Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should the Colts draft first RB or LB?

I don't see why everyone wants a running back in the first. I get that Cook is a stud, but drafting a stud pass rusher or ILB will be a major step in rebuilding a horrible defense. Our offense was one of the best in the NFL this year, and we lost lost so many games because our defense couldn't tackle on every other play. We were 8th in points scored this year and 22nd in points allowed. Our offense has its identity, and the defense needs help. Take a defensive player round one and then 5 of our 6 other picks should be defensive, with our 2nd or 3rd getting us our running back. This class is extremely deep at running back, with some potential studs lasting until the beginning of day 3. The pass rushing class is deep, too, but is seen as much more valuable in the NFL drafts and most stars will be gone by the late second, early third. Get our pass rusher while we can and grab a running back later.

17 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I don't see why everyone wants a running back in the first. I get that Cook is a stud, but drafting a stud pass rusher or ILB will be a major step in rebuilding a horrible defense. Our offense was one of the best in the NFL this year, and we lost lost so many games because our defense couldn't tackle on every other play. We were 8th in points scored this year and 22nd in points allowed. Our offense has its identity, and the defense needs help. Take a defensive player round one and then 5 of our 6 other picks should be defensive, with our 2nd or 3rd getting us our running back. This class is extremely deep at running back, with some potential studs lasting until the beginning of day 3. The pass rushing class is deep, too, but is seen as much more valuable in the NFL drafts and most stars will be gone by the late second, early third. Get our pass rusher while we can and grab a running back later.

You're going to be fighting this battle all draft season. Good luck

Cook is actually a pretty small RB. I think he's listed at 205. That's one issue I have with him. If you're going to draft a RB in the 1st I'd like him to be 220-225

On 1/4/2017 at 11:35 AM, Vinatieri4 said:

It's hard to pass up a good running back talent, but Gore probably has a solid 1 year left in the tank. We don't need a home run hitter at RB.  Model the team after the Patriots!!! No more big name guys at skilled positions!!!

Get a Pass Catching Back for third down (??? Turbin as well?)

Get a short yardage back (Turbin for a year or two)

Get a first and second down back (Gore for a season)

I think that's what truly makes the Patriots great, sure they have Gronk and Brady, but historically speaking they don't spend the money on skilled positions, they spread it out on defense, and O line. We need to do the same. 

Unless if a once in a generation talent falls in your lap, then you have to take him, but other than that I don't see a point in taking a guy who could turn out to be the next Melvin Gordon so early in the first round.

But why have 3 guys to do those things when Cook can do it all? He's the complete package and the one thing he has over Fournette is that he's a better pass catcher.

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

Omg common sense!! So refreshing to see.

7 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Yeah let's do exactly what we said we weren't going to do. Build another strictly offense team with a below average defense. Smh. Wrong.

Grigson said on the radio a couple of weeks ago that they are an offensively driven team. So if that's how he/Irsay/Pagano view this team going forward, and that is how the team has been built so far, then yes it is worth considering Cook.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But why have 3 guys to do those things when Cook can do it all? He's the complete package and the one thing he has over Fournette is that he's a better pass catcher.

I mean you wouldn't have to have 3 guys. You could get away with two running backs. But I feel like using one back wears him down throughout the season, and shortens his career.  

And although I know people hate saying we should build a team like the Patriots, I feel like they are the model of success. Sure they have a few superstars, Brady, Gronk, and a few others, but with Gronk out, their offense really hasn't missed a beat 

Brady really hasn't had a superstar wide out besides Moss. If you notice they always have possession wide receivers, and then they will bring in a big tall wide out as well to have different roles. I just feel like having many guys playing many roles is the way to go, instead of having all your chips in one guy.

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Grigson said on the radio a couple of weeks ago that they are an offensively driven team. So if that's how he/Irsay/Pagano view this team going forward, and that is how the team has been built so far, then yes it is worth considering Cook.

Well thats terrible, seriously terrible. We weren't suppose to be just an offensive team, at all. Making the same damn mistakes again, it's soo * annoying. 

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Our Defense is Bad and we need lots of talent to turn it around. As nice as a stud LBer would be he would not help this team as much OR as quickly as a franchise playmaking RB would.

There will be LBers in round 2 and later.

You just contradicted what you said. "Our defense is bad", true, "and we need lots of talent to turn it around." Agreed. Then, to summarize "Running back is more important." Wait, what? If we need more talent, shouldn't we get the best available talent rather than, as per usual, get someone to bolster the offense and get a second tier defensive talent? I may be wrong, but to me and all other 31 GMs in the league, defense is built on top-tier talent, which last I checked, we have Vontae Davis and thats about it. 

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

No he said that's what the make up of the team currently is.   That's who we are right now because it's obvious the offense is better than the defense.  Doesn't mean they won't seek to balance the team out.  Wouldn't be mad with Cook though.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

No he said that's what the make up of the team currently is.   That's who we are right now because it's obvious the offense is better than the defense.  Doesn't mean they won't seek to balance the team out.  Wouldn't be mad with Cook though.

No but I'm sure you'd be mad when the Colts defense is yet again TERRIBLE next year and costs them games like they did this year. We had the league leading WR and missed the freaking playoffs. Our offense IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Taking a middling level defensive player at the pick isn't going to improve the team either.  Take the Elite running back and find defensive talent at another point is what you do.  If you weren't in your feelings you'd see that.   If there is an elite level Defensive player at the 1st Round pick then you take that defender.  If there isn't one then you take the highest graded guy on your board.  If that's a RB then so be it. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Taking a middling level defensive player at the pick isn't going to improve the team either.  Take the Elite running back and find defensive talent at another point is what you do.  If you weren't in your feelings you'd see that.   If there is an elite level Defensive player at the 1st pick then you take that defender. 

The question becomes, who do we think could realistically be available on the defensive side of the ball that could become elite?

For me, I would consider that list to be rather short. Foster (ILB), T. Williams(OLB), Tabor (CB), Humphrey (CB), Jamal Adams (SS)? Anyone else?

31 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Wrong. So wrong. 

No, your wrong.

11 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

You just contradicted what you said. "Our defense is bad", true, "and we need lots of talent to turn it around." Agreed. Then, to summarize "Running back is more important." Wait, what? If we need more talent, shouldn't we get the best available talent rather than, as per usual, get someone to bolster the offense and get a second tier defensive talent? I may be wrong, but to me and all other 31 GMs in the league, defense is built on top-tier talent, which last I checked, we have Vontae Davis and thats about it. 

I doubt we resign Walden, meaning we will need to acquire 4 new starting LB'ers. There will be no LB on our roster that should be a starter on a decent defense. Morrison should only be a backup and come in in short yardage/goal-line situations.

We really need a top CB on the opposite side of Vontae who is not getting any younger.

We need a Safety. Green is clueless and if Adams comes back he's old.

We need someone disruptive on the DL, maybe a NT or a pass rushing end.

That's up to 7 players on Defense we need. Coach Venturi  basically talk the same lines.

If WE HIT with a stud LB with our 14th pick, a Big If if Griggs is drafting, we still need so many other players on D to show adequate improvement.

A franchise RB, not just a normal RB, a franchise RB will improve the team so much and immediately. Naturally our running game will improve. Our passing game will improve also because defenses will have to play more honest. Luck should have more time and get hit less. And our defense will be more rested because there should be more sustained drives and less 3 & outs.

In fact, a franchise RB may actually improve the D more than a 14th pick on D.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

No, your wrong.

I doubt we resign Walden, meaning we will need to acquire 4 new starting LB'ers. There will be no LB on our roster that should be a starter on a decent defense. Morrison should only be a backup and come in in short yardage/goal-line situations.

We really need a top CB on the opposite side of Vontae who is not getting any younger.

That's up to 7 players on Defense we need. Coach Venturi  basically talk the same lines.

If WE HIT with a stud LB with our 14th pick, a Big If if Griggs is drafting, we still need so many other players on D to show adequate improvement.

A franchise RB, not just a normal RB, a franchise RB will improve the team so much and immediately. Naturally our running game will improve. Our passing game will improve also because defenses will have to play more honest. Luck should have more time and get hit less. And our defense will be more rested because there should be more sustained drives and less 3 & outs.

How in the world am I wrong? 

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

The question becomes, who do we think could realistically be available on the defensive side of the ball that could become elite?

For me, I would consider that list to be rather short. Foster (ILB), T. Williams(OLB), Tabor (CB), Humphrey (CB), Jamal Adams (SS)? Anyone else?

Could be but who knows!  I've given up guessing because the Colts ultimately do what they think is best for them according to there board.   I might think a guy is such and such and they may not.  Remember the kid from Baylor last year that everybody thought was elite?

12 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Off the top of my head, Zach Cunningham, Malik Hooker, the recently posted thread on Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, and a few others who I am forgetting

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Lol, I just explained it above.

So you say we need a good linebacker(s), a good CB and possibly a safety? I agree. 

Then you say we need a RB. And I agree with that too and what you said, but we need the defense more. Our Defense is terrible everywhere.  And I actually do think a playmaker on D could show "adequate improvement" to the team, I think it could be a big improvement. We could get two starters on defense, and I think 1 could make plays! Linebackers are a huge part of the game today. We need the defense more.

I mean I honestly wouldn't be upset to start the season with Turbin and gore. Maybe draft a rb in the 3rd or 4th. 

11 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Off the top of my head, Zach Cunningham, Malik Hooker, the recently posted thread on Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, and a few others who I am forgetting

True. And I'm sure everyone's list on these guys will be different. On the other hand, I don't know that there is anyone arguing Cook ISN'T going to be an elite running back as long as he has a halfway mediocre offensive line.

As far as Cunningham, my bold prediction for this draft is that he'll end up being the 4th ILB taken behind Foster, Davis, McMillan. That, or a team will draft him to be an OLB. He's got a long way to go IMO.

I wouldn't be opposed if it's Cook available. Otherwise, like a lot of others seem to feel, there might not be a good value OLB availble and the only ILB worth taking at 15 will probably be gone. So if Cook is there I wouldn't be opposed, but I would even say that would be my first choice in that scenario. We could always trade down  or we could go D-line like McDowell. I'm a total Alvin Kamara fanboy for now so, I'm hoping we trade back pick up some more picks and get Kamara in the late 2nd (maybe even 3rd). And get defense for all of the other picks. All of this said, a lot change post-combine and pro days so there could emerge some guys who shoot up the boards and deserve more attention (hopefully a pass rusher!).

19 hours ago, krunk said:

Taking a middling level defensive player at the pick isn't going to improve the team either.  Take the Elite running back and find defensive talent at another point is what you do.  If you weren't in your feelings you'd see that.   If there is an elite level Defensive player at the 1st Round pick then you take that defender.  If there isn't one then you take the highest graded guy on your board.  If that's a RB then so be it. 

If it's an offensive player you trade down.

21 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

No, your wrong.

That was a great list of all the needs, but the problem is that is how to make the perfect team. Nobody has ever had the perfect team. There will always be a need. Always. What this team needs more than anything else by the middle of next season is an identity on defense. Back in the day we were a pass rushing defense with Mathis and Freeney. A couple years ago we were close to it with "no fly zone". Seattle has the legion of boom secondary. Kansas city has theirs with their secondary being made up of ballhawks. That what we need. Are we gonna finish off this D line and make it something that puts fear into o-lines? Are we gonna finish off the secondary so we have a great pass defense that helps the rush. Or are we gonna get some nasty linebackers that will punch you in the mouth and you didn't even have the ball. If we can at least find an identity on defense that can stick to go.with our offense then I guarantee we make the playoffs. If we add around that identity next year we will be super bowl contenders.

21 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I wouldn't be opposed if it's Cook available. Otherwise, like a lot of others seem to feel, there might not be a good value OLB availble and the only ILB worth taking at 15 will probably be gone. So if Cook is there I wouldn't be opposed, but I would even say that would be my first choice in that scenario. We could always trade down  or we could go D-line like McDowell. I'm a total Alvin Kamara fanboy for now so, I'm hoping we trade back pick up some more picks and get Kamara in the late 2nd (maybe even 3rd). And get defense for all of the other picks. All of this said, a lot change post-combine and pro days so there could emerge some guys who shoot up the boards and deserve more attention (hopefully a pass rusher!).

There will be a great defensive player at #15. Bank on it  

This is what Grigson got him a lot of heat not drafting key players in key positions.  You can't lose drafting Dalving Cook if available.  You can always trade up to draft a key Edge and OLB on the next round if you're a smart GM.  Since we don't have a smart GM, you can throw the aforementioned out the window.  Then, you're stuck with the statement, "Wait til next year"' again, and again.  Pure Dental Work Folks!!