind of disappointed in that area, but overall he was just as what I expected out of him as a 1st year coach.

Do you guys think he will be a good DC in the near future or do we need to look for another DC next year?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

Same.

However, I would give him another year just because our D never got healthy this year.

I agree, I'm not saying I'm ready to see him fired. But the D was awful for most of the year. We will see if its better when its healthier, with probably some new pieces from free agency and the draft.

D

First time DC and not much talent to work with but we where awful. A good DC would've had the same squad middle of the pack IMO. I wouldn't be upset at all if they upgraded DC's this offseason but I know that's probably not going to happen since he only had one year (which is understandable).

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Incomplete.

There's little talent on that side of the ball.

There's only so much that can be done.

We'll see what Monachino does when he gets some talent.

I predict Monachino gets canned within a few weeks, and will be replaced by Chuck Pagano's brother... John.

F for allowing Brock Osweiler and a number of backup level QBs to beat us... in our own house.

F for allowing us to fall apart in critical situations at the end of the game resulting in a loss. I understand the circumstances but this is professional football. You have to be better, no excuses.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

No it isn't dad.   Do some research

Time after time, the opposing teams just go right down the field and score a touchdown against this defense.

We almost never make a stop.

Do you think the defense was any bit promising?

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

F for allowing Brock Osweiler and a number of backup level QBs to beat us... in our own house.

F for allowing us to fall apart in critical situations at the end of the game resulting in a loss. I understand the circumstances but this is professional football. You have to be better, no excuses.

So we're in the participation ribbon zone of defense??

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I wouldn't quite say Brock beat them down but LaMar Miller beat the #@#()!!)@@)))))))))))))))))))##########($*@!*!)$$(@)@@ !!!!!!!!! out of them twice.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Time after time, the opposing teams just go right down the field and score a touchdown against this defense.

We almost never make a stop.

Do you think the defense was any bit promising?

I guess you slept through the Mike McCormick and Frank Kush years.   I didn't say our defense was good now,  I said they weren't the worst in franchise history like you claim.  Are you sure your name shouldn't be 1999 colts?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I guess you slept through the Mike McCormick and Frank Kush years.   I didn't say our defense was good now,  I said they weren't the worst in franchise history like you claim.  Are you sure your name shouldn't be 1999 colts?

I watched all those teams and defenses. This year's defense was no better.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Did you see those defenses? Or are you siting the statistics? 

C, and I'm being very generous

They were VERY BAD and at times unwatchable......but they were also decimated by injuries, and when they were healthy......well the unit just lacks talent. So I couldn't really expect much more from Ted.

Pagano and Ted have said before that having a healthy secondary is key specifically for this defense, which is what led them to being so vanilla at times.

Next season, with some improved talent (hopefully), and another year for guys like Green, Geathers, Anderson, Ridgeway etc, I would hope they can at least be middle of the pack.

14 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

C, and I'm being very generous

They were VERY BAD and at times unwatchable......but they were also decimated by injuries, and when they were healthy......well the unit just lacks talent. So I couldn't really expect much more from Ted.

Pagano and Ted have said before that having a healthy secondary is key specifically for this defense, which is what led them to being so vanilla at times.

Next season, with some improved talent (hopefully), and another year for guys like Green, Geathers, Anderson, Ridgeway etc, I would hope they can at least be middle of the pack.

A top 20, let alone a top 15 would be crazy.  It seems though like the task of getting to top 20 let alone 15, even with fully healthy, without Mathis is going to be incredibly difficult.  Draft and FA will need to be nailed, if Grigson takes a passive dip in FA this D will go nowhere even if he nails in the draft imo.  Lots of good young prospects but they will have to make a big leap in performance as well as Grigs nailing in the draft and FA to become a top 15 D.  Most of all the worst plague of it all injures , a healthy D is huge! :( 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So,  in your expert opinion,  What should he have done with a defense devoid of playmakers

I'll try though I'm no expert:

I was hoping we would think outside the box and adjust to our opponents in terms of play calling. For example stack the box against Miller and the Texans, maybe throw in some safety blitzes to help out with the lack of pass rush and rattle Brock. Heck just blitz on every down but change which player does it and which drops into coverage.

Pick a game changing player and completely shut them down, forcing other players to step up: i.e. triple team Antonio Brown, lol. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll try though I'm no expert:

I was hoping we would think outside the box and adjust to our opponents in terms of play calling. For example stack the box against Miller and the Texans, maybe throw in some safety blitzes to help out with the lack of pass rush and rattle Brock. Heck just blitz on every down but change which player does it and which drops into coverage.

Pick a game changing player and completely shut them down, forcing other players to step up: i.e. triple team Antonio Brown, lol

That just doesn't happen with a lowly D even with schemes, Bell just absolutely destroyed them.  The Colts D doesn't have this capability.  They did well against Hopkins and still were wiped out by the Texans.