Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BrentMc11 said:

Forever and ever Amen....:scorebad:

Just say no to the White Sox....:bossy:

Luck Is Good is a WhiteSox fan, he's actually pretty cool but I agree. I worked with a WhiteSox fan last year for a while, he was a contractor at our Site and he hated the Cubs. It was during the Playoffs and everytime they would lose a game he would come in chirping his nonsense toward me because he knew I liked the Cubs.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck Is Good is a WhiteSox fan, he's actually pretty cool but I agree. I worked with a WhiteSox fan last year for a while, he was a contractor at our Site and he hated the Cubs. It was during the Playoffs and everytime they would lose a game he would come in chirping his nonsense toward me because he knew I liked the Cubs.

I followed the White Sox for a couple of years during the 90s because of Him Abbott 

25 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Me too until WGN America changed format

The reason why I became a Cubs fan is WGN. I started watching Cubs games in the summer of 1984 on WGN (cable Chicago) with Harry and Steve Stone and the Cubs were awesome that season too. Out of school for the summer and that was the thing to do. Around here it was either Reds or Cubs because we had no team.

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hawk Harrelson is stirred ngbthe pot in the North Side-South Side Rivalry 

He just said Wrigley Field should be replaced

"Hawk," more like "tweety bird", is the same turd that said Lackey should be purposely hit with a line drive after he accidentally hit a few batters. He's been running his mouth for a while, last week he was crying about how he hates the press boxes at Wrigley and about how he'll never go and announce there again before he retires blah blah blah...his hemorrhoids must be flaring up again making him grouchy, he's a hater plain and simple. I like the Sox, not as much as my Cubbies, and definitely not when they're against my Cubs, but I do root for them any other time.

31 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Cubs bustin it open on the Reds, 7-2 bottom of the 4th!!! Bryant and Rizzo back to back HR's!!!!!! GoCubsGo!!!!! 

Yeah it's looking good right now, 7-2 Cubs in the 6th. A win here puts us back up 1.5 games. A tiny bit of breathing room anyway. Cards are off tonight but play 2 in Boston starting tomorrow - that is never easy.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I used to get so excited about these subway series between the Mets and the Yankees. Surprisingly, today I forgot all about it until now. Glad about that.

The Yankees take the opener 4-2.

It's only because the Mets are out of it. Why is your FO getting rid of all of your best Hitters? Makes no sense. I like the Mets and used to root for them as well when the Cubs were out of things.

Here is a breakdown of what is going on in Baseball heading into August 15th. After tomorrow August is half over! Here is a look at teams that have a great shot or decent shot at making the Playoffs. Here you go Baseball junkies!

American League

East

RedSox 67-51 hold the 2 Seed

Yankees 62-55 (4.5 back) hold the 4 Seed WildCard spot

Central

Indians 64-52 hold the 3 Seed

Twins 59-57 (5 back) are .5 back of the final WildCard spot

Royals 60-58 (5 back) are .5 back of the final WildCard spot

West

Astros 72-46 hold the 1 Seed

Angels 61-58 (11.5 back) hold the 5 Seed WildCard spot

-Real interesting stuff going on in the AL. The WildCard race is a doozy and one to really watch. Yankees hold the 4 at 62-55 and the Angels hold the 5 at 61-58 but are just .5 ahead of the Twins and Royals. Astros despite struggling a bit lately have a firm grip on HFA in the AL.

National League

East

Nationals 70-46 hold the 2 Seed

Central

Cubs 62-55 hold the 3 Seed

Cards 61-57 (1.5 back)

Brewers 61-59 (2.5 back)

West

Dodgers 83-34 hold the 1 Seed

Rockies 66-52 (17.5 back) hold the 4 Seed WildCard spot/own tiebreak over D-Backs.

D-Backs 66-52 (17.5 back) hold the 5 Seed WildCard spot

-Cubs, Cards, and Brewers are all in a tight race to see who wins the NL Central, the winner of the Division will make the Playoffs as a 3 Seed. The Dodgers are in complete control of HFA throughout the NL Playoffs and World Series. So glad Baseball changed the HFA rule, the team with the best record gets HFA now in the WS. Had they not changed the rule an AL team would've got it.

-I hope these Seeds hold up actually, Yankees playing against Mike Trout would be very entertaining for a WildCard game in the AL. RedSox vs Indians would be an awesome series as well with the RedSox having HFA. In the NL, the Rockies vs D-Backs in a 1 game WildCard match couldn't get more entertaining. I am not sure who is better? Nationals vs Cubs would be an epic classic series assuming Bryce Harper gets healthy by the Playoffs. Nats would have HFA as well.

-Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's only because the Mets are out of it. Why is your FO getting rid of all of your best Hitters? Makes no sense. I like the Mets and used to root for them as well when the Cubs were out of things.

Yeah, if the Mets were in it, I may be more interested. However, even in the last few years when the Mets were making the playoffs, I was not excited about the subway series the way I used to be. Back in its early days, the Mets were not good, but the subway series always brought excitement.

My memory is not as good as it once was, but I still recall one day walking in the street with my headphones on listening to the Yankees-Mets game on the radio. It was the bottom of the 9th and I am pretty sure it was Mariano Rivera on the mound for the Yankees.  Little-known Matt Franco gets a base hit into right field to beat the Yankees in a game. I jumped up in the air. A guy sitting in his car had the same reaction (pumps his fists, etc) and we both knew that we were responding to the same thing. People in the street must have thought I was nuts but I couldn't care less at that time. All I knew is that we got this improbable win against the Yankees.

Ahh. Those were the good days of the subway series.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a breakdown of what is going on in Baseball heading into August 15th. After tomorrow August is half over! Here is a look at teams that have a great shot or decent shot at making the Playoffs. Here you go Baseball junkies!

American League

East

RedSox 67-51 hold the 2 Seed

Yankees 62-55 (4.5 back) hold the 4 Seed WildCard spot

Central

Indians 64-52 hold the 3 Seed

Twins 59-57 (5 back) are .5 back of the final WildCard spot

Royals 60-58 (5 back) are .5 back of the final WildCard spot

West

Astros 72-46 hold the 1 Seed

Angels 61-58 (11.5 back) hold the 5 Seed WildCard spot

-Real interesting stuff going on in the AL. The WildCard race is a doozy and one to really watch. Yankees hold the 4 at 62-55 and the Angels hold the 5 at 61-58 but are just .5 ahead of the Twins and Royals. Astros despite struggling a bit lately have a firm grip on HFA in the AL.

National League

East

Nationals 70-46 hold the 2 Seed

Central

Cubs 62-55 hold the 3 Seed

Cards 61-57 (1.5 back)

Brewers 61-59 (2.5 back)

West

Dodgers 83-34 hold the 1 Seed

Rockies 66-52 (17.5 back) hold the 4 Seed WildCard spot/own tiebreak over D-Backs.

D-Backs 66-52 (17.5 back) hold the 5 Seed WildCard spot

-Cubs, Cards, and Brewers are all in a tight race to see who wins the NL Central, the winner of the Division will make the Playoffs as a 3 Seed. The Dodgers are in complete control of HFA throughout the NL Playoffs and World Series. So glad Baseball changed the HFA rule, the team with the best record gets HFA now in the WS. Had they not changed the rule an AL team would've got it.

-I hope these Seeds hold up actually, Yankees playing against Mike Trout would be very entertaining for a WildCard game in the AL. RedSox vs Indians would be an awesome series as well with the RedSox having HFA. In the NL, the Rockies vs D-Backs in a 1 game WildCard match couldn't get more entertaining. I am not sure who is better? Nationals vs Cubs would be an epic classic series assuming Bryce Harper gets healthy by the Playoffs. Nats would have HFA as well.

-Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks for the detailed summary, it is shaping up for some interesting playoff baseball

12 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Thanks for the detailed summary, it is shaping up for some interesting playoff baseball

Yeah Baseball is a great sport. It is the 3rd best sport at worse behind Football and Basketball. You just have to have patience to watch it. The Playoffs are the best though, so much dramatics go on in the Playoffs. As a Cubs fan these last 2 years have been real fun.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Baseball is a great sport. It is the 3rd best sport at worse behind Football and Basketball. You just have to have patience to watch it. The Playoffs are the best though, so much dramatics go on in the Playoffs. As a Cubs fan these last 2 years have been real fun.

Right... it is a long season and can definitely make you yawn early in the year.  I loved playing baseball and as far as being a fan I have to put it right behind football.  Being a wrestler I never really got into basketball, but I do enjoy March Madness even though Purdue usually bows out way ahead of their seed.

The NBA doesn't appeal to me other than when the Pacers are doing well.  I normally will watch the finals though..... I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem the same as when say Bird and Magic (or Jordan era) were playing... too commercialized maybe, idk.

25 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Right... it is a long season and can definitely make you yawn early in the year.  I loved playing baseball and as far as being a fan I have to put it right behind football.  Being a wrestler I never really got into basketball, but I do enjoy March Madness even though Purdue usually bows out way ahead of their seed.

The NBA doesn't appeal to me other than when the Pacers are doing well.  I normally will watch the finals though..... I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem the same as when say Bird and Magic (or Jordan era) were playing... too commercialized maybe, idk.

The Baseball Playoffs is better than the NBA Playoffs IMO.

43 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Cubs blow a chance to score with bases loaded in the 8th, score still 1-0 Reds. Cubs are being shutout by the team with probably the worst pitching in MLB. Yikes.

I just seen Cubs lost 2-1, they also had guys on 2nd and 3rd in the 9th Inning and couldn't get them across. That has been a big reason why the Cubs don't have a better record this season being they have had a lot of games where they leave tons of guys on base. They weren't doing that last season. Blew a great opportunity to go up 2.5 on the Cards, lead is still holds at 1.5.

Archived