Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Going back on his model here..I think Peyton knows value of 3-4 as that is what he struggled against..Only saying he would because we are ranked in the 28th range and maybe he thinks 4-3 Manning era model is way to go and he might want to show Grigson up idk....I didn't say he would just said as long as he didn't. ..

For the love of God...

To the bolded - that dog don't hunt.  

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Going back on his model here..I think Peyton knows value of 3-4 as that is what he struggled against..Only saying he would because we are ranked in the 28th range and maybe he thinks 4-3 Manning era model is way to go and he might want to show Grigson up idk....I didn't say he would just said as long as he didn't. ..

The coach determines the style of defense,  not the gm.  The gm gets players that fit the defense the coach runs

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Almost all of the greatest gms never played the game

Yes, but there have not been many players smarter at the game of football, let alone being a quarterback in the game of football, than #18.

He has everything and then some you would want in a GM.  Except experience.  So why take a chance with giving him a chance to learn somewhere else?  Like with the Titans for example. If he wants the job, you take the risk and let him do it.  The reward far outweighs the risk.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Yes, but there have not been many players smarter at the game of football, let alone being a quarterback in the game of football, than #18.

He has everything and then some you would want in a GM.  Except experience.  So why take a chance with giving him a chance to learn somewhere else?  Like with the Titans for example. If he wants the job, you take the risk and let him do it.  The reward far outweighs the risk.

If he wants the job,  I'm all for giving him a shot.   I would just be surprised if that's what he wants to do

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We can't look any more incompetent than we do right now so why not just let Peyton run the show without any experience 

We very much can look more incompetent. What world are you living in? We could go 0 - 16, 1 - 15. I could go on, but I'm sure you can do the sums.....

Manning gets the boot from Indy...Indy goes from serious annual contender to drop dead average overnight.

Manning goes to Denver...two SB appearances in 4 years. Could have been 3 if they weren't hosed by Bill Vinovich in the Ravens playoff game.

Peyton may have zero experience running an organization, but the guy knows what a successful team should look like and how to lead.  I say roll the dice with him if it's on the table.

What's the worst that could happen? We're still 8-8 or worse and still can't even win our crappy division? If that's the case he goes in a couple years and we try again. Sometimes you have to roll the dice instead of going with the status quo of what you KNOW won't work to get ahead. Take a chance. That's true for many facets of life.

On 12/28/2016 at 4:43 PM, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

I would be MORE THAN willing to extend him the opportunity of learning the business. 

What did John Elway do after he retired? I believe he ran a car lot, right? 

This story is likely more hype than actual truth, but if I believe if we get the chance to bring in Peyton Manning (in his young 40s) as a GM, then the next 20-25 years will be very successful Colts years. 

43 minutes ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Manning gets the boot from Indy...Indy goes from serious annual contender to drop dead average overnight.

Manning goes to Denver...two SB appearances in 4 years. Could have been 3 if they weren't hosed by Bill Vinovich in the Ravens playoff game.

Peyton may have zero experience running an organization, but the guy knows what a successful team should look like and how to lead.  I say roll the dice with him if it's on the table.

What's the worst that could happen? We're still 8-8 or worse and still can't even win our crappy division? If that's the case he goes in a couple years and we try again. Sometimes you have to roll the dice instead of going with the status quo of what you KNOW won't work to get ahead. Take a chance. That's true for many facets of life.

Stop bringing facts into this debate! 

:thmup:

Here's a frightening thought:

Say this actually goes down. Irsay drops the hammer on grigson and pagano both. Peyton comes in as the new GM.

The Lions miss the playoffs and fire Jim Caldwell.

Peyton still has a fierce loyalty to Caldwell. He called William Clay Ford personally and told him to hire Caldwell. Irsay himself didn't fire Caldwell when he cleaned house post-2011. That was a decision made by grigson after his hire.

Wouldn't that be some real %?

Since we're just talking, PM as Head Coach makes more sense than GM, for a number of reasons.

1.  The NFL is a business.  Irsay has been around enough to know that what is good for the NFL is good for his business.  Simply put, the NFL is a more interesting place when PM is involved in some visible way.  PM on the sidelines, calling plays, and giving interviews makes the NFL more interesting than him being in an office somewhere.  And Frankly, Andrew Luck seems to not like the interview part anyway, so I don't think he would feel slighted.

2.  The skills he acquired in the NFL better relate to a blue-collar on the field working approach to the game than an executive decision maker.  More of a Tom Moore/Tony Dungy than a Polian. If there are concerns about him handling the adminstrative aspects of being a HC, for which he has no experience, then put Joe Philbin as Assistant HC to handle some of the mundane stuff.  Philbin has experience.  A PM HC/Philbin AHC probably would do no worse than a Pagano 8-8 season.

3.  Our DC is not competing for a HC spot.  He was a LB coach last year so he should not feel bitterness about being passed over.  Another DC might not want to work with a rookie HC.

4.  While PM is an offensive minded guy, he certainly understands the value of having to go up against a great defense with great defensive players.  He won his last SB with that formula, and always had respect for Belichicks defense's and players like Ty Law and Teddy Bruschi.  I'm sure that he would understand devoting first round picks to pass rushers and CBs

5.  Pressure from the NFL.  I'd bet more than a dollar that Goodell, all 32 owners, and the media are wanting PM to join the Colts in some visible capacity, and may be encouraging him behind the scenes.  It just good business.

Saw on twitter former Colt Marlin Jackson says Irsay and Manning have had discussions and that he thinks the ball is all in Peyton's court.  So whether or not this  happens, it's becoming pretty clear that there have indeed been discussions and is something Irsay seems to want.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I would be MORE THAN willing to extend him the opportunity of learning the business. 

What did John Elway do after he retired? I believe he ran a car lot, right? 

This story is likely more hype than actual truth, but if I believe if we get the chance to bring in Peyton Manning (in his young 40s) as a GM, then the next 20-25 years will be very successful Colts years. 

He did more than run a car lot. He earned relevant experience.

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since we're just talking, PM as Head Coach makes more sense than GM, for a number of reasons.

1.  The NFL is a business.  Irsay has been around enough to know that what is good for the NFL is good for his business.  Simply put, the NFL is a more interesting place when PM is involved in some visible way.  PM on the sidelines, calling plays, and giving interviews makes the NFL more interesting than him being in an office somewhere.  And Frankly, Andrew Luck seems to not like the interview part anyway, so I don't think he would feel slighted.

2.  The skills he acquired in the NFL better relate to a blue-collar on the field working approach to the game than an executive decision maker.  More of a Tom Moore/Tony Dungy than a Polian. If there are concerns about him handling the adminstrative aspects of being a HC, for which he has no experience, then put Joe Philbin as Assistant HC to handle some of the mundane stuff.  Philbin has experience.  A PM HC/Philbin AHC probably would do no worse than a Pagano 8-8 season.

3.  Our DC is not competing for a HC spot.  He was a LB coach last year so he should not feel bitterness about being passed over.  Another DC might not want to work with a rookie HC.

4.  While PM is an offensive minded guy, he certainly understands the value of having to go up against a great defense with great defensive players.  He won his last SB with that formula, and always had respect for Belichicks defense's and players like Ty Law and Teddy Bruschi.  I'm sure that he would understand devoting first round picks to pass rushers and CBs

5.  Pressure from the NFL.  I'd bet more than a dollar that Goodell, all 32 owners, and the media are wanting PM to join the Colts in some visible capacity, and may be encouraging him behind the scenes.  It just good business.

It would still bother me that he has no coaching experience, but his time as a player is far more relevant to coaching than it is to being a GM. If Manning wanted to be the head coach, I'd be able to get behind that for sure.

On the radio Bob Lamey said Grigson won't be on the show Monday like he always is...Then he had Polian in the booth talking draft strategy..I won't be shocked if there is an announcement tomorrow on the hiring of Polian and Manning..They are already in town anyways...Just a feeling I got..

This might even get me to renew my season tickets again.

38 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

On the radio Bob Lamey said Grigson won't be on the show Monday like he always is...Then he had Polian in the booth talking draft strategy..I won't be shocked if there is an announcement tomorrow on the hiring of Polian and Manning..They are already in town anyways...Just a feeling I got..

On 12/28/2016 at 10:02 PM, CF4L said:

Agenda? Please I don't think Peyton really cares about the Colts beyond his time here which is fine but I think there are others who can't accept it for some reason. Regardless Jimbo said this 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jim-irsay-to-play-for-colts-you-have-to-want-more-than-1-super-bowl/

Don't know about you but that doesn't seem really respectful to me and I can only imagine what Peyton thinks. To pretend it wouldn't bother him is rather naive but hey you live in your own little world to the surprise of nobody.

How long have you been around here?? I am a new poster, but have been lurking here for years, but there's one thing you should learn early on - never disagree with Superman.  He is always right.  Always.  He has never been wrong in his entire life, and he will make sure that he puts us peasants in our place in a smug, snarky, and arrogant way.

8 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We can't look any more incompetent than we do right now so why not just let Peyton run the show without any experience 

I want to say first I want change and think there will be but to argue the Colts can't get any worse is ridiculous.  They are talking about firing a coach and GM who haven't had a losing season in their five years here.  Lots of teams would sign up for that not look to fire someone for it.  People who don't think it could be worse?  Go ask a Browns, Bills, or a Jags fan if it can be worse.  

Again I am pro change but things could still be worse but they also could and should be much better.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want to say first I want change and think there will be but to argue the Colts can't get any worse is ridiculous.  They are talking about firing a coach and GM who haven't had a losing season in their five years here.  Lots of teams would sign up for that not look to fire someone for it.  People who don't think it could be worse?  Go ask a Browns, Bills, or a Jags fan if it can be worse.  

Again I am pro change but things could still be worse but they also could and should be much better.

Ask chris polian ;)

46 minutes ago, Mr Coffee said:

How long have you been around here?? I am a new poster, but have been lurking here for years, but there's one thing you should learn early on - never disagree with Superman.  He is always right.  Always.  He has never been wrong in his entire life, and he will make sure that he puts us peasants in our place in a smug, snarky, and arrogant way.

Hard to blame him for being a fan.  He's a Colts fan, to a fault.  His draft and free agency evaluations are top notch - extremely high quality.  When it comes to the Colts - roster, coaching, management - the fan comes out, as it does with most of us.  He knows his football, though, and if he posts something, I make a point of reading it.

6 hours ago, #12. said:

Hard to blame him for being a fan.  He's a Colts fan, to a fault.  His draft and free agency evaluations are top notch - extremely high quality.  When it comes to the Colts - roster, coaching, management - the fan comes out, as it does with most of us.  He knows his football, though, and if he posts something, I make a point of reading it.

No doubt, he is knowledgeable, and he does know his football.  I just wish that people on these boards would let everyone express their opinions without being made to feel ignorant or stupid.  That's part of the fun of the boards.  Expressing opinions and theories, even though others may disagree. 

10 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

This is the set up I have been advocating..... Bring MAnning in, and have Polian as a key advisor......

On 12/29/2016 at 0:24 PM, Rackeen305 said:

What can be harder than running an NFL football organization with no experience under your belt? Oh running America, with no experience under your belt. (wait a minute).

I know I can't get into politics on this site, but my respect for the state of Indiana in general fell with what happened in November.

13 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

This is the set up I have been advocating..... Bring MAnning in, and have Polian as a key advisor......

There is something up..In postgame press conference Pagano was asked about his job status he refused to answer and walked off...His victory speech was serious and the players faces told the story..They know something we don't yet..During the game the way the players were acting extra excited for him, Grigson was no where to be seen....Something is going down..I just hope it is Manning, Polian,and Gruden..