Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So If Manning Goes To Another Team Who Are You Rooting For When We Play Them?

mightisright

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sick of the "true colts fan" nonsense. We're all colts fans or we wouldn't be here I LOVE the colts. The organization earned my respect with the way they handle things, the integrity, Tony Dungy was the MAN. It just hurts my heart to think of Peyton Manning anywhere else than here. And for Irsay to "if he's healthy, he's a Colt" and then go back on his word is hard for me as a COLTS fan.

So sick of the "true colts fan" nonsense. We're all colts fans or we wouldn't be here I LOVE the colts. The organization earned my respect with the way they handle things, the integrity, Tony Dungy was the MAN. It just hurts my heart to think of Peyton Manning anywhere else than here. And for Irsay to "if he's healthy, he's a Colt" and then go back on his word is hard for me as a COLTS fan.

But he's not healthy, duh! I watched the Colts before Manning, so maybe I have an ability to accept him being gone, but to say he is being wronged when he clearly is trying not to accept his situation and making things harder than they are is really more his fault than anyone else's.

Listen, Manning had a great run, and sadly it was cut short, but his compeptitive instincts are becomeing his own downfall. My father had the same surgery, and yes it is a fairly comon surgery, but even my dad who's surgery was done by one of the best Dr's for said injury told my father he would have to change some of his ways, like how he grips objects and picks objects up. Manning just has to accept the hand he was dealt. Howie Long said it best when he said some surgeries are to much for a player to overcome.

But it seems to me that he's always been more than willing to take less money for the good of the team. If they told him, "we want you back, can you take 1 year 4 mil?" He'd say sure. He's already said he want to stay! The money isn't the issue. IF we cut him and he's healthy he'll take whatever money the team with the best shot at a Super Bowl will give him. If it's 15 mil, great, if it's 1.5 mil I think he'd still take it. He wants to play. He wants to play. He wants to play! And "fair" really doesn't come into play with all he's done for this sport. Everything he's done for this city surely hasn't been in his contract, has it? He's gone above and beyond and so should we to keep him.

I think if he took less because he's not back to his old self, that would seem fair to the team.

Who knows, maybe he will be ready?

That is some contract he's got there though. I'm not really under the impression that he'd play for so little

But he's not healthy, duh! I watched the Colts before Manning, so maybe I have an ability to accept him being gone, but to say he is being wronged when he clearly is trying not to accept his situation and making things harder than they are is really more his fault than anyone else's.

Listen, Manning had a great run, and sadly it was cut short, but his compeptitive instincts are becomeing his own downfall. My father had the same surgery, and yes it is a fairly comon surgery, but even my dad who's surgery was done by one of the best Dr's for said injury told my father he would have to change some of his ways, like how he grips objects and picks objects up. Manning just has to accept the hand he was dealt. Howie Long said it best when he said some surgeries are to much for a player to overcome.

Where's your chrystal ball, dude? You got some inside source we don't know about? Montana came back from the same surgery, why can't Manning? He may be healthy, he may be retiring. WE DON'T KNOW! This is all just speculation.

Assuming that Manning is cut and goes to another team, will you root for the Colts or Manning? On the one hand, I'm a die-hard colts fan. BUt there's a little part of me that thinks that if Irsay is dumb enough to cut him and not restructure his contract then we deserve to get killed every time we play him! I understand that we need to rebuild the team and that we can't pay his rediculous contract. But if he'd go to the Jets for say, 6 mil one year contract, why wouldn't he stay here for that? And if the Colts can't figure out how to keep their GOAT that has done SOOOOO much for this city then I hope he rubs their nose in it and goes to win the 2 more rings he deserves. I'll still show up every week and root for my boys in blue. But if we play against Manning, I don't know. That's a hard one.

He built this team and this city into what it is. SO many people wouldn't even be colts fans if he hadn't come. I'll still be a Colts fan when he's gone. But given what he's done for our town and for the game, I don't think I could ever root against him!

Colts. Of course.

I'd just root for the offense... :) Look, Peyton is special to me, but so are the Indianapolis Colts. I honestly don't think he'll play anywhere other than here, but if he did, I'd just root for the offense and hope for a high-flying game.

Assuming that Manning is cut and goes to another team, will you root for the Colts or Manning? On the one hand, I'm a die-hard colts fan. BUt there's a little part of me that thinks that if Irsay is dumb enough to cut him and not restructure his contract then we deserve to get killed every time we play him! I understand that we need to rebuild the team and that we can't pay his rediculous contract. But if he'd go to the Jets for say, 6 mil one year contract, why wouldn't he stay here for that? And if the Colts can't figure out how to keep their GOAT that has done SOOOOO much for this city then I hope he rubs their nose in it and goes to win the 2 more rings he deserves. I'll still show up every week and root for my boys in blue. But if we play against Manning, I don't know. That's a hard one.

He built this team and this city into what it is. SO many people wouldn't even be colts fans if he hadn't come. I'll still be a Colts fan when he's gone. But given what he's done for our town and for the game, I don't think I could ever root against him!

As a Colts fan from Baltimore, I take (mild) offense to your question.

I root for the Colts. Before Manning and after Manning.

Were you a football fan before Manning? He didn't invent the Game or the Colts. BOTH will survive his eventual retirement.

Some became Colts fans because of Peyton Manning. But I became a Peyton Manning fan because he wore that white helmet with the blue horse shoe on it. So it's not even a tough question for me...thanks Peyton for all you've done but I'd back the Colts all the way.

That said, if Peyton isn't ready March 8th and isn't at 100% to start the season, I rather he just retire than see him play in another uniform. Wouldn't want to see him tarnish his legacy if he is only a shadow of the player we remember.

If he is not healthy, and we release him, then what team is going to offer him big bucks to play for them not knowing if they will have to fork over a 26 million dollar convalescence fee as well? I'm not sure what kind of contract the NFLPA would tolerate from teams for an iffy Mannig, who would garner >18+ million per year full healthy...

I was a Colt fan at the end of Unitas career ther, and will be whether Peyton gets healthy and stays, or fails physicals and gets released. If he makes it onto another roster, I will back the Colts, but wish no ill will on him, and admire the great things he might still be able to accomplish. But, Go Colts!!

Colts first...BUT

If he was playing us and we are out of the playoffs and he is in the hunt. Yeah I would root for Peyton.

For all the fans screaming bandwagons to others......PLEASE stop. Peyton as it is obvious brought a lot of new fans to the Colts organization. Which is good. This means revenue for the team. Then we wouldn't have had to worry about being LA Colts or something rather. It kiils me to hear people talk about true colts fans, if you are spending money to go to the games, buy NLF Direct TV ticket, Jerseys etc.... you are contributing to the Colts organization.

if a single person says peyton. you are a peyton fan and not a colt fan

You're right, I'm a Peyton fan, not a Colts fan, but I cheered with as much vigor for the Colts and suffered just as much as any of you after the losses when Peyton was playing. I just hope he goes to a team that can run the ball and play defense. It would also be nice to have some receivers who aren't smurfs and can run faster and jump higher than my Aunt Minnie.

WOW, self-righteous much? I don't want Peyton to go, Peyton doesn't want to go. The owner shows him the door. Why wouldn't I be a little upset about that and feel like if he kicks our arses he deserved a little payback for not having more faith in him given everything he's already done? I'll still be a Colts fan, I'd propbably just be miserable that whole game no matter who wins!

I knew I'd get a lot of the "not a true fan" mob, Here it comes.....

Well since you don't want him to go, I guess we should sacrifice the next 15 years of our franchise. Owning an NFL team is the same as owning a business, if you are a good owner you make the decisions that will ensure the prolonged success of your business, not what makes everyone happy. Even though initially the Green Bay fans didn't like it, would you say releasing Favre wasn't the right thing to do in Green Bay for the future of their franchise? Of course Peyton doesn't want to go, he owns a home in Indy, has played here his entire career and on top of that is the top paid player in the NFL. He also has alot of power with this team, he probably wouldn't have enjoyed somewhere else, not too many QBs get all of the reps in practice. The type of QB Manning is will hurt the growth of our future QB, and if it is Luck he needs to start growing as soon as becomes part of the NFL. The fact is Manning will be done as soon as he gets his neck re-injured and the Colts can't risk that happening with no one else ready. If Irsay makes the difficult decision to not resign Manning, he will not be destroying the future of Peyton Manning. Manning is a very rich man and is intelligent enough to easily make the transition to coaching or broadcasting. Manning will be fine. Heck, if anything I believe the smart thing for Manning to do is retire. Why risk playing with a bad neck? Why risk his future health, with a family to look forward to raising? He doesn't need the money and he is already a sure fire HOFer. He has a championship, two or three would be nice, but it doesn't sound like it is worth it to me.

Well since you don't want him to go, I guess we should sacrifice the next 15 years of our franchise. Owning an NFL team is the same as owning a business, if you are a good owner you make the decisions that will ensure the prolonged success of your business, not what makes everyone happy. Even though initially the Green Bay fans didn't like it, would you say releasing Favre wasn't the right thing to do in Green Bay for the future of their franchise? Of course Peyton doesn't want to go, he owns a home in Indy, has played here his entire career and on top of that is the top paid player in the NFL. He also has alot of power with this team, he probably wouldn't have enjoyed somewhere else, not too many QBs get all of the reps in practice. The type of QB Manning is will hurt the growth of our future QB, and if it is Luck he needs to start growing as soon as becomes part of the NFL. The fact is Manning will be done as soon as he gets his neck re-injured and the Colts can't risk that happening with no one else ready. If Irsay makes the difficult decision to not resign Manning, he will not be destroying the future of Peyton Manning. Manning is a very rich man and is intelligent enough to easily make the transition to coaching or broadcasting. Manning will be fine. Heck, if anything I believe the smart thing for Manning to do is retire. Why risk playing with a bad neck? Why risk his future health, with a family to look forward to raising? He doesn't need the money and he is already a sure fire HOFer. He has a championship, two or three would be nice, but it doesn't sound like it is worth it to me.

Green Bay didn't release Favre. He retired and was subsequently traded.

I highly doubt he will get 'jerked' around.

It'll boil down to a difficult business decision.

The media may spin it differently, but don't be fooled.

I agree.

I'm not really sure how you get "jerked around" when you're paid the kind of money he has been.

It's the nature of the business.

Being "jerked around' is a two-way street really.

I agree with Irsay, its about the HORSESHOE, not any one person.............. even Manning.

He's been in the league 14 years! I'm not sure what people expect, even if healthy. That is a long career even for a top QB.

Its like any business, if the "business" isn't "healthy", no one within the business is.

Although with the kind of money these athletes make, its hard to really feel sorry for them.

Especially when some end their careers making enough to almost buy the "business" (team)

Can you imagine if we in the private sector were paid enough by our bosses to essentially buy them out after 10 or 15 years? Its ridiculous really.

For me I guess it depends. If we as the Colts are having a good season (playoff season) then the Colts. If the Colts are having another bad season, and Manning's team was having a great year, then I would hope they would beat us and possibly later in the season get Manning another Sb ring.

Well, if we do lose Peyton atleast the bandwagon will have a little extra space.. I was a fan when Mike Pagel was QB and Frank Kush was the coach.. So being a fan of Andrew Luck and Chuck Pagano should be a piece of cake..

I know.

I remember suffering thru watching Marty Domres at QB at memorial stadium as well as watching the end of one of my favorites, Bert Jones, retire after suffering injuries including broken ribs. Theres another Colt QB done before his time.

I know.

I remember suffering thru watching Marty Domres at QB at memorial stadium as well as watching the end of one of my favorites, Bert Jones, retire after suffering injuries including broken ribs. Theres another great Colt QB done before his time.

OOps, I stuttered. sorry.

I know.

I remember suffering thru watching Marty Domres at QB at memorial stadium as well as watching the end of one of my favorites, Bert Jones, retire after suffering injuries including broken ribs. Theres another Colt QB done before his time.

That was before my time as a Colt fan.. When i woke up one morning and my dad told me the Colts rolled into town in the Mayflower trucks was when i became a fan.. I was a Bears fan before that, and to some degre i still am.. But going to the games in Indy was mush more fun than watching the Bears on tv even though the Colts didnt win too often in those days..

That was before my time as a Colt fan.. When i woke up one morning and my dad told me the Colts rolled into town in the Mayflower trucks was when i became a fan.. I was a Bears fan before that, and to some degre i still am.. But going to the games in Indy was mush more fun than watching the Bears on tv even though the Colts didnt win too often in those days..

How long we've been Colt fans doesn't matter.

What matters is how we support the TEAM.

God i LOVE this team. Always will.

The Colts have brought more joy to my life than I could ever fully explain.

And those road whites......... PERFECTION!

This question is going to attract a lot of "true fan" preaching but I don't think it is as clear cut as some will try to make it.

Personally, I think the answer will depend on how the man is treated for the next month.

If he is given a fair shot and it just doesn't work out then that is one thing.

If he gets completely jerked around then that is another.

You paying Peyton 26 mil even knowing he may not return to form or play again is jerking him around? What exactly will make you feel they gave hiim a fair chance? If he is cut and then goes to another team and plays up to his old standards, I am certain a lot of people would be extremely upset (including me) but if he gets cut and plays on another team and shows to have a noticable drop off in his production, I will be pleased witht he org having to make the decision and what will have seemed to be the right one. They just may not have enough information at the time to make a finacial risk with PM come March 8th, in fact, if they don't know right now, I doubt anotehr month is going to make a whole lot of difference in what PM can or can't do.

For me, it's pretty simple. I've been a Colt's fan since 1963. The worst trade the Colts ever made was for Bob Irsay. I suffered for way too long and took Jim at his word when he took over. He lets Peyton play for another team and I'm done. Adios.

I will quit being a Colts fan.

Nobody is going to really miss you, your not a team fan, your a fan of the best player that has come along in possibly ever. Just because the team doesn't make the choice you would (with their money) doesn't mean the guy picked next wouldn't become the next icon, bet we would see you jump back on the wagon if that occured, right? yep!!

I'm a lifelong Giants fan. I follow the Colts because of Peyton. So, I'd root for Peyton. I would think that actual Colts fans would stick with the Colts though.

I think to a degree, this is true of many football fans. I am a true diehard Colts fan, love em!! I also enjoy watching Aaron Rogers play when he is on, I like the talent he has shown and so I kinda follow his work a little. I won't quit watching the Colts play, I watched many QB's before PM come along on this team and I will no doubt watch several others after Manning.

BTW,GO ELI!!!!!!

I don't think the thread is pointless. I've asked myself the same thing. To question my loyalty to the the colts would be fightin' words but do you vote for the team or the man, who in my opinion, built it. In short, I'll always root for the Shoe but should the worst case scenario come to pass, I would definately also stand behind PM in every other game he played. Still hoping that through some form of slight of hand negotiating, Irsay and PM keep him on the team as well as save the cap. From interview yesterday, I feel 100% that he will play again and well and if it isn't for the colts it would be a huuuge tragedy. From commentators yesterday, to release him and resign would be a definately possibility and ideal for the owner, team, PM, and city.

I'm not really sure how you get "jerked around" when you're paid the kind of money he has been.

You paying Peyton 26 mil even knowing he may not return to form or play again is jerking him around?

Irsay has repeatedly said that money is not an issue. If so then he needs to be a man of his word and base the decision entirely upon fitness to play. If money is an issue then say so and act accordingly. Saying money is not an issue and then not meaning a word of it would be jerking Manning around.