Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm with you.   Carpenter hasn't been an asset.  In fact many Cards haven't been very good. 

Batting averages:

Carpenter - .178

O'Neil - .183

Bader - .224

Carlson - .162

Thomas - .130

Wieters - .059

 

3 of these guys have been in the lineup every game.    

 

Pathetic!  I see they sent Carlson down to help make room for C-Mart who is back from the COVID list.  He didn't pitch well and I'm not sure he will ever approach the level he once was as a starter.  Maybe he works in a long relief role, maybe not.

 

Going to need to make some decisions on this roster in the off season, for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5902

  • NFLfan

    2317

  • Jay Kirk

    2232

  • PrincetonTiger

    1857

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

I just got an anonymous call on my phone which I usually don't answer when I don't see a number I recognize. I answered it and the person said SOX and hung up.  I have no clue who it was  

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

 

Pathetic!  I see they sent Carlson down to help make room for C-Mart who is back from the COVID list.  He didn't pitch well and I'm not sure he will ever approach the level he once was as a starter.  Maybe he works in a long relief role, maybe not.

 

Going to need to make some decisions on this roster in the off season, for sure.

Martinez still has shoulder issues. He didn't have surgery when it happened and it's still lingering around. Don't know why he never had the surgery. He seems to be a headcase anymore. Always more worried about what his hair is gonna look like next. I think his best days are behind him unfortunately. 

 

Kinda wish we would have gotten Lynn back at the deadline but he's come back to earth since then. Cardinals need to do something this offseason about the offense. Too many guys not hitting. Bader and O'Neill aren't hitting. Carlson is still up in the air. Haven't seen enough of Thomas to decide. Fowler is having a bounce back year but he's a free agent coming up after 2021 I believe. Carpenter is signed through 2021 but has an option for 2022. Cardinals have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years. Gonna be interesting to see what they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Martinez still has shoulder issues. He didn't have surgery when it happened and it's still lingering around. Don't know why he never had the surgery. He seems to be a headcase anymore. Always more worried about what his hair is gonna look like next. I think his best days are behind him unfortunately. 

 

Kinda wish we would have gotten Lynn back at the deadline but he's come back to earth since then. Cardinals need to do something this offseason about the offense. Too many guys not hitting. Bader and O'Neill aren't hitting. Carlson is still up in the air. Haven't seen enough of Thomas to decide. Fowler is having a bounce back year but he's a free agent coming up after 2021 I believe. Carpenter is signed through 2021 but has an option for 2022. Cardinals have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years. Gonna be interesting to see what they do.

Agree on Martinez...regressing and he is a head case.  When it's on straight, he can be dominant, but that's not happening much and why he didn't elect for surgery is a mystery.

 

Yes, lots of questions and not enough bats on the roster.  I know they should still look at the young guys...Memphis has had lots of success the past few seasons and it would seem some of those guys should be able to make the jump to St. Louis and bring some help.  Next season may be a wash and then they can overhaul for 2022 once all that money comes off the  books and the roster has some openings.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Agree on Martinez...regressing and he is a head case.  When it's on straight, he can be dominant, but that's not happening much and why he didn't elect for surgery is a mystery.

 

Yes, lots of questions and not enough bats on the roster.  I know they should still look at the young guys...Memphis has had lots of success the past few seasons and it would seem some of those guys should be able to make the jump to St. Louis and bring some help.  Next season may be a wash and then they can overhaul for 2022 once all that money comes off the  books and the roster has some openings.

Right now, they only have $38M on the books for 2022. They have $84M for 2021 but that doesn't count what they'll pay some guys in arbitration. Molina, Wainwright, Wong, and Wieters are up after this year. Wong has a club option so he'll be back. I assume Yadi and Wainwright will be back as well. I'm hoping they don't give Yadi another $20M per. Not worth that anymore. They'll let Wieters go and Knizner will take over the backup role. After 2021, Andrew Miller, Dexter Fowler, CMart, and Wong (assuming he doesn't get an extension) will be gone. Those 4 guys account for $58M. That's quite a bit off the books. Another $18.5M the next year after Carpenter is gone. They have almost nothing on the books after 2021. So something is gonna change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 8-5, fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central Standings going into September 11th:

Cubs 26-19 - just 15 games left

Cards 19-18 (3 back)

Brewers 19-22 (5 back)

Reds 19-25 (6.5 back)

You are up late tonight. LOL

Good to see the team score some runs!  Bullpen hold up!

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals and Reds this weekend and then a bunch against the Brewers. I'm gonna get tired of seeing the Brewers. 

 

And my A's are up 6.5 on the Astros. Oakland just took 4 of 5 from Houston. Oakland is currently the 1 seed in the AL. Got the Rangers this weekend who are reeling.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am off tomorrow so I can sleep in. This was a nice win after being down 3-0. Much needed because the Cards are still hanging around.

I figured you and @HOZER would've missed the game since it was ending after midnight my time (CST) and one your guys

2 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals and Reds this weekend and then a bunch against the Brewers. I'm gonna get tired of seeing the Brewers. 

 

And my A's are up 6.5 on the Astros. Oakland just took 4 of 5 from Houston. Oakland is currently the 1 seed in the AL. Got the Rangers this weekend who are reeling.

 

 

I am always tired of seeing the Brewers no matter when

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals offense didn't show up last night. Castillo got his first complete game. Cardinals were no match for him. Cardinals only got 2 hits. Loooooooooong night.

I am very concerned about the Cubs offense as well. Baez and Bryant continue to struggle. We wasted a great outing by Lester last night. Couldn't even muster up 1 run.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am very concerned about the Cubs offense as well. Baez and Bryant continue to struggle. We wasted a great outing by Lester last night. Couldn't even muster up 1 run.

Offense is concerning, but that stikezone was atrocious, even gameday had one pitch as a ball (as in green) but the ump called it a strike. Like how bad is that by an ump that the MLB says it is a ball. 

 

But positive is that Lester looked good and made adjustment, you hope he can continue with that. Kimbrel also looked good

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

WOW

Nice come back in the 9th!

Kimbrel gets the save!

 

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

 

(was just about to come on here whining) lmao

I stopped after Braun HR. I felt like dont watch maybe change their fortune tonight. Plus Braun suuckkkks and is cheating PED user who won an MVP cuz of it. 

 

It is nice to see J-Hey hit a HR and just a day after I got his nice Blue Jersey. :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Alec Mills throws a NO NO, 9inning shutout. 16th in Cubs history!

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

WOW

It was also one day short of being 12 years to the day Big Z through a no-hitter against the Astros at Miller Park. 

 

It was good to see one win, for my teams today. Hopefully he doesnt have a fall off like some pitchers who have that big No-Hitter moment, but were not great beforehand. Hopefully he stays well and just continues to keep his control.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

NL Central standings as of September 13th:

 

Cubs 28-20

Cards 20-20 (4 back)

Brewers 20-24 (6 back)

Reds 21-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-30 (12 back)

 

-As the old Lakers announcer Chick Hearn used to say, the division is in the refrigerator, eggs are cooling, the lights are out, and the jello is jiggling. This puppy is about history baby :thmup:

 

Cubs clinched a playoff spot today as well. ESPN is showing they are 100% in. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs 12 Brewers 0. Alec Mills with a no hitter. Hozer already flew the flag haha .

:lol: that was for the night before, but we can count it for yesterday as well!!!! Man I was not expecting a no no from Mills! Awesome! Takes a little bit of the sting out of  getting beat by the jags:wall: Oh well. 
 

Playoffs here we come!

 

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings as of September 13th:

 

Cubs 28-20

Cards 20-20 (4 back)

Brewers 20-24 (6 back)

Reds 21-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-30 (12 back)

 

-As the old Lakers announcer Chick Hearn used to say, the division is in the refrigerator, eggs are cooling, the lights are out, and the jello is jiggling. This puppy is about history baby :thmup:

 

Cubs clinched a playoff spot today as well. ESPN is showing they are 100% in. 

I didnt think we clinched, I think we are just projected to make at 100% just since it would take an insane scenario to not. It is a highly unlikely scenario.

 

And plus side Brewers and Cards play 5 this week I think and 5 next? So gotta root for a split and that will really help us

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • NFLfan changed the title to Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?
  • NFLfan unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Those three PLUS wide receiver!   Those Big 4 match our four biggest needs. 
    • *Colts re-sign Justin Houston- This may be after the draft but as of now I think he is the best chance to help our pass rush not take a step back unless we want to try Ingram or Clowney.   **I still have hope Ertz could end up available but if not oh well.   Here we go... yep. No trades.   1. Sam Cosmi- LT- The time to replace AC is now. This may not technically be the best valued player available but he's not far off. If we wait until 54 I think there will have been a run on the best remaining OTs. Take a quality athletic LT at 21 and keep the o-line in great shape. Next year we are likely without a 1st, there may not be a better time. We could trade back but that's hard to predict. We would need a great deal to pass on our pick of the litter imo.    2.  Ifeatu Melifonwu- CB- Great fit. Tall, athletic, excels in zone. Not quite as big a need as DE but not far behind. Rhodes only has one year for now and I, like others, would like to see an upgrade over RYS.   4. Elerson Smith- DE- With the need at LT and the lack of value in round two we opt to dig for athletic upside for our pass rush addition. We come up with Smith. He's a bit of a forum favorite and I get why. We can't confidently fix every issue this year imo, but if you can't, at least find some upside.   5. Dazz Newsome‐ WR- We may very well pass up a lot of good value at WR this draft but the good news is some solid prospects are likely to fall into the later rounds. An explosive prospect who can compete with Campbell to replace Hilton as our little guy speedster. Lol   6. Quentin Morris- TE- One of my favorite late round prospects. With this being an average to below average TE class after Pitts, Morris offers some upside to provide us with a move TE down the line.   7. Franklin McCain III- CB- Borrowing again from a pool of forum recommendations. You can't realistically expect late round guys to all be hits but I'm down for investing those final picks in depth we can groom.   Final notes:   - Cosmi and Melifonwu are my favorite no trade 1-2 realistic punch. Value and need matches pretty nicely imo.   -I've seen Newsome graded as a 2nd rounder but most have him at rounds 4-5. He also ran a 4.38 so I might be a bit optimistic about his availability   -I could always do another mock but I don't see my view changing much from now until the 29th.
    • It’s the University of Michigan for goodness sake!    It would be a bigger deal if Dodds wasn’t there!   
    • I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on this topic from more of an outside perspective. From my experience Steelers fans fall into two camps (generally speaking); totally irrational and loyal to the death, highly critical of anything to do with Pittsburgh Football unless it results in a championship (and not always in a rational manner).     Now for my thinking, this issue should have been addressed much sooner, but if nothing else after the disaster that was the 2019 season. You have an aging QB who just blew his elbow out and were starting "junior varsity" replacements. You have been bleeding free agents all off season in 2020 and have lost or watched the decline of key players at LT, C, LB, RB, S, CB and just resigned a WR free agent. Plus, you also need a LG. These stooges are actually suggesting using a 2nd round pick on a QB from college when the decision to do nothing about the QB position has caused half the team to get sent packing because you have next to nothing to spend in free agency.   This is after these same people lauded the Dwayne Haskins singing as a "steal". Pittsburgh literally got him for nothing this year after WFT ate all the "bad" in his contract, a 15th overall pick coming into his 3rd year in the NFL who drastically needed a change of scenery.   I'm convinced that if it was up to Tomlin he would have already moved on. We all know he's a master at coach speak at the podium but he's a completely different guy otherwise. Even at that, he's started to unravel a bit because you can tell he's getting frustrated with some of his more recent public comments. He is no BSer. I get the warm fuzzy feeling we all have when a team is loyal to a player who has been valuable and produced at a high level, but I mean even New England and Indianapolis let Manning and Brady walk after all of their success.   Please tell me in what universe does any of this even make sense? I am confused.
    • Gonna be on vacation next week. Sorry
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...