Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doesn't the owner see all these posts about why change is good for the team?

gacoop1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever Irsay does...i'm ok with it. If he cleans house..fine..If he keeps them all because this is in effect Grigson's 2nd year in the "build in your own back yard" scheme, then I'll actually be impressed with him.  For the last 2 years,..the drafts have had more Berring on our team than in previous years where Grigs went off the boat and went all in with free agents.  

No matter the case, everyone knows this teams needs upgrades ALL across the linebacker positions, and another shut down corner. Hopefully those are the targets for the top 4 picks this year.  that is IF ofcourse they drop in the BPA also.(yes, and a runing back NOT picked up in the UDFA.)

On January 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Since I'm often the Kill-Joy around here and bursting other people's balloons, I think it's only fair to say how much I love, Love, LOVE this thread.

You're 1st line cracked me up NCF. Not that I think you are a 'kill joy" at all. I just like the unvarnished bluntness of that statement.

Like a guy who says hey, if anybody gonna bring this party to a screeching halt. I'm your man. Waka, Waka, Waka! haha

I always read your commentary & value your perspective NCF. Never forget that. 

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You're 1st line cracked me up NCF. Not that I think you are a 'kill joy" at all. I just like the unvarnished bluntness of that statement.

Like a guy who says hey, if anybody gonna bring this party to a screeching halt. I'm your man. Waka, Waka, Waka! haha

I always read your commentary & value your perspective NCF. Never forget that. 

Many thanks, SW1....     your friendship is deeply appreciated...

But I've noticed that when people make posts, I'm often a guy who comes along and tries to explain why someones idea to improve the team won't work.   Whether it's hiring someone,  firing someone,  trading someone, signing someone,  or drafting someone,  I try to explain why things are not likely to happen the way a poster might want.

And I don't think it's earned me many friends....    well...   perhaps a few!

So, I've actually tried to do less of that this year....   I think I've posted less this year than any year....

All that said....

Draft season is upon us...   so since I know that well,  I suspect I'll be bursting a few more balloon now....    this is an amazingly important off-season for the Colts whether we make changes at the top or not.    Interesting times ahead.

Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts......     

On January 4, 2017 at 0:47 AM, gacoop1 said:

Change is always good if your team is not performing up to their potential.

To answer your question honestly GC1, I have no doubt that Jim Irsay reads as much feedback on the forum as he can given his busy schedule. He knows that fans are disappointed over how our season ended missing the playoffs. Jimmy isn't foolish. He knows that a QB of Luck's needs to be protected & that SB victories are an expectation in this city. I love that fierce, cut throat mentality toward winning it all every single season & that he is always willing to spend money in free agency if he believes a trade is worth it. 

The best thing about Irsay is this: Once he determines a regime change is in order, he clears the decks very fast without hesitation. I also get the financial side of it too from his vantage point. I don't want to pay Pags & Grigs all that money for nothing without giving them a chance to improve Luck's protection in the pocket & close out games in the 4th QTR. 

The tough thing for me to get a handle on was a HC & GM that had some early friction as they determined their new roles, fought to keep this partnership together, & whether or not this plea to the owner to retain their jobs will translate into victories down the stretch next yr. It's hard to gauge what goes on behind closed doors inside LOS. 

Jimmy won't permit the Colts to crumble or fade into playoff irrelevancy. Trust me. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Many thanks, SW1....     your friendship is deeply appreciated...

But I've noticed that when people make posts, I'm often a guy who comes along and tries to explain why someones idea to improve the team won't work.   Whether it's hiring someone,  firing someone,  trading someone, signing someone,  or drafting someone,  I try to explain why things are not likely to happen the way a poster might want.

And I don't think it's earned me many friends....    well...   perhaps a few!

So, I've actually tried to do less of that this year....   I think I've posted less this year than any year....

All that said....

Draft season is upon us...   so since I know that well,  I suspect I'll be bursting a few more balloon now....    this is an amazingly important off-season for the Colts whether we make changes at the top or not.    Interesting times ahead.

Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts......     

Yeah, it's like the guy who breaks up with his fiancee by telling her what all her faults & warts are after she asks what's wong with me? Let's not go there honey. No, I really wanna know. Okay, here we go...Don't kill the messenger. 

I admire the courage it takes to tell a person something unpleasant or something not even on their radar screen. A lot of fans get lost in the world of contracts or draft speculation & the devil in the details doesn't really concern them. They just wanna win annually with no hiccups whatsoever. 

Don't worry about any backlash over what you might say regarding a draft selection or coaching staff configurations NCF. Your well respected here. I suspect that not too many posters on here have the journalistic credentials you do. 

On 1/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is my favorite thread,  not only for today,  but in the last few months as well.

There are lots and lots and lots of really good answers!     Really good!

But this one tickles me the most!        So you get this.....      :colts:         :heart:           :thanks:

Note:    We used to have an emoji that started as one thing and then turned into a bouquet of flowers.    If we still had that,   I'd give you that too!

:flowers: 

On January 5, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

Whatever Irsay does...i'm ok with it. If he cleans house..fine..If he keeps them all because this is in effect Grigson's 2nd year in the "build in your own back yard" scheme, then I'll actually be impressed with him.  For the last 2 years,..the drafts have had more Berring on our team than in previous years where Grigs went off the boat and went all in with free agents.  

No matter the case, everyone knows this teams needs upgrades ALL across the linebacker positions, and another shut down corner. Hopefully those are the targets for the top 4 picks this year.  that is IF ofcourse they drop in the BPA also.(yes, and a runing back NOT picked up in the UDFA.)

If Delvin Cook is there when it's time to draft in the first.... Take him! Gore is great but not getting younger.

Perhaps the fans can offer some insights on how the team is doing, needs, etc...All he has to is look at the results and ask why is the team performing this way? If you're clueless, just want to reward non-performers then you reap what you sew.  Your stuck with your decision again for another year of mediocrity of going no where! Luck ask for a trade if you're half as smart as you say you are, cuz you ain't going nowhere either if you stick around here....

First, I will assume the original post was a joke.

Second, I don't know which poster said this, but it went along the lines of "if fans ran the team, we'd be cutting half the team and getting a new coach after every loss."  Well, something like that!  LOL.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:12 PM, VaAllDay757 said:

It ain't about what the fans want entirely it's just making the obvious change....like it's OBVIOUS chuck is not good enough to be a head coach

personal opinion, many disagree

, it's OBVIOUS grigs is not a good GM,

It's obvious that he's shown improvement.

it's OBVIOUS we can't keep luck clean for the most part,

Ok so you stopped watching games in the middle of the season.  Weird but ok.  It might be worthwhile to know that Luck was among the LEAST sacked QBs in the final 8 games of the season. 

it's OBVIOUS the running game is still not there (yes gore ran for a 1,000 yards this season but look how long it's been since the last time that has happened)

What does how long it's been since the last time we've had a 1000 yard rusher have to do with the running game's effectiveness in 2016?  hint...the answer is: absolutely nothing.  It's not the the Colts  can't run the ball, it's that they abandon it too quickly. 

it's OBVIOUS the defensive scheme chuck believes in does not work,

what complete and utter nonsense.  he's using a very similar scheme as Wade Phillips and other 1-gap 3-4 coaches.  The scheme works when you have the proper talent to run it.  But Wade Phillips' defense is going to struggle if he has Chris Milton, Rashaan Melvin and Darryl Morris in his secondary.  Not to mention the incredibly inconsistent and often times incredibly poor performances by our ILBs...and of course the lack of a legit edge rusher.

Another sad day in my Colts history.  First, the day Rossenblum traded my beloved Colts to Irasy.  Second, the day Irsay stole my Colts from Baltimore.  Third, the day Jimy took over and now!  I am done with the Colts.  Fifty some years of nonsense!  Burning all my % from Irsay era to no except Peyton!  Long live Peyton!

I'm at peace with the lack of changes. I think maybe Grigson needed to go because it's easier to see his mistakes than Pagano's. The division is improved, but we are still winning with a unrefined and depleted roster. I blame Grigson some for missing some key picks and putting us in this roster hole in the wake of Luck's contract extension, but I do think he'should made some sharp finds. I have to think Irsay sees the good and the bads and is willing to see if these guys have learned from the past. I think these two could do it, I don't fault Irsay for giving it another shot. I often wonder how many GMs or coaches with potential never got a real chance because they inherited a franchise in shambles and weren't given time to rebuild. Pags and Grigs were given time and got us to an AFC championship. Luck got a new contract and injuries mounted, and I think think we are still in position fiscally to approach this off-season with the goal of turning things back up next year. I wish the two the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

personal opinion, many disagree

It's obvious that he's shown improvement.

Ok so you stopped watching games in the middle of the season.  Weird but ok.  It might be worthwhile to know that Luck was among the LEAST sacked QBs in the final 8 games of the season. 

What does how long it's been since the last time we've had a 1000 yard rusher have to do with the running game's effectiveness in 2016?  hint...the answer is: absolutely nothing.  It's not the the Colts  can't run the ball, it's that they abandon it too quickly. 

what complete and utter nonsense.  he's using a very similar scheme as Wade Phillips and other 1-gap 3-4 coaches.  The scheme works when you have the proper talent to run it.  But Wade Phillips' defense is going to struggle if he has Chris Milton, Rashaan Melvin and Darryl Morris in his secondary.  Not to mention the incredibly inconsistent and often times incredibly poor performances by our ILBs...and of course the lack of a legit edge rusher.

Again who the most sacked/hit qb in the league? Don't care what the o-line did in the last 8 games there are 16 games played total...start great finish great they lack that alot. What improvement has chuck shown???? You talking about another chuck. Lol@ using a scheme similar to another coach like that's gonna make him look better it's not, atleast wade uses his scheme correctly unlike chuck 3rd and long denver actually put both their safties deep chuck still only keeps one saftey deep which is stupid because a corner can get beat which has happen plenty of times before. Again it's obvious

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think I'm a reasonably smart guy, but I think Irsay knows more about how to run a team than I do.

I just happened to see your post when I came here to post this:

I don't want Jim Irsay taking advice from anyone on this forum....including me.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I just happened to see your post when I came here to post this:

I don't want Jim Irsay taking advice from anyone on this forum....including me.

Nor me.  I can't get over the number of crazies on this forum. They actually think he is going to listen to THEM!

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Again who the most sacked/hit qb in the league?

that would be Tyrod Taylor

Don't care what the o-line did in the last 8 games there are 16 games played total.

It's called "progress".  It's called "improvement".  You claimed that the Colts can't keep Luck clean...and the aforementioned progress and improvement shows that they are definitely moving in the right direction in terms of keeping Luck clean.  Yes, they struggled early on...any team that turns over their entire offensive coaching staff, installs a new offense AND installs a new blocking scheme is going to struggle early on.  If you thought they were going to come out of the gate in game 1 and play like they've been playing together for 10 years then your wildly unreasonable expectations are what let you down...not the Colts OL.  Chud's playcalling didn't help either.

using a scheme similar to another coach like that's gonna make him look better it's not, atleast wade uses his scheme correctly unlike chuck 3rd and long denver actually put both their safties deep chuck still only keeps one saftey deep which is stupid because a corner can get beat which has happen plenty of times before.

ok, your issue is with the playcalling...not the scheme.  I was simply pointing out that many coaches in the league run the same scheme...which is a 1-gap 3-4 defense...so your claim that Chuck's scheme didn't work was patently false. 

17 hours ago, Colts6669 said:

Another sad day in my Colts history.  First, the day Rossenblum traded my beloved Colts to Irasy.  Second, the day Irsay stole my Colts from Baltimore.  Third, the day Jimy took over and now!  I am done with the Colts.  Fifty some years of nonsense!  Burning all my % from Irsay era to no except Peyton!  Long live Peyton!

Fourth: this post

16 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jim Irsay doesn't give a crap about us fans the only thing he cares about is how much money is going in his pocket.

This is Irsay's life! Nobody wants to win more than he does. I don't agree with all his decisions, but I have never doubted for a minute that he's not doing what he feels is best for the team and his business.

The better the team, the more popular the team, the more $$$ he'll make. Pretty sure he knows this. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

This is Irsay's life! Nobody wants to win more than he does. I don't agree with all his decisions, but I have never doubted for a minute that he's not doing what he feels is best for the team and his business.

The better the team, the more popular the team, the more $$$ he'll make. Pretty sure he knows this. 

Oh the team has popularity just as a negative because its a pathetic excuse right now and will continue to be until these clowns are gone.

18 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jim Irsay doesn't give a crap about us fans the only thing he cares about is how much money is going in his pocket.

Good grief.

He doesn't care about the fans in the same way ALL OWNERS don't care about the fans.     No owner should be responding to a poll of what the fans want.     Fans are (A) not as informed and (B) they change their minds all the time.     What they'll want tomorrow is different than what they want today.

And Irsay also knows the way to get more money in his pocket is to WIN!!       HELLO?!?     Winning will make Irsay even richer.       So, maybe he's making decisions that he thinks will help him win.

Because your basic argument boils down to this.....     the fans know more about his team than he does.

That's not true and it's not even close to being true.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good grief.

He doesn't care about the fans in the same way ALL OWNERS don't care about the fans.     No owner should be responding to a poll of what the fans want.     Fans are (A) not as informed and (B) they change their minds all the time.     What they'll want tomorrow is different than what they want today.

And Irsay also knows the way to get more money in his pocket is to WIN!!       HELLO?!?     Winning will make Irsay even richer.       So, maybe he's making decisions that he thinks will help him win.

Because your basic argument boils down to this.....     the fans know more about his team than he does.

That's not true and it's not even close to being true.

Well it wont help him win it hasn't yet so he is still a *.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well it wont help him win it hasn't yet so he is still a *.

Yeah.     Right.

Three years of 11-5 and the playoffs.      Two years of 8-8.      

So, he's still an * in your eyes and the others of many others here.

I'm sorry so many think this way......     really, very sorry that you do.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.     Right.

Three years of 11-5 and the playoffs.      Two years of 8-8.      

So, he's still an * in your eyes and the others of many others here.

I'm sorry so many think this way......     really, very sorry that you do.

Three years of 11-5 one of those was Bruce Arians who in my opinion is a way better coach than Pagano but Grigson is the worst GM of all time.

39 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Three years of 11-5 one of those was Bruce Arians who in my opinion is a way better coach than Pagano but Grigson is the worst GM of all time.

Grigson gets the credit there because he went 11-5 THE NEXT TWO YEARS after Arians left.

That tells me we would've been the same 11-5 if Pagano had been healthy all year.

Also.....

Did you happen to notice how Arians did this year?       His team was the favorite to go the Super Bowl for the NFC and they finished 7-8-1.        How does Arians look now?      You think there aren't fans in Arizona giving him heat?        Hey,  I love Arians as a head coach too.       But this is harder than it looks.