Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalvin Cook (Mega Merge)


Recommended Posts

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I edited my Post, I thought it was PacerGeek that started it haha. PacerGeek said we should give up multiple Draft picks to get Cook.

It was a thread by pacergeek, but it got moved and merged

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, twfish said:

It was a thread by pacergeek, but it got moved and merged

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused for a moment because I know i saw pacergeek and was positive thats who i was responding to. You may want to undicate (or a mod) that it was merged. A handful of us were confused.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

Pretty much nailed it...The difference between the olb you can get at 15 is about the same as pick 45 in this draft...Cook or Fournette will probably be gone, but if 1 is there you take them..Only defensive player with value at 15 will be Foster or Cunningham unless we go safety which isn't a great need..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mulled over it today and I realized that the Colts almost have to take Cook. And here's why.

 

I took a look around the league and looked at a bunch of RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley (he'll bounce back), Leveon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Devonta Freeman. With the exception of Elliot, the league is filled with young successful RBs that the Colts have had a chance at.

 

No longer can the Colts sit and watch other teams draft RBs who come in and give the team the ground game that they need. The Colts want to be a physical team that can run the ball hard but they haven't had anyone to do it. Now we can say "oh they can get a RB later" but they may not get an elite one and then we'll be hear in a few months making the usual excuses about how he just needs more time, he's not being used right, or how he has all this potential.

 

The Colts cannot afford to pass on Cook which is why I think you see him mocked to us by every draft site. The Colts need to get an elite RB now while they have a chance.  They've waited long enough to get a franchise back and the time is now. Cook is an elite talent and will be more elite than any defensive player that might be there. I know we need a pass rusher and defense in general but a true elite RB is the missing piece to the offense. The O-line is improving too with Haeg and Clark starting to come into their own. Kelly will only get better. Mewhort is a stud. Combine that with a good RB like Cook and we can really get a consistent run game going. He doesn't need an A+ level O-line to be successful. Plus he's amazing in the passing game. I think he compares to LT. Colts cannot pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I mulled over it today and I realized that the Colts almost have to take Cook. And here's why.

 

I took a look around the league and looked at a bunch of RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley (he'll bounce back), Leveon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Devonta Freeman. With the exception of Elliot, the league is filled with young successful RBs that the Colts have had a chance at.

 

No longer can the Colts sit and watch other teams draft RBs who come in and give the team the ground game that they need. The Colts want to be a physical team that can run the ball hard but they haven't had anyone to do it. Now we can say "oh they can get a RB later" but they may not get an elite one and then we'll be hear in a few months making the usual excuses about how he just needs more time, he's not being used right, or how he has all this potential.

 

The Colts cannot afford to pass on Cook which is why I think you see him mocked to us by every draft site. The Colts need to get an elite RB now while they have a chance.  They've waited long enough to get a franchise back and the time is now. Cook is an elite talent and will be more elite than any defensive player that might be there. I know we need a pass rusher and defense in general but a true elite RB is the missing piece to the offense. The O-line is improving too with Haeg and Clark starting to come into their own. Kelly will only get better. Mewhort is a stud. Combine that with a good RB like Cook and we can really get a consistent run game going. He doesn't need an A+ level O-line to be successful. Plus he's amazing in the passing game. I think he compares to LT. Colts cannot pass.

This is the best argument for Cook I've heard. Definitely will keep an eye on him leading up to the draft. At this point, he would be great value at 14 or 15.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think he knocked a girl out last year...Doubt we touch him...

I'm sure we won't. The guy knows he messed up if he had a history I wouldn't want to draft him but he made a mistake owned up to it and served his time. I just believe in 2nd chances everyone deserves them IMO but if you mess that up then I have no sympathy for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Scratch that mixon idea I'm sure he will return to OU 

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Scumbag 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

He will for sure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, masnerj said:

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

 

For a new member and only 35 posts you are right on point.

Good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2017 at 0:24 AM, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Yeah, I wouldn't want the Colts to touch Mixon. Let some other team draft that punk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to disappoint but Cook who I would love to have is going to be gone in the first five. After the Florida State Michigan game, his stock just sailed up the board. He has even risen above Fournette, which I agree with since he can do so much more, and Fournette has been injury prone. Bottom line, he won't be there at 14.

 

The one thing I am hoping which is happening at least right now is RB and QB's are sneaking back into the 1st round. Cook and Fournette, Trubisky from NC, and Deshaun Watson has made a big jump. I believe they all go top 10, which means a quality LB like Foster moves back. If Foster was there at 11 or 12, and we were at 14, I would go up to get him. Just like we did with Kelly this year, we need a sure fire fit who can play right away in the first round, no gambles. Foster can cover, is a fierce tackling machine, and would make a great leader in the middle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Briggs32 said:

If we do draft Cook, I hope we sign Zeitler, Leary or Whitworth. I would love Zeitler at a 5-6 year deal at 8/9 million a year if we could.  Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Zeitler, Haeg looks good.  

Exactly, no sense in drafting cook if we don't have a line for him to run behind

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The game plan this week was much better than last week, but play calling was still lacking. We're still predictable, but honestly I don't want to show much (unless we have to) until we get to Chicago in two weeks.   At least we didn't run Hines between the tackles lol. I was fearing that with Mack now gone. I was pretty curious as to why Hines wasn't targeted more in the passing game.    I'm not too unhappy with the pass/run balance, but not happy either. 25/40 is a bit unbalanced, but we won. It was better than the converse 46/22 last week when we passed way too much and lost. The league average I think is about 60% (highest 67, lowest 46) passing. We were about 40% passing this week and 67% last week. That's a crazy swing.   As far as deep shots, I think we're only going to see 2-4 per game (unless we down late). Just enough to keep Ds from biting up to much. Don't expect Pittman or Pascal to be a deep target though, unless we're running a pure go route with 4 or 5 guys all trying to blow the top of the D. Pittman would be OK on a deep 50/50, but Reich prefers to at least try and get the WR behind the DB. It's more likely TY and PC. Maybe Hines, but then you remove PR's safety valve (unless you line him up at slot with another RB in the backfield, or go 2 back set). Dulin and Fountain are both capable deep guys. Patmon probably a better deep option than Pittman because he's faster.
    • So what?  The Jets?  You get 26 carries you expect at least a hundo.     The Colts averaged 4.5 ypc last season. This year JT is at 3.5.  GB had over 5 ypc  v MN last week.  I am not impressed with this guys star power.      
    • Fair point. For me, though, when I hear a player being called a bust, I equate it to the name caller implying he’s a crap player, talent-wise.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...