Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

I have thought about this for a while and it is tough but who is your all-time favorite baseball player on your favorite team? The Colts is easy - Peyton Manning. Pacers would be Reggie Miller, Cubs not sure? I grew up watching Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson. Now I am watching MVP, Lester, Rizzo, and Baez, + Jake and Chapman in the past too. @HOZER @NFLfan, @Jay Kirk

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have thought about this for a while and it is tough but who is your all-time favorite baseball player on your favorite team? 

:thinking: That is a hard question to answer. There are so many. With the Vikes, I liked a lot of the players who played in the 90s like John Randle, Cris Carter, Chris Walsh (loved him), Robert Smith, Jack del Rio and others. My favorite may have been this hard-hitting safety named Robert Griffith. Teddy is another favorite although we had him for only 4 seasons, playing only in 2. I love the kid. 

As for the Mets, I loved Gooden, Howard Johnson, David Wright, Robin Ventura, Bernard Gilkey, Grandy. I'd have to say David Wright now but for a lot of my early years as a fan, it was Doc Gooden. However, I have soured on Gooden. 

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

:thinking: That is a hard question to answer. There are so many. With the Vikes, I liked a lot of the players who played in the 90s like John Randle, Cris Carter, Chris Walsh (loved him), Robert Smith, Jack del Rio and others. My favorite may have been this hard-hitting safety named Robert Griffith. Teddy is another favorite although we had him for only 4 seasons, playing only in 2. I love the kid. 

As for the Mets, I loved Gooden, Howard Johnson, David Wright, Robin Ventura, Bernard Gilkey, Grandy. I'd have to say David Wright now but for a lot of my early years as a fan, it was Doc Gooden. However, I have soured on Gooden. 

I would probably say Kris Bryant is mine. It is strange for me to say that because I love the older generational players. That kid is just great on and off the field though. He acts like a 40 year old the way he carries himself. He loves his wife so much from the interviews I have seen. He has won NL Rookie of the Year (2015), NL MVP (2016), and a WS (2016). Off the field he gives to so many charities and visits children who are sick. On the Field he has always been a leader and great.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have thought about this for a while and it is tough but who is your all-time favorite baseball player on your favorite team? The Colts is easy - Peyton Manning. Pacers would be Reggie Miller, Cubs not sure? I grew up watching Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson. Now I am watching MVP, Lester, Rizzo, and Baez, + Jake and Chapman in the past too. @HOZER @NFLfan, @Jay Kirk

I'm going to chime in on this, but it is very difficult to list just one, so I'm going to cheat and list up to 3 for each:

Colts - Peyton Manning, Johnny Unitas, Ken Dilger

Pacers - George McGinnis, Reggie Miller, Mel Daniels

Cardinals - Scott Rolen, Albert Pujols, Chris Carpenter

12 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm going to chime in on this, but it is very difficult to list just one, so I'm going to cheat and list up to 3 for each:

Man you are a Cards fan. You should post here a lot. Cards are loaded but like the Cubs and Brewers they keep losing silly games. Jay who created this thread is a huge Cards fan. 

-I loved McGinnis but I was so young when he played. Pujols is just a star. I am a Cubs fan as you probably know. Since 1984.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man you are a Cards fan. You should post here a lot. Cards are loaded but like the Cubs and Brewers they keep losing silly games. Jay who created this thread is a huge Cards fan. 

-I loved McGinnis but I was so young when he played. Pujols is just a star. I am a Cubs fan as you probably know. Since 1984.

Yes I am a Cards fan, and honestly just stumbled onto this thread, because it's buried on the College Football page :)

I was a Cubs fan long ago (1980's) while in college, because I could watch their afternoon games on WGN after morning classes (before the lights were installed in 1988).  Loved Harry Caray and got to meet him in 1983.  But, once that group of players moved on or retired, and once Harry passed away, they weren't fun to watch anymore.  So, since I live near Louisville, KY and they were the AAA affiliate of the Cardinals, I started following them.  A lot of Louisville Redbirds players made their way to St. Louis and it was easy to become a Cardinals fan.  Saw Willie McGee, Ray Lankford, Bernard Gilkey, Andy Van Slyke, the Benes brothers, Tom Pagnozzi and many others come through Louisville on the way to the majors.

Been a Pacers fan since 1968 when I saw them in the second season of the ABA when they played the Kentucky Colonels in Louisville often.  Since I live in Indiana, I had to be a Pacers fan, although I was surrounded by Colonels fans.  I live just across the Ohio River from Louisville and have worked in Louisville nearly all my adult life.

Those ABA Pacers teams were special and still my favorite of all the Pacers teams.  In the ABA days, you could hang out near the locker room entrance after games and get autographs, so I was able to meet all the legends - Daniels, McGinnis, Brown, Netolicky, Hillman, Keller, Lewis, Mount and many others, including the stars from the Colonels.

I'll be on this thread often now that I found it!

I was born in 1971 and became a Cubs fan in 1984 because they were on WGN everyday with Harry, I loved Ryne Sandberg and the Cubs were great that year. Been a Colts fan since 1984 too because they moved here that year. I was a Pacers fan as a real youngster. I remember McGinnis in 1980 lol. Clark Kellogg was a beast too in the early 80's. In 82-83 wasn't he 20 and 10 as a rookie. The early 80's ruled, my first crush was on the woman that played Debbie in the Friday the 13th Part 3 lol. I seen that in early in 1983. That was a great decade. Magic and Bird ruled too sports wise.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably Bob Gibson , Lou Brock or Ozzie Smith . Between those three.

5 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Yes I am a Cards fan, and honestly just stumbled onto this thread, because it's buried on the College Football page :)

I was a Cubs fan long ago (1980's) while in college, because I could watch their afternoon games on WGN after morning classes (before the lights were installed in 1988).  Loved Harry Caray and got to meet him in 1983.  But, once that group of players moved on or retired, and once Harry passed away, they weren't fun to watch anymore.  So, since I live near Louisville, KY and they were the AAA affiliate of the Cardinals, I started following them.  A lot of Louisville Redbirds players made their way to St. Louis and it was easy to become a Cardinals fan.  Saw Willie McGee, Ray Lankford, Bernard Gilkey, Andy Van Slyke, the Benes brothers, Tom Pagnozzi and many others come through Louisville on the way to the majors.

Been a Pacers fan since 1968 when I saw them in the second season of the ABA when they played the Kentucky Colonels in Louisville often.  Since I live in Indiana, I had to be a Pacers fan, although I was surrounded by Colonels fans.  I live just across the Ohio River from Louisville and have worked in Louisville nearly all my adult life.

Those ABA Pacers teams were special and still my favorite of all the Pacers teams.  In the ABA days, you could hang out near the locker room entrance after games and get autographs, so I was able to meet all the legends - Daniels, McGinnis, Brown, Netolicky, Hillman, Keller, Lewis, Mount and many others, including the stars from the Colonels.

Welcome fellow Cards fan Lol . I have been out numbered since we started the thread. Its a good group of people. We are baseball fans in general. Welcome to the family

5 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

With you on the Pacers as well. Watched those teams as a kid.

6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Yes I forgot about Carp . He was a fierce competitor as well, tough as nails. Lets hope we start second half off the right way tonight .

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts- Peyton Manning hands down.

Spurs- The Admiral David Robinson

Cubs- This one a tough. Rizzo is probably my favorite player due to his team leadership and toughness, as well as his philanthropic activities.

12 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Welcome. This is one if the best threads on this site.

Working in Louisville, were you a Bridgewater fan? He is one of my favorite Vikings players. Wish we still had him.

9 hours ago, HOZER said:

Well the Cubs are up to a good start after the break!!!! Yu had a good game:  6 IP,2 Hits,1 BB, 8 Ks, and 0 ER. Not too shabby. Strop about blew it thought-h-u-d

Let me dust this thing off....

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg 

Yeah nice way to start things off in the 2nd half. 4-3 over the Pirates to improve to 48-43. We won and everyone else in the division lost. Our lead over the Brewers is now at 1.5. Darvish pitched great for a change but because of Strop he did not get the win. Kimbrel saved another game too. MVP homered again for his 18th and is now batting .297 on the season. He looks good this year so far after injuring his shoulder last year.

In case you missed it, there was a no hitter last night.

Quote:

"On a night that the Los Angeles Angels honored fallen teammate Tyler Skaggs, they also made history.

Pitchers Taylor Cole and Félix Peña combined to throw the 13th no-hitter in Major League Baseball history in the Angels 13-0 victory against the Seattle Mariners."

Link: No hitter 7/12/19

Rest in peace, Tyler Skaggs.

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In case you missed it, there was a no hitter last night.

Quote:

"On a night that the Los Angeles Angels honored fallen teammate Tyler Skaggs, they also made history.

Pitchers Taylor Cole and Félix Peña combined to throw the 13th no-hitter in Major League Baseball history in the Angels 13-0 victory against the Seattle Mariners."

Rest in peace, Tyler Skaggs.

What a way to play a game for a guy that passed away. Doesn't get any better than that.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In case Pitchers Taylor Cole and Félix Peña combined to throw the 13th no-hitter in Major League Baseball history in the Angels 13-0 victory against the Seattle Mariners."

That must be wrong. I wonder if they meant that it is the 13th no hitter in the history of the Angels but that seems like many. The Padres still have never had a pitcher throw a no-hitter. The Mets with all the great pitchers in their history (Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Gooden, Cone, Viola, and more) have only one (Yohan Santana). 

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Welcome. This is one if the best threads on this site.

Definitely, even when we get a little :argue:    :catfight:, we always find a way to get past it and enjoy this great game of baseball!!!:grouphug:  :shake:  There are some great people on this thread!

13 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Definitely, even when we get a little :argue:    :catfight:, we always find a way to get past it and enjoy this great game of baseball!!!:grouphug:  :shake:  There are some great people on this thread!

Yeah the people in here that post a lot are great. This is an awesome thread for baseball. It is hard to believe the Cubs run started in 2015 when they 1st got great with the core they have. These last 5 seasons have been a blur including this one which is flying by. I would love for the Cubs to end the decade by winning the tough NL Central. Cubs are also going for 5 straight playoff appearances which is really tough to accomplish (2015-2019). Cubs got their ring too in 2016. If the Cubs win the NL Central this season it will be 3 in 5 seasons = 2016, 2017, and 2019. Still a ways to go but we lead it as of now. Getting that 2nd or 3rd seed is critical this season because you avoid the Dodgers until the NLCS if you get it.

Cubs win again!!!! 10-4, I like it!!!First series win in over a month!!!!  Lester hit a homerun, Contreras hit a homerun,   Schwarber had a great day at the plate and an amazing catch! Then an amazing play by Baez/Russel/Rizzo to end the game!!! 

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

37 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Cubs win again!!!! 10-4, I like it!!!First series win in over a month!!!!  Lester hit a homerun, Contreras hit a homerun,   Schwarber had a great day at the plate and an amazing catch! Then an amazing play by Baez/Russel/Rizzo to end the game!!! 

Yeah that was great stuff today brother. Now 49-43 and 2 ahead of the Brewers. 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My favorite players are not to based on team but hometown/HS/College/Personal reasons

NFL- Ken Dilger, Matt Mauck

NBA- Walter McCarty

MLB- Don Mattingly, Scott Rolen, Andy Benes, Jim Abbott

WNBA- Jackie Young

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win! 8-3 over the Pirates. Fly the flag Hozer. It has been a while since we have had one of these robin williams dancing GIF by STARZ . 50-43 now on the season.

SWEEP!!!!! Now let’s go get those Reds now!!!!

NL Central as of July 14th looks like this:

Cubs 50-43

Brewers 48-46 (2.5 back)

Cards 46-45 (3 back)

Pirates 44-48 (5.5 back)

Reds 42-47 (6 back)

Brewers lost :thmup:. That was a big 3 game sweep of the Pirates. That separates us and them quite a bit. Pirates have been hanging around all season. Coming into the season the Brewers got so much hype, it is different when you are the hunted and not the huntee lmao . 1 very good season, wasn't even great because they did not win the WS (last year) and most in the media thought they would run away with the Central this season. Cards are the surprise to me though. I would've thought they would be much better than 46-45 with the lineup and pitching they have. Reds are very much improved and a little dangerous.

Where we have the advantage over the other teams is we have recent championship experience with guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Lester. I hope that carries us in the NL Central.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central as of July 14th looks like this:

Cubs 50-43

Brewers 48-46 (2.5 back)

Cards 46-45 (3 back)

Pirates 44-48 (5.5 back)

Reds 42-47 (6 back)

Brewers lost :thmup:. That was a big 3 game sweep of the Pirates. That separates us and them quite a bit. Pirates have been hanging around all season. Coming into the season the Brewers got so much hype, it is different when you are the hunted and not the huntee lmao . 1 very good season, wasn't even great because they did not win the WS (last year) and most in the media thought they would run away with the Central this season. Cards are the surprise to me though. I would've thought they would be much better than 46-45 with the lineup and pitching they have. Reds are very much improved and a little dangerous.

Where we have the advantage over the other teams is we have recent championship experience with guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Lester. I hope that carries us in the NL Central.

The East could get 3 teams in. Maybe not, but the records are similar to those of the teams in the Central. Unfortunately, the Mets are not among the ones in contention. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You may be right when you say the Mets need to fire their manager.

He probably will be. As for what I wrote earlier, check out the standings in the East.

The East:

Braves  57-37

Nationals 49-43

Phillies 48-45

The Central:

Cubs 50-43

Brewers 48-46 

Cards 46-45

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He probably will be. As for what I wrote earlier, check out the standings in the East.

The East:

Braves  57-37

Nationals 49-43

Phillies 48-45

The Central:

Cubs 50-43

Brewers 48-46 

Cards 46-45

If the Cubs bring their A game we can beat the Braves in a series. The Nats have been impressive lately.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

My favorite players are not to based on team but hometown/HS/College/Personal reasons

NFL- Ken Dilger, Matt Mauck

NBA- Walter McCarty

MLB- Don Mattingly, Scott Rolen, Andy Benes, Jim Abbott

WNBA- Jackie Young

I meant to add Clint Barmes-MLB too

Archived