Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me as far as accomplishments are concerned, the trifecta would be winning Rookie of the Year, winning League MVP, and being on a team where you were a main cog/reason for a winning a WS (got that ring). Kris Bryant has done all 3 already. He could retire tomorrow and be considered in the great category. Of course not HOFame material because he doesn't have the numbers yet, still a young player.

I'm trying to be optimistic on the Cardinals chance of making the post season in 2020.  It's tough though.  Losing Ozuna stinks.   They haven't really added much.  The Cardinals have been resilient in the past, so I have hope for 2020.

I expect the division to be even tougher than 2019.

My guess at this point:

Cubs - 91-71

Reds - 86-76

Cardinals - 85-77

Brewers - 80-82

Pirates - 71-91

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm trying to be optimistic on the Cardinals chance of making the post season in 2020.  It's tough though.  Losing Ozuna stinks.   They haven't really added much.  The Cardinals have been resilient in the past, so I have hope for 2020.

I expect the division to be even tougher than 2019.

My guess at this point:

Cubs - 91-71

Reds - 86-76

Cardinals - 85-77

Brewers - 80-82

Pirates - 71-91

It is still too early to predict but I hate to say as of now I have it:

Cards 90-72

Brewers 88-74

Cubs 82-80

Reds 81-81

Pirates 73-89

-Cubs need to find a way to keep Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras and add an Ace pitcher somehow, otherwise we will be around .500 IMO. We already lost Hamels. I still see the Cards being the best in the division. I picked them to win the division even last season if you guys remember. To me the Cubs were better on paper on last season than they look now.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is still too early to predict but I hate to say as of now I have it:

Cards 90-72

Brewers 88-74

Cubs 82-80

Reds 81-81

Pirates 73-89

-Cubs need to find a way to keep Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras and add an Ace pitcher somehow, otherwise we will be around .500 IMO. We already lost Hamels. I still see the Cards being the best in the division. I picked them to win the division even last season if you guys remember. To me the Cubs were better on paper on last season than they look now.

Well, I hope your prediction comes true!

Cubs are still very good and maybe a new manager will turn things around for them.  They do need an ace, but so do the Brewers.  Not sure Brewers pitching is good enough for 2nd place on the Central.

I expect the Reds to improve, Pirates stay about the same.

11 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, I hope your prediction comes true!

Cubs are still very good and maybe a new manager will turn things around for them.  They do need an ace, but so do the Brewers.  Not sure Brewers pitching is good enough for 2nd place on the Central.

I expect the Reds to improve, Pirates stay about the same.

Yeah Reds were 75-87 last season, I see them improving to being .500. I see the Cards, Brewers, and Cubs about the same as last year as of now. Cubs have made no big moves so far.

The Reds have been the most active over the winter.  I live in Louisville, home of the AAA affiliate of the Reds, so there's always been a lot of Reds fans in this area.  We're just 100 miles from Cincinnati.

Hope they can improve...very loyal fans and they haven't had much to cheer for in a long time.

Whichever team can avoid major injuries and have a player or two perform above their usual level may be the one to win the division.

After last season, the Cubs have to prove it to me now whether or not they can be the team they were from 2015-2018. I do not expect 103 wins and a WS win like in 2016 lol but 90 wins should be the goal with the lineup we have. Without an ACE pitcher I don't see it though, I see us around .500 without an ACE. Darvish may be good but he isn't an ACE, Lester and Hendricks are in the same boat IMO. Lester was an ACE 3 years ago. The Cubs bullpen is inconsistent as hell too. Maybe David Ross will be a breath of fresh air as manager, that by itself may help the team. Maddon was great but wore out his welcome.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After last season, the Cubs have to prove it to me now whether or not they can be the team they were from 2015-2018. I do not expect 103 wins and a WS win like in 2016 lol but 90 wins should be the goal with the lineup we have. Without an ACE pitcher I don't see it though, I see us around .500 without an ACE. Darvish may be good but he isn't an ACE, Lester and Hendricks are in the same boat IMO. Lester was an ACE 3 years ago. The Cubs bullpen is inconsistent as hell too. Maybe David Ross will be a breath of fresh air as manager, that by itself may help the team. Maddon was great but wore out his welcome.

Good point, and as a Cardinals fan, I hope they never get that ace!

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

John Antobelli, a well known basketball coach, also died in the crash that killed Kobe. I read that he coached Aaron Judge and Mets player Jeff McNeil. His wife and daughter also died in the crash. Very sad all around. 

Rest in peace. 

Link: John Altobelli, a baseball coach for 27 years at Orange Coast College

That was supposed to say "baseball coach", not basketball coach.

Reds sign Castellanos...they have been very busy this winter!  That's the second player they've signed from a division opponent (Moose from the Brewers).

Some are speculating they can now package one or more of their surplus of OFers with others to trade for Lindor?  If they can pull that off, then they instantly become the favorites to win the NL Central.

But, as it stands now, they've certainly gotten themselves into the divisional championship conversation, which hasn't been the case for several years.

8 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Reds sign Castellanos...they have been very busy this winter!  That's the second player they've signed from a division opponent (Moose from the Brewers).

Some are speculating they can now package one or more of their surplus of OFers with others to trade for Lindor?  If they can pull that off, then they instantly become the favorites to win the NL Central.

But, as it stands now, they've certainly gotten themselves into the divisional championship conversation, which hasn't been the case for several years.

Unreal. I am NOT a big fan of what Theo has done so far this offseason. I know money is tight, but letting Castellanos go is a huge mistake. Congratulations, the kid is a STUD, you’ll love him. Big bat and a hustler.

Un FREAKING real.

17 hours ago, HOZER said:

Unreal. I am NOT a big fan of what Theo has done so far this offseason. I know money is tight, but letting Castellanos go is a huge mistake. Congratulations, the kid is a STUD, you’ll love him. Big bat and a hustler.

Un FREAKING real.

Well, my Cardinals have been very stagnant, too.  They were ready to play Ozuna around $16 million per to re-sign, but he goes to Atlanta.  Then they say they don't want to spend money on a left handed bat.  What about that 16 or so million you were ready to spend?  Geez...just raise the price of a Bud at the game by 50 cents and you'll make 16 million in a month!

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, my Cardinals have been very stagnant, too.  They were ready to play Ozuna around $16 million per to re-sign, but he goes to Atlanta.  Then they say they don't want to spend money on a left handed bat.  What about that 16 or so million you were ready to spend?  Geez...just raise the price of a Bud at the game by 50 cents and you'll make 16 million in a month!

Cubs haven't done squat this offseason and have got worse by letting Hamels and Castellanos go. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs haven't done squat this offseason and have got worse by letting Hamels and Castellanos go. 

Well, outside of the Pirates...all the other teams have a shot at the divisional title, which is probably the only way a team from the NL Central will make the playoffs.

NL East is very strong and the D-Backs have improved enough to be a wild card, since LA will win that weak division again in 2020.

12 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Astros hire Dusty Baker to manage the team in 2020 with a club option for 2021.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28594178/astros-hire-dusty-baker-short-term-deal-new-manager

Interesting 1 year deal.  He's been accused of ruining young pitchers by using them too much (Kerry Wood and Mark Prior).  He's certainly been handed the most talented team he's had to manage from day one, so we'll see what happens.

I think this hiring was an effort to bring some stability and "character" to the organization.  Dusty is a stand up guy and his highly respected.

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

Interesting 1 year deal.  He's been accused of ruining young pitchers by using them too much.  he's certainly been handed the most talented team he's had to manage from day one, so we'll see what happens.

I think this hiring was an effort to bring some stability and "character" to the organization.  Dusty is a stand up guy and his highly respected.

I heard someone on the radio this morning compare him to Karl Malone going to the Lakers trying one last time to get a ring. They needed to hire someone to help take the focus off of the sign stealing scandal, and I think Dusty does that. I am a little surprised he took just a 1 year deal, but I guess that is better than sitting at home.

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I heard someone on the radio this morning compare him to Karl Malone going to the Lakers trying one last time to get a ring. They needed to hire someone to help take the focus off of the sign stealing scandal, and I think Dusty does that. I am a little surprised he took just a 1 year deal, but I guess that is better than sitting at home.

The Mailman didn't deliver that season, Baker probably won't either but I think it is a good hire for the Astros.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Mailman didn't deliver that season, Baker probably won't either but I think it is a good hire for the Astros.

It will be tough for the Astros to win it all. With Cole joining the Yankees, they will be even better than last year. Also the Astros are going to go from being a team that had never won it to being the "villians" of MLB. I wouldn't be shocked if they had a drop off this season with all of the distractions they've had. That is probably another big reason they brought Dusty in to help keep this season from going off the rails.

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It will be tough for the Astros to win it all. With Cole joining the Yankees, they will be even better than last year. Also the Astros are going to go from being a team that had never won it to being the "villians" of MLB. I wouldn't be shocked if they had a drop off this season with all of the distractions they've had. That is probably another big reason they brought Dusty in to help keep this season from going off the rails.

I agree. On paper the Yankees look unreal. It will be tough for anyone to beat them.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It appears that Kris Bryant is going to lose his appeal on his years of service grievance with the Cubs. Will the Cubs trade him? Should they trade him?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28591795/will-cubs-trade-now-took-long-kris-bryant-losing-grievance-means

I don't know how his contract is.  Someone told me the Cubs could option him through 2021.   If that's the case, they could demand allot for him in a trade.   It doesn't sound like he'll be a Cub long term.  What a bummer for both sides.  

6 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It appears that Kris Bryant is going to lose his appeal on his years of service grievance with the Cubs. Will the Cubs trade him? Should they trade him?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28591795/will-cubs-trade-now-took-long-kris-bryant-losing-grievance-means

I hope we do not trade him, if we do we better get not only an ACE Pitcher in his prime but a young good prospect. Bryant is a former League MVP so if Theo trades him he should be able to get great return. Bote isn't as good as Bryant but he is good, he would probably take over at 3rd if Bryant gets traded.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't know how his contract is.  Someone told me the Cubs could option him through 2021.   If that's the case, they could demand allot for him in a trade.   It doesn't sound like he'll be a Cub long term.  What a bummer for both sides.  

Bryant isn't a UFA until 2022 and just signed a 1 year deal for 18.6 mill in 2020. Cubs will have him at least for this season at worse unless they trade him.

The Dodgers trade for Mookie Betts and David Price. The Dodgers have so much talent in the majors. Did they need more?!

I wish the Mets would trade for a guy like Betts who is still young and productive, as opposed to older guys like Cano.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

The Dodgers trade for Mookie Betts and David Price. The Dodgers have so much talent in the majors. Did they need more?!

I wish the Mets would trade for a guy like Betts who is still young and productive, as opposed to older guys like Cano.

Mookie Betts is arguably the best player in baseball. Red Sox are now not only cheaters, they are stupid too homer simpson laughing GIF

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the MLB stepped in and blocked this trade. That is insanely one sided. What are the Red Sox doing?

Betts is a free agent after this coming season. There must be a reason why Boston would not re-sign him. 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, I don't understand it. We will learn more in the coming days. 

It's a 3 team deal...Dodgers send Kenta Maeda to the Twins.  Appears the Red Sox didn't get much in return for Betts and Price, and I agree it's one-sided in LA's favor.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/red-sox-trade-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers.html

The Dodgers then trade Joc Peterson to the Angels.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/angels-to-acquire-joc-pederson.html

The Dodgers add more weapons and seemingly have unlimited money to pay players.  The luxury tax has no effect on them, so that so-called balancing of baseball markets isn't working.

Smaller market teams just can't compete with that, and eventually, the big market teams who overspend, then have to clean house to get rid of high paid players they can no longer afford.

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

It's a 3 team deal...Dodgers send Kenta Maeda to the Twins.  Appears the Red Sox didn't get much in return for Betts and Price, and I agree it's one-sided in LA's favor.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/red-sox-trade-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers.html

The Dodgers then trade Joc Peterson to the Angels.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/angels-to-acquire-joc-pederson.html

The Dodgers add more weapons and seemingly have unlimited money to pay players.  The luxury tax has no effect on them, so that so-called balancing of baseball markets isn't working.

Smaller market teams just can't compete with that, and eventually, the big market teams who overspend, then have to clean house to get rid of high paid players they can no longer afford.

Still have to play the games but on paper the Dodgers look unreal now. So do the Yankees. It looks like those 2 teams and everyone else. I am just thankful that the Cubs won their 1 WS in 2016 and did it the right way. They may never get back there.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Still have to play the games but on paper the Dodgers look unreal now. So do the Yankees. It looks like those 2 teams and everyone else. I am just thankful that the Cubs won their 1 WS in 2016 and did it the right way. They may never get back there.

True...they both looked great on paper last year, but we know what happened in the end.

54 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

True...they both looked great on paper last year, but we know what happened in the end.

Yeah baseball is the one sport where huge underdogs can win once they get into the playoffs. It happens quite often. I think it is because no 1 player can control a game like in basketball or in football where the QB has a lot of control. So many things can happen in a baseball game, like lucky bloop singles to score runs, silly error's at times by any 1 player, etc..

Archived