Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So If Manning Goes To Another Team Who Are You Rooting For When We Play Them?

mightisright

Assuming that Manning is cut and goes to another team, will you root for the Colts or Manning? On the one hand, I'm a die-hard colts fan. BUt there's a little part of me that thinks that if Irsay is dumb enough to cut him and not restructure his contract then we deserve to get killed every time we play him! I understand that we need to rebuild the team and that we can't pay his rediculous contract. But if he'd go to the Jets for say, 6 mil one year contract, why wouldn't he stay here for that? And if the Colts can't figure out how to keep their GOAT that has done SOOOOO much for this city then I hope he rubs their nose in it and goes to win the 2 more rings he deserves. I'll still show up every week and root for my boys in blue. But if we play against Manning, I don't know. That's a hard one.

He built this team and this city into what it is. SO many people wouldn't even be colts fans if he hadn't come. I'll still be a Colts fan when he's gone. But given what he's done for our town and for the game, I don't think I could ever root against him!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't even really be a question, the Colts will always be first and the players will always be second. Manning built this fan base up and the winning tradition over the years for certain but if you root for one person who may no longer be on your team anymore, you should become a fan of tennis because this is about team and not one person. If you go out rooting for Manning if he plays on any other team for him to beat your team, switch teams and move on!

This question is going to attract a lot of "true fan" preaching but I don't think it is as clear cut as some will try to make it.

Personally, I think the answer will depend on how the man is treated for the next month.

If he is given a fair shot and it just doesn't work out then that is one thing.

If he gets completely jerked around then that is another.

This question is going to attract a lot of "true fan" preaching but I don't think it is as clear cut as some will try to make it.

Personally, I think the answer will depend on how the man is treated for the next month.

I highly doubt he will get 'jerked' around.

It'll boil down to a difficult business decision.

The media may spin it differently, but don't be fooled.

For me, it's pretty simple. I've been a Colt's fan since 1963. The worst trade the Colts ever made was for Bob Irsay. I suffered for way too long and took Jim at his word when he took over. He lets Peyton play for another team and I'm done. Adios.

I will quit being a Colts fan.

Before coming to the Colts I really didnt have an NFL team. I was just a fan in general. Manning is the reason why im a Colts fan to begin with, following his whole college career. But I have grown to like our owner, organization and culture of this organization. Colts first, Manning second. I will always cheer for my favorite player wherever he goes.

For me, it's pretty simple. I've been a Colt's fan since 1963. The worst trade the Colts ever made was for Bob Irsay. I suffered for way too long and took Jim at his word when he took over. He lets Peyton play for another team and I'm done. Adios.

Later gator. Go colts

Sorry but I don't believe for a second you've been a fan since '63 if you are so willing to drop the team just because they will have to release Manning for the better of the franchise. If you're telling the truth, I almost feel sorry for you.

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

Why would I root against my team just because Peyton is going against them? Man I can't stand Peyton fans first, Colts fans second.

Why? In logical terms, organizations change all the time. This change may not reflect peoples preferred football style. The Steelers are know as a defensive smash mouth run team. If that changed they may upset their fan base. If the Colts built their team like the Jets, a team that I can't stand, I may need to reevaluate my team. I don't live in the US and I picked Indy because of their play style 9 years ago. I liked how they built through the draft and stayed classy. I liked the kind of leader Peyton was. I liked how we had two of the best DE's in the game. I liked Tony Dungy's style and poise. I will always be a Colts fan, but things can change. The last 5 seasons the Cards and the Giants have been my second favorite team alternately. I am just a super huge fan of football.

Side note. Where ever Peyton plays next year I am traveling to. I need to see the man play. I hope it is in Indy so I can see Lucas Oil Stadium and the wonderful city! Here's hopin'

Not an easy response . I'd hope that he plays well but the horseshoe prevails . Being from Philly , I've always had a soft spot for Dick Vermeil . He took a team that were the NFC East doormats & improved us every year until we reached the Super Bowl . After he returned to coaching w/ St. Louis & won the Super Bowl that he never did in Philly ; I was thrilled for him . Then we ( the Colts ) faced his next team , the Chiefs , in the playoffs . I looked @ it this way . I wanted the Colts to win but I wanted the Chiefs to play well . It was the only time that I didn't want the Colts to embarrass their opponent . I did want to see Montana stick it to the 9'ers though but that's another story . Anyway ; that's how I'd want it to play out . Peyton can be 15-1 as long as that 1 is against the Colts . BTW - If he's healthy & ends up with a team that's close ( 49'ers for example ) & we're rooting for him to get his 2nd ring .

THANK YOU - somebody actually gets my dilemna. It's not that I'm not a colts fan, its just that after all he's done for our city and the game, to see him not given a fair shot is really saddening.

Why would I root against my team just because Peyton is going against them? Man I can't stand Peyton fans first, Colts fans second.

WOW, self-righteous much? I don't want Peyton to go, Peyton doesn't want to go. The owner shows him the door. Why wouldn't I be a little upset about that and feel like if he kicks our arses he deserved a little payback for not having more faith in him given everything he's already done? I'll still be a Colts fan, I'd propbably just be miserable that whole game no matter who wins!

I knew I'd get a lot of the "not a true fan" mob, Here it comes.....

I will root for Colts knowing in the back of my mind that he will light us up and expose us like a bad team we are now.

Exactly! And then while being sad we lost I'd think "good for him." He deserves more rings than he could get with our abysmal special teams, inconsistent front line, and weak defense.

I will always root for the Colts and against any win that has a negative impact on the Colts ability to make the playoffs, get a bye or secure home field advantage. I will only root for Peyton as member of another team if it benefits the Colts in those same regards. You're a Colts player or you're the opponent, that simple.

THANK YOU - somebody actually gets my dilemna. It's not that I'm not a colts fan, its just that after all he's done for our city and the game, to see him not given a fair shot is really saddening.

His shot is his contract

That's what both sides agreed to

It is more than fair

Assuming that Manning is cut and goes to another team, will you root for the Colts or Manning? On the one hand, I'm a die-hard colts fan. BUt there's a little part of me that thinks that if Irsay is dumb enough to cut him and not restructure his contract then we deserve to get killed every time we play him!

What make you think Peyton would be willing to restructure his deal? Right now he has all the leverage, he either gets a check for 28 million and a contract with Indy or gets to be a free agent and go wherever he wants to go.

If he redid his deal, he could potentially beome trade bait and give the Colts the power to send him where they wanted, not where he wanted.

But to answer your question, a real COLTS fan will root for the COLTS. Always.

His shot is his contract

That's what both sides agreed to

It is more than fair

But it seems to me that he's always been more than willing to take less money for the good of the team. If they told him, "we want you back, can you take 1 year 4 mil?" He'd say sure. He's already said he want to stay! The money isn't the issue. IF we cut him and he's healthy he'll take whatever money the team with the best shot at a Super Bowl will give him. If it's 15 mil, great, if it's 1.5 mil I think he'd still take it. He wants to play. He wants to play. He wants to play! And "fair" really doesn't come into play with all he's done for this sport. Everything he's done for this city surely hasn't been in his contract, has it? He's gone above and beyond and so should we to keep him.

Colts! All the way. I like Manning a lot. I hope he comes back, even though things don't look good right now. He will always be my favorite player, even if he does go to another team. I'll always remember the great memories of him in a Colts uniform. However, I would never root for him to beat the Colts. I just wouldn't root for the D to hit him as hard as I usually like to see.