Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

If Peyton has his way, David Cutcliffe is the coach.  I am half kidding and half not.  This guy was his offensive coordinator at Tenn., Eli's coach at Ole Miss and the guy he and Eli go back to every off season to review, look at tape and get suggestions from him.  

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And where does it say that Manning would be anything other than director of marketing, or something similar....

"(Vincent) made this much very clear: there’s 'definite interest' from Jim Irsay and the Colts on bringing Manning back to the organization - and he stressed that there was definite interest," Wilson wrote. "He added that he doesn’t expect that to change and said that he thinks there will continue to be interest in bringing Manning back. 

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

These guys aren't trying to give up their sources, but here's what I've seen thus far...

And Peyton should have an ownership share, IMO, as a form of security against his own poor performance if nothing else.

A failure as a GM or HC would certainly tarnish his brand.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And where does it say that Manning would be anything other than director of marketing, or something similar....

"(Vincent) made this much very clear: there’s 'definite interest' from Jim Irsay and the Colts on bringing Manning back to the organization - and he stressed that there was definite interest," Wilson wrote. "He added that he doesn’t expect that to change and said that he thinks there will continue to be interest in bringing Manning back. 

Seriously?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of all the jobs in the organization,  director of marketing would not be for Peyton.  

Irsay  wants him for his football intelligence,  not his experience in Papa John's commercials

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's consistent with what a lot of other reputable people are saying. And they're not "takes," this is stuff that has actually been going down these past few days.

Then link them and not the one with the least credibility.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's consistent with what a lot of other reputable people are saying. And they're not "takes," this is stuff that has actually been going down these past few days.

Says who?  No one is saying for certain anything is "going down"

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Seriously?

But why would anybody assume it meant Manning would be GM?  Or that there would be any changes to GM or HC if Manning came aboard.

That's the issue isn't it?  That Manning's appearance would cause either Grigson or Pagano to be fired.   Where do any of these reports say that....or even imply it?

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Says who?  No one is saying for certain anything is "going down"

At this point people are searching for anything. It's like kids searching the house for presents before Christmas. At least Brad Wells' (probable nonsense) info is something. 

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm at work chief, I'm posting what I have time to post, when I have time to post it. If you're that curious, feel free to do some digging of your own.

No need to get snippy.....chief.

1 minute ago, corgi said:

At this point people are searching for anything. It's like kids searching the house for presents before Christmas. At least Brad Wells' (probable nonsense) info is something. 

Anyone could post that and I would believe it over him.  Do you have a Twitter?   If you do,  I will go to your page and you could post verbatim what he said and I would believe it more than him

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

These guys aren't trying to give up their sources, but here's what I've seen thus far...

That's good info from Wells, if it's true (see, I can be fair; still can't stand him, though). 

I was thinking that, before Manning would accept a front office job, he'd want some stake to protect himself. He wouldn't be a controlling owner in any case, but having an ownership stake would make it harder for him to be fired, if it ever came to that. There would be a much softer landing if ever needed to be replaced.

The Jordan scenario in Washington is something he'd want to avoid, I'm sure.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess I just don't see Irsay's comments being the cause of this frenzy, or an inherent logic needing to be addressed like a 6-10 season.  I see the noise being caused by people or reporters interpreting his comments or what they see.  If others are more of the direct cause, I don't see why he should be obligated to stop it.

Last year was different.  Pagano's contract was up.  Something had to be done.

This year, he's on a 4 year contract and just finished an 8-8 season.  I don't see why Irsay has to say anything and can't just go forward with FA and draft analysis as usual.

BTW, I think Chuck is mediocre, but its Irsay's decision.

For whatever it's worth....

Here's a NFL Network interview done with Bob Kravitz TODAY.

And the Network is saying the same thing....     "We're still waiting for something out of Indianapolis from the owners.....    Anything!"

If you're interested, the interview is three and a half minutes.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/game-day-pulse/0ap3000000769712/Has-Jim-Irsay-reached-out-to-Peyton-Manning-about-Colts-job?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

As for Pagano....     I think he's good, but not very good and I don't see him as a Super Bowl coach.   But I think we can win with him until we find someone better.

2 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

As much as PM did for the city of Indianapolis, state of Indiana, and the NFL in general, its not an unreasonable request. 

Those entities wouldn't be giving up anything.  The Irsay family would.    I love Peyton and would love for him to own the team outright,  but Irsay isn't going to give up much if any of his company

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone could post that and I would believe it over him.  Do you have a Twitter?   If you do,  I will go to your page and you could post verbatim what he said and I would believe it more than him

Oh I do, and I don't really believe anything he says. 

2 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

I understand that. Who's source do you believe?

Oh,  I believe he wouldn't want to take a job that he was uncomfortable with.   I have thought that all along.  He is a worker.  He never took his talent for granted.   I thought he would want to work and be very confident of his skill before he takes any job

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

He wouldn't be impossible to remove as GM, just impossible to be thrown out on the street unceremoniously.

Seems as possible approach would be to put any ownership stake on a vesting schedule ... say, stick with the team 5 years and meet certain performance objectives, and Peyton receives X% ownership. 

Ok, so the reporter who said that "Irsay wants Manning back in the organization.......and wants ownership shareas...if not now... in the future...."

Apparently, doesn't know in what CAPACITY Irsay wants him back.

Why doesn't he know that if he knows more than the rest of us.?

Golly, 95% of the forum believes that Irsay would like to see Manning "back with the organization"   WHo doesn't?  

Does that make me a reporter?  Does that mean Chuck's getting fired?

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

He wouldn't be impossible to remove as GM, just impossible to be thrown out on the street unceremoniously.

That's fair. And in all reality, Irsay could still sleep on it and decide that it's a worthwhile move. But as of right now, it sounds like negotiations are at a standstill.

On 12/28/2016 at 5:48 PM, Superman said:

Money lures free agents.

Manning might want to surround Luck with a defense and OL, but he has no experience identifying and selecting talent. He's never been in a draft room, let alone set a draft board. 

I have no problem with Manning joining the Colts in some capacity, but he'd be nothing more than a figurehead. If Irsay handed Manning any kind of control over the team, it would be a serious mistake, IMO. I don't think this is a serious consideration on Irsay's part.

You sound like you are taking this personally lol.What a bold statement.A few bold ones.Lol,it is just so silly to say Peyton has no experience in seeing talent.Cant believe you just wrote that for everyone to see.Peyton Manning just does not know enough about football to see talent...................smh.....

31 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

So, JMV says Peyton reportedly doesn't feel ready, and Brad Wells says an ownership stake is the sticking point.  Which do I believe?  I lean toward JMV.

They're not mutually exclusive, I follow both, and I suspect they have the same source.

Just my reading between the lines: Peyton isn't ready to take an executive position... without the safety net of an ownership stake.

52 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Your judged on getting to the playoffs and winning the superbowl which pagano and grigson are not capable of doing.

Irrelevant to this post. They have got closer to it than many many coaches in this league ever have. Just think about that before you continue on with the relentless hating......

20 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Seems as possible approach would be to put any ownership stake on a vesting schedule ... say, stick with the team 5 years and meet certain performance objectives, and Peyton receives X% ownership. 

Oh, I'm assuming Manning would be buying in, not just be given a stake that increases in the future. I could be wrong about that, but that's how I would approach it if I were him. I would buy in at today's value, assuming that the franchise continues to appreciate and that my own involvement would increase the team's value, not just because of my brand, but because I'm going to bring something to the table and help the team be run better. That's the smart investment, IMO. Then he'd be paid like any other GM, but would have built in profit sharing as a minority owner.

Irsay clearly intends for the Colts to be a family-run business, so while he's alive, he'll be the majority owner and control all operations. Then when he's gone, his daughters can do what they want with the team, but he's still relatively young, so that's not happening any time soon. So I don't think Manning would be having an eye on being the team owner. I think he'd be looking at it as an investment, in which case he should buy in, as I said.

9 minutes ago, Johnny colt said:

You sound like you are taking this personally lol.What a bold statement.A few bold ones.Lol,it is just so silly to say Peyton has no experience in seeing talent.Cant believe you just wrote that for everyone to see.Peyton Manning just does not know enough about football to see talent...................smh.....

I said no such thing.

57 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm at work chief, I'm posting what I have time to post, when I have time to post it. If you're that curious, feel free to do some digging of your own.

I appreciate it. Any news is better than no news as long as it is somewhat real. If it is obviously fake that is different, but this forum can use all the "news" about changes it can. Because I feel like many of us are going crazy with all of this silence!

59 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Of all the jobs in the organization,  director of marketing would not be for Peyton.  

Irsay  wants him for his football intelligence,  not his experience in Papa John's commercials

It's not just his experience in Papa John commercials, But all those toppings too!