Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Alex Marvez Pagano will be back as HC in 2017 (merge)

HungarianColtsFan

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That 8-8 season last year wasn't just good it was flipping brilliant.

I always love that so many posters think 2015 is an example of a bad year by Pagano.     I think it's one of his best coaching jobs.

8 wins with 5 different QB's?     Terrific.

Won his last two games to finish 8-8?     Terrific.

Split the QB duties in the final game to get the most out of both and ease the load of putting it all on one?    Genius!

For me,  when my favorite team loses the starting QB for 9 games,  you're playing with House Money.    Whatever you can walk away with is great.      And we walked away with an 8-8 season.    I was hugely impressed.      I'm sorry so many here are not.      I think they missed a great season.

Especially considering Luck was 2-5 in the games he started.  We were 6-3 with a terrible o line and an old timer running the show at qb and went 6-3.  I don't know why no one gives pagano credit for that.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would have to think grigson is in panic mode.  I look for at least one big splash in FA.   Just a feeling.  I could be way off

He has to do something a linebacker.  Depending on what happens with Walden and Jackson they might be looking for four new starters.  They have to replace Mathis clearly and I don't think Morrison or Edwin Jackson showed enough to be counted on as starters going forward.  Even if they draft linebacker high that's only one guy. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He has to do something a linebacker.  Depending on what happens with Walden and Jackson they might be looking for four new starters.  They have to replace Mathis clearly and I don't think Morrison or Edwin Jackson showed enough to be counted on as starters going forward.  Even if they draft linebacker high that's only one guy. 

I agree.  We need a pass rush desperately

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I always love that so many posters think 2015 is an example of a bad year by Pagano.     I think it's one of his best coaching jobs.

Split the QB duties in the final game to get the most out of both and ease the load of putting it all on one?    Genius!

For me,  when my favorite team loses the starting QB for 9 games,  you're playing with House Money.    Whatever you can walk away with is great.      And we walked away with an 8-8 season.    I was hugely impressed.      I'm sorry so many here are not.      I think they missed a great season.

I totally agree. I thought before the 2015 Season if at anytime we lost Luck due to injury that we would be a 4-12/5-11 team because we did at least have Hasselbeck who was still capable of being Good at times. Going 8-8 was a miracle with Luck missing 9 games.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With two QBs who literally joined the team on the Tuesday before the game. Not practice squad guys, not guys who were on the training camp squad... players who have never played for the Colts, or for any of the coaches at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

That game was a small reason for hope going into 2016. Things didn't work out like I hoped, but Pagano and Chud (and Clyde, who has done a decent job with his backup QB in Miami, btw) earned a little bit of credit, IMO.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys went 4-12 with backup QBs last year...

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No season where Luck is 2-5 in games played can be categorized as brilliant in my opinion. Like I said that record was not all attributed to him being injured as he came out of the gate stinking that season.   Sure the Colts did a nice job of making the most out of the adversity dealt when he went down but to label that season which also featured losses to the Bills, Jets and hapless Saints (all with Luck) as brilliant is a bit much.  Also during that 6-3 stretch by our backup QBs, we were fortunate that we were not exactly facing a murderers row of opponents.  I believe they beat their usual AFC South opponents along with Atlanta and Tampa Bay.  Credit to them for that...but taken as a whole not a great season by any means.  There was no consistency and that translated into the following season and likely will result in same or worse results next season. 

50 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No season where Luck is 2-5 in games played can be categorized as brilliant in my opinion. Like I said that record was not all attributed to him being injured as he came out of the gate stinking that season.   Sure the Colts did a nice job of making the most out of the adversity dealt when he went down but to label that season which also featured losses to the Bills, Jets and hapless Saints (all with Luck) as brilliant is a bit much.  Also during that 6-3 stretch by our backup QBs, we were fortunate that we were not exactly facing a murderers row of opponents.  I believe they beat their usual AFC South opponents along with Atlanta and Tampa Bay.  Credit to them for that...but taken as a whole not a great season by any means.  There was no consistency and that translated into the following season and likely will result in same or worse results next season. 

Luck may have been injured in the very first game last season.  Polian surmised he was injured watching him during warm ups while preparing to call the colts second game for espn radio.

and I pretty much agree with the rest if your post.  

15 hours ago, BOTT said:

Given Grigson's track record in FA, Irsay might as well take those millions of dollars out back and throw a match on it.

Exactly.

Likely wise to do the Bill Polian methodology.  Figure out what you don't do well (FA signings was among Polians, and seems to be Grigson's as well along with trades) and stop doing it.  Play on your strengths and get better at that (drafting).  Finally, earmark that money toward 2nd and 3rd contracts of your best developed stars you drafted earlier. Draft better / more.

Take a chance on an FA once in a blue moon (Booger McFarland) realizing you are never just one player away from a Super Bowl, but knowing not every draft choice works out or every player stays healthy and you need to fill a need.  But realize you are also paying A money for a B player.  That is Free Agency. So minimize those if possible.

Irsay is smart, and has performed / watched how that business side goes down and types of results obtained.  I'm sure he and Grigson have had many chats about it in that conference room, or even in Irsay's office.

Mediocrity alone will get us to 10-6 next year and winning the division, then Irsay will sign up for another season of mediocrity.  Hell, if Pagano simply wasn't allowed to call timeouts, we would have won 2 or 3 more games this year and been in the playoffs...

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm talking about the coaching job.

When you lose your starting quarterback the chances of your team getting to 500 are not very high.

And doing it with 5 different quarterbacks and not just the primary back-up?      Even better.

A poor offensive line and 5 different QB's and you write about CONSISTENCY?

Goodness gracious......

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm talking about the coaching job.

When you lose your starting quarterback the chances of your team getting to 500 are not very high.

And doing it with 5 different quarterbacks and not just the primary back-up?      Even better.

A poor offensive line and 5 different QB's and you write about CONSISTENCY?

Goodness gracious......

We will just have to agree to disagree. The job the coaching staff did when Luck was out was negated by how bad the team performed when Luck actually did play. I am not impressed by the mediocrity of the past 2 seasons or the consistent blow out losses to teams like the Patriots and Steelers throughout the Grigano era.   This franchise is moving in the wrong direction. 

8 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No season where Luck is 2-5 in games played can be categorized as brilliant in my opinion.

I wouldn't say "brilliant," but you're leaving out the part where the Colts switched coordinators in Week 10. Then they finished 5-3, mostly with four backups. 

41 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We will just have to agree to disagree. The job the coaching staff did when Luck was out was negated by how bad the team performed when Luck actually did play. I am not impressed by the mediocrity of the past 2 seasons or the consistent blow out losses to teams like the Patriots and Steelers throughout the Grigano era.   This franchise is moving in the wrong direction. 

The Patriots, Steelers and?...keep in mind this team was essentially an expansion one five years ago. Having a team that competes with everyone but the top of our conference isn't trending in the wrong direction. Three playoff wins and 49 wins in five years since a franchise reboot isn't either. We've had one 8-8 season with a healthy Luck. Let's see how this offseason goes before the franchise is truly going the wrong way. I think the last two have been frustrating but there's plenty of hope.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't say "brilliant," but you're leaving out the part where the Colts switched coordinators in Week 10. Then they finished 5-3, mostly with four backups. 

Fair enough...I mentioned that they went 6-3 with the backup QBs but not the coordinator switch 5-3 record.  That didn't come to mind really.  Probably because I am of the opinion that Pep was treated somewhat as a scapegoat around here.  I am not going to get into that again here though because that's a whole other thread. I will acknowledge that  Pagano's record with the backup QBs was a feather in his cap and I'm sure Irsay weighed that in his favor.

Nevertheless,  I still wanted Pagano and Grigson gone after that season based off of the whole of what I saw that season and due to the prevailing feeling that the Grigano tandem had become toxic.  However,  I wasn't as upset with them being retained last year as I am after this past season.  Last year, I was more surprised than anything and perplexed over why Irsay felt it necessary to give out the 4 year extension.

1 hour ago, VocableLoki said:

The Patriots, Steelers and?...keep in mind this team was essentially an expansion one five years ago. Having a team that competes with everyone but the top of our conference isn't trending in the wrong direction. Three playoff wins and 49 wins in five years since a franchise reboot isn't either. We've had one 8-8 season with a healthy Luck. Let's see how this offseason goes before the franchise is truly going the wrong way. I think the last two have been frustrating but there's plenty of hope.

Thats good logic.  I would think thats where jim's head is.

17 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Fair enough...I mentioned that they went 6-3 with the backup QBs but not the coordinator switch 5-3 record.  That didn't come to mind really.  Probably because I am of the opinion that Pep was treated somewhat as a scapegoat around here.  I am not going to get into that again here though because that's a whole other thread. I will acknowledge that  Pagano's record with the backup QBs was a feather in his cap and I'm sure Irsay weighed that in his favor.

Nevertheless,  I still wanted Pagano and Grigson gone after that season based off of the whole of what I saw that season and due to the prevailing feeling that the Grigano tandem had become toxic.  However,  I wasn't as upset with them being retained last year as I am after this past season.  Last year, I was more surprised than anything and perplexed over why Irsay felt it necessary to give out the 4 year extension.

Whether or not Pep was a scapegoat, I don't think he was a good coordinator. I'm not liking Chud at this point, but that's not a vindication of Pep, IMO. 

To me, the hope was that the new OC would, with Luck healthy, run an offense that more closely resembled the Denver game last year, and that he would adjust with shorter passing concepts if/when necessary. I expected him to do a much better job than he did this year. 

As for Irsay's decision last year, it wasn't necessary to give long term contract extensions to Grigson and Pagano. I believe he chose to do so so they wouldn't be looking over their shoulders every time they lost a game. He entrusted them to build the team and run the program with an eye to the long term, not to swing big to get back to the AFCCG in Year One. He put his confidence in them, and proved it with new contracts. If he really believed in them, that was probably the best way to express it. 

The question remains -- and many of us are convinced we know the answer -- whether he should have put any confidence in them at all. I wouldn't have, but his decision was understandable, given their past achievements.

I don't think Irsay has given them four years worth of rope, though. If things don't look better next year, I think they'll be on the chopping block. Irsay is not and never has been a 'head in the sand' kind of owner. 

1 hour ago, VocableLoki said:

The first three seasons under Andrew Luck the Colts were 33-15 with 2 AFC South Titles, 3 playoff berths and an AFC Championship game appearance.

The past two seasons with Andrew Luck under center the Colts are 10-12.

We have gone from a team that won 68% of it's regular season games in it's first 3 seasons to won that has only won 45% of it's regular season games the past 2 seasons (and that is counting only the games that Andrew Luck has actually played.) 

We are a team that has clearly regressed with our franchise QB under center.  There is reason to believe this franchise is trending in the wrong direction.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:09 AM, Restored said:

Have a feeling it's not. Marvez is pretty reliable.

I think Irsay is planning to give Grigson and Pagano one more year. Miss the playoffs again and he will fire both. Grigson and Pagano are in a prime spot to atleast do that this coming season.

We're pushing the mileage on Luck.

I really hope the roster is addressed this off-season. We took quite the step back with this years roster.

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

franchise

H

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The first three seasons under Andrew Luck the Colts were 33-15 with 2 AFC South Titles, 3 playoff berths and an AFC Championship game appearance.

The past two seasons with Andrew Luck under center the Colts are 10-12.

We have gone from a team that won 68% of it's regular season games in it's first 3 seasons to won that has only won 45% of it's regular season games the past 2 seasons (and that is counting only the games that Andrew Luck has actually played.) 

We are a team that has clearly regressed with our franchise QB under center.  There is reason to believe this franchise is trending in the wrong direction.

2015 is hardly a good measurement for how Luck is progressing with the team. It's pretty clear he was hurt from the beginning and we went with a Super Bowl or Bust approach with a roster that was more deeply flawed than anyone realized. This year we paid for that approach but Andrew had a great season.

I just see a team that needs to add defensive talent. We aren't going a franchise going downhill fast.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Sure, tell that to the Steelers who just got blown out.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, krunk said:

When are yall gonna realize the guy needs better than substandard athletes to run his D? Of course you will suck with nothing but low scale free agents and draft busts like Chapman heading your defense.

Well Chapman Was A Draft Choice ( If I`m Not Mistaken) however the poster was correct in his assumption

that Y`All Need High Draft Choices To Build A GOOD Defence But WE`ll Make Do With What We Have.

9 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Sure, tell that to the Steelers who just got blown out.

Indeed they did by the Pats...not the Colts.

Steelers still have blown out the Colts on a regular basis of late.  What are you talking about?   Steelers may not be on Pats level.  But Colts are no where near the level of either team right now.

13 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Indeed they did by the Pats...not the Colts.

Steelers still have blown out the Colts on a regular basis of late.  What are you talking about?   Steelers may not be on Pats level.  But Colts are no where near the level of either team right now.

I am not sure if it's just a bad matchup with the Steelers? Because the Broncos were better than the Steelers from 2012-2015 and we beat them 3 out of 4 games including a Divisional Round Game at Denver. Pretty much everyone gets killed in Foxboro in the Playoffs that is why when we lost to them in 2014 I wasn't that upset about it. I still thought we had a Very Good season and just played a team that rarely loses at home.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure if it's just a bad matchup with the Steelers? Because the Broncos were better than the Steelers from 2012-2015 and we beat them 3 out of 4 games including a Divisional Round Game at Denver. Pretty much everyone gets killed in Foxboro in the Playoffs that is why when we lost to them in 2014 I wasn't that upset about it. I still thought we had a Very Good season and just played a team that rarely loses at home.

Sometimes styles make fights as they say. Then again when we opt to single cover Antonio Brown, we deserve whatever beat downs are getting dealt to us by them. Maybe it's the current coaching.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's our putrid defense. The Denver teams they couldn't sling the ball. In Pittsburgh they can sling the ball and run it. We gotta build the damn monster this year.

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It's our putrid defense. The Denver teams they couldn't sling the ball. In Pittsburgh they can sling the ball and run it. We gotta build the damn monster this year.

Monster?  At this point I'd be good with a competent defense.  You can win with a competent but not great defense and an elite offense.  Just look at Atlanta.  We have to do work to get to a respectable level.  Monster won't come in one off season. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Monster?  At this point I'd be good with a competent defense.  You can win with a competent but not great defense and an elite offense.  Just look at Atlanta.  We have to do work to get to a respectable level.  Monster won't come in one off season. 

If we just had a Top 15 Defense and better young talent I would jump for joy. Imagine how good we would be if our Defense was even rated 15th.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Bruh the monster comment was obvy  :sarcasm:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we just had a Top 15 Defense and better young talent I would jump for joy. Imagine how good we would be if our Defense was even rated 15th.

Agreed.  And at the same time we can't forget about our offense either.  We haven't been consistent.  We are good but on offense we need to be elite because our defense will most likely be competent at best.  That means continuing to build the offensive line, getting a legit running back with a second gear and adding another receiving threat to the mix.