Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

World Champs win! Cubs now 56-48 on the season and take a 2.5 game lead over the Brew Crew, currently also 5 ahead of the Cards. I think last night's game was the back breaker for the Brew Crew. There are certain games in a season where you can kind of point too and last night winning that game in extra Innings was huge for the Cubs. Took 2 out of 3 in Milwaukee! Going into the last day of July the Cubs have a 2.5 game lead in the NL Central, I will take that all day. This has been a fun 3 year stretch to be a Cubs fan. NLCS appearance in 2015, WS Champion in 2016 + winning 103 games, and now 2.5 game Division lead in 2017 going into the last day of July. As a long suffering Cubs fan since 1984 I am enjoying this 3 year run.

IMG_0524.JPG

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Gozer, everyone knows we are coming now. Dodgers and Nats both are really good, Dodgers are having a sensational season and may end up beating our record from last season which was 103-58. I still think we can beat either one of them though. Our lineup has Championship experience now, pressure is off because of that. Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Contreras, Baez, KyleS all will be ready for the Playoffs. So will Big Jake, Lester, Lackey, and Hendricks. Wade Davis was a good replacement for Chap. He isn't Chap but he is solid. Astros may not even make it to the WS as the AL has several teams that can could get in. My pick before the season was Cubs over RedSox in 7. The World Champs are at least defending their Title pretty good now, it looked bad early but when you have a million people patting you on the back you tend get fat and sassy lmao.

22 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Curious as to why Happ hasn't played last few days? Might he be getting traded?

No, he isn't going anywhere IMO. Not sure what is going on there. Just Maddon being Maddon = Mad Scientist experimenting with the lineup. I am feeling real confident right now about our Repeat chances. 2 reasons - 1. We know how to win now in big situations because of last season, 2. There will be no pressure on us to win the WS because we won last season and the Dodgers will be huge favorites with HFA.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No, he isn't going anywhere IMO. Not sure what is going on there. Just Maddon being Maddon = Mad Scientist experimenting with the lineup. I am feeling real confident right now about our Repeat chances. 2 reasons - 1. We know how to win now in big situations because of last season, 2. There will be no pressure on us to win the WS because we won last season and the Dodgers will be huge favorites with HFA.

3. We have Kris Bryant, Jake, and Anthony Rizzo.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

After the pickup of Wilson and Avila I think the Cubs are through

Report says 2 cubs prospects are part of the deal for Avila/Wilson and a player to be named later or cash....

A look at the Cubs 3 season run of greatness!

2015 = 97-65, won WildCard game at Pittsburgh, beat the St. Louis Cards 3-1 in Divisional Round, but lost to the NY Mets in the NLCS 4-0 - still made the Final 4. That season Jake Arrieta won the Cy Young, Kris Bryant won Rookie of the Year, and Joe Maddon won Manager of the Year.

2016 = 103-58, beat the SF Giants 3-1 in Divisional Round, beat LA Dodgers 4-2 in the NLCS, beat Cleveland Indians 4-3 in the World Series. That season Kris Bryant won NL MVP of the League, Ben Zobrist won World Series MVP, and the Cubs became only the 2nd team in World Series history to win Game 6 and Game 7 on the road after being down 3-1 to win it all. Their 103-58 Regular Season record is the best record for a World Series Champion since the 1998 NY Yankees record of 114-48.

2017 = So far 56-48, NL Central Division lead by 2.5 games as July is coming to an end = a 3rd Seed as of now in the NL.

-Overall results:

2015 = 97-65, Playoffs 4-5

2016 = 103-58, Playoffs 11-6

2017 = 56-48 so far, 2.5 game Division lead :thmup:

Totals = 256-171 (60%), Playoffs 15-11 (57.7%)

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am with you now brother, I had 2 long days at work. Time to party now and enjoy my Cubs. Colts are back at as well.

I don't know how many I had yesterday at the Colts practice (great time), but by the way I feel today it was too many.  I slept most of the way home, lol.

5 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I don't know how many I had yesterday at the Colts practice (great time), but by the way I feel today it was too many.  I slept most of the way home, lol.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am with you now brother, I had 2 long days at work. Time to party now and enjoy my Cubs. Colts are back at as well.

Not only am I younger than almost everyone here it appears that I am a TeaTotaler too

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not only am I younger than almost everyone here it appears that I am a TeaTotaler too

Nothing wrong with that. I don't smoke and have never did drugs, I do have a drink or 2 when I am off work and at home just to relax. It's legal and I don't drink and drive. Everyone has their own thing. Some people love smoking Pot and swear Alcohol is worse for you, that is their thing. When I used to run everyday and stayed in great shape I only drink once a week. Now I work a lot, get stressed out so it is what it is.

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Dang. Gio Gonzalez riding a no hitter to the ninth and then the first batter of the inning got a base hit. Ah well, so close. Got a standing O....by the Marlin crowd. Sucks he couldn't get it but a great performance.

And a great game. That was intense. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nothing wrong with that. I don't smoke and have never did drugs, I do have a drink or 2 when I am off work and at home just to relax. It's legal and I don't drink and drive. Everyone has their own thing. Some people love smoking Pot and swear Alcohol is worse for you, that is their thing. When I used to run everyday and stayed in great shape I only drink once a week. Now I work a lot, get stressed out so it is what it is.

Even if I wanted to I couldn't 

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Dang. Gio Gonzalez riding a no hitter to the ninth and then the first batter of the inning got a base hit. Ah well, so close. Got a standing O....by the Marlin crowd. Sucks he couldn't get it but a great performance.

And a great game. That was intense. 

Yeah 1-0 Nats win, almost a no-hitter. I am watching the RedSox destroy Cleveland right now. 6-0.

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

27 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Even if I wanted to I couldn't 

I don't think you're missing too much. I can have a drink once in a while but I am fine without one. Last night I had water the entire time at the 6 hour concert. (It was an absolute blast, btw :D) My sister had 3 beers. That is too many. I told her to stop. Big sister has to watch over little sister.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I don't think you're not missing too much. I can have a drink once in a while but I am fine without one. Last night I had water the entire time at the 6 hour concert. (It was an absolute blast, btw :D.) My sister had 3 beers. That is too many. I told her to stop. Big sister has to watch over little sister.

3 beers isn't nothing :violin:. As I am getting older I probably will quit all together. I usually just drink in moderation now anyway - 2 or 3 times a week. A strong drink or 2 relaxes me and I am good but it is still bad for you.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think you're missing too much. I can have a drink once in a while but I am fine without one. Last night I had water the entire time at the 6 hour concert. (It was an absolute blast, btw :D) My sister had 3 beers. That is too many. I told her to stop. Big sister has to watch over little sister.

If she's not driving, 3 beers isn't too many, assuming she is of age.   I hope you are not the nagging Big sister.  

7 hours ago, Myles said:

If she's not driving, 3 beers isn't too many, assuming she is of age.   I hope you are not the nagging Big sister.  

A lot of people don't drink so maybe to NFLfan 3 beers is a lot but to people that like to drink and let loose when they go out, 3 beers is nothing. To me even a 6 pack isn't a lot. Most of my friends that come over on Sunday's and watch Football can actually drink a 12 pack LOL. If it's Lite beer to me 5 or 6 is moderation if you only drink once or twice a week. In my life I have been in different mindsets, when I trained for the mini marathon years ago I didn't drink at all for like 3 months. If I was to get back in shape now, I would only do it once a week just to get my mind off of things and let loose a little. I still really only drink 2 or 3 times a week and that is when I get off work. I am getting older now so I may quit all together when I turn 50. I always have said you have to enjoy life a little and let loose, if you don't you will be miserable. I remember when I trained for the mini marathon, I went out a couple of times and just drink water, my friends were getting hammered. I really didn't even have any fun and they were laughing it up.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people don't drink so maybe to NFLfan 3 beers is a lot but to people that like to drink and let loose when they go out, 3 beers is nothing. To me even a 6 pack isn't a lot. Most of my friends that come over on Sunday's and watch Football can actually drink a 12 pack LOL. If it's Lite beer to me 5 or 6 is moderation if you only drink once or twice a week. In my life I have been in different mindsets, when I trained for the mini marathon years ago I didn't drink at all for like 3 months. If I was to get back in shape now, I would only do it once a week just to get my mind off of things and let loose a little. I still really only drink 2 or 3 times a week and that is when I get off work. I am getting older now so I may quit all together when I turn 50. I always have said you have to enjoy life a little and let loose, if you don't you will be miserable. I remember when I trained for the mini marathon, I went out a couple of times and just drink water, my friends were getting hammered. I really didn't even have any fun and they were laughing it up.

I agree.     But 3 beers in 6 hours is not even close to being too much.   A 6 hour concert if I wasn't driving could be 12 or more beers.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.     But 3 beers in 6 hours is not even close to being too much.   A 6 hour concert if I wasn't driving could be 12 or more beers.  

At a 6 hour concert if I wasn't driving I would definitely down a 6 pack with ease, maybe more depending on the atmosphere and how much fun I was having. 3 beers wouldn't even give me a buzz. That is assuming it's Lite beer like Miller or Bud Lite?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had a blast at the concert and I drank only water. One does not need to drink alcohol to have a great time. Almost wherever I go, I have a good time. It is a mindset. It is rare for me to go somewhere and not have a great time. I drink sometimes but not often.

Now, my friends drink and it is fine. On Friday I am going out with three friends. One of them often has at least 6 beers whenever we hang out. She gets these huge mugs of beer. Another friend is worse. Whenever he goes out with us, he is buying drinks for everyone (sometimes groups of 8 of us or more). When I tell him I will have only one drink, he seems so disappointed. He does what Myles does -- drink like 12 beers. I worry for his safety. We always make sure someone takes him home. 

Anyway, what is going on in baseball? :)

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I had a blast at the concert and I drank only water. One does not need to drink alcohol to have a great time. Almost wherever I go, I have a good time. It is a mindset. It is rare for me to go somewhere and not have a great time. I drink sometimes but not often.

Now, my friends drink and it is fine. On Friday I am going out with three friends. One of them often has at least 6 beers whenever we hang out. She gets these huge mugs of beer. Another friend is worse. Whenever he goes out with us, he is buying drinks for everyone (sometimes groups of 8 of us or more). When I tell him I will have only one drink, he seems so disappointed. He does what Myles does -- drink like 12 beers. I worry for his safety. We always make sure someone takes him home. 

Yeah 12 is a lot if you are out in a public setting. I can maintain pretty well at 6, maybe 7 but then I go to water at that point. It usually takes me 3 or 4 beers if it is lite Beer to even feel anything. I have always been like that for some reason. When I get in my mindsets of not wanting to drink at all, I don't even go out because I cant be around 3 or 4 friends getting hammered having a goodtime and I am just sitting there not partying. I just feel out of place. I get what you are saying though. What is going on in Baseball - Cubs are going on, up 2.5 games over the mighty BrewCrew. Dodgers now have the greatest team assembled as well according to the media. They got Darvish.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Now, my friends drink and it is fine. On Friday I am going out with three friends. One of them often has at least 6 beers whenever we hang out. She gets these huge mugs of beer. Another friend is worse. Whenever he goes out withus, he is buying drinks for everyone (sometimes group of 8 of us or more). When I tell him I will have only one drink, he seems so disappointed. He does what Myles does -- drink like 12 beers. I worry for his safety. We always make sure someone takes him home.

Wow

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The amount your friends drink

I have friends that can drink 12 Bud Lights and act normal. I can drink a 6 pack and be ok. Anymore I just drink a couple of strong Crown Royals on ice and call it a night in the comforts of my own home, 2 or 3 times a week. That is basically a Pint. Beer makes me pee too much :lol:

Archived