Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

GG Y'all. Great series. Big win for the Nats. Matt wieters, where was this? Great game.

Cubs will be fine. Your sched softens up a bit I believe and I fully believe they're better than MIL, STL and the rest of the central. GL  the rest of the way.

Yeah I thought we had you but Edwards/our BullPen was too shaky to beat an Offense like the Nats have. The schedule does get better now but we still have to play the games. Nats have a nice chance to win the WS but they have been a threat for a while over the years. I am not sure anyone can beat the Dodgers?

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok the bright points as of the end of today:

Cubs are still in 1st place in the NL Central at 58-52, Brewers are 59-54 .5 back. Cards are still 3.5 back at 55-56. Cubs schedule gets much easier and we just have to win the Division to get in and be a 3 Seed.

And Contreras is ON :HFire:FIRE!!!!!!!!! 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok the bright points as of the end of today:

Cubs are still in 1st place in the NL Central at 58-52, Brewers are 59-54 .5 back. Cards are still 3.5 back at 55-56. Cubs schedule gets much easier and we just have to win the Division to get in and be a 3 Seed.

Lol don't curse your team Brother , those so called easy ones can be the hardest ones to win , because there is no pressure on the other team. :thmup:

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Another baseball death 

It is being reported that Don Baylor has passed away

Wow. One of the most respected ballplayers and managers. He seemed to be beloved in baseball. He died way too young -- 68.

Rest in peace.

Going to be an interesting offseason for the Cardinals who have all their starters under contract till at least 2020.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/goold-change-is-in-the-air-for-cards-even-if/article_45d45a25-6b7a-5a00-8754-456cf2099818.html

As the Cardinals exited this weekend, 3½ games back in the National League Central and at 55-56 still trying to roll their boulder up to .500, a need persists. The Cardinals have a top-six pitching staff, a top-five rotation, and the resurgent bullpen’s ERA (3.91 going into the weekend) ranked ninth in baseball. Contenders are forged from less pitching, and yet the Cardinals have spent at least 80 days with a losing record. Their arms can lift them only so high.

The Cardinals rank in the bottom third in runs and home runs. The lineup is quietest where the loudest hitters usually stand. Going into the weekend, the Cardinals had the lowest average in the majors (.218) at the No. 3 spot, and the lowest slugging percentage (.365) and the lowest OPS (.692), too.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Going to be an interesting offseason for the Cardinals who have all their starters under contract till at least 2020.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/goold-change-is-in-the-air-for-cards-even-if/article_45d45a25-6b7a-5a00-8754-456cf2099818.html

As the Cardinals exited this weekend, 3½ games back in the National League Central and at 55-56 still trying to roll their boulder up to .500, a need persists. The Cardinals have a top-six pitching staff, a top-five rotation, and the resurgent bullpen’s ERA (3.91 going into the weekend) ranked ninth in baseball. Contenders are forged from less pitching, and yet the Cardinals have spent at least 80 days with a losing record. Their arms can lift them only so high.

The Cardinals rank in the bottom third in runs and home runs. The lineup is quietest where the loudest hitters usually stand. Going into the weekend, the Cardinals had the lowest average in the majors (.218) at the No. 3 spot, and the lowest slugging percentage (.365) and the lowest OPS (.692), too.

:spit:

10 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

:spit:

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Lets say we look at your stats from the start or middle of June , your stats don't tell the story . Their hitting is fine , if the right lineup is stuck with . The weakness is still pitching its not glaring but we still need bullpen help and a Manager who knows when to make a move instead of indecision . Also his tinkering with lineups drive me up the wall .If a hot hitting player begs a days rest that's fine , otherwise leave him alone and let him play. I'm old school on this always will be , and especially this time of year. I love Matheny as a person and as a player , but have little tolerance for his many blunders in managing hes cost them as many as 12 to 15 games this year. Hard obstacle to overcome.Matt Carpenter needs a new home as well as Piscotty and Grichuck.

12 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lets say we look at your stats from the start or middle of June , your stats don't tell the story . Their hitting is fine , if the right lineup is stuck with . The weakness is still pitching its not glaring but we still need bullpen help and a Manager who knows when to make a move instead of indecision . Also his tinkering with lineups drive me up the wall .If a hot hitting player begs a days rest that's fine , otherwise leave him alone and let him play. I'm old school on this always will be , and especially this time of year. I love Matheny as a person and as a player , but have little tolerance for his many blunders in managing hes cost them as many as 12 to 15 games this year. Hard obstacle to overcome.Matt Carpenter needs a new home as well as Piscotty and Grichuck.

Not my stats.   They are from the link.    I should have italicized the copied part.   My bad. 

Are these stats not accurate?

The Cardinals have a top-six pitching staff, a top-five rotation, and the resurgent bullpen’s ERA (3.91 going into the weekend) ranked ninth in baseball.

The Cardinals rank in the bottom third in runs and home runs.  Going into the weekend, the Cardinals had the lowest average in the majors (.218) at the No. 3 spot, and the lowest slugging percentage (.365) and the lowest OPS (.692), too.

I agree that the offense has been clicking at times.   This article was just focusing on what may happen in the off season.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not my stats.   They are from the link.    I should have italicized the copied part.   My bad. 

Are these stats not accurate?

The Cardinals have a top-six pitching staff, a top-five rotation, and the resurgent bullpen’s ERA (3.91 going into the weekend) ranked ninth in baseball.

The Cardinals rank in the bottom third in runs and home runs.  Going into the weekend, the Cardinals had the lowest average in the majors (.218) at the No. 3 spot, and the lowest slugging percentage (.365) and the lowest OPS (.692), too.

I agree that the offense has been clicking at times.   This article was just focusing on what may happen in the off season.

Ok lol stats may not tell the whole story , I have a hard time believing some of them , I don't believe we are a top six pitching overall., could be with an addition or 2 to the pen. I also question Waino's  health right now. I'm serious about the 3 I mentioned , we need to be aggressive in winter meetings and replace Matheny , there are many in St Louis calling for his departure as well. Also question bottom 3rd in HR's . The runs might be right because of the very slow start.

To me those 2 must be starters every game along with Gyrko , and Wong lol thought id never be saying that. I move Molina to first and Kelley does bulk of catching. Carpenter has been an under achiever the last 2 years time to move on.

16 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol don't curse your team Brother , those so called easy ones can be the hardest ones to win , because there is no pressure on the other team. :thmup:

Yeah I know I was thinking the same thing. This season has been a strange one. Right when I think the schedule gets easier we still lose lmao 

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Ok lol stats may not tell the whole story , I have a hard time believing some of them , I don't believe we are a top six pitching overall., could be with an addition or 2 to the pen. I also question Waino's  health right now. I'm serious about the 3 I mentioned , we need to be aggressive in winter meetings and replace Matheny , there are many in St Louis calling for his departure as well. Also question bottom 3rd in HR's . The runs might be right because of the very slow start.

Yeah, I didn't do any fact checking on the stats they used.   Sometimes you just gotta trust.    I did question the pitching numbers a little.   I think they used ERA for the pitching as the Cardinals have the 6th lowest ERA in the league.   9th in opponents batting average. 

Batting they are 13th in average and 22 in HR's.   

I wouldn't mind Matheny going.  

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I didn't do any fact checking on the stats they used.   Sometimes you just gotta trust.    I did question the pitching numbers a little.   I think they used ERA for the pitching as the Cardinals have the 6th lowest ERA in the league.   9th in opponents batting average. 

Batting they are 13th in average and 22 in HR's.   

I wouldn't mind Matheny going.  

Sometimes Stats can be misleading, I find it hard to believe the Cubs have the 5th best BullPen in the league. I have watched almost every game and have seen Carl Edwards blow at least 2 or 3 games, Strop as well, same for Wade Davis. Davis is supposed to be automatic and he hasn't even been lately.

The Cards really gave the Royals a shellacking last night 11 - 3 lets see if they keep it up and close ground. As long as Cubs keep winning we all know that wont happen . Still a lot of baseball to be played . Wacha goes tonight over last 2 months arguably the best or top 2 or 3 in the game . Seems a different pitcher confidence wise since he found that nice breaking ball to go with the FB and change . Other than being hurt this is how dominant I expected him to be all along . If Reyes recovers from Tommy John which all indication is he is. That will give them 3 young studs in their rotation next year. 7 games vs the Cubs in September , will it come down to that ? I cant answer but it sure would make it interesting and a lot of fun.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

The Cards really gave the Royals a shellacking last night 11 - 3 lets see if they keep it up and close ground. As long as Cubs keep winning we all know that wont happen . Still a lot of baseball to be played . Wacha goes tonight over last 2 months arguably the best or top 2 or 3 in the game . Seems a different pitcher confidence wise since he found that nice breaking ball to go with the FB and change . Other than being hurt this is how dominant I expected him to be all along . If Reyes recovers from Tommy John which all indication is he is. That will give them 3 young studs in their rotation next year. 7 games vs the Cubs in September , will it come down to that ? I cant answer but it sure would make it interesting and a lot of fun.

I think it will come down to that.   I think the Cards need to win 5/7.    It can happen.   Hopefully we can get to within 1.5 before those games and we only need 4/7 or so.  

Should be a good final month or 2.

Archived