Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Will Peyton Play Next Year?

Peyton and Eli fan

Where will Peyton play next year?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Peyton play next year (best guess)

I'm far less optimistic now than I was a few months ago.

I really don't think Irsay will be able to keep him, and I'm starting to think that he might be done altogether.

Fortunately, if he is done, it's not like he has anything left to prove. Thank God for 06 or this would be even more tragic than it already is.

So I'm a bit more optimistic about this.

I voted Colts of course. If healthy, I believe he'll play 5 more years and I want it to be with a horseshoe on his helmet. Period!

The Titans, Redskins and Cardinals are missing alot of pieces still.

The Jets would put both Mannings in NY... how odd would that be?

The 49'ers need a quality play making WR, not another QB to win it all.

If he ends up on another team, right now I'd guess Dolphins. They have the D (15th overall, 6th in points allowed per game at 19.6). They have a really good O-line and some notable talent at the skill positions (Reggie Bush, Devone Bess, Anthony Fasano, Brandon Marshall) They need and want an elite QB. Enter Peyton Manning and quite possibly FA WR Reggie Wayne (Miami guy) plus the #9 pick in this years draft.

Dolphins 1-24-12: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8263fc6c/article/dolphins-reportedly-interested-in-peyton-manning-if-available

Dolphins 1-25-12: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264f7ba/article/ireland-fins-want-qb-who-can-put-his-team-on-his-shoulders

i changed mine, also...i had "other" originally meaning here or retire...but now i have voted for Indy... If Irsay is a man of his word, and he has stated openly that its a "medical decision" and he would have to hear what our team doctors have to say...well, after our own team doctor clearing him to PLAY (not just practice, big difference), and then the team doctor said "if he were my son, i would tell him to go out there and play ball!"...well, if Irsay is a man of his word, there isnt much wiggle room for him anymore!

Question for everyone, assuming that Peyton is healthy and ready to go as now expected:

Would you rather have 5 more good years of Peyton Manning as our starting QB or 10yrs of Andrew Luck as our starting QB?

(

Counting only quarterbacks who have played more than one full year (you'd be amazed at how many short-lived QBs there are), the average career length of an NFL quarterback is 6.6 years.)

So the "10yrs" estimate for Luck is very generous, actually.

anyhow, which would you rather have?

Would you rather have 5 more good years of Peyton Manning as our starting QB or 10yrs of Andrew Luck as our starting QB?

I have 2 answers, depending on how I make certain assumptions.

1) If I assume that PM can play to his pre-injury form for all 5 years without any projected age-related deterioration (he will be 41 at the end of 5 years), I would stick with PM as the starting QB for the team. And I would trade the #1 pick.

2) If I assume that PM cannot play to his pre-injury form and compound that with projected age-related deterioration, I would use the #1 pick and go with Luck as the starting QB for the team.

I have 2 answers, depending on how I make certain assumptions.

1) If I assume that PM can play to his pre-injury form for all 5 years without any projected age-related deterioration (he will be 41 at the end of 5 years), I would stick with PM as the starting QB for the team. And I would trade the #1 pick.

2) If I assume that PM cannot play to his pre-injury form and compound that with projected age-related deterioration, I would use the #1 pick and go with Luck as the starting QB for the team.

No, Peyton will only be 40 after 5 more seasons. He is currently 35 and will have his 36th birthday March 24th i believe...so by that, he will TURN 40 right before the 5th season.

Also, while a lot of QBs do show some age related decline in skills, some do not show as much...and make up for what decline in "skill" they have, by the experience and knowledge they have gained.

Brett Favre had one of the best seasons of his career (THE best statistic wise, by some accounts) when he was 40. Kurt Warner played very well until he retired at 38yrs old...its not "rare" for a talented QB to still play well at that age.

Its no guarantee that Peyton will play at a top level up until he's 40, but then again, its no guarantee that Luck will ever play at a top level. I wouldnt be surprised if Luck does...but then again, i would be surprised if Peyton does, either.

No, Peyton will only be 40 after 5 more seasons. He is currently 35 and will have his 36th birthday March 24th i believe...so by that, he will TURN 40 right before the 5th season.

Also, while a lot of QBs do show some age related decline in skills, some do not show as much...and make up for what decline in "skill" they have, by the experience and knowledge they have gained.

Brett Favre had one of the best seasons of his career (THE best statistic wise, by some accounts) when he was 40. Kurt Warner played very well until he retired at 38yrs old...its not "rare" for a talented QB to still play well at that age.

Yes, my mistake, PM will be 40 after the end of 5 more seasons.

And yes, Favre was productive when he was 40. However, Favre is an outlier and does not typify the average negative QB production to age correlation.

Its no guarantee that Peyton will play at a top level up until he's 40, but then again, its no guarantee that Luck will ever play at a top level. I wouldnt be surprised if Luck does...but then again, i would be surprised if Peyton does, either.

No, there are no guarantees about anything. However, Luck having no guarantees as a draft prospect is the same as Peyton having no guarantees as a draft prospect. Yet the Colts drafted him anyway.

Yes, my mistake, PM will be 40 after the end of 5 more seasons.

And yes, Favre was productive when he was 40. However, Favre is an outlier and does not typify the average negative QB production to age correlation.

No, there are no guarantees about anything. However, Luck having no guarantees as a draft prospect is the same as Peyton having no guarantees as a draft prospect. Yet the Colts drafted him anyway.

most of your "all time great" QBs performed at a high level until they were at or close to 40. Montana, Marino, Elway, Warner, Favre, Moon etc...even guys like Flutie, Testaverde etc didnt show much of a decline as they reached that age.

And when the Colts drafted Manning, they didnt already have Manning on the team and under contract as they do now while holding the rights to draft Andrew Luck

most of your "all time great" QBs performed at a high level until they were at or close to 40. Montana, Marino, Elway, Warner, Favre, Moon etc...even guys like Flutie, Testaverde etc didnt show much of a decline as they reached that age.

And when the Colts drafted Manning, they didnt already have Manning on the team and under contract as they do now while holding the rights to draft Andrew Luck

Here are some notable QBs that won SBs, I think for the most part, of those that have retired, most of them retired in their mid 30s, and after 13 years of pro football experience. The point is that PM is getting up there both in terms of age and pro football years.

1. Joe Namath - Super Bowl III- retired at age 34, after 12 years playing pro football

2. Bob Griese - Super Bowls VII and VIII - retired at age 35, after 13 years of pro football

3. Terry Bradshaw - Super Bowls IX, X, XII, and XIII - retired at age 36, after 13 years of pro football

4. Jim Plunkett - Super Bowls XV and XVIII- retired at age 39, after 15 years of pro football

5. Jim McMahon - Super Bowl XX- retired at age 37, after 14 years of pro football

6. Phil Simms - Super Bowl XXI- retired at age 39, after 14 years of pro football

7. Doug Williams - Super Bowl XXII - retired at age 34, after 11 years of pro football

8. Troy Aikman - Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX - retired at age 34, after 11 years of pro football

9. Steve Young - Super Bowl XXIX - retired at age 38, after 15 years of pro football

10. John Elway - Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII - retired at age 38, after 15 years of pro football

11. Trent Dilfer - Super Bowl XXXV - retired at age 35, after 13 years of pro football

12. Ben Roethlisberger - Super Bowl XL and XLIII - age 29, still playing with 8 years of pro football

13. Peyton Manning - Super Bowl XLI - age 35, still playing? with 13 years of pro football

14. Eli Manning - Super Bowl XLII- age 31, still playing with 7 years of pro football

15. Aaron Rodgers - Super Bowl XLV -age 28, still playing with 6 years of pro football

When the Colts decided to draft PM , they got rid of Jim Harbaugh first. At the time, Harbaugh was 34 years old with 10 years of pro football experience.

Here are some notable QBs that won SBs, I think for the most part, of those that have retired, most of them retired in their mid 30s, and after 13 years of pro football experience. The point is that PM is getting up there both in terms of age and pro football years.

1. Joe Namath - Super Bowl III- retired at age 34, after 12 years playing pro football

2. Bob Griese - Super Bowls VII and VIII - retired at age 35, after 13 years of pro football

3. Terry Bradshaw - Super Bowls IX, X, XII, and XIII - retired at age 36, after 13 years of pro football

4. Jim Plunkett - Super Bowls XV and XVIII- retired at age 39, after 15 years of pro football

5. Jim McMahon - Super Bowl XX- retired at age 37, after 14 years of pro football

6. Phil Simms - Super Bowl XXI- retired at age 39, after 14 years of pro football

7. Doug Williams - Super Bowl XXII - retired at age 34, after 11 years of pro football

8. Troy Aikman - Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX - retired at age 34, after 11 years of pro football

9. Steve Young - Super Bowl XXIX - retired at age 38, after 15 years of pro football

10. John Elway - Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII - retired at age 38, after 15 years of pro football

11. Trent Dilfer - Super Bowl XXXV - retired at age 35, after 13 years of pro football

12. Ben Roethlisberger - Super Bowl XL and XLIII - age 29, still playing with 8 years of pro football

13. Peyton Manning - Super Bowl XLI - age 35, still playing? with 13 years of pro football

14. Eli Manning - Super Bowl XLII- age 31, still playing with 7 years of pro football

15. Aaron Rodgers - Super Bowl XLV -age 28, still playing with 6 years of pro football

When the Colts decided to draft PM , they got rid of Jim Harbaugh first. At the time, Harbaugh was 34 years old with 10 years of pro football experience.

lots of 38-39 yr olds on that list.... and pardon me for pointing it out, but Jim Harbaugh wasnt considered the greatest of all time by ANYONE, either and was a free agent i believe

lots of 38-39 yr olds on that list.... and pardon me for pointing it out, but Jim Harbaugh wasnt considered the greatest of all time by ANYONE, either and was a free agent i believe

Yes, lots of 38-39 yr olds on that list. Also lots of 34-35 yr olds too.

As other posters have pointed out to me, there will always be another greatest of all time every year, just as there will always be another greatest QB prospect since [fill in the blank] in next year's draft. Also, PM can be a free agent too, if Irsay releases him before the March 8 option exercise date.

Cardinals.

Larry Fitzgerald Sr. @FitzBeatSr

Archie Manning &I were talking about our sons having dinner tonight.Manning thinks highly of my son as I do his.Who picks up the check???

In case anyone cares, the Cardinals forums are going nuts over Manning rumors of him going there.

the ages posted were retirement age not "SB winning age" ...

And one thing that list does point out is that the league IS going to a QB driven league.....

Luck is a must take ..... regardless of whether or not Manning returns.....

Cardinals.

Larry Fitzgerald Sr. @FitzBeatSr

Archie Manning &I were talking about our sons having dinner tonight.Manning thinks highly of my son as I do his.Who picks up the check???

In case anyone cares, the Cardinals forums are going nuts over Manning rumors of him going there.

I think Peyton will probably retire... but if he doesn't... Miami will be his destination.

On the "age" conversation, I consider playing style a key factor. A QB like Peyton... he's not a running QB, he's taken the fewest hits of any QB I can remeber, he gets rid of the ball quickly. he keeps his body in great condition. He is the definition of a pure pocket passer, To me, his skill set is the perfect skill set for longevity. The only question is will his desire fade. I believe, if he wants to, he can play 5 more years without batting an eye.