Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So If Manning Goes To Another Team Who Are You Rooting For When We Play Them?

mightisright

wth are you saying? Manning is not 100% and even he acknowledges that. He wants and hopes to be cleared this year to play football again and has vowed to make it back. Many players have said that and then never made it back or were shells of themselves. I honestly believe that Irsay will pay Manning his contract if he is able to throw the ball with his normal zip, or at the very least showing improvement that makes the org feel confident he will be at his normal self come Aug/Sept of this year. If he is cut, it will not because Irsay is cheap and opted out of his contract, it will be because he feels he will not be the same player he once was and a wounded duck is just that. I want what is going to help this team move forward and win for years to come. You have appeared to take the stance that no matter what PM's outcome is, if he is cut, Irsay is a cheap punk trying to save money when in fact, it is a business decision to let go of your most productive player over the years.

It is kinda like that printer person, who all his life used manual presses and diesets to do his job, now 25 years into his career, the machine is failing and the alternative is a new more modern machine. The person is ticked that his world is changing and how good the old machine is if only you would spend $100,000 to repair it (for this year) only to have it breakdown over and over and possibly threaten your business survival to the competition down the road with the new digital printer press. Sometimes, you just have to move on from something that is not working as well as it was even though you were very comfortable with the old one and it worked very well to make you the leader in the industry.

If you can separate those two things (money vs injury) you will be able to get over this issue much easier. If you continue to just believe that Irsay is "dumping" Manning to avoid paying him, well, I suppose nobody here can rationalize that with you.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts of course. I would be rooting for Freeney and Mathis to hit him as much as any other opposing QB and that I hope he has the worst possible game against us.

Now when he is not playing the Colts I would root for the guy, but when he comes to play the Colts he is the enemy.

I am not going to bash people who say they would root for Manning over the Colts because it is your fandom and you can choose how to display it whatever way you want too. I just do not know understand why you would continue to call yourself a Colts fan. If you are rooting for Manning who plays for the 49ers you are rooting for the 49ers to beat the Colts. Why not just say you are a 49ers fan?

Marshall Faulk is my favorite player of all time, but whenever the Rams played the Colts I wanted to see the Colts destroy them. I still wanted to see Faulk do well for 15 weeks, but that one week against the Colts I hoped he got 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Quoting JWilli69.... Nobody is going to really miss you, your not a team fan, your a fan of the best player that has come along in possibly ever. Just because the team doesn't make the choice you would (with their money) doesn't mean the guy picked next wouldn't become the next icon, bet we would see you jump back on the wagon if that occured, right? yep!! end of quote

JWilli, I whole heartedly understand why you say what you say. Several have flamed me for this attitude. I reply, not to change anyones opinion nor to defend my statement, but simply to make sure I've been interpreted correctly. The one commonality among the flamers has been to present their thoughts as they were mine. This is where they have missed the mark.

The OP was a hypothetical. Everyone assumes that if I quit being a Colts fan it would be to root for Peyton Manning. That is also false. If he wound up playing for another team I wouldn't root for PM cause I wouldn't be a fan of that team. I would quit being a Colt fan because I would regard the decision to let Peyton play for another team to be another in a long line of poor decisions made by the Colts since 1970 when Bob Irsay began writing the book on how to destroy a franchis. I feared the same when Bob turned the reins over to Jim.

So far, Jim has been the quintessential owner. He's always followed sound decision making. The best one was stepping out of the day to day decisions that seemed to always plague his father. He been true to that for 13 years. Recent changes put him at another crossroads. Does he now feel ready to involve himself in the day-to-day such as other owners? I think that could be disastrous for the Colts franchise depending on just how much he has learned.

The fact still remains that the QB position is the most important on a team going to the super bowl. A healthy Peyton Manning with an adequate defense and running game is the quickest path to that end. To let a healthy Peyton Manning take another team to the super bowl would be the last straw of bad decisions.

After seeing the Irsay interview with Hannah Storm, the last element I've been looking for in the Jim Irsay question was answered for me. He demonstrated a deep knowledge of the difference's between himself and his father. He actually acknowledged the faults of his father and his desire to not follow in his footsteps. By relating the story of how his father fired Ted Marchibroda at halftime(a most shocking display at the time) when Jim was 16yo and Jim's speech on the team bus following showed me that Jim was on the right track. As a fan, I fully support what he is doing with the Colts.

I believe Peyton and Jim trust each other enough they will be able to do whatever it takes to make the situation work out in the best way possible. I don't think that puts PM in another teams jersey.

wholefnshow - "I am not going to bash people who say they would root for Manning over the Colts because it is your fandom and you can choose how to display it whatever way you want too. I just do not know understand why you would continue to call yourself a Colts fan. If you are rooting for Manning who plays for the 49ers you are rooting for the 49ers to beat the Colts. Why not just say you are a 49ers fan?"

Said it much better than I could.

Although I would feel a slight need to bash the person if they tried to tell me they were a Colts fan.

wholefnshow - "I am not going to bash people who say they would root for Manning over the Colts because it is your fandom and you can choose how to display it whatever way you want too. I just do not know understand why you would continue to call yourself a Colts fan. If you are rooting for Manning who plays for the 49ers you are rooting for the 49ers to beat the Colts. Why not just say you are a 49ers fan?"

Said it much better than I could.

Although I would feel a slight need to bash the person if they tried to tell me they were a Colts fan.

When I said that any one who would root for a Peyton-led team against the Colts is not a Colts fan, I got bashed thoroughly.

They even accused me of dissing the person who said they would root against the Colts.

When I said that any one who would root for a Peyton-led team against the Colts is not a Colts fan, I got bashed thoroughly.

They even accused me of dissing the person who said they would root against the Colts.

One thing i've learned over the years... people are crazy and illogical when it comes to sports. And yes, I speak for myself too. ;)

wholefnshow - "I am not going to bash people who say they would root for Manning over the Colts because it is your fandom and you can choose how to display it whatever way you want too. I just do not know understand why you would continue to call yourself a Colts fan. If you are rooting for Manning who plays for the 49ers you are rooting for the 49ers to beat the Colts. Why not just say you are a 49ers fan?" Said it much better than I could. Although I would feel a slight need to bash the person if they tried to tell me they were a Colts fan.

I like to hear the rational for rooting against the Colts while still calling yourself a Colts fan before I do any bashing. I just do not see any rational thought behind I am a Colts fan, but when Peyton comes to town I am going to root for Peyton and the other team to win. I can see saying I hope Manning does well, but still want to see the Colts win, but to outright say you would root against the Colts then you cannot really say your a fan of the team.

If you are going to root against the Colts and hope they lose to Manning you might as well trade in your Colts gear and go buy whatever teams Peyton is playing for. You just cannot rationalize one week cheering as Peyton throws a TD for the 49ers to beat the Colts and then the next week cheer on Luck and company.

It is kind of like cheating on your wife and her catching you and then the next day acting like nothing happened.

I like to hear the rational for rooting against the Colts while still calling yourself a Colts fan before I do any bashing. I just do not see any rational thought behind I am a Colts fan, but when Peyton comes to town I am going to root for Peyton and the other team to win. I can see saying I hope Manning does well, but still want to see the Colts win, but to outright say you would root against the Colts then you cannot really say your a fan of the team.

If you are going to root against the Colts and hope they lose to Manning you might as well trade in your Colts gear and go buy whatever teams Peyton is playing for. You just cannot rationalize one week cheering as Peyton throws a TD for the 49ers to beat the Colts and then the next week cheer on Luck and company.

It is kind of like cheating on your wife and her catching you and then the next day acting like nothing happened.

Perhaps these posts from this thread will enlighten you on how some fans think: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/4999-irsay-and-manning-the-only-way-this-ends-well/

In fact, if Irsay cuts Manning I would very much like to see those same football gods place Manning on the Texans. I would probably on some level be rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake. As an unrestricted Free Agent, Manning could just do that.

If you can root for the Texans led by Peyton to beat the Colts, then you are a Peyton Manning fan.

You are not a Colts fan.

And neither are you if you dis other fans and reduce to calling them names. Its sad fans like you put a lable on everything. Aint got nothing nice to say, dont.

The same can be said If you are rooting against a Colt who is currently under contract and brought two superbowls to Indy. How can you call yourself a fan of the team? Semantics.

I doubt anyone is rooting "against" PM.

A fan of the team will want what is in the best interest of the team.

If that team-interest includes releasing a player (even a player that has led the team to 2 SB appearances and 1 win), that will soon be 36 years old, has not played in a year, and is coming off 3 neck surgeries with questionable ability to throw the ball at NFL performance levels, then so be it.

If that team-interest includes releasing a player whose contract is too rich for the team to afford, then so be it.

The same can be said If you are rooting against a Colt who is currently under contract and brought two superbowls to Indy. How can you call yourself a fan of the team? Semantics.

If an ex Colt player is playing against the Colts, I hope they lose. I am not rooting against them personally, I dont want them to get hurt or anything. But I want them to have a bad game so my TEAM can win.

That does not mean I dont like them, doesnt mean I dont appreciate what they did when they were on the Colts, etc. It just means I want the Colts to win the game, no more no less.

A fan of the team will want what is in the best interest of the team. 

I do want what is in the best interest of the team. We just disagree on what is best for the team. I can accept that you don't agree. You obviously can't.

Proof?

Heres similar thread made before you were a member....
http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/2763-manning-to-the-redskins/

Heres some quotes....

If Manning does go to another team, then I will be rooting for two teams for the first time ever. And if Manning plays against the Colts, I'll be very torn about who to root for. Especially if that meeting were in a SuperBowl...

Manning to the Ravens and retire with 2 more rings... Best payback from Colts to their old city.

What is missing? You questioning these peoples fanhood.

Maybe you should go back to this post and quote these guys too!?!

hmmm.....Member Since 17 Jan 2012

are you even a Colt fan?

Manning is currently a Colt. I am rooting for him to heal and remain a Colt.

Andrew Luck currently is not a Colt, neither is RG3 or any other QB prospect. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist until they wear the horseshoe. I don't have to worry about rooting for anyone else but PM and the Colts at the moment.

I do want what is in the best interest of the team. We just disagree on what is best for the team. I can accept that you don't agree. You obviously can't.

You have a right to your own opinions on the matter. However, if you could root for a Peyton-led Texan team against the Colts, you are not a Colts fan.

Proof?

Here is the proof:

In fact, if Irsay cuts Manning I would very much like to see those same football gods place Manning on the Texans. I would probably on some level be rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake. As an unrestricted Free Agent, Manning could just do that.

What is missing? You questioning these peoples fanhood.

I don't need to question anyone's fanhood.

If you root against the Colts, you are not a Colts fan.

You may want to brush up on the definition of what a fan means.

You may want to be a little more polite.

Further more, you quoted me out of context, something you have asked others not to do to you...treat others as you would have them treat you.

"I would probably on some level..." even out of context this doesn't even prove I would be rooting against the colts...it just says there is a probability on some level (as in subconcious).

Why don't you address that every post you make quotes someone and disagrees with them. Often questioning their intelligence or understanding of definitions. Thats all I really care about, is you and your tone and your intent to demean and insult anyone who disagrees with you. Thats what needs to stop.

You make up about 2/3s of all posts on these boards, but you have one sole agenda....convincing us that PM needs to go. We get it. You don't want him here next year.

You, like Kravitz and ESPN are thriving on the attention you get by going against the GOAT. Enjoy that.

Now you really are convincing me that you are either Andrew Luck or Bob Kravitz.

You may want to be a little more polite. You come off smug which doesn't help your case.

You are mistaken, I am polite, even in the face of rudeness. And it is not smug to disagree with you.

"I would probably on some level..." how does that even prove I would be rooting against the colts...it just says there is a probability on some level (as in subconcious).

" rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake."

It becomes clear when you add the rest of your sentence. Anyone, on any level (conscious or subconscious) who will be " rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake." will be rooting against the Colts. By definition, that person cannot be a Colts fan.

Further more, you quoted me out of context, something you have asked others not to do to you...treat others as you would have them treat you.

Feel free to paste your context, and let everyone know what particular context there is that would make you root against the Colts, and still consider yourself a Colts fan.

I have proven that the discord on these forums is due to your recent membership. Why don't you address that? Can you prove that almost every post you make quotes someone and disagrees with them. Often questioning their intelligence or understanding of definitions. Thats all I really care about, is you and your tone and your intent to demean and insult anyone who disagrees with you. I've been a Moderator before and I've seen about 200 of you in my days as a mod. inevitably your true demeanor will come out and you will say somehting you wil get banned for.

You have proven nothing of the kind.

I have joined this forum about a month ago. Does that make me less of a Colts fan than you? The fact that I would NEVER root for a team playing against the Colts, prove that I am a Colts fan.

Your accusations are out of line. If you think any of my posts are against the TOS, please feel free to report them.

You make up about 2/3s of all posts on these boards, but you have one sole agenda....convincing us that PM needs to go.

You, like Kravitz and ESPN are thriving on the attention you get by going against the GOAT. Enjoy that.

Now you really are convincing me that you are either Andrew Luck or Bob Kravitz.

Feel free to speculate that I am Luck or Kravitz or even Irsay.

The fact that I am not responsible for anywhere close to even 1/3 of all posts in this forum, will show others how much out of tune you are with reality.

I'm out of tune with reality? because I don't like your tone and the way you treat others here? I'm sure I am not the only one that feels you are agressive and confrontational.

Heres a tip. Post your opinion without quoting someone...just once. even if it is directed at someone. Its just more polite.

Another tip would be to post about something other than PM being cut. Just to show you don't have one specific agenda. ALL your posts are backing your agenda.

Unless you are a professional Troll...

I cheered for the Colts when I was a kid and Gary Hogeboom/Chris Chandler were QBs. I cheered when they were 1-15. I cheered when Jim Harbaugh came in to "Let 'Er Rip"....lol.

I have and always will be a Colt fan. That said, IF Manning does play for another team, I pray it's an NFC one, and certainly not in the AFC in the South (doubtful anyway)

I will cheer for my Colts, but I will wish for Manning to have a good game. He's meant a lot to this city, and if he has to go somewhere else you can be sure that team will become my 2nd favorite team. But I am Colts all the way....so IF he ends up playing somewhere else and the Colts and his team meet, I will hope he has a nice game and doesn't get hurt, but the Colts win.

I am obviously NEVER going to root against the Colts. When many were begging for the team to "S*** for Luck" I predicted we would win the last three.....OK so we were 2-1.

While this is 'highly unlikely" If Luck/RG3/Whomever leads us to a SUPER BOWL against Peyton: Those of you who said Peyton instead of the Colts earlier...you are welcome back to the Colt's Corral if you chose.

My answer: Go Colts!

I found myself a similar dilemma in the 80's. I was in HS in NJ, was a huge fan of the Giants, and faced the Parcells or Giants question. At the time, I chose the Tuna, but later found I just couldn't become a Patriots fan, even if they had a coach I idolized. Several of my favorite players (Simms, LT, Meggett, Bavaro, etc.) were getting phased off the Giants, and I moved to Indy around that time too. Ultimately, I slowly transitioned into being a true-blood Colts fan when I began to realize that for me, it was about getting invested in my community and rooting for team and not one individual.

If the team parts ways with Manning, I wish him the best, but I will always be a Colts fan first.