Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I highly doubt elway has any say in those businesses. They just asked for his permission to use his name as a brand. I live near a john elway dealer. Second, they said peyton had no business experience and he owns part of papa johns chains in denver. Hes the sheriff he knows what hes doing when he drafts and how to look for talent.

When digging yourself a hole, stop digging.

Problem is, I am pretty sure that you don't know that you are digging your hole.

I think it's funny that everyone in this thread acts like they know Peyton Manning better than anybody. It's almost like he's in this thread talking the way you all act like you know what's in his mind. From "wanting full control" to "wanting to spend time with his kids cuz it suits him being a father"

i watched peyton for as long as anybody, and he never said a darn thing about what he wanted after retirement. The arguing like you know is getting a little bit ridiculous. 

Is the the end of the season here yet? After the last 2 years I kind of miss off season mode where y'all leave the forums. 

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think it's funny that everyone in this thread acts like they know Peyton Manning better than anybody. It's almost like he's in this thread talking the way you all act like you know what's in his mind. From "wanting full control" to "wanting to spend time with his kids cuz it suits him being a father"

i watched peyton for as long as anybody, and he never said a darn thing about what he wanted after retirement. The arguing like you know is getting a little bit ridiculous. 

Is the the end of the season here yet? After the last 2 years I kind of miss off season mode where y'all leave the forums. 

I'm guessing this comment was directed at me and my comments.   I'm good with it.   

Football has been his life,  his entire life.    He's now entered a new chapter, and that chapter does "suit" him.   

It doesn't mean he can't do both.     This thread has been interesting for sure, and you're correct,  everyone (myself included)   think they know what he's thinking, and / or  what's best for him.      It's mostly just talk and speculation.   That's what people do on Forums.

23 hours ago, swifty1812 said:

Jumping to the Gruden end of this rumor quickly. One thing to keep in mind with what "could be". Two coaches that coached under him at one point, Marc Trestman and Gus Bradley. 

i know it is completely speculation, but man that would be a solid HC/OC/DC combo.

Yeah, I know John Gruden always wanted to work with Peyton and Luck. So it would be a great scenario for him. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Believe what you will.      But there's no denying that Elway owned and ran the indoor arena football team in Denver and learned how to run a professional sports team and it set him up to run the Broncos.

I don't think running some rinky-dink arena league team is what set Elway up to build the Broncos into a Super Bowl winner. It definitely didn't hurt, but ultimately I think some guys just have a knack for it, some guys don't. Look at Ryan Grigson, he has a fantastic background with years of experience working in scouting departments for the Eagles & Rams, which at the time were 2 powerhouse teams that were LOADED with talent. Most would consider that experience much more valuable than running some arena league team, but like I said, some guys have a knack for it, some guys don't.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I find it comical people make assumptions about other people whom they have never met.    This post is full of assumptions you made based on Lord knows what.

You're right its not as if Manning keeps things close to the vest if he's taking a job in the NFL a national outlet would know about it before people here would. Its about witnessing his career the past 18 years and knowing how he operates he'll be at tomorrow's game because Polian is going into the Ring of Honor.

I'd love to get Manning I have no doubt he would be very good, but if not Im ok with Grigson he has been good the last couple years..This team is underperforming because of coaching and injuries. ..I just want a legit coach..We will be 11-5 next yeat with Pagano , but with Harbaugh or Gruden we will be a powerhouse and contender for Super Bowl...

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

I'm guessing this comment was directed at me and my comments.   I'm good with it.   

Football has been his life,  his entire life.    He's now entered a new chapter, and that chapter does "suit" him.   

It doesn't mean he can't do both.     This thread has been interesting for sure, and you're correct,  everyone (myself included)   think they know what he's thinking, and / or  what's best for him.      It's mostly just talk and speculation.   That's what people do on Forums.

I wasn't directing it at you intentionally I had read that in this particular thread, so please don't take it personally. I was just using it as an example! Glad you're okay with it my friend lol

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think running some rinky-dink arena league team is what set Elway up to build the Broncos into a Super Bowl winner. It definitely didn't hurt, but ultimately I think some guys just have a knack for it, some guys don't. Look at Ryan Grigson, he has a fantastic background with years of experience working in scouting departments for the Eagles & Rams, which at the time were 2 powerhouse teams that were LOADED with talent. Most would consider that experience much more valuable than running some arena league team, but like I said, some guys have a knack for it, some guys don't.

I'm just sharing with people here what Elway himself as said.     That running the franchise and making the mistakes that he did there --- and learning from them --- was like a graduate school for learning how to run a pro sports franchise.

You can agree or not.     But this is Elway's view,   not mine.     He says it in interviews.    It's his belief.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm just sharing with people here what Elway himself as said.     That running the franchise and making the mistakes that he did there --- and learning from them --- was like a graduate school for learning how to run a pro sports franchise.

You can agree or not.     But this is Elway's view,   not mine.     He says it in interviews.    It's his belief.

That's fair. But as far as Manning goes, I think I'd take my chances with him before I'd hire an arena league guy. That's probably a little homerish of me, but so be it.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's fair. But as far as Manning goes, I think I'd take my chances with him before I'd hire an arena league guy. That's probably a little homerish of me, but so be it.

I mean that's the first thing I look for in a GM...Gotta have some arena league experience and own businesses ...lol..Nevermind having one of the greatest football minds in the history of the game..

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I mean that's the first thing I look for in a GM...Gotta have some arena league experience and own businesses ...lol..Nevermind having one of the greatest football minds in the history of the game..

Two things...

1) Those things you mock, Arena League and business experience, absolutely contributed something to Elway's readiness to become a GM.  Are they the most important elements?  Of course not but I am sure they helped shape him into what he is today.

2) And Manning does have a great football mind.  No one would argue that.  But being able to immediately dissect a coverage is a long way from seeing a prospect and seeing how that kid's skills translate into the NFL.

Overall I am excited about the prospect of Manning joining the Cols again but I can't imagine it would be as a GM straight away if at all.  

20 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Elway also has a great football mind.  

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Two things...

1) Those things you mock, Arena League and business experience, absolutely contributed something to Elway's readiness to become a GM.  Are they the most important elements?  Of course not but I am sure they helped shape him into what he is today.

2) And Manning does have a great football mind.  No one would argue that.  But being able to immediately dissect a coverage is a long way from seeing a prospect and seeing how that kid's skills translate into the NFL.

Overall I am excited about the prospect of Manning joining the Cols again but I can't imagine it would be as a GM straight away if at all.  

Again Manning isn't your average cat more of a top 1% type..I think years of studying opponents and playing at the highest level would give him a pretty keen eye for NFL talent..For most guys experience would be a requisite for sure..Only way to find out is try..I doubt he would take a lesser role to be honest..As far as the business side Manning has many businesses himself so he has experience...Every team has lawyers and accountants who handle the financial side and I'm sure Manning would listen to them..

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Again Manning isn't your average cat more of a top 1% type..I think years of studying opponents and playing at the highest level would give him a pretty keen eye for NFL talent..For most guys experience would be a requisite for sure..Only way to find out is try..I doubt he would take a lesser role to be honest..As far as the business side Manning has many businesses himself so he has experience...Every team has lawyers and accountants who handle the financial side and I'm sure Manning would listen to them..

I understand completely what Manning is and his intelligence level.  I also think that intelligence would not let him take a GM job without any prior experience.  He is smart enough to know what he does not know.  An ideal scenario might be something like bring Polian back and learn under him for a couple years before taking over.  

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

I understand completely what Manning is and his intelligence level.  I also think that intelligence would not let him take a GM job without any prior experience.  He is smart enough to know what he does not know.  An ideal scenario might be something like bring Polian back and learn under him for a couple years before taking over.  

If that is an option sure..I don't know if it is...

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

That is the only way that I would feel alright about bringing Peyton in as GM right now. 

21 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Now wouldn't that be something?  

24 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Polian will be in town this weekend.,....

I know Manning is loved here and would be a great mentor in helping Luck grow to his full potential. Look what Peyton accomplished when he actually had a defense. I think Manning knows better than anyone that defense wins championships. I'm just not sure how he would fit in here as a GM. But then again, that's why you hire scouts.. but I would love for Manning to come back here, especially if he could help Andrew take his game up to the potential we all know he has.

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

As long as Polian doesn't insist on switch back to 4-3 defense...I want to stay 3-4 and add pieces next few years and I think defense will be good...We have the building blocks in place, just need a few pass rushers and ilb to take a major leap next year..

We need about 3 pass rushers and 1 solid inside guy. We are years from filling those holes.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Two things...

Exactly my point, but that's why we have scouts.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Impossible to know that 

Mathis and Cole are gone. The Colts need to move on from Jackson. I'm not sold on Morrison and Edwin Jackson (far too young to tell what we have there)

Walden is a free agent and will be 31 (I think we need to move on from him as well)

This team needs a nasty presence coming from both ends, perhaps Chandler Jones and a rookie round 1. It's going to be interesting to see where we go in FA and the draft this year.

Too bad Jerry Hughes and Werner didn't pan out here.. same with Newsome. If thing's were different, we wouldn't be in this situation. We need to bring in some nasty play-makers on D.

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Years??? We can do that this offseason definately in 2 years..We change to 4-3 we are starting from scratch..

I can't see the Colts switching schemes AGAIN.

For the past five years we were unable to find a proven consistent pass rusher other than Mathis who had already been on the roster.

Freeman was our best ILB from the Grigson era and he just let him walk.

If Grigson and Pagano are here next season I'm not counting on them filling any of those two roles.

23 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

As long as Polian doesn't insist on switch back to 4-3 defense...I want to stay 3-4 and add pieces next few years and I think defense will be good...We have the building blocks in place, just need a few pass rushers and ilb to take a major leap next year..

Why would he insist on that?  HIs defenses in Buffalo were 3-4 based.

7 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

We need about 3 pass rushers and 1 solid inside guy. We are years from filling those holes.

On offense we are basically set other than RB and young..Eventually need to get future LT and maybe a guard but not pressing needs at all right now..2 drafts and offseasons focused on defense will make us a complete team on both sides...It took awhile but we closer than you think..

Just now, jskinnz said:

Why would he insist on that?  HIs defenses in Buffalo were 3-4 based.

Going back on his model here..I think Peyton knows value of 3-4 as that is what he struggled against..Only saying he would because we are ranked in the 28th range and maybe he thinks 4-3 Manning era model is way to go and he might want to show Grigson up idk....I didn't say he would just said as long as he didn't. ..

I remember bringing up PM as a Gm a year ago and being laughed off this forum by most, even a mod joined in.  

To me though, it makes perfect sense.  Not only does it reinvigorate the fan base and give the franchise some excitement and flash, but PM is just a smart smart football man.  He is known as possibly the smartest and most innovating QB to play the game. A true innovator who won as much with his head as his arm.  Yet some would rather have some no name who has never played a game in his life as GM rather than perhaps the greatest football mind of all time?????

Tell me how that makes any sense?

This is a no brainer and every bit and then some worth the risk of him having no real experience.  That is why you bring in "tutors" to guide him while he learns.  And knowing him, it won't take him long at all to learn the job.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I remember bringing up PM as a Gm a year ago and being laughed off this forum by most, even a mod joined in.  

To me though, it makes perfect sense.  Not only does it reinvigorate the fan base and give the franchise some excitement and flash, but PM is just a smart smart football man.  He is known as possibly the smartest and most innovating QB to play the game. A true innovator who won as much with his head as his arm.  Yet some would rather have some no name who has never played a game in his life as GM rather than perhaps the greatest football mind of all time?????

This is a no brainer and every bit and then some worth the risk of him having no real experience.  That is why you bring in "tutors" to guide him while he learns.  And knowing him, it won't take him long at all to learn the job.

I've wanted him as HC, I think he will be great at either though...

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Almost all of the greatest gms never played the game