Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vita Vea from Washington = Next Dontari Poe?

Just ran across this from Daniel Jeremiah. I know Poe has been a name thrown around as a FA want, so I found this interesting.

The next Dontari Poe?: Washington has enjoyed a tremendous season, but most of the attention has gone to their young quarterback (Jake Browning), explosive receiver (John Ross) and their lockdown secondary. However, the player with the most NFL upside of the group lines up on the defensive line. Vita Vea is a physical freak. He's 6-foot-4 and weighs 345 pounds. For a man that big, he has incredible quickness and athleticism. His production doesn't jump off the stat sheet, but he sure does jump off the tape when you study him. He has the range to make tackles on the perimeter and he throws opposing lineman around like rag dolls.

When I asked a couple West Coast scouts about him, they both compared him to the same player -- Kansas City Chiefs DT Dontari Poe. That is high praise. Poe quickly emerged as one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen in the NFL after arriving from Memphis. He was very raw in college, but his physical traits were spectacular. The same can be said for Vea.

So, when the Huskies and Tide kickoff on Saturday afternoon, keep an eye on Vea. He will line up at several different spots on the line and maybe we'll see coach Chris Petersen incorporate him on the offensive side of the ball. We know Poe can throw the ball -- can Vea? -- Daniel Jeremiah

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I thought Danny Shelton was for sure going to be the next Poe. I haven't heard much about him since being drafted. Granted he plays for the Browns so who knows.

He has 56 tackles and 1.5 sacks through 15 games, which are great numbers for a NT. Usually 2 gappers don't have direct tackle numbers.

Only if they had an offense they could make this a contest. Tide rolling now thou

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He is a beast...Really haven't seen him play until against Alabama today...Not sure where he is projected but looks like a 1st rounder to me...Rare player. ..

I believe hes a red shirt sophomore. Probably why you haven't really heard of him

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Only if they had an offense they could make this a contest. Tide rolling now thou

I believe hes a red shirt sophomore. Probably why you haven't really heard of him

Not a big NT guy, but thw truly elite Wilfork,Poe, Ngatas can change a defense,  not many of them around...Other positions I would take over NT early,  but if we thought he could be that type of guy Im ok with it...