Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Alex Marvez Pagano will be back as HC in 2017 (merge)

HungarianColtsFan

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Would like to mention:

Irsay not firing Pagano and Grigson implies to me that he is loyal to them and both will stay throughout their contact (or at least until the last year).

I don't think that at all. Irsay is loyal to his business and that's all. He got rid of Manning who was the face of the Indianapolis Colts, Pagano/Grigson are nothing compared to Peyton.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

PREDICTION:

WHEN the Colts miss the playoffs again in 2017,  then Grigson and Pagano will be fired.      Period.

Irsay is not going more than 3 years of missing the playoffs without making major changes.

Fixed it for you.

Get ready for another wasted season. 

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

I don't think that at all. Irsay is loyal to his business and that's all. He got rid of Manning who was the face of the Indianapolis Colts, Pagano/Grigson are nothing compared to Peyton.

I think both Grigson and Pagano staying infers that Irsay knows were in a "re-build" and it'll take time to contend. 

3 hours ago, MTC said:

I think both Grigson and Pagano staying infers that Irsay knows were in a "re-build" and it'll take time to contend. 

I think last year he let Pagano "fix" his staff and they "fixed" the o situation. This year they get a chance to fix the putrid defense. If they miss the playoffs and show no growth with good draft position and $50 or 60 million in cap space they're gone. Just my opinion, that's how I would handle it.

Just now, mahagga73 said:

Geezus. How long do you get to build a decent defense . 10, 20 years. 

The good ole 8 year plan - the only one in pro sports.

Eight years?  He'll, Lombardi only coached the Packers for 9.  Aikmam only played for 12.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

And if you're right,  then you and most everyone else here will get your wish.

Irsay WILL  fire them is 2017 is another disappointment.

Perhaps...but even then it will be two years too late.  We have lost a lot of ground waiting around for these guys to get their act together. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Not really. 

1) In the literal, I don't believe STH renewals are due yet, so they have plenty of opportunity to vote with their dollars. I don't think I would feel ripped off, personally.

2) I think it's silly to believe that Irsay doesn't expect his team to perform better, or to believe that he isn't doing what he thinks is best for his franchise.

3) I also think people are taking this a little hard. I don't think Pagano should still be the coach, but I don't think he's trash, garbage, awful, pathetic, or any of the other harsh terms he's being described with in this and other threads. He's just not good enough, IMO. Irsay either hopes/believes Pagano can do better, or doesn't want to pull the trigger on a staff change until he believes he can land a clear improvement. 

So, disappointed? Yes. Upset, even mad? Sure. Screwed over, ripped off? Ehh, not so much. I believe Irsay is interested in putting out the best product, and I believe that because he's proved it over the course of two decades. Just because I disagree with his decision doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning.

Unless you have seats in the club section.  

52 minutes ago, corgi said:

He had no choice but to let Manning go. No one knew if Manning was even going to be able to throw again. I don't fault him for that. 

17 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

It would have been crazy to fire the coach one year after practically changing all the coaching staff, and put so many families on the move again.

It's also crazy to blame all of the assistants that we fired for the ills of the team. 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The thing I don't get is Irsay wasn't happy only winning one super bowl with Manning. Well Dungy was only here for 7 seasons and he was supremely successful and Chuck has done nothing near the success of Tony. Move on or you are gonna get the same results.

Chuck took the team to the AFCCG in year three.   

20 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The thing I don't get is Irsay wasn't happy only winning one super bowl with Manning. Well Dungy was only here for 7 seasons and he was supremely successful and Chuck has done nothing near the success of Tony. Move on or you are gonna get the same results.

Dungy didn't come here to an empty cupboard on both sides of the football like Pagano and Grigson along with a rookie quarterback. Peyton had been in the league about 3-4 years by that point.   Dungy also had a GM that had been to the Super Bowl any number of times on different teams so he had a much more experienced GM to work with vs Pagano having to deal with a number of costly mistakes by Grigson in the acquisition of talent early on.  Both of them were green to their roles.  Dungy had any number of years of experience being somebodies head coach before he got to Indy.  Polian had a ton of experience as well.

Not the news I wanted to hear but I felt like it was a possibility all along.  I don't think Irsay was able to land who wanted so rather than settling for someone else he elected to keep what he had. 

I do think Grigson is getting better and last year's draft and free agency class speaks to that.  So I have some hope on that front.

Pagano is the one that really worries me.  I think he sees things as the way he wants to see them rather than how they really are.  His comments early in the season about being a running team until they run him out of town spoke to that and then he reminded me again with his post season presser.  When he spoke about how beating the Jags proves they have right staff and players in place.  If anything that last game of the season spoke to what has been so wrong during the Pagano era.  They got behind early after a very slow start against one of the worst teams in the league who had fired it's coach while they were maybe playing for their coaches jobs.  The Colts then rallied with some help from the ultimate prevent defense from the Jags to beat them and then celebrated like they had just won the Super Bowl.  That's what the Colts have become a team that is thrilled to have a last second comeback win over one of the worst teams in the league at home. 

Too much this season we saw a poor game plan to start games on offense and then the defense was one of the worst the Colts have ever seen.  What Pagano has shown me is that he's a good your backs against the wall type of coach but as soon as you get to a position where you are the favored team or even just even he struggles. 

I think Irsay is flirting with the worst thing the Colts could have happen to them.  Not fans being mad, but fans just stopping to care.  The drop of TV ratings by 30% reflects that.  Maybe the fans in this town are spoiled but they are used to a winner and they aren't going to show much interest in a middle of the pack football team.  He's running the risk of a portion of his fan base just not paying attention to them anymore with a move like this.  He needs something to re-energize the fanbase.  I'll first off winning, and anytime Andrew Luck is your QB that can happen, will do it in a heart beat but I also think a coaching change would do it as well. 

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Chuck took the team to the AFCCG in year three.   

Dungy took them there in year two and never missed the playoffs here plus another AFCCG and a Super Bowl win clearly and only did not win the division twice while here and won 12 or more games every reason he was here except for one.  Chuck's record even with the AFCCG is no where near close to Dungy's while here. 

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

no, Luck was on the decline last year, the rest of the team..not so much...hence the reason they went 8-8 even without Luck.

The difference between showing decline for the last 4 years vs. showing decline for 1 year?  You don't see the difference between the 2?   Really???  I hope I'm misunderstanding your question.

Sorry, I totally misread your comment and the emphasis on "THIS YEAR".  

Although I do think we have shown decline in the last two years, and not this year alone.  Keep in mind that the team had a losing record with luck last year.  Yes, Hasselback had a winning record, and we had some glimpses of hope.  Even so, we saw the same bad coaching decisions carry over into 2016.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The Titans finished 9-7.

Great point of contention for some.  The question being, do you look at what a team's final record is, or what their record was when you played them.  I can see both sides, as times can both regress and progress throughout a season.  I am not speaking of the Titans specifically, but of teams in general.  Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He had no choice but to let Manning go. No one knew if Manning was even going to be able to throw again. I don't fault him for that. 

my point is Irsay will do whatever is best for his business. No one is safe forever. 

Both Grigson and Pagano are returning. 

Jags fans, Texans fans, and Titans fans rejoice. Colts finished 3rd place in the division they used to automatically win every year by default of it's horribleness, but that's gone now. Houston has won back to back and proven that they can get the job done, and Tennessee is quickly on the rise. If the Titans nail their upcoming draft with all the picks they have from their trade, then Tennessee could easily take the division in the next season. 

If i were you guys, I'd be worried about Coughlin going to Jacksonville...The Colts may never see another division title if Jacksonville gets their show together with the talent they have. 

2 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Jags fans, Texans fans, and Titans fans rejoice. Colts finished 3rd place in the division they used to automatically win every year by default of it's horribleness, but that's gone now. Houston has won back to back and proven that they can get the job done, and Tennessee is quickly on the rise. If the Titans nail their upcoming draft with all the picks they have from their trade, then Tennessee could easily take the division in the next season. 

If i were you guys, I'd be worried about Coughlin going to Jacksonville...The Colts may never see another division title if Jacksonville gets their show together with the talent they have. 

Shouldn't you be worried about the dumpster fire in New Orleans? 

1 minute ago, corgi said:

my point is Irsay will do whatever is best for his business. No one is safe forever. 

He let Manning go due to health reasons.  Manning would have been safe until he decided to hang them up  

Why he's hanging on the Pagano and Grigson is beyond me.  Plus, he is apparently shopping for other candidates.  

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

First draft picks:

2013 Borg Werner

2014 Trent Richardson

2015 Philip Dorsett

Remember..

1 Grigson was a novice and is still learning on the job

2 Everyone swings and misses

3 He will improve when he learns the playbook

4 Needs to slim down

7 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

We had a 7-9 team that went 8-8 this year. There is no reason why we can't have a super bowl contending team next year with the cap space. Make or break year.

Given Grigson's track record in FA, Irsay might as well take those millions of dollars out back and throw a match on it.

55 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Dungy took them there in year two and never missed the playoffs here plus another AFCCG and a Super Bowl win clearly and only did not win the division twice while here and won 12 or more games every reason he was here except for one.  Chuck's record even with the AFCCG is no where near close to Dungy's while here. 

Well stated.

42 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

You are absolutely right. Today was a great day for the other teams in the AFC South.  Colts elect to continue their commitment to mediocrity.