Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?


Recommended Posts

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5897

  • NFLfan

    2314

  • Jay Kirk

    2232

  • PrincetonTiger

    1855

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

It is Jackie Robinson Day today. It is the 70th Anniversary of when Jackie Robinson integrated baseball. A month or so later, Larry Doby integrated the AL, playing for the Cleveland Indians.  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

True and the Dodgers always manage to waste good regular seasons.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

 

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

 

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

Yep, anything could happen.  

National League is at a disadvantage in the World Series this season.   Just because pitchers won't have to hit in the NL parks.  The American league teams have their teams built for the DL and have signed players to fill the role.  Many National league teams are using bench players to fill the roles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy by that, just better case of getting through with no test. Plus makes the Dodgers lose that homefield advantage :)

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings going into September 16th:

Cubs 29-20

Cards 21-22 (5 back)

Reds 24-26 (5.5 back)

Brewers 22-25 (6 back)

Pirates 14-33 (14 back)

 

Cubs currently are tied with the 29-20 Braves for the 2nd seed in the NL. 11 games to go for the Cubs.

Cubs Play off magic number is 8 last time I saw, and Division we are now at 10

 

@HOZER

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

Yep unless something happens in SoCal for the AL games. The NL has no issues since both are roof stadiums. And it very much is you dont want a team to get wrecked during the playoffs due to the virus. Also they are hoping they can have fans for LCS and WS I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

EL Mago has just been...

Magic this past week, he seems to be sparking the whole team.

JHay hasn't been too bad either.

Pitching staff has picked it up...

I'm excited!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, but I expect an early exit unless they get their act together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

He has had a wrist injury for a little over a month now so Ross has kept him out of the lineup on certain nights. He did it diving for a ball a while back. I am not sure if it is back to 100% or not, some nights he plays, other nights he doesn't. Personally I don't think he's 100% but it is nothing he needs surgery on from what I have been hearing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

Highly unlikely for us to get a 1 seed, but outside of first round no real HFA. Hopefully we can get the 2 seed though and play the WC team over a #2 seed who I think would be our division. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

As 2006 said, he has had a wrist injury, but he also had a knee injury earlier this year. He is certainly not gonna be putting up his big number this year, but if he can stay healthy he can return. One issue too has been his walks is low and Ks high which is not his normal profile, hopefully it is a small fluke

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals are currently 9th in the NL. Just out of the playoffs. But have the Pirates and Royals coming up so they'll likely get back in. And we still have the Brewers a bunch coming up so they'll back into the playoffs. NL is really bad this year.

Reds have a tough schedule coming up and you guys are still ahead of the Brewers despite everything with Covid and double headers. I thought the Brewers would be a lot better in this shortened season but they have been average at best. I still say Cards squeak in lol and that is all that takes. Once you get in, it is a new season.

 

The playoffs are more important and winning the WS is ultimate goal but I am not going to lie, winning the division would be sweet. At least if we lose in the playoffs we will have that as Cubs fans. * or not, it still counts. During a pandemic I will take it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit it is looking great for the Cubs as far as winning the NL Central. Coming into today (September 18th) the standings look like this:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-24 (6 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 15-34 (14.5 back)

 

Cubs just have 10 games left, Reds only 9, Cards only 16, Brewers only 11. If the Cubs win the NL Central division it will be 3 in 5 seasons = 2016, 2017, and now in 2020. Hopefully this season can end like in 2016 with a WS Championship. The Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, only team that is playing better in the NL are the Dodgers. The Padres and Cubs are pretty even IMO but the Padres aren't playoff proven. Ross and the Cubs have handled this pandemic really well, just focused and staying healthy :thmup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

 

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

 

 

I am hoping they do bring him back as a 5th starter and basically set a contract at 13/14mil for a year. Since he has a 10mil buyout already, rip that up and give him a few million more since he can still mean a lot in the rotation as a backend

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • NFLfan changed the title to Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?
  • NFLfan unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • At this time of year, every year, all of us have created a draft board.  How we think the draft will fall out.  Most of us also have a selection of players from that draft board that are the ones they especially like.  These are My Guys. I would like to issue a challenge.  Go back through your records for every year, and find:  A - your best draft prospect, B - your worst draft prospect, C - any of your prospects the Colts took, D - a late round prospect of yours that blossomed.   I'll start out with mine:   2015 Best - Andrus Peat, T, Stanford (Saints #13 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (undrafted, went nowhere) Colts - Zack Hodges, OLB, Harvard (UFA, didn't stick) Late - Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana (Falcons #73) 2016 Best - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio St (Cowboys #4 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Su'a Cravens, S, USC Colts - Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama (Colts #18 overall) Late - Joe Schoebert, LB, Wisconsin (Browns #99, pro bowl) 2017 Best - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Texans #12, 3 pro bowls) Worst - tie John Ross, WR, Ohio St / Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama Colts - none Late - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (Chargers #71 overall) 2018 Best - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (#6 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Arden Key, DE, LSU Colts - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame Late - Kyzir White, S/LB, West Virginia 2019 Best - AJ Brown, WR, Mississippi Worst - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Colts - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple / Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St Late - Terry McLauren, WR, Ohio St 2020 Best - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma Worst - Denzell Mims, WR, Baylor / Calvin Throckmorton, T, Oregon Colts - none Late - too soon to call
    • I think the Rams over paid but it’s still a win win for both sides. If the Rams get back to the SB it will be worth it, even a couple NFC championship games would justify the trade...if they win a championship it will definitely be worth it.  Detroit now has the ammo to help build a playoff contender. They won’t bc it’s Detroit lol but it was still a good trade by them. One of the few QB trades you see where both teams will probably come out ahead.    When I compare it to the Wentz trade, Ballard took the Eagles to the cleaners and got the better of the two QBs they had. Interested to see what Sirriani can do with Hurts.  That kid seems to be a class act. The way he handled being replaced by Tua was professional in every way.  I remember the reporter asking him 3min after the championship game vs Georgia ended how he felt being replaced and seeing Tua go out there and bring the team back.  I thought it was slimy to ask that question at that moment(should have waited until the press conference and let the kid celebrate with his team) and Hurts handled it with class. Stayed for another year, came in and I believe won the SEC championship for Bama then transferred after he graduated. I’m rooting for the guy and feel for him bc the Philly press and fans can be a bit harsh to say the least lol. 
    • At this point I wouldn't mind that. Seems like a good realistic scenario. Although... maybe Turner has moved up with his testing? 
    • Larnel Coleman OT UMASS   http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1024887&DraftYear=2021   Josh Ball OT Marshall   https://www.profootballnetwork.com/josh-ball-nfl-draft-player-profile-marshall-offensive-tackle/  
  • Members

    • MPStack

      MPStack 3,415

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shadow_Creek

      Shadow_Creek 704

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SOMDColtsfan

      SOMDColtsfan 106

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 432

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,667

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Painterman

      Painterman 5

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 48

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 6,618

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 67

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 308

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...