Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Couldn't agree more. We are into Wednesday now, and while we all have our theories, we have still heard nothing. All we know is there have been extensive meetings for a couple of days now, but thats it.

What meetings?  How do we know Irsay is having meetings?  I must have missed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV hinted that he has some info he may share on his show tomorrow. We will see.

I live about 14 hours away from Indianapolis so I'm out of the Indy sports radio loop, what time does his show air?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I didn't say that...Larry Bird has been a mix bag really. Just as many would say he has done a good job as a bad job. What I'm saying is he could ruin some people's opinion of him here or be celebrated. I don't think we can say either way. I don't think we have enough info to say he will do one or the other.

My bad.    I must have read it hastily and assumed you were referring to Bird in a bad way.

I agree that we don't know how Manning would do as GM.  Personally, I would put my money on him being successful.   He seems to always make wise decisions whether in life or on the field.   I think it is mostly because he puts in the time and does the research before making a decision.   A well researched educated guess is better than a typical Grigson guess.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you have any thing to back this up?

Werner, Richardson ect.....

 

Manning would not have been as successful as a QB if he had not put in many extra hours in order to be prepared.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

JMV said he has been told that Manning does not feel like he is prepared yet to take on a job like GM.  But there was interest and discussions from Irsay. He also indicated he thinks the silence is more likely to mean a change is possibly coming rather then keeping things as is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So far, I'm not a big fan of the way this has unfolded.

 

I don't like letting anyone twist in the wind,  especially so publicly.

 

By now, Irsay should know what he wants to do.      If he doesn't,  then he should've requested that Chuck not have his normal Monday meeting with the media.      If he's keeping Chuck,  then he should've had a presser, or at least put out a statement.

 

If he's handling it all at once --- fine --- by what's taking so long?    For the 2nd year in a row,  do you really need to have meetings that last hours long?       I find this....    curious at best,  and poorly handled at worst.

 

If he thinks we should all just assume everything is normal then I find this extremely poorly handled. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

JMV said he has been told that Manning does not feel like he is prepared yet to take on a job like GM.  But there was interest and discussions from Irsay. He also indicated he thinks the silence is more likely to mean a change is possibly coming rather then keeping things as is.

I think thats what the silence means as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If he thinks we should all just assume everything is normal then I find this extremely poorly handled. 

 

Fair enough.

 

Let me ask you a question, and this is NOT a prediction.

 

10-14 days from now,  Irsay fires Grigson and Pagano and hires, say,  Nick Saban to run the show.

 

Will it be worth the wait?      Will you be happy?

 

Just asking.....        Not setting you up for anything....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Fair enough.

 

Let me ask you a question, and this is NOT a prediction.

 

10-14 days from now,  Irsay fires Grigson and Pagano and hires, say,  Nick Saban to run the show.

 

Will it be worth the wait?      Will you be happy?

 

Just asking.....        Not setting you up for anything....

 

Most definitely I'm not sure I'm a big Saban fan but I like him more then Chuck that's for sure. My post was actually more towards if he ends up keeping them and never tells us I would see that as extremely poorly handled. I'll wait as long as it takes tho to get rid of Grigson and Pagano!! If neither is here at the start of FA then this offseason is a success IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Most definitely I'm not sure I'm a big Saban fan but I like him more then Chuck that's for sure. My post was actually more towards if he ends up keeping them and never tells us I would see that as extremely poorly handled. I'll wait as long as it takes tho to get rid of Grigson and Pagano!! If neither is here at the start of FA then this offseason is a success IMO.

 

Agreed.     I think he owes the fan base at least a statement of what he plans to do.      His comment from about three weeks back was not definite.     He left open the possibility of change.      So, he should state his intentions.

 

And,  in a perfect world,  there should be a news conference where the media gets to ask him his views on the season and why he decided either not to make a change,  or to make a change.      Either way.

 

I think the fan base is expecting that,   and I think they deserve that.      When there are question marks surrounding the program,  you want to address them so rumors don't start.

 

Control your own message.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Agreed.     I think he owes the fan base at least a statement of what he plans to do.      His comment from about three weeks back was not definite.     He left open the possibility of change.      So, he should state his intentions.

 

And,  in a perfect world,  there should be a news conference where the media gets to ask him his views on the season and why he decided either not to make a change,  or to make a change.      Either way.

 

I think the fan base is expecting that,   and I think they deserve that.      When there are question marks surrounding the program,  you want to address them so rumors don't start.

 

Control your own message.

 

 

I agree 150% my friend great post !! This is exactly the same way I feel about this situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Agreed.     I think he owes the fan base at least a statement of what he plans to do.      His comment from about three weeks back was not definite.     He left open the possibility of change.      So, he should state his intentions.

 

And,  in a perfect world,  there should be a news conference where the media gets to ask him his views on the season and why he decided either not to make a change,  or to make a change.      Either way.

 

I think the fan base is expecting that,   and I think they deserve that.      When there are question marks surrounding the program,  you want to address them so rumors don't start.

 

Control your own message.

 

 

Agreed, no owner owes an explanation for retaining a staff but if you left it open a few weeks ago you have to say something. Fans deserve it, especially STH's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Indy media has been saying it on twitter

And Pagano said at his presser that they will sit down and have an end of year evaluation meeting about personnel.  I assume those could be the meetings Irsay is in.  Not necessarily meetings about retaining his GM or HC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Agreed.     I think he owes the fan base at least a statement of what he plans to do.      His comment from about three weeks back was not definite.     He left open the possibility of change.      So, he should state his intentions.

 

And,  in a perfect world,  there should be a news conference where the media gets to ask him his views on the season and why he decided either not to make a change,  or to make a change.      Either way.

 

I think the fan base is expecting that,   and I think they deserve that.      When there are question marks surrounding the program,  you want to address them so rumors don't start.

 

Control your own message.

 

 

But a lot of this discussion is based on media and fan chatter.  There was never any logical basis for it.  

 

Signed a 4 year extension last year (with no playoff ultimatum given, btw), said continuity was important, the team finished with the same record under which the extension was given, had injuries, and he said to not expect major changes.

 

If the team went 6-10, there may be some reasonable basis for questioning Pagano's job, for which he may need to clarify.  But frankly, I don't think Irsay owes anybody any explanation just because the fans and media have gone on a feeding frenzy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But a lot of this discussion is based on media and fan chatter.  There was never any logical basis for it.  

 

Signed a 4 year extension last year (with no playoff ultimatum given, btw), said continuity was important, the team finished with the same record under which the extension was given, had injuries, and he said to not expect major changes.

 

If the team went 6-10, there may be some reasonable basis for questioning Pagano's job, for which he may need to clarify.  But frankly, I don't think Irsay owes anybody any explanation just because the fans and media have gone on a feeding frenzy.

 

Maybe maybe not but I think we'll hear some definites by mid next week if not sooner

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Fair enough.

 

Let me ask you a question, and this is NOT a prediction.

 

10-14 days from now,  Irsay fires Grigson and Pagano and hires, say,  Nick Saban to run the show.

 

Will it be worth the wait?      Will you be happy?

 

Just asking.....        Not setting you up for anything....

 

 

Absolutely. I can't say we'd win a Super Bowl right away with Saban, not with any certainty anyways, but they wouldn't be unprepared going into games, and there DEFINITELY wouldn't be reports of players saying that they're not getting coached hard enough. Those 2 facts alone would make me giddy, everything else, let the chips fall where they may.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Well what if Irsay wants to talk with potential candidates who are in the playoffs? Maybe he is waiting to talk with some. If it doesn't work out...bring Pagigson back.

No potential candidate is going to go to an interview for a job that isn't open.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Well what if Irsay wants to talk with potential candidates who are in the playoffs? Maybe he is waiting to talk with some. If it doesn't work out...bring Pagigson back.

Media reports have linked 5 teams to ATL OC Kyle Shanahan.  Apparently, those teams haven't been shy about displaying interest towards somebody on a playoff team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No potential candidate is going to go to an interview for a job that isn't open.  

That's why I think it's either Saban or Manning. Saban has a game yet to play and it could be that he's told Irsay he wanted no distractions as he tries to win yet another title at Bama. 

 

Or

 

it could be that peyton is truly trying to make up how mind. 

 

We know Irsay is rumored to have wanted Saban last year. So it could be a wait and see game

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

That's why I think it's either Saban or Manning. Saban has a game yet to play and it could be that he's told Irsay he wanted no distractions as he tries to win yet another title at Bama. 

 

Or

 

it could be that peyton is truly trying to make up how mind. 

 

We know Irsay is rumored to have wanted Saban last year. So it could be a wait and see game

I hope Irsay doesn't think he has to get some big fish there are good options avaliable like McDaniels and Shanahan. Both are young great offensive minds who's QBs are 1 and 2 in the MVP race. Bring a good DC and a new GM that has had success helping in building a team like Chris Ballard in KC. And I think you are setting up for something good. Don't always need a sexy splash signing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

But a lot of this discussion is based on media and fan chatter.  There was never any logical basis for it.  

 

Signed a 4 year extension last year (with no playoff ultimatum given, btw), said continuity was important, the team finished with the same record under which the extension was given, had injuries, and he said to not expect major changes.

 

If the team went 6-10, there may be some reasonable basis for questioning Pagano's job, for which he may need to clarify.  But frankly, I don't think Irsay owes anybody any explanation just because the fans and media have gone on a feeding frenzy.

 

 

Irsay opened the door with his comments on 12-16 of last year.      That he wasn't planning any changes at this time.      That leaves room for interpretation.      "At this time" leaves the door open.      Then there was the story that Indy coaches were worried that Irsay was upset and that heads could roll.    

 

Too much noise surrounding the program.

 

I'm a big believer in staying out in front of a story.    Control your message.    Because if you don't,  someone else will.    

 

Irsay may not be obligated to make a public comment or hold a news conference,  but I think it's the smart thing to do.     I think it would be in everyone's best interest.   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Word in the Twittersphere is that Manning wanted ownership shares, and negotiation talks are stuck right now. But Pagano getting the boot is very likely.

Link to the source of the ownership shares?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Irsay opened the door with his comments on 12-16 of last year.      That he wasn't planning any changes at this time.      That leaves room for interpretation.      "At this time" leaves the door open.      Then there was the story that Indy coaches were worried that Irsay was upset and that heads could roll.    

 

Too much noise surrounding the program.

 

I'm a big believer in staying out in front of a story.    Control your message.    Because if you don't,  someone else will.    

 

Irsay may not be obligated to make a public comment or hold a news conference,  but I think it's the smart thing to do.     I think it would be in everyone's best interest.   

 

 

I guess I just don't see Irsay's comments being the cause of this frenzy, or an inherent logic needing to be addressed like a 6-10 season.  I see the noise being caused by people or reporters interpreting his comments or what they see.  If others are more of the direct cause, I don't see why he should be obligated to stop it.

 

Last year was different.  Pagano's contract was up.  Something had to be done.

 

This year, he's on a 4 year contract and just finished an 8-8 season.  I don't see why Irsay has to say anything and can't just go forward with FA and draft analysis as usual.

 

BTW, I think Chuck is mediocre, but its Irsay's decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I hope Irsay doesn't think he has to get some big fish there are good options avaliable like McDaniels and Shanahan. Both are young great offensive minds who's QBs are 1 and 2 in the MVP race. Bring a good DC and a new GM that has had success helping in building a team like Chris Ballard in KC. And I think you are setting up for something good. Don't always need a sexy splash signing.

I doubt Saban is in play, but if Irsay is wanting to make a change, you can't blame him for wanting someone who has some success being a HC.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I guess I just don't see Irsay's comments being the cause of this frenzy, or an inherent logic needing to be addressed like a 6-10 season.  I see the noise being caused by people or reporters interpreting his comments or what they see.  If others are more of the direct cause, I don't see why he should be obligated to stop it.

 

Last year was different.  Pagano's contract was up.  Something had to be done.

 

This year, he's on a 4 year contract and just finished an 8-8 season.  I don't see why Irsay has to say anything and can't just go forward with FA and draft analysis as usual.

He doesn't have to say anything, it's just damn odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I doubt Saban is in play, but if Irsay is wanting to make a change, you can't blame him for wanting someone who has some success being a HC.

 

 

I don't think he is and I'm ok with that. But I think a young Shanahan woukd be way more successful then dummy Chuck especially with Luck. 

 

But I see why Irsay woukd think that way. I honestly think it's pretty easy to upgrade from Chuck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:22 AM, braveheartcolt said:

He definitely could be worse. 49/80 wins is above average. Or would you be judging his success on goofy smiles and funny commercials? In terms of regular season wins, Grigson is probably top 10, if not higher. Definitely very easy to be worse than that.....

Your judged on getting to the playoffs and winning the superbowl which pagano and grigson are not capable of doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...