Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank God for Theo! I waited 32 years for that Championship since I have been a fan. 1984 was sad, so was 2003. Finally a Championship in my lifetime. Lets see if they can add to it. Maybe they will, maybe they wont but the ride is going to be interesting.

Well I'm a Cards fan first , but have been a Cubs follower as well starting in around 1965. Actually 64 on Cards

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was announced on the radio that the Braves traded for Reds 2B Brandon Phillips. He has a no-trade clause and had declined a trade to the Braves in the past. Let's see if he agrees to the trade this time.

 

I always liked Phillips. The guy I want from the Reds is the SS Zach Cozart but it seems the Mets are set at SS. Can the Reds take Bruce back?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Well I'm a Cards fan first , but have been a Cubs follower as well starting in around 1965. Actually 64 on Cards

 

Yeah you have a few years on me, I started following the Cubs in 1984 as you already know and heartbreak ensued my 1st year liking them LOL. As a fan following them I have had many heartbreaks with them as 2003 was another major one. So 2016 was a feeling like I have never felt in sports before, for me it was pretty equal to when the Colts beat the Pats in 2006 then went on to win the SB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is just being reported by ESPN that the Reds are trading Brandon Phillips to the Braves

Great move by the Braves, Phillips is older but still a Very Good player. He probably has 2 or 3 more solid years left in him IMO. Yes Phillips agreed to it and it is official, he is a Brave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great move by the Braves, Phillips is older but still a Very Good player. He probably has 2 or 3 more solid years left in him IMO. Yes Phillips agreed to it and it is official, he is a Brave.

Looks like the Reds are rebuilding again

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Looks like the Reds are rebuilding again

Yeah looks like it. They are a long ways from being good. I have a few friends that are Reds fans and they are fed up with the organization. Here in Indy most people are either Cubs or Reds fans because we don't have a pro team, thankfully I chose the Cubs years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Cards received bad news yesterday with the Alex Reyes injury

Yeah that is bad news. A big blow to the Cards. Injuries are such a huge part of the game and can derail teams which is why it's tough to make before season picks on who may win it all. When the Cubs lost Kyle S last season it was bad, how he came back for the Playoffs was a miracle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Cards received bad news yesterday with the Alex Reyes injury

 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is bad news. A big blow to the Cards. Injuries are such a huge part of the game and can derail teams which is why it's tough to make before season picks on who may win it all. When the Cubs lost Kyle S last season it was bad, how he came back for the Playoffs was a miracle.

 

What is the injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tommy John surgery, out for the season. So it's his arm.

 

Thank you. Yeah, that is bad news. I am used to news like this.  It seems that every Mets pitcher has had Tommy John surgery.

 

Hoping for the best for Reyes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Thank you. Yeah, that is bad news. I am used to news like this.  It seems that every Mets pitcher has had Tommy John surgery.

 

Hoping for the best for Reyes.

Yeah a Pitchers arm can be a tricky thing. Some times guys can last for years and others cant. I wonder how much longer Jake Arrieta can be dominant. He started to struggle a bit last season at times as the season wore on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah a Pitchers arm can be a tricky thing. Some times guys can last for years and others cant. I wonder how much longer Jake Arrieta can be dominant. He started to struggle a bit last season at times as the season wore on.

 

Has he had this type of surgery yet? It seems like most pitchers are having it now. Or perhaps it is just the Mets pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Has he had this type of surgery yet? It seems like most pitchers are having it now. Or perhaps it is just the Mets pitchers.

To my knowledge he hasn't. He has pretty much been healthy with the Cubs. He wasn't that successful with the Orioles that I do know but I don't think he was ever injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tommy John surgery, out for the season. So it's his arm.

 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To my knowledge he hasn't. He has pretty much been healthy with the Cubs. He wasn't that successful with the Orioles that I do know but I don't think he was ever injured.

 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah a Pitchers arm can be a tricky thing. Some times guys can last for years and others cant. I wonder how much longer Jake Arrieta can be dominant. He started to struggle a bit last season at times as the season wore on.

Thanks for the catch I was away from the computer

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes always bad news , he was going to battle for the fith spot in rotation with Wacha , said he had tendon problem around his elbow since 2013 , my question why did they wait ? They will still have a very good rotation , I'm not worried barring more injury.     http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article/216081568/michael-wacha-poised-to-rejoin-cards-rotation/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Has he had this type of surgery yet? It seems like most pitchers are having it now. Or perhaps it is just the Mets pitchers.

No he hasn't hes young not positive but thinking 20

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!!!

 

You all may know, but Tommy John surgery is so routine these days that kids in High School and college have had it done.  This does baffle me somewhat.

 

My daughters friend plays baseball at Stanford, an his season ended last season...for Tommy John Surgery.  He was set to be drafted.  MLB will have to wait for this young man.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Hello everyone!!!

 

You all may know, but Tommy John surgery is so routine these days that kids in High School and college have had it done.  This does baffle me somewhat.

 

My daughters friend plays baseball at Stanford, an his season ended last season...for Tommy John Surgery.  He was set to be drafted.  MLB will have to wait for this young man.

What's up Brent, cant wait for Baseball. It's right around the corner. Go Cubs!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What's up Brent, cant wait for Baseball. It's right around the corner. Go Cubs!

Not much really.  RG and I have had some health issues, but we are still out and about.  Went to Pacers game last night.  We were lucky to get tickets to a suite.  First time for me at a Pacers game.

 

Just really studying the teams more in depth in baseball.  It looks to be a tremendous year once again. 

 

Don't you guys count out the Mets.  With that pitching, they will win several 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.  They do need a spark besides Cespedes.

 

Reds look to reek of Minor league dugouts once again. Traded Philips to get a look at Peraza full time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's up you guys? Doing some mock drafts in fantasy baseball. Already did a league and got Trout and Mookie with some other solid players. It's too bad what happened to Alex Reyes, but there are always a few. Can't wait til spring training!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrentMc11 said:

Not much really.  RG and I have had some health issues, but we are still out and about.  Went to Pacers game last night.  We were lucky to get tickets to a suite.  First time for me at a Pacers game.

 

Just really studying the teams more in depth in baseball.  It looks to be a tremendous year once again. 

 

Don't you guys count out the Mets.  With that pitching, they will win several 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.  They do need a spark besides Cespedes.

 

Reds look to reek of Minor league dugouts once again. Traded Philips to get a look at Peraza full time.

Yeah the Pacers are struggling again unfortunately, not looking good. It will be the Cavs/Warriors anyway so it's a forgone conclusion. Football is over so I am really looking forward to Baseball. Baseball is a sport where it is really difficult to Repeat and every season you have usually around 10 teams that can win it all going in. Makes it interesting to follow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Pacers are struggling again unfortunately, not looking good. It will be the Cavs/Warriors anyway so it's a forgone conclusion. Football is over so I am really looking forward to Baseball. Baseball is a sport where it is really difficult to Repeat and every season you have usually around 10 teams that can win it all going in. Makes it interesting to follow.

Fantasy-wise I play more baseball and am better at it than football. The one caveat with baseball is no salary cap, and the luxury tax isn't a good solution IMO. I will be following the Braves and seeing how their major league team and farm system does. Completely the opposite of the cubs, build around great pitching instead of great hitting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What's up you guys? Doing some mock drafts in fantasy baseball. Already did a league and got Trout and Mookie with some other solid players. It's too bad what happened to Alex Reyes, but there are always a few. Can't wait til spring training!

Spring training is HERE!!! :)  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Fantasy-wise I play more baseball and am better at it than football. The one caveat with baseball is no salary cap, and the luxury tax isn't a good solution IMO. I will be following the Braves and seeing how their major league team and farm system does. Completely the opposite of the cubs, build around great pitching instead of great hitting.

Braves just picked up Phillips, to me that was a solid move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Braves just picked up Phillips, to me that was a solid move.

They traded for him. A couple of nobodies lol. Sean Rodriguez got in a car crash and injured his shoulder. Phillips is basically useless, just a filler for a year. But he's serviceable, and we pay his $14 million dollar contract to get his services for 1 year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They traded for him. A couple of nobodies lol. Sean Rodriguez got in a car crash and injured his shoulder. Phillips is basically useless, just a filler for a year. But he's serviceable, and we pay his $14 million dollar contract to get his services for 1 year. 

Yeah the Braves didn't really give up anything for him was my point. Phillips still has game IMO. I know he is older but in Baseball you can play until your 40 and still be solid.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I look at several teams that can win it all without question as in the Cubs of course but the Redsox, Indians, Giants, Dodgers, etc.. Several others teams have a chance as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They traded for him. A couple of nobodies lol. Sean Rodriguez got in a car crash and injured his shoulder. Phillips is basically useless, just a filler for a year. But he's serviceable, and we pay his $14 million dollar contract to get his services for 1 year. 

Phillips is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in MLB, a great guy in the clubhouse and is a great bat when the game is on the line.  I watched about 100 games of the awful Reds last year. :)  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Phillips is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in MLB, a great guy in the clubhouse and is a great bat when the game is on the line.  I watched about 100 games of the awful Reds last year. :)  

I agree, he is still a borderline Great player. I don't throw the term Great around too much as I use Very Good and Good a lot at times to get my point across. Having said that he is at worse a Good player, Great Defensively.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, he is still a borderline Great player. I don't throw the term Great around too much as I use Very Good and Good a lot at times to get my point across. Having said that he is at worse a Good player, Great Defensively.

Spot on!! ^^^^^^^ :)  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

Not much really.  RG and I have had some health issues, but we are still out and about.  Went to Pacers game last night.  We were lucky to get tickets to a suite.  First time for me at a Pacers game.

 

Just really studying the teams more in depth in baseball.  It looks to be a tremendous year once again. 

 

Don't you guys count out the Mets.  With that pitching, they will win several 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.  They do need a spark besides Cespedes.

 

Reds look to reek of Minor league dugouts once again. Traded Philips to get a look at Peraza full time.

Lol I'm not counting out the Mets I know better. I'm not making predictions other than the Central will be a hard fought race and no ones cake walk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

Phillips is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in MLB, a great guy in the clubhouse and is a great bat when the game is on the line.  I watched about 100 games of the awful Reds last year. :)  

Phillips is still very productive . For anyone who thinks hes washed up think again.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

Hello everyone!!!

 

You all may know, but Tommy John surgery is so routine these days that kids in High School and college have had it done.  This does baffle me somewhat.

 

My daughters friend plays baseball at Stanford, an his season ended last season...for Tommy John Surgery.  He was set to be drafted.  MLB will have to wait for this young man.

By the way great to have you back Brother . :thmup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

By the way great to have you back Brother . :thmup:

Jay I think this Thread will be lively when the season starts. We have several people Posting here now off and on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jay I think this Thread will be lively when the season starts. We have several people Posting here now off and on.

Should be a lot of fun . :thmup:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Phillips is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in MLB, a great guy in the clubhouse and is a great bat when the game is on the line.  I watched about 100 games of the awful Reds last year. :)  

 

I like Phillips a lot. That's a bummer that he signed with Atlanta. The East may not be too bad this year. Washington still has the most talented team.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I had SF winning SB before season started. But I had Patriots losing. of course SF is winning. and the total will be under. it will be a dog fight but SF still wins by 13. Boring like last year
    • If someone is going to rely on traditional statistics (which aren't the best metric anyway), and that someone is going to hold that season against him (which is fair), then that same someone has to give him credit for his incredible '18 season, too.    
    • Pre-season games.   Local TV.   Not televised where you could pick it up.    Sling that.    You made the claim in the pre-season.   August.   I called you on it in August.   I've made the claim multiple times.   And now,  5 months later,  you come up with an explanation?   Sling box?    Now?    You couldn't have said that 5 months ago?    Or any other time I called you on it?     Now?  Nice try.   Quite honestly,  I've spent plenty of time writing long posts to you and it's a waste of my time.    You're not interested in anything that shows you're wrong.   You simply move the goal line.    You change the argument.     You did it in the previous exchange in the thread and you always act like you don't understand.   You made several posts last off-season saying Frank Reich was a poor play caller in 2018.   You made the claim in several different threads.    I called you on it.   The only game you pointed to was the KC playoff game.    That's it.   One game.   That's proof of nothing.   And now, your new argument is that posters here agree with you that Reich did a poor job in the KC playoff game.    My response is...    so?      That wasn't even your original argument.    You've dropped that and moved on.    Pretended you never said it.    Ask for me to go fishing for posts to prove you said it.    You said it alright.   Multiple times.    I called you on it multiple times.    Pretending you didn't say it now is simply par for the course for you.    I try to waste as little time on you as possible.    I try my best to ignore you, per Nadine's wishes.    I'm doing better,  but I reserve the right to point out the worst of your nonsense.  Perhaps not all of it,  only the most insulting.     Otherwise,  knock yourself out...   I'll try to avoid you.....   Good luck....  
    • For me the top of the draft is a lot more offensive heavy than what ive seen in the thread. I'd go: 1.Chase Young 2.Joe Burrow 3.Ceedee Lamb 4.Jeff Okudah 5.Jerry Jeudy 6.Isaiah Simmons 7. Tua 8.Mekhi Becton 9.Henry Ruggs 10:Derrick Brown  
  • Members

    • BertJones

      BertJones 47

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • zibby43

      zibby43 1,233

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Freenyfan102

      Freenyfan102 232

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lef

      Lef 210

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chrisaaron1023

      Chrisaaron1023 1,593

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 19,992

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...