Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans may hear something by Jan. 12th(My guess)

Indeee

11 hours ago, Gavin said:

My fellow Colts fans I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity but its time to except that Irsay made his decision last year and that decision is Grigson and Pagano will be here through the remainder of there contracts and not a day shorter

Gavin.....     I love you madly like a Colts brother....     but I think you've jumped the gun entirely on this.

Irsay was close to firing them both last year.      I suspect he's close this year.      If we have another unimpressive year in 2017,  then I think he'll bring down the hammer.     I don't think for one moment that Irsay is married to them for four years.      I think he'd eat the remaining two years on both contracts and move on.    He does NOT want to waste Luck's best years.       This year is Year 6.       If we have three lack-luster years in a row (15, 16, 17) after three playoff level years (12, 13, 14) then the trend lines are in the wrong direction and it's time to make a move.

If you're simply implying that Irsay is never going to eat the contracts,  then I think that's not correct.    I suspect he ate years on both Caldwell and Polian?      He's going to do what he has to do.     It's just the cost of doing business,  especially when you're trying to maximize the Andrew Luck years.......

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gavin.....     I love you madly like a Colts brother....     but I think you've jumped the gun entirely on this.

Irsay was close to firing them both last year.      I suspect he's close this year.      If we have another unimpressive year in 2017,  then I think he'll bring down the hammer.     I don't think for one moment that Irsay is married to them for four years.      I think he'd eat the remaining two years on both contracts and move on.    He does NOT want to waste Luck's best years.       This year is Year 6.       If we have three lack-luster years in a row (15, 16, 17) after three playoff level years (12, 13, 14) then the trend lines are in the wrong direction and it's time to make a move.

If you're simply implying that Irsay is never going to eat the contracts,  then I think that's not correct.    I suspect he ate years on both Caldwell and Polian?      He's going to do what he has to do.     It's just the cost of doing business,  especially when you're trying to maximize the Andrew Luck years.......

No I don't think he cares that much about the contracts. I genuinely think that he believes Grigson and Pagano are the men for the jobs long term or that he will give them 4 years to prove to him they are not. Of course I hope for the best whatever Irsay decides. I want to get back on the winning track asap. I know Irsay does as well. I just don't think he is ready to give up on Grigson and Pagano soon

Lets all agree that Irsay, at this point and out of all the speculation and the rumor out there, will not blindly replace Pagano and/or Grigson with first time head coaches (not referring to Harbaugh or Saban). He probably will not make a change unless it is a splash that he thinks will last 5+ years and be a big and effective change. As a fanbase, we should hope that there are productive talks happening in the background with these mystery candidates (whether it be Peyton, Payton, Harbaugh, Saban, Gruden, etc etc) no matter how unlikely they might be because at the end of the day those options are probably the only way Irsay is going to replace Pagano and/or Grigson.

On a side note, Pagano is WAY more likely to go then Grigson which I am sure many fans are probably angry about because one can certainly argue (with merit) that Grigson is more to blame. However, that is just how the NFL works most of the time and head-coaches are replaced more often than GMs. And to be honest, we have seen Grigson change his ways, improve and adjust based on his past mistakes. However, we have not seen Pagano do the same in any significant way (not counting a few games here or there where he became aggressive all of a sudden). 

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

It's not about how long anyone would coach it's about how many SB's could be won in whatever time span it is. The reason why Pagano gets a lot of heat is because if we had any other QB than Luck, then it would be easier to live with building/rebuilding whatever as there would be time to grow. Luck, although not Manning, is a GREAT QB and a chance to get another one may never happen again, so we need to win NOW while we have him. Not settle for years of hoping to build and get better. This is why Saban is attractive.

I disagree.  If Saban is hired, it would take him at least 2 years to content.  If he is here four years, what is the point?  Then we are back to where we are now with a new coaching staff.  I would skip Saban.  I would rather get somene who does more with less.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:58 AM, Gavin said:

My fellow Colts fans I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity but its time to except that Irsay made his decision last year and that decision is Grigson and Pagano will be here through the remainder of there contracts and not a day shorter

i think the plan always was 2 years with hopes of the full contract. I think they went into this year knowing it was a rebuilt, knowing hte defense will suck (all the ocmments that we hear like "we cant fix everything in one offseason" "we wont take shortcuts" etc).

I think Irsay was always gonna give them last year as "free" but next year i dont think they will be here if they still suck.

Having said that, i can see public pressure do some havok in their plan.

Bringing them back is a separate issue..from the way he has handled if he was simply bringing them back like all other teams just make a short announcement and move on but for some reason he has not. The thought that he doesn't have to is wrong his fans desereve it and even poorly ran teams still make an announcement so something is either up or Jim Irsay is giving the fans a Middle finger

1 hour ago, Zach Boyd said:

Bringing them back is a separate issue..from the way he has handled if he was simply bringing them back like all other teams just make a short announcement and move on but for some reason he has not. The thought that he doesn't have to is wrong his fans desereve it and even poorly ran teams still make an announcement so something is either up or Jim Irsay is giving the fans a Middle finger

The problem is that whatever has been created about Pagano's future, none of it originated from Irsay, or even logic.  The question of Pagano's future is a total fabrication of the fan base, egged on by the media.

Seriously.  The team didn't go 6-10.  It went 8-8, the season after he signed a 4 year extension after going 8-8. How would logic explain his firing?

Irsay bears some responsibility to acknowledge a coaching situation when the facts logically align themselves with NFL norms...like losing records (plural).  But I don't see the need for him to chase every rumor that get essentially created by fan desires and fabrications.

I would argue that before Irsay bears responsibility to the fans, the fans bear responsibility to be sensible and not just create a storm of extreme comments.

He's not giving the fans the middle finger.  Actually, he's behaving more like a responsible parent and letting the kids ride out their tantrum.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The problem is that whatever has been created about Pagano's future, none of it originated from Irsay, or even logic.  The question of Pagano's future is a total fabrication of the fan base, egged on by the media.

Seriously.  The team didn't go 6-10.  It went 8-8, the season after he signed a 4 year extension after going 8-8. How would logic explain his firing?

Irsay bears some responsibility to acknowledge a coaching situation when the facts logically align themselves with NFL norms...like losing records (plural).  But I don't see the need for him to chase every rumor that are essentially created by fan desires and fabrications.

I would argue that before Irsay bears responsibility to the fans, the fans bear responsibility to be sensible and not just create a storm of extreme comments.

He's not giving the fans the middle finger.  Actually, he's behaving more like a responsible parent and letting the kids ride out their tantrum.

Good post. Out of curiosity, has Irsay been asked about this since the season ended by a reporter?

1 minute ago, VocableLoki said:

Good post. Out of curiosity, has Irsay been asked about this since the season ended by a reporter?

Good point.  No, not to my knowledge.   All I know is that Pagano was grilled with the same question asked 4 different ways in an attempt to get him to explode or something. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Good point.  No, not to my knowledge.   All I know is that Pagano was grilled with the same question asked 4 different ways in an attempt to get him to explode or something. 

Yeah. My only small criticism of Irsay is that you think he would step in and defend Chuck publicly after that press conf. 

4 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

As of now Pagano fulfilled the end of season press conference and was thrown to the wolves.  So Irsay has yet to say anything and does not have to if he choose so.

27 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

^ To all the Irsay mentions. I think Irsay hasn't talked to a reporter because he hasn't been able to be found by a reporter.

Literally been a ghost. Not even sure he's been physically seen by anyone other than people close to him. Which is weird, even for Irsay.

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Irsay bears some responsibility to acknowledge a coaching situation when the facts logically align themselves with NFL norms...like losing records (plural).  But I don't see the need for him to chase every rumor that get essentially created by fan desires and fabrications.

First of all I wanna say I understand there is nothing no one can say to change your views. You are Just that guy it's that simple. Secondly the media did not cause Chuck Pagano to make mental errors and poor coaching decisions nor did they draft or aquire players on this roster that is Ryan Grigsons responsibility . Third there has now been to teams in the playoffs one of which who has won a game come out and say there coach is going nowhere. Fourth If u wanna talk about logic . Logic tells you he has not settled on anything.Fifth I am a season ticket holder and these are my feeling and it overwhelmingly others feelings as well . lastly if being responsible involves handling a situation head on and not ignoring it . But I respect your views we just simply disagree

59 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Stephen Holder said he was camped out next to Irsay's golf cart on Sunday after the game, and was repeatedly asked to leave by security before he could ask Irsay anything.

Then another Colts reporter -- maybe Chappell? -- said he tried to ask Irsay something when he was going into the locker room, and Irsay told him 'not now.' 

So, Irsay has not made himself available to the media since the season ended.

Just now, Superman said:

Stephen Holder said he was camped out next to Irsay's golf cart on Sunday after the game, and was repeatedly asked to leave by security before he could ask Irsay anything.

Then another Colts reporter -- maybe Chappell? -- said he tried to ask Irsay something when he was going into the locker room, and Irsay told him 'not now.' 

I see, so really Irsay's behavior is helping keep this story alive? Or at least how people are making inferences based on his behavior.

1 minute ago, VocableLoki said:

I see, so really Irsay's behavior is helping keep this story alive? Or at least how people are making inferences based on his behavior.

Yeah. As much as Irsay doesn't technically have to say anything, he could end all of this speculation if he officially announced that Pagano and Grigson are staying.

Of course there's an argument to be made that there will be chaos regardless, people will be mad if he does come out and say they're coming back, but it's better than what's going on right now.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah. As much as Irsay doesn't technically have to say anything, he could end all of this speculation if he officially announced that Pagano and Grigson are staying.

Of course there's an argument to be made that there will be chaos regardless, people will be mad if he does come out and say they're coming back, but it's better than what's going on right now.

It's pretty obvious that he is trying to make changes. 

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

It's pretty obvious that he is trying to make changes. 

Yeah Irsay is a very smart man also media savvy he knows what is being said . If. He would have announced say last week they are comming back the backlash would have already been over . This isn't going away my thought are he is trying to land a big name and very well may come out missing. Irsay is the last guy who wants to deal with bad PR

18 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

To an extent, yes. He could have ended it a week ago.

At the same time, I think the media stoked this and lots of people are being unreasonable about it.

5 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

Yeah Irsay is a very smart man also media savvy he knows what is being said . If. He would have announced say last week they are comming back the backlash would have already been over . This isn't going away my thought are he is trying to land a big name and very well may come out missing. Irsay is the last guy who wants to deal with bad PR

But Pagano is under contract! He doesn't OWE fans anything. He just wants to stay quiet because the contract speaks for itself! That's why Irsay is denying to comment, because they're under contract. They are under contract, do you get that? The contract is unbreakable, and once the contract is signed, no one can speak or have thoughts of anything that might  dishonor the contract, because if one does speak or have thoughts that dishonor the contract, one will be cursed and might just meet their demise.

You fans are just in denial and are hoping that there will be changes. There will be no changes. Jim said that, at the moment he was interviewed, that he didn't plan on any changes. That means there will be no changes. They are under contract.

Contract, contract, contract, y'all!

Spoiled, entitled, dim, daft fans!

12 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

He is looking to make a splash hire, thats why he hasn't been seen or heard from. If it don't work out which it very well may not, then the 2 will be brought back and he will shoot down all rumors that he was ever looking. Thats how it works.  I think he would love to get rid of Pagano, but Grigson i am not so sure about. The big names he will want at HC though probably won't like the idea of working under Grigson so that could be a snag right there. If Irsay was set and ready to move forward, he would have said something by now.  That's how Irsay is.  If he felt the situation was questionable enough to need to give assurance to his head coach that he was safe, then why would he think the fan base/,media wouldn't want the same assurance?  

3 hours ago, Mameluc said:

i think the plan always was 2 years with hopes of the full contract. I think they went into this year knowing it was a rebuilt, knowing hte defense will suck (all the ocmments that we hear like "we cant fix everything in one offseason" "we wont take shortcuts" etc).

I think Irsay was always gonna give them last year as "free" but next year i dont think they will be here if they still suck.

Having said that, i can see public pressure do some havok in their plan.

You failed to build a team in 5 years. And it's rebuild again. If you have to rebuild twice you are a failure as a coach/GM. This is the reason so many people, including myself, are so upset. I suppose you have to give people second chances. At this point it would have been better to let Andrew sit behind Peyton. 

I'm also starting to think Jim's looking to make the big hire but will ultimately fail.

His "I could've made a big splash hire" quote always stuck with me. I wouldn't be surprised if that's been in the back of his mind ever since.

I think he'll fail to get anything done, possibly because the coach in question won't want to work with Grigson. Even if I think he's improved, it seems like Grigson's standing around the league is pretty bad. He'll come back and double down on his support and that'll be that.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

why would it have died off?:thinking:

It's kind of hard to imagine him walking away from his legacy at Bama on a losing effort, he doesn't seem to be wired that way. He seems like the type that'll want to come back next year and badly embarrass someone in the national title game.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's kind of hard to imagine him walking away from his legacy at Bama on a losing effort, he doesn't seem to be wired that way. He seems like the type that'll want to come back next year and badly embarrass someone in the national title game.

He left LSU for Miami after gong 9-3.  He left a Miami for bama without making the playoffs.   I just don't think he wants to coach in the nfl.   He is a God in Tuscaloosa

Just now, jvan1973 said:

He left LSU for Miami after gong 9-3.  He left a Miami for bama without making the playoffs.   I just don't think he wants to coach in the nfl.   He is a God in Tuscaloosa

Losing the national championship game with 1 second left on the clock is a pretty far cry from those other 2 scenarios. I'd bet he probably feels like he has some unfinished business in the NFL, but the way that game ended last night is probably going to eat at him for awhile.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Losing the national championship game with 1 second left on the clock is a pretty far cry from those other 2 scenarios. I'd bet he probably feels like he has some unfinished business in the NFL, but the way that game ended last night is probably going to eat at him for awhile.

All he had to do was tell his db's to interfere and hold receivers and Clemson would have had to kick the field goal because of time...Bet that's gonna eat at him forever...

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

All he had to do was tell his db's to interfere and hold receivers and Clemson would have had to kick the field goal because of time...Bet that's gonna eat at him forever...

Resorting to that cowardly tactic is so not his style though, and I feel bad for anyone who asks him if he wishes if he'd have done that. He built that ridiculous defense for that exact situation, and trusted them to get the stop. Just didn't pan out.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Resorting to that cowardly tactic is so not his style though, and I feel bad for anyone who asks him if he wishes if he'd have done that. He built that ridiculous defense for that exact situation, and trusted them to get the stop. Just didn't pan out.

Spurrier said on Mike and Mike today that if he would have thought about it he wouldve done that...Coaching is about winning, if that guarantees ot you do it...If they did and ended up winning in OT everyone would have talked about how brilliant he was...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

this is so un-Irsay like too, this is why I think he's trying to upgrade.  Question is, can he?

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Spurrier said on Mike and Mike today that if he would have thought about it he wouldve done that...Coaching is about winning, if that guarantees ot you do it...If they did and ended up winning in OT everyone would have talked about how brilliant he was...

It'd be entertaining to see Saban's reaction if someone were to ask him if he wished that he would've instructed his players to hold the opposing WRs to run the clock out. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

this is so un-Irsay like too, this is why I think he's trying to upgrade.  Question is, can he?

sure makes you think something is up....though I think that unless he can make a splash(Gruden, etc) he'll stay with what there is for at least this season.

now there could also be absolutely nothing going on too....but the secrecy sure does lead to speculation, so you never know.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It'd be entertaining to see Saban's reaction if someone were to ask him if he wished that he would've instructed his players to hold the opposing WRs to run the clock out. 

Yeah, but it's kind of a bush league move to try and embarrass someone like Saban with hind sight.

I could see the media doing it, though.

17 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

sure makes you think something is up....though I think that unless he can make a splash(Gruden, etc) he'll stay with what there is for at least this season.

now there could also be absolutely nothing going on too....but the secrecy sure does lead to speculation, so you never know.

I agree.  Based solely on Irsay's past comments, to me, the only big splashes that'd be upgrades as far as HC would be (not in any order) Saban, Harbuargh, Gruden.  Outside of those 3, I don't think he'll make that change. 

For GM, unless he gives one of the above full power, the only splash in GM land would be......Peyton Manning.  At least in my uneducated and uninformed opinion.

that said, i think we hear something this week.  One way or the other.  Too much going on and being reported of this for Jim to ignore it much longer