Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and since I had morning classes, I could go home and watch Cubs games in the afternoon since Wrigley didn't get lights until 1988.

I really enjoyed those teams...Sandberg, Jodie Davis, Leon Durham, etc.  The best part was listening to Harry Caray call the games...he was one of a kind and made watching so much fun.

In April 1983, me and a couple of friends made a road trip from southern Kentucky (Bowling Green) to Chicago to attend a Cubs game.  It was my first trip to Wrigley.  We left late Saturday night and drove all night to arrive in Chicago Sunday morning for the game that afternoon against the Giants.

We got into the ballpark to watch batting practice and it was a cold and windy day...surprise, right?  Our tickets were in the lower level a few rows up from the third base dugout.  I look down and see Harry Caray on the field behind the batting cage talking to players and coaches.  He makes his way to the gate in the brick wall near the end of the dugout to walk up the steps through the lower level to get up to the press box.

So, my friends and I walk over and I hand my camera to a friend and I block the aisle so Harry will have to stop.  I ask if I can get a picture and autograph and he gladly obliged and threw his arm around my shoulder and I got the priceless photo with him.

I also followed the Cardinals since their AAA team was in Louisville, KY, near where I grew up and lived in southern Indiana.  I went to a lot of Redbirds games and saw many future Cardinals come up through Louisville on the way to St. Louis...Van Slyke, Coleman, MgGee, Zeile, the Benes brothers, Langford and many others. 

I eventually became a full-time Cardinals fan once Harry Caray retired and watching Cubs games just wasn't the same as it was with him doing the broadcasts.

Thought you all would enjoy this story.

1511068_263716757115515_895447722_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and since I had morning classes, I could go home and watch Cubs games in the afternoon since Wrigley didn't get lights until 1988.

I really enjoyed those teams...Sandberg, Jodie Davis, Leon Durham, etc.  The best part was listening to Harry Caray call the games...he was one of a kind and made watching so much fun.

In April 1983, me and a couple of friends made a road trip from southern Kentucky (Bowling Green) to Chicago to attend a Cubs game.  It was my first trip to Wrigley.  We left late Saturday night and drove all night to arrive in Chicago Sunday morning for the game that afternoon against the Giants.

We got into the ballpark to watch batting practice and it was a cold and windy day...surprise, right?  Our tickets were in the lower level a few rows up from the third base dugout.  I look down and see Harry Caray on the field behind the batting cage talking to players and coaches.  He makes his way to the gate in the brick wall near the end of the dugout to walk up the steps through the lower level to get up to the press box.

So, my friends and I walk over and I hand my camera to a friend and I block the aisle so Harry will have to stop.  I ask if I can get a picture and autograph and he gladly obliged and threw his arm around my shoulder and I got the priceless photo with him.

I also followed the Cardinals since their AAA team was in Louisville, KY, near where I grew up and lived in southern Indiana.  I went to a lot of Redbirds games and saw many future Cardinals come up through Louisville on the way to St. Louis...Van Slyke, Coleman, MgGee, Zeile, the Benes brothers, Langford and many others. 

I eventually became a full-time Cardinals fan once Harry Caray retired and watching Cubs games just wasn't the same as it was with him doing the broadcasts.

Great story! That pic with Harry Caray is priceless!!!! I’ve made some great memories at Wrigley and Wrigleyville over the years, can’t wait to go back.

7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

That is how I became a Cub fan as well. I got cable tv in 1984 and the Cubs were always on WGN with Harry calling games and I got addicted. The 1984 team was great too (fun year) and should've been in the WS but blew a 2-0 nothing lead in the NLCS. I loved Ryne Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe. In 1987 the Cubs were mediocre but Andre Dawson won NL MVP and once again the Cubs were fun to watch. I just stayed a fan since then even through the lean years and there have been many. Finally in 2015 the Cubs became a powerhouse and have been since then winning a WS in 2016. Off year last year but 84-78 was still a winning season. So far this season, the Cubs look great again.

8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@2006Coltsbestever I became one just due to proximity and the fact the Peoria Chiefs, where I am still living, were the Cubs affiliate at the time I started watching baseball like 12 years ago. If not for that IDK who I would be. I am going to be living in STL though in a couple months time though

Around here when I was a kid it was either the Cubs or Reds because Indy didn't have a team. I chose the Cubs.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Around here when I was a kid it was either the Cubs or Reds because Indy didn't have a team. I chose the Cubs.

I think if I had stayed in IN when I was beginning to watch baseball it would have been between Reds, Cubs, and Pirates since triple A. But by the time I was 10 I had moved. 

When I am in STL next year I will probably try to attend as many of the Cubs/Cards series as possible since there are 10 games and I'm 15 minutes from Busch at that point

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Pirates since triple A.

We(Indianapolis Indians) used to be AAA team of the:

Expos 1984-1992

Reds 1968-1983, 1993-1999 and a bunch of other years

Brewers 2000- 2004

Pirates 2005-current, 1948-1951

White Sox 1957-1959, 1962-1967

Phillies 1960

Indians 1952-1956

Boston Braves 1946-1947

Not sute of your time frame, bit from sounds of it, Im guessing 2005-current

My first Indians days we were Expos affiliate 

Indianapolis Indians have a very rich history, some of the names to pass through are great.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same for me, except cubs part. I loved Donny baseball. So Yankees fan it was 

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

A lot of people love the Yankees because of their history and they win a lot so I don't blame you. I like the Lakers but the Pacers are my #1 but the Lakers in the 80's gave me joy, I loved Magic and their winning, Winning is fun haha . I have always been a diehard Pacers fan though and Cubs, Colts fan.

20 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. 

You must be around my age or maybe older. I don't believe I know Durham and Jodie Davis, but Van Slyke, McGee, Ziele, Benes, Coleman, etc are all guys I am very familiar with. The person who got me interested in baseball was a Cardinals fan. That was in the days of Ozzie Smith, Worrell, Daley, Jose DeLeon, Oquendo, Peña, Guerrero, McGee, etc. (Late 1980's)

You mentioned Lankford. He played with Bernard Gilkey. I met Gilkey when he was a Met. This was at Spring Training in Florida. Back then, it was a lot easier to engage with players. I met many Mets players from 1996 through 1999 at Spring Training. I also met players on teams that the Mets played in Spring Training like Cal Ripken and Brady Anderson. It was great. 

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@2006Coltsbestever I became one just due to proximity and the fact the Peoria Chiefs, where I am still living, were the Cubs affiliate at the time I started watching baseball like 12 years ago. If not for that IDK who I would be. I am going to be living in STL though in a couple months time though

You have been a fan since you were a kid? I recall when you were posting here and you said you were in high school. I believe you were going to go to college. Did you finish? Time flies by. Enjoy your youth. 

I remember you're saying that you were from Indiana but would be moving (or had already moved) to Illinois. Now that you are moving to St. Louis, are you going to continue as a Cubs fan? 

All the best in your move.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

There are some Yankees fans here but they don't post comments in this thread. You should become friendly with Coltsfansince65. He is a loyal Yankees fan. How did you become a Yankees fan? 

I became a Mets fan as a teen around the time that they won their last World Series. I have been a fan since. I recall my young nephew in October or November of 2000 telling me that I should become a Yankees fan because the Mets lost to the Yankees in the World Series. I replied, "No way. I'm a Mets fan!" I taught him a lesson in loyalty. :)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

There are some Yankees fans here but they don't post comments in this thread. You should give a shout out to Coltsfansince65. He is a loyal Yankees fan. How did you become a Yankees fan? 

I became a Mets fan as a teen around when they won their last World Series. I have been a fan since. I recall my young nephew in October or November of 2000 telling me that I should become a Yankees fan because the Mets lost to the Yankees in the World Series. I replied, "No way. I'm a Mets fan!" I thought him a lesson in loyalty. :)

You know Dwight Gooden is best pitcher ever in his prime, quit gloating haha . I am just joking with you but he was unreal and so was the 1986 Mets.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I believe the Cubs can beat any team in baseball right now. They haven't looked this great since 2016. The bullpen still has me concerned, no Chap anymore.

Funny thing is, as long as the bats are connecting and your starters are firing, you almost don't need someone of his caliber except for a game here or there. 

If this season continues, I think the Cubbies have a really good chance this year. I'd love to see them smack around the Yankees!

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You know Dwight Gooden is best pitcher ever in his prime, quit gloating haha . I am just joking with you but he was unreal and so was the 1986 Mets.

Besides Gooden, Strawberry, Carter, and Hernandez, the Mets did not have star players. Dykstra, Backman, McReynolds, Sid, Mookie, Knight, etc were all average to above average players. Bobby Ojeda actually won the most games and had the best ERA that year.

Loved Bobby O. I recall when he and two Indians teammates went on that boat trip. The two teammates died and he survived. I think one was called Tim Crews. I forgot the other. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Funny thing is, as long as the bats are connecting and your starters are firing, you almost don't need someone of his caliber except for a game here or there. 

If this season continues, I think the Cubbies have a really good chance this year. I'd love to see them smack around the Yankees!

I think right now the Yankees are the only team I fear. Of course they have Chap lmao . That team is loaded though. Cubs are so strong mentally with players like Rizzo, MVP(KB), Baez, and the pitching is strong so far that I think we could take the Yankees out. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Besides Jacob deGrom, the 2020 Mets are awful. :scorebad:

I do like the new manager. He thinks outside the box and does not kowtow to players like Cespedes.

Time to get ready for work. Have a great day, folks. Hope all is going well with the school, @RollerColt. Stay safe.

You will always have me because I rank the 1986 Mets as the 2nd greatest team ever I have seen and the 2016 Cubs 3rd sad homer simpson GIF, 1998 Yankees are #1 YUCK haha 

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How did you become a Yankees fan? 

My uncle gave me a Don Mattingly plaque and since then.

Really had nothing to do with winning so much,  but they definitely do their share of it.

happy seann william scott GIF

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Besides Jacob deGrom, the 2020 Mets are awful. :scorebad:

I do like the new manager. He thinks outside the box and does not kowtow to players like Cespedes.

Time to get ready for work. Have a great day, folks. Hope all is going well with the school, @RollerColt. Stay safe.

It's going! I've got my N95 on, the windows open and socially distanced from the kiddos. We're in orientation mode for this week. The real stuff starts next week! 

My all-time rankings since I have been watching:

1. 1998 Yankees = Gold Medal

2. 1986 Mets = Silver Medal

3. 2016 Cubs = Bronze Medal

I know the Cards have more Titles than the Cubs but the 2016 Cubs could beat any of the Cards teams that won it all, I would be confident that the 2016 Cubs would smash the 2006 or 2011 Cards. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. 

You must be around my age or maybe older. I don't believe I know Durham and Jodie Davis, but Van Slyke, McGee, Ziele, Benes, Coleman, etc are all guys I am very familiar with. The person who got me interested in baseball was a Cardinals fan. That was in the days of Ozzie Smith, Worrell, Daley, Jose DeLeon, Oquendo, Peña, Guerrero, McGee, etc. (Late 1980's)

You mentioned Lankford. He played with Bernard Gilkey. I met Gilkey when he was a Met. This was at Spring Training in Florida. Back then, it was a lot easier to engage with players. I met many Mets players from 1996 through 1999 at Spring Training. I also met players on teams that the Mets played in Spring Training like Cal Ripken and Brady Anderson. It was great. 

I am 60.  Jodie Davis and Leon Durham played for the Cubs when I watched their games.

Yes, Bernard Gilkey also played in Louisville before going to St. Louis.  There were several others who came through Louisville on the way to St. Louis, but those I listed are some of the more familiar names.

Living near or in a minor league city that has a AAA team (Louisville, KY) is great because it's the last step before the majors.  Louisville became the Reds AAA affiliate several years ago and it made sense because Cincinnati is only about 100 up the interstate.  I've seen Joey Votto, Adam Dunn, Nick Senzel, Homer Bailey, Deion Sanders and many others come through Louisville before making it to the Reds roster.

I love minor league baseball, because you can always see a guy on the rise and later say you saw them before they became famous!

14 hours ago, w87r said:

We(Indianapolis Indians) used to be AAA team of the:

Expos 1984-1992

Reds 1968-1983, 1993-1999 and a bunch of other years

Brewers 2000- 2004

Pirates 2005-current, 1948-1951

White Sox 1957-1959, 1962-1967

Phillies 1960

Indians 1952-1956

Boston Braves 1946-1947

Not sute of your time frame, bit from sounds of it, Im guessing 2005

You'd be correct, I think first Pro game I went to was in 2005 season I believe at like 7 years old. I then moved in 2007 and went to a lot of Peoria Chiefs games who were the Cubs Affiliate with my first MLB game being Cubs/Pirates at Wrigley in 2013

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You have been a fan since you were a kid? I recall when you were posting here and you said you were in high school. I believe you were going to go to college. Did you finish? Time flies by. Enjoy your youth. 

I remember you're saying that you were from Indiana but would be moving (or had already moved) to Illinois. Now that you are moving to St. Louis, are you going to continue as a Cubs fan? 

All the best in your move.

Yep, the first season I started watching MLB was 2007 then more in 2008, and catching games for the next few years until like 2012/13 when I started watching as often as I could. I started posting in the forum probably my Jr. year of HS which is 14/15 then attended CC in 2016/17, then a 4-year from 17-20 in which I got both my Bachelors and this last May my Masters. 

Yep, I was born in IN, moved to IL at 9 (2007), then went to College in Missouri from 17-20. Now I will be moving to STL on Oct. 16 to start my Audit Career. I will always be a Cubs fan, unless something substantial happens that changes the view (not losing, but something morally wrong) I will end up going to as many Cubs/Cards game in STL as I can. 

Thank you

Archived