Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Florio said...

RockThatBlue

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

This. Irsay probably made his mind up weeks ago, if any game effected his decision, it was probably the second loss to Houston.

But who knows? Maybe Irsay for some reason still sees something in both of them and keeps them. After last years train wreck by the Indy media, I'm not believing anything until Irsay does a presser (probably tomorrow) and says it himself.

I still don't expect them to make any changes. The biggest reason being that Irsay signed them to MULTI YEAR extensions. If it was like a 1 or 2 year deal, than I could see them being on the hot seat. But by giving em 4 years, and preaching continuity, I don't think Irsay would be willing to part with them just yet.

Plus, and I'm not advocating for them to stay, but there's no doubt the Colts got super unlucky what with all the injuries at the start and the end of the year. If a few more things bounced the Colts' way, they'd probably be in the playoffs right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation (at least to this extent).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Won't believe any of these rumors until we hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to say.

So much nonsense to sift through at this time of year. Just like last year how they were both DEFINITELY gone according to all the insiders.

These guys just make things up.

Right.  I can't believe all of the excuses the local media made last year for being dead wrong after Irsay gave them both extensions.  They had cartons of eggs on their faces.  I'm with you.  I won't believe anything until it happens.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed.

They sure do stick up for each other, btw. They've been complaining today about how Grigson won't do interviews with any of the beat guys. Sounds like how Kravitz and Chappell complained about Polian giving scoops to Chris Mortensen instead of local guys... 

Colts coverage is pretty bad, IMO. 

I noticed that too. We badly need some new people covering the Colts. 

2 hours ago, #12. said:

I'm betting both are gone, but we'll see tomorrow.

If he was confident in keeping both of them he would have made that clear after the game. Obviously he is drinking a few beers... weighing  his options, and trying to find a better replacement. 

25 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I still don't expect them to make any changes. The biggest reason being that Irsay signed them to MULTI YEAR extensions. If it was like a 1 or 2 year deal, than I could see them being on the hot seat. But by giving em 4 years, and preaching continuity, I don't think Irsay would be willing to part with them just yet.

Plus, and I'm not advocating for them to stay, but there's no doubt the Colts got super unlucky what with all the injuries at the start and the end of the year. If a few more things bounced the Colts' way, they'd probably be in the playoffs right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation (at least to this extent).

Irsay is a multi-billionaire. He is one of the most involved owners in the league from everything I have ever heard. He loves this football team. And he will eat 10-20 million if it means winning a Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Irsay is a multi-billionaire. He is one of the most involved owners in the league from everything I have ever heard. He loves this football team. And he will eat 10-20 million if it means winning a Super Bowl. 

I don't think it's about the money, although I don't think Irsay is interesting in burning tens of millions just for the sake of appearances. The point is that, one year ago, Irsay decided to commit that money to these two guys because he believed they might be "the guys." Did he change his mind in one year?

Just now, Superman said:

I don't think it's about the money, although I don't think Irsay is interesting in burning tens of millions just for the sake of appearances. The point is that, one year ago, Irsay decided to commit that money to these two guys because he believed they might be "the guys." Did he change his mind in one year?

I think so. I think he envisioned the Colts going 10-6, 11-5 and winning the division. I don't think he saw us losing to Jacksonville or Houston twice. Or starting 2-4. I think when he made his mind up last year it was "Hey, we might not win a SB next year, but we will be in the playoffs competing." Now that we barely made 8-8, I think he realizes he made a mistake. He watched the team come out unprepared and show no heart through most of the season. I think he makes some type of change. Or he would have came out and ended the rumors. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

I think so. I think he envisioned the Colts going 10-6, 11-5 and winning the division. I don't think he saw us losing to Jacksonville or Houston twice. Or starting 2-4. I think when he made his mind up last year it was "Hey, we might not win a SB next year, but we will be in the playoffs competing." Now that we barely made 8-8, I think he realizes he made a mistake. He watched the team come out unprepared and show no heart through most of the season. I think he makes some type of change. Or he would have came out and ended the rumors. 

I'm following you, and I agree, but... he basically did his part to end the rumors a couple weeks ago when he said he didn't anticipate making any changes. Of course he could have been posturing, and the end of the season could have changed his mind entirely, but if we're going based off of what Irsay has said, then it's easy to conclude that he won't make any changes. 

I think he should, and I think it's 70/30 that Pagano is gone, but I'm influenced by my own thinking on that. We'll see over the next 12-18 hours...

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

why does everyone keep telling me this when i already said it was off? Read a few posts later and I correct myself, geez.

I just hid the post, maybe that will end it.

If not, just remember you brought this on yourself. ;)

53 minutes ago, Superman said:

One of those things could have been good coaching... 

Thats true. And granted they won their fair share of close games. But even so, there's no doubt they can make the playoffs under Pagano and Grigson, especially if the roster improves. 

Again, not saying pagano and Grigson should come back. Just that I dont think Irsay will make any changes any time soon.

Just now, SupermanLuck12 said:

Doesn't make sense to keep Pagano over Grigson. Seriously, Pagano is soft and can't coach for crap. I want them both gone.

If we do fire Grigson and not Pagano, it'll be temporary for sure. The new GM would almost certainly be allowed to choose a new HC.

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Thats true. And granted they won their fair share of close games. But even so, there's no doubt they can make the playoffs under Pagano and Grigson, especially if the roster improves. 

Again, not saying pagano and Grigson should come back. Just that I dont think Irsay will make any changes any time soon.

Yes, they can. Problem is, objectively, they should, and they didn't. 

But yeah, I understand what you're saying.

The article that Florio wrote had nothing at all about getting rid of Grigson and keeping Pagano except for a few suppositions from him. It was basically I need to make up an article because I keep hearing things about Colts mgmt. so I need to write something. Just check out the article title, and it tells you all you need to know, that Florio knows nothing!

Irsay could be inclined to keep Pagano, fire Grigson

Does that headline even remotely sound like something Florio has any insight on. I only read it because I want both to go, clean slate, and seeing the article made me want to read if he had any insight on it. He does not!

2 hours ago, grmasterb said:

Note Florio cited no one. It was purely a speculative fluff piece.  Think about it ... After 2011 Irsay fired the Polians and left it up to Grigson to decide what to do with Caldwell.  No news here.

Very Good Point. I think if Florio gets it wrong, he'll lose insider reporter cred.  But I wouldn't put it past Irsay to do this nonsense.

4 hours ago, Corndog said:

No way this changed Irsay's mind either way and if it did, it's time for him to step down.  If anything, it was Pagano's swan song with the Colts and the players wanted to win for him.  

I think it was more of sending 98 off with a W than Chucky P, seeing as he announced his retirement and the other still has 3 yrs left on a contract.  Guess it is possible they were doing it for both.

if it was me i would fire hc and keep grigs around , give him two years the next two draft are going to be deep imo in defense . grigson is learning from his mistakes and his drafts have been good . dorsett hasn,t been used correctly and develop something which is coaching job , it taken a few hits and misses but slowly have build blocks ridgeway ,anderson ,geathers  on  offense you luck ,hilton ,moncrief ,mewhort ,kelly  Haeg and clark look promising needs to work on strength and pass blocking in clark case . tj green a wait and see approach , imo being a db is one of top position to transition in the nfl / 

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I agree with you 100% on neither being fired.  I was SHOCKED that he gave them that long of an extension when he did.  I was thinking 2 years that way if they failed again, the hit wouldn't be as hard.  Then again, highly unlikely Pagano would have accepted a 2 year deal.

I hope both are gone but I think the odds are:

Both gone - 10 to 1

Pagano gone, Grigson stays - 5 to 1

Grigson gone, Pagano stays - 2 to 1

Both stay - Even odds

Chuck will get another job by next year at the latest, giving you an offset on his contract.  Irsay won't lose much money on Chuck. Already saw a Chuck to Denver rumor, if Kubiak steps down.  He'll lose money on Grigson, but owners of professional sports teams, for one reason or another, eat contracts that large every day of the week.  

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm following you, and I agree, but... he basically did his part to end the rumors a couple weeks ago when he said he didn't anticipate making any changes. Of course he could have been posturing, and the end of the season could have changed his mind entirely, but if we're going based off of what Irsay has said, then it's easy to conclude that he won't make any changes. 

I think he should, and I think it's 70/30 that Pagano is gone, but I'm influenced by my own thinking on that. We'll see over the next 12-18 hours...

I'm thinking you have the odds way too high that Pagan is released. I would say like 60-40 favoring him staying.