Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

On 7/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly thought the Cards would win the division. They won the offseason bigtime. They still might but something isn't right with them. @Jay Kirk, what do you think of their manager? I know you hated their last one but the guy they have now is doing the same thing with better players.

They still may Lol a lot of baseball to be played yet.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, NFLfan said:

I expected a lot from the Cards after they acquired Goldschmidt and the reliever (Miller, is it?). How is Goldy doing now?

You seem to follow the top 100 prospects. The last time I checked, San Diego seemed to have about 10 on that list. I want the Mets to trade for prospects. They need to quit building through free agency and build the team through the farm system. I don't believe the Mets have more than 1 or 2 prospects among the top 100.

Well as always I don't agree with Myles and that's ok . Goldy is not  hitting to his capabilities , but still not bad , showing signs of breaking out big . The rest of Goldy is stellar . Tyler O'Neal has been allowed to play regular last two weeks and has brought life to the offense . A very dangerous hitter , sometimes people don't get the chance because other players making big salaries with big ego's to boot. This is a big mistake , show the stars if they don't perform they are expendable .

27 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

The key Brother is making the play offs and being hot when you get there. You have the upper hand when this happens regardless of your season record in my opinion.

Yep, I agree. Just have to get in then anything can really happen when it is narrowed down to 5 teams.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, I agree. Just have to get in then anything can really happen when it is narrowed down to 5 teams.

Fact Brother we have seen it before. People seem to think the Cards pen is not adequate , if they stop and look they are the best in the NL.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Fact Brother we have seen it before. People seem to think the Cards pen is not adequate , if they stop and look they are the best in the NL.

Yeah we still roughly have 65 games left, so a lot of baseball left. Cards are catching fire, Cubs are hanging onto the lead but it is far from over. I still think the Brewers will come around but they look bad at times like last night.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we still roughly have 65 games left, so a lot of baseball left. Cards are catching fire, Cubs are hanging onto the lead but it is far from over. I still think the Brewers will come around but they look bad at times like last night.

Yes we knew it would be back and forth all season. This is a tough division and people tend to forget that.

Had to follow the game on phone when  I could while traveling deep in the heart of Texas today. El Mago did his thing once again! And how special is the story of the boy who is recovering from cancer that asked for a moonshot yesterday, and Rizzo delivered with a grand slam!!! Awesome!!!! So glad they’ve been successful with Contreras injured, although it looks like he was taking batting practice today so should be back soon. Russell had a rough game again, and Madden was a little critical of him after the game. His days might be numbered. Hope the Cubs can get a sweep tomorrow, and start their road trip with some more momentum!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

9 hours ago, HOZER said:

Had to follow the game on phone when  I could while traveling deep in the heart of Texas today. El Mago did his thing once again! And how special is the story of the boy who is recovering from cancer that asked for a moonshot yesterday, and Rizzo delivered with a grand slam!!! Awesome!!!! So glad they’ve been successful with Contreras injured, although it looks like he was taking batting practice today so should be back soon. Russell had a rough game again, and Madden was a little critical of him after the game. His days might be numbered. Hope the Cubs can get a sweep tomorrow, and start their road trip with some more momentum!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

As of now we just can't seem to pull away in the NL Central. I mean like get a 5 or 6 game lead which is comfortable. 7-1 since the all-star break and at 54-44 but things are still tight. Cards did lose last night but they are still only 3.5 back at 50-47. Brewers won though and are just 3 back at 52-48. 

I was looking up several of the great players of today,

Here is Kris Bryant's resume in his career (2015-2019 seasons)

-1 x World Series Champion = 2016

-1 x NL MVP = 2016

-1 x  NL Hank Aaron award winner = 2015

NL Rookie of the Year = 2015

-Lifetime batting avg of .287

-3 x NL All-Star = 2015, 2016, 2019

-Only 1 of 12 players in the history of baseball to hit a HR in 3 consecutive innings. He did that at Washington this season in 2019. He hit 3 HR's in a game in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. Cubs just kept getting hits so he kept coming up.

Hey what is one thing Kris Bryant has that Mike Trout, Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, and Aaron Judge doesn't have? Answer, a ring. Kris Bryant could retire tomorrow and has accomplished everything in just 4.5 seasons that there is accolades wise. After a shoulder injury last season he even made the All-Star team this season. Those other guys I named have never won it all and get a lot more attention. They can have it lmao . We just do what we do. Bryce Harper and Manny Machado have 2 of the most outrageous contracts and their teams aren't going anywhere.

Go Cubs!

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Carl Edwards Jr. folks.

Hopefully it was just first game back jitters....IDk he’s definitely not the same player he was in 2016.

Still happy they won the series and Hendricks kept the damage to a minimum while he was in. 

GoCubsGo!

Week ends with Brewers 2 back Cards 2.5 .  This will shape into a real dogfight down the stretch. Will come down to head to head who wins division. Just hope whoever wins doesn't knock other two out of wildcard contention.

Brewers lose Woodruff for at least 10 days.  I'm thinking they have to trade for a SP before the deadline.  They have Travis Shaw in AAA because there's no room for him in Milwaukee now to get regular ABs.

I would think Shaw would be very attractive to a few teams.

Cardinals playing well of late and as mentioned before, O'Neill has given the offense a boost.  Goldschmidt starting to heat up, too.  They just need some decent starting pitching and better work from the bullpen so they're not giving up leads in the late innings.

Cubs playing well, too.  Going to be an interesting rest of the season in the NL Central.

With 4 against the Pirates, the Cardinals could knock a team out of playoff contention 2 series in a row.  I think Cincy at 9 games back are done.  Pit needs to win the Cardinal series to still be in it.   

19 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals are 8-2 in their last 10 games and now 1.5 back of the Cubs.  They are finally making progress and I feel like they'll be buying at the trade deadline.  Most likely starting pitching at this point.

Yeah, the Cubs blew a 4-2 lead last night and the Cards are now just 1.5 back. Things are getting tight.

22 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals are 8-2 in their last 10 games and now 1.5 back of the Cubs.  They are finally making progress and I feel like they'll be buying at the trade deadline.  Most likely starting pitching at this point.

I would like to agree , have heard rumors on Charlie Blackmon also . Hmm that would be interesting . 

The lead in the Central down to .5 , Lol anyone sweating yet ? Lol still a lot of head to head to go. The Cards have a very rough road trip that they have started. It is getting interesting though , and that makes the game fun. :thmup:

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Odd that they only talk about those who the Cards would be willing to trade.

I didn't realize Ozuna was a free agent after this season.  

The Cardinals’ outfield, meantime, may have two long-term building blocks in O’Neill and Bader. Their presences look especially important with Marcell Ozuna set to hit free agency after the season and Jose Martinez not being a viable defensive option in the grass. O’Neill, 24, has been a solid offensive producer since debuting last year, having slashed .275/.314/.502 (115 wRC+) with 14 home runs. He has, however, fanned in a massive percentage of plate appearances (39.2) and drawn walks at only a 4.5 percent clip. It’s also worth noting an impossible-to-sustain .405 bating average on balls in play has buoyed his numbers.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/cardinals-trade-rumors-left-handed-relievers-bullpen.html

Now it seems lefty bullpen help is a focus.  I don't expect Ozuna to come back and Charlie Blackmon would cost some $$$, but we have money and adding Blackmon to the line-up would be just fine with me.

This division will be very close the rest of the way and any team that can make one key move would possibly make or break their playoff run.

Brewers need SP.  I see the Rays are interested in Jesus Aguilar and they have pitching to trade to Milwaukee.

Not sure if the Cubs need another player or two, but if they play to their potential, then they have the best roster/lineup in the NL Central right now and should win the division with what they currently have.

I went to the Louisville Bats game last night.  They played Gwinnett, the AAA of the Braves.  Former Bat Adam Duvall plays for Gwinnett and has 28HR and 78 RBI this season.  Just a couple of years ago, he had back to back 30 HR seasons for the Reds.  He's not going to crack the Atlanta lineup, so I would think he'd be a nice trading chip for teams looking for a right-handed power hitter.

3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

The lead in the Central down to .5 , Lol anyone sweating yet ? Lol still a lot of head to head to go. The Cards have a very rough road trip that they have started. It is getting interesting though , and that makes the game fun. :thmup:

Yeah the Cards are on fire and the Cubs gave up a walkoff HR to the Giants last night and lost 5-4 again. I actually seen this coming eventually with the Cards catching the Cubs. Cards were just too good to keep playing .500 ball. At least the Brewers keep losing haha .

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Yeah Russ was a key part to our 2016 Championship team but since his domestic violence he hasn't been the same. It was a matter of time. 

Cubs win! 4-1 over the Giants to go to 55-47. Kimbrel shuts down the Giants in the 9th. Cards play the Pirates shortly, Cards are 53-47 a game back. Interesting stuff. Fly the flag Hozer.

I do not think it is serious from what I have been hearing but MVP left the game with knee soreness. He has been durable this season playing 97 of 102 games so far. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win! 4-1 over the Giants to go to 55-47. Kimbrel shuts down the Giants in the 9th. Cards play the Pirates shortly, Cards are 53-47 a game back. Interesting stuff. Fly the flag Hozer.

I do not think it is serious from what I have been hearing but MVP left the game with knee soreness. He has been durable this season playing 97 of 102 games so far. 

Lester out sick.

Rizzo ejected.

MVP injured.

Chatwood pitching.

And Cubs still win? I’ll take it!!!!

Just now, HOZER said:

Lester out sick.

Rizzo ejected.

MVP injured.

Chatwood pitching.

And Cubs still win? I’ll take it!!!!

Yeah we have tomorrow off which is good. MVP left with soreness of the knee latest I have heard. We start a series with the Brewers on Friday, hopefully Jon will be 100% by then to start.

Archived