Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5822

  • NFLfan

    2289

  • Jay Kirk

    2231

  • PrincetonTiger

    1838

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

Posted Images

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has a team ever made 4 straight NLCS other than the Cards from 2011-2014? If they have I don't remember it? Cards made 4 in a row from 2011-2014, Cubs just made 3 from 2015-2017 so if they make it in 2018 they could match the Cards.

Its a good question , I really doubt it , I was thinking Reds big Red machine but know that's not possible because of the Pirates in the same era and different format for playoffs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Its a good question , I really doubt it , I was thinking Reds big Red machine but know that's not possible because of the Pirates in the same era and different format for playoffs.

I did some major research Jay. Here are the results - Since the 1947 merger when African Americans were allowed to play, the teams that have made the most NLCS in a row are:

1. Braves from 1995-1999, they made 5 in row. Braves won the WS in 1995.

2. Cardinals from 2011-2014, they made 4 in a row. Cards won the WS in 2011.

-So if the Cubs make it in 2018 they would tie the Cards for 2nd all-time as they have made it from 2015-2017. Cubs won the WS in 2016.

 

- The most the BigRedMachine of the 70's made it in a row was 2 in 1975/1976. Reds won the WS both of those seasons The 80's Mets never even made it 2 years in a row just to bring up other power house teams. Mets of course won the WS in 1986.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did some major research Jay. Here are the results - Since the 1947 merger when African Americans were allowed to play, the teams that have made the most NLCS in a row are:

1. Braves from 1995-1999, they made 5 in row. Braves won the WS in 1995.

2. Cardinals from 2011-2014, they made 4 in a row. Cards won the WS in 2011.

-So if the Cubs make it in 2018 they would tie the Cards for 2nd all-time as they have made it from 2015-2017. Cubs won the WS in 2016.

 

- The most the BigRedMachine of the 70's made it in a row was 2 in 1975/1976. Reds won the WS both of those seasons The 80's Mets never even made it 2 years in a row just to bring up other power house teams. Mets of course won the WS in 1986.

 

The team that came to mind when you originally asked the question was the Dodgers of the 1950s with Snyder, Campanella, Newcombe, etc. They went to the World Series four out of five years from 1952 through 1956. They did not win the pennant in 1954, but I could not find whether they made the NLCS that year. 

 

I can't believe I forgot about the Braves. They were a thorn on the Mets' side for years!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

The team that came to mind when you originally asked the question was the Dodgers of the 1950s with Snyder, Campanella, Newcombe, etc. They went to the World Series four out of five years from 1952 through 1956. They did not win the pennant in 1954, but I could not find whether they made the NLCS that year. 

 

I can't believe I forgot about the Braves. They were a thorn on the Mets' side for years!

The Dodgers did not make the Playoffs in 1954 to answer your question. Yeah the Braves are easily forgotten because they only won 1 WS and the year they won it was the strike shortened season.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, NFLfan said:

 

The team that came to mind when you originally asked the question was the Dodgers of the 1950s with Snyder, Campanella, Newcombe, etc. They went to the World Series four out of five years from 1952 through 1956. They did not win the pennant in 1954, but I could not find whether they made the NLCS that year. 

 

I can't believe I forgot about the Braves. They were a thorn on the Mets' side for years!

I'm with you on the Braves NFL how could I have forgot other than I'm getting old .:lecture: :spit:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 5:35 PM, Jay Kirk said:

I'm with you on the Braves NFL how could I have forgot other than I'm getting old .:lecture: :spit:

 

Lol. Nah. You're just busy and have more important things on your mind. :)

 

Christmas is almost here. We don't always see each other here. Merry Christmas to all my buddies on the Baseball thread. You're among the best fans here!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Lol. Nah. You're just busy and have more important things on your mind. :)

 

Christmas is almost here. We don't always see each other here. Merry Christmas to all my buddies on the Baseball thread. You're among the best fans here!

Back at you NFL and Merry Christmas all if I don't see you all prior .

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my forum peeps!!! 

 

 

 

 

Side note: Looks like Cubs are considering Darvish.......not sure I like the idea....Arrietas status still unknown though so have to do something...

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Wow Rockies paying Wade 52 Million? That’s great for him!!!! Can’t see Theo paying that much for a closer. Wonder if we do lose Arrieta if we end up picking up Darvish...

 

Is it Spring yet?????

Not a big Darvish fan. If we sign him and he wins his first 4 or 5 starts I may change my tune. He was bad in the WS. I love Jake so until I see someone pitch like him in a Cub uni, it will be tough for me to say anyone can match him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not a big Darvish fan. If we sign him and he wins his first 4 or 5 starts I may change my tune. He was bad in the WS. I love Jake so until I see someone pitch like him in a Cub uni, it will be tough for me to say anyone can match him.

Agreed!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not a big Darvish fan. If we sign him and he wins his first 4 or 5 starts I may change my tune. He was bad in the WS. I love Jake so until I see someone pitch like him in a Cub uni, it will be tough for me to say anyone can match him.

I don't think Darvish would fair well long term in Wrigley . I think Jake is more solid with the art of pitching .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I don't think Darvish would fair well long term in Wrigley . I think Jake is more solid with the art of pitching .

I agree. Cubs should quit being stubborn and just give Jake his contract. If Theo is going to give Darvish a boatload of money on a longterm deal, might as well keep Jake who is better suited to pitch in Wrigley.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Does anyone need a MLB Player because the Pirates are having a Fire Sale

 

I know it looks like it because they were big names, but two guys isn't a fire sale.

If it were me, though, we've got a couple more 'up and comers' I wouldn't mind dumping on you unless they pick it up soon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, buccolts said:

 

I know it looks like it because they were big names, but two guys isn't a fire sale.

If it were me, though, we've got a couple more 'up and comers' I wouldn't mind dumping on you unless they pick it up soon.

 

Who are the 'up and comers' that you are referring to? 

 

Who else besides McCutchen was traded away?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Who are the 'up and comers' that you are referring to? 

 

Who else besides McCutchen was traded away?

We traded Cole to the Astros a couple of days ago. He's been a bit underwhelming for a supposed 'ace', and we have a couple of good prospects that may be ready to bring up.

 

I'm starting to lose a bit of patience with Marte, and Polanco.

Both have a lot of promise, and are still young, but it's time  each stepped it up a bit. Especially with Cutch gone now.

 

I'll miss Cutch, but it was time.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, buccolts said:

 

I know it looks like it because they were big names, but two guys isn't a fire sale.

If it were me, though, we've got a couple more 'up and comers' I wouldn't mind dumping on you unless they pick it up soon.

Harrison wants out

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I will say not much movement in the FA market , with spring training a little over 3 weeks away. Still some good pitchers and position players to be had. NFL congrats to your Vikings

One reason is that players are dragging things out

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Still no Jake Arrieta news. I haven't Posted in here lately because nothing big has happened except for McCutchen getting traded to the Giants.

FA market should heat up , time getting short.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mets have not done much except sign Jay Bruce who they had traded to the Indians last summer. Most Mets fans, including me, are okay with bringing Bruce back. We also avoided arbitration with many of our young pitchers (Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard).

 

Baseball has been so far from my mind that I forgot how to spell Syndergaard.lmao

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest word on Yu Darvish is, the Yankees want him badly and offered him a team friendly contract = 6 years for 120 Mill where Yu gets 30 Mill in the first 2 seasons. I hope this happens because then the Cubs will probably be all in on Jake at that point. Jake is simply the better Pitcher and is clutch when it counts. He is a TrueCub and needs to stay in Wrigley where he dominates.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • NFLfan changed the title to Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?
  • NFLfan unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Ballard didn't say it was definite.   He didn't rule it out.   He just said as of this minute.    I think he's hoping to find out in April and May.      He still might end up deciding Eason is OK as the back-up.   I was only trying to impress upon those in the "Throw Jacob Eason in and see what we have" crowd that Ballard has crushed that dream for 2021.    But I wouldn't rule out 2022....  at least not yet.  
    • TY - 2Y/22M - he can still play but he’s not Tyreek Hill taking the top of defenses anymore, and with his disappearing act at the beginning of the year I’m afraid to sign him any longer or with too much guaranteed. Partly for sentimental reasons I want him to stay, but I do think he’s still got some juice.    Mack - 1Y/1M - Likable player but due to his position and injury, no way can I justify giving him much more than vet minimum.    Houston - 1Y/8M - Fell off a lot this year compared to his first year. Still our best edge player, basically by default and I’d be hoping we can get a more 2019 performance out of him at arguably our weakest position on the team.    Autry - Walk. He will price himself out with an inflated sense of value because he’s gotten decent sack numbers, but he is the definition of JAG and I’d only keep him if he agreed to a minimum contract.    Rhodes - 1Y/6M - He was a stud this year. If we could guarantee that he won’t revert back to his last two years in Minnesota I would be willing to go longer and higher. With how much he fell off after getting paid the first time, I’m not giving him a long term deal.    Walker - 1Y/2M - He was playing a very small percentage of downs at the end of the year so I’m keeping him less based on ability and more based on leadership and football savvy.    Hooker - Walk. Both sides need to just move on. I’d keep him at minimum too but I think both sides want a fresh start. Also a little miscast in the current defense so no reason to force a square peg into a round hole.    Brissett - 1Y/5M - Too big of a fan of Brissett as a man to want to see him leave. I don’t want him starting but he’s a very solid backup and compared to the 20M we gave him last year, I can live with his salary being at 1/4 of that this year.    Pascal and MAC both tendered at 2.24M. I want to bring in Kenny Golladay or Allen Robinson and Pascal is JAG so he’s not falling into my future plans much. I’m a big fan of MAC and I wouldn’t mind seeing him play the Jack Doyle role. He’s a better blocker, has better hands, and is more explosive.    I may be lowballing some guys but I’d hate to fall into the trap of overvaluing our guys and keeping them just because you want to keep your own. Unfortunately, I think the five most important positions on the team also coincide with our five weakest positions on the team; QB, WR, CB, DE, and LT. Fortunately we’ve got a good cap situation and this is the perfect year to be needing a QB. 
    • If we let Walker Walk, (and I think it’s likely) it’s not because we want an upgrade.   It’s because we simply don’t play him enough.   I think East Street has the numbers in snaps, but I think Walker is roughly playing 25-30 percent of the snaps.   That’s it.    We can't pay him enough for that.   Some other team will PLAY him more so they will PAY him more.    When Walker is off the field, we are either playing a 4-2-5 or a 4-1-6.   Leonard plays basically 100 percent of the snaps and I think Oke is about 55-60 percent.     There is a method to our madness.  
    • I'm surprised some folks want to resign Walker. Imo we definitely need an upgrade.... I'd let him walk.
    • Colts have won one playoff game in 6 seasons. Some more losing seasons and this team is no longer even in the top half of NFL franchises. They would be mostly irrelevant. I can’t imagine Irsay going for that.   Ballard is definitely safe...but this is year 5 and I am assuming there is a bit more urgency than just waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...