Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

That is $35 million a year. Wow!

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Nats just re-signed Stephen Strasburg to a 7 year/245 million dollar contract. So he remains a Nat.

Now just wait till Cole signs as he will have a bigger deal than Strasburg. I am seeing reports that they expect it to be more than 300 million. Rendon also unlikely to go back to Nats now

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!  Been gone a bit due to work schedule.  It's Hot Stove and Winter Meetings time!!!

My Cardinals have done zilch and I don't expect them to do much this off season.  They'll bank on comeback years by a couple of guys and figure that's good enough.  No Ozuna or Goldschmidt type action this off season like the past 2 years.  They have too many bad contracts they have to carry another year or two.

On an unrelated note - love the Padres in brown again!  The new Brewers uniforms are nice, too.  Meh, on the Rangers new duds.

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Hey everyone!  Been gone a bit due to work schedule.  It's Hot Stove and Winter Meetings time!!!

My Cardinals have done zilch and I don't expect them to do much this off season.  They'll bank on comeback years by a couple of guys and figure that's good enough.  No Ozuna or Goldschmidt type action this off season like the past 2 years.  They have too many bad contracts they have to carry another year or two.

On an unrelated note - love the Padres in brown again!  The new Brewers uniforms are nice, too.  Meh, on the Rangers new duds.

Welcome back! The Mets have not done much either except lose Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. I'm not a big fan of high-priced free agents; so, I am ok with not acquiring top free agents. Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

I would like to see the uniforms that you are referring to. Do you have a link to an article? I will try to find one. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Welcome back! The Mets have not done much either except lose Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. I'm not a big fan of high-priced free agents; so, I am ok with not acquiring top free agents. Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

I would like to see the uniforms that you are referring to. Do you have a link to an article? I will try to find one. 

Cubs have done something. They said bye to Cole Hamels.

20 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Yeah not much action from the Cardinals.   They may even lose Ozuna.  I think they offered him a contract and he said he will test the waters.   I hope he comes back.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yeah not much action from the Cardinals.   They may even lose Ozuna.  I think they offered him a contract and he said he will test the waters.   I hope he comes back.  

Right, he turned down the qualifying offer.  He could still sign with St. Louis, but he wants much more than he's worth.

17 hours ago, NFLfan said:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/12/04/texas-rangers-go-powder-blue-unveil-five-new-uniforms/

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/18/glove-love-brewers-unveil-new-logos-and-uniforms/

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/09/padres-are-back-in-brown-unveil-new-uniforms-and-logos/

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Right, he turned down the qualifying offer.  He could still sign with St. Louis, but he wants much more than he's worth.

I agree.   He played real well the last half of last season.  We certainly don't have someone to replace him with.  

38 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Who do most of you Colts fans follow? Since Indiana doesn't have a MLB team.

I follow the 76ers in the NBA and Rockies in the MLB.

I am a huge Cubs fan, have been since the 1984 season. Most people that live in Indy are usually either a Cubs or Reds fan. Some are Cards fans too. It is a midwest thing is my guess. The Cubs were really good in 1984 and always on TV here locally back then. As a 12 year old I just became a fan listening to Harry Caray and I liked Ryne Sandberg. I have had a lot misery over the years but 2016 made it worth while finally winning it all. I will always be grateful to guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, and Chapman. I waited 32 years as a fan for that championship :thmup:.

Others in here:

Jay is a Cards fan

Hozer is a Cubs fan

Barry is a Cards fan

Myles is a Cards fan

NFLfan is a Mets fan

Princeton is a Cubs fan

Punters are People is a Cubs fan

Hippie is a Reds fan

Buccolts is a Pirates fan

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a huge Cubs fan, have been since the 1984 season. Most people that live in Indy are usually either a Cubs or Reds fan. Some are Cards fans too. It is a midwest thing is my guess. The Cubs were really good in 1984 and always on TV here locally back then. As a 12 year old I just became a fan listening to Harry Caray and I liked Ryne Sandberg. I have had a lot misery over the years but 2016 made it worth while finally winning it all. I will always be grateful to guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, and Chapman. I waited 32 years as a fan for that championship :thmup:.

Others in here:

Jay is a Cards fan

Hozer is a Cubs fan

Barry is a Cards fan

Myles is a Cards fan

NFLfan is a Mets fan

Princeton is a Cubs fan

Punters are People is a Cubs fan

Hippie is a Reds fan

Buccolts is a Pirates fan

and of course NorthernBlue is a Nats fan

57 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Who do most of you Colts fans follow? Since Indiana doesn't have a MLB team.

I follow the 76ers in the NBA and Rockies in the MLB.

Welcome! Do join us for some baseball talk. Any Rockies moves? Hot Stove Baseball news? 

As 2006CBE mentioned, most fans here are Cubs, Reds, and Cards fans. There are several Yankees fans but they rarely post comments here. We have also had fans of the White Sox, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves, and Indians. 

We look forward to having you join us. 

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Has anyone been to Minute Maid, Marlins Park, Tropicana, Dodgers Stadium, Angels Stadium, Petco, Oracle Park, Oakland Coliseum, or Target Field? Any opinions 

Sorry, I have not been to any of them.

Which stadium would you recommend I see first, the one where the SF Giants play, where the Pirates play, or Camden Yards? I probably should go to Fenway next year.

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sorry, I have not been to any of them.

Which stadium would you recommend I see first, the one where the SF Giants play, where the Pirates play, or Camden Yards? I probably should go to Fenway next year.

I actually haven't been to any of those ones except Fenway which I found great with atmosphere and just how it felt walking around the ballpark and way they had it set up

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, NFLfan said:

Welcome! Do join us for some baseball talk. Any Rockies moves? Hot Stove Baseball news? 

As 2006CBE mentioned, most fans here are Cubs, Reds, and Cards fans. There are several Yankees fans but they rarely post comments here. We have also had fans of the White Sox, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves, and Indians. 

We look forward to having you join us. 

Nothing so far... resigned Oberg and the ridiculous Arenado rumours floating around that would ruin me lol.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Breaking news:

Bumgarner to D-Backs for 5 years/89 Million. Rangers trade with Indians and get Kluber. Big blow to the Indians.

I'm all for both of these deals if it means the Dodgers don't get either of them!!

Rangers are making a lot of noise this off-season...they want that first season in the new ballpark to be something special.  They just play in such a tough division, it will be hard to finish first or second...but I credit them for trying.

Cardinals sign a South Korean pitcher and the Rays sign a Japanese OF/3B/1B.

For fun I was studying the teams over the last 20 seasons (2000-2019 seasons). The players they had, managers they had, statistics, and wins and losses, etc..  Over the last 20 seasons if I was to treat the MLB like a college football playoff, my final 4 came out to be:

1. 2018 Boston Red Sox (108-54) - Porcello, Price, Sale, Kimbrel, Betts, Martinez, Bogaerts, Cora as manager.

2. 2016 Chicago Cubs (103-58) - Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, Chapman, Maddon as manager.

3. 2009 NY Yankees (103-59) - Jeter, Tiexeira, Cano, ARod, Sabathia, Pettitte, Rivera, Girardi as manager.

4. 2012 SF Giants (94-68) - won 2 WS Titles in 3 years with Bumgarner at that point. This was their best team IMO. Buster Posey was a monster that season as well. Melky Cabrera was too. Bochy as manager.

-1st round would be 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in a 5 game series. The finals would be a 7 game series. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts on the trade? I think Jay Kirk was a fan of Martinez. 

Cardinals had a very crowded outfield, so this frees up a couple of spots.  Martinez has a good bat and is better suited for the AL.  He can DH in Tampa and platoon a bit at 1B and OF.

The lefty pitcher they got from Tampa is a top prospect, but a couple of years away from the majors.

I'm reading that this was a deal done to add a trade chip for St. Louis if they will pursue a deal to get Arenado from Colorado.  They would have to send some major league talent and prospects to Colorado, so this lefty wold maybe sweeten the pot a bit.

I don't really expect the Cardinals to get Arenado, but would love it if they did!

Check out this crazy story.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/in-bizarre-lawsuit-yankees-failed-prospect-says-derek-jeter-ruined-his-career.html

In a rambling, conspiracy-laced lawsuit, a failed prospect, who never played above High-A and had a career batting average of .244, sued the Yankees for $34 million and blamed Yankees legend Derek Jeter for derailing his career as a shortstop, presumably because the soon-to-be Hall of Famer was afraid of the competition.

It was a wild swing and a miss.

In the lawsuit, dismissed by a judge in May, Garrison Lassiter used letters, newspaper clippings and scouting reports to weave a strange tale of conspiracy that he said was launched against him “to protect the career of Derek Jeter.” He alleged that it was “blantanly (sic) obvious” that Jeter controlled the Yankees organization, and he insisted Yankees employees libeled and slandered him to other teams, preventing him from reaching the major leagues.

The reason? “To protect the career of Derek Jeter.”

Lassiter, who acted as his own attorney after putting himself through law school, said he is broke and has had to sleep in his car, having gone through the $675,000 signing bonus the Yankees gave him in 2008. According to the lawsuit, Lassiter, now 30, sued the Yankees because he wanted to get what he deserved “for the interference and lost years” of his pro career.

The story adds that he also sued the Reds and Ricky Proehl, the former NFL player. 

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Check out this crazy story.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/in-bizarre-lawsuit-yankees-failed-prospect-says-derek-jeter-ruined-his-career.html

The story adds that he also sued the Reds and Ricky Proehl, the former NFL player. 

Haha I saw that, he is insane. Basically it be like me suing my MS for cutting me from baseball, I wasn't good enough. Idk how he became a lawyer and who will higher him after this

After what just happened with the Astros getting caught cheating, I will label the 2017 season as no team winning the WS. The league investigated the Astros, they were 100% guilty, both GM and Manager just got fired, and stealing signs is the worse thing a team can do. They knew what was coming pitch wise almost every time. The Dodgers have to be upset about this after losing that WS 4-3.

The last 5 WS Champions list should look like this

2015 - Royals

2016 - Cubs

2017 - Vacant, no Champion

2018 - Red Sox

2019 - Nationals

Archived