Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2006Coltsbestever

• NFLfan

• Jay Kirk

• PrincetonTiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

I just got an anonymous call on my phone which I usually don't answer when I don't see a number I recognize. I answered it and the person said SOX and hung up.  I have no clue who it was  

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I thought that was the case, how far are most of you guys from STL? @Barry Sears @Myles@Jay Kirk @landrus13

Actually out of those 4 guys, @Myles is the only one that can't stand the Cubs lol. As a Cubs fan I have never really liked the Cards but I don't hate them. I respect them actually. Brewers on the other hand I can't stand, it is their fanbase that is awful. Never won a damn thing and they talk smack lmao 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You know I am a Mets fan.

Are you considering changing allegiances from the Cubs to the Cards, like Barry did? :P

That i did know, I just figured one of yall remembered better than I who was fans of which teams. 

Even being in STL I will never change my teams!! (Except maybe hockey) haha

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually out of those 4 guys, @Myles is the only one that can't stand the Cubs lol. As a Cubs fan I have never really liked the Cards but I don't hate them. I respect them actually. Brewers on the other hand I can't stand, it is their fanbase that is awful. Never won a damn thing and they talk smack lmao 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@Jay Kirk is from the Terre Haute area

Well I was gonna say, should try to perhaps do a Cubs/Cards series in Stl in the future, maybe meet all this group of us

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Well I was gonna say, should try to perhaps do a Cubs/Cards series in Stl in the future, maybe meet all this group of us

That would be cool, St Louis is only about an hour or so further drive for me

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't hate the Cubs.  It is more the Cubs fans I work with.  I like that the Cubs/Cardinal rivalry has always been one of respect.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Won’t see me since I only travel if necessary and never go to stadiums

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Only if you are picking up the tab for the alcohol refreshments? :dunno:

• Haha 5
10 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't hate the Cubs.  It is more the Cubs fans I work with.  I like that the Cubs/Cardinal rivalry has always been one of respect.  

That is how I feel about Brewers fans in general lol. I work with a couple of Cards fans and they are pretty cool. They always bring up their 11 championships to me but it is in good fun. After the Cubs won it all in 2016, I had a Cards fan at work say he was happy for me.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, HOZER said:

That would be cool, St Louis is only about an hour or so further drive for me

Ya I will be about 15 minutes from Busch now

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wrigley is only about 2 hours 25 minutes away from me. St Louis is about 4 hours from me.

Ya Wrigley right now is about 3 hours from me, next month it ends up being 5, was thinking also as games at Busch have been cheaper even for Cubs/Cards series

On 9/19/2020 at 3:00 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I thought that was the case, how far are most of you guys from STL? @Barry Sears @Myles@Jay Kirk @landrus13

I'm about 2.5 hours from STL. I'm right on the Indiana/Illinois border. About 2.5 hours from Cincinnati too. Went to a game in Cincy a few years ago. Beautiful stadium overlooking the Ohio river. Not as beautiful as Busch though. :default_20smile:

• Like 2

Cubs 5-0 tonight to stop the slide..

Was worrying about the O, showed some improvement late.

Still good D and pitching can prove valuable in the playoffs!

Good to see the team score some runs!

GO CUBS GO

CUBS WIN CUBS WIN CUBS WIN 

FLY THE W 

I think this win clinches the playoffs 

• Like 2

Kris Bryant is injured, Oblique = bad. He has struggled all season though. We are pretty deep but if he can't play in the playoffs that hurts our team. Cubs won 5-0 over the Pirates tonight so we are on our way to at least winning the NL Central. Fly the Flag Hozer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, jmac_48 said:

Goshdarnit (hehehe)

El Mago is for real!!!

Just watched some replays of the game tonight and he just keep me shaking my head at what impact he has game after game.

Special Player!

Yeah he may be our best all-around player at this point? I love Bryant but he has struggled all season and has been injured a lot. Bote is more than capable of taking over at 3rd for Bryant if need be. Rizzo is still a huge key to our team as well.

• Like 2

Reds will need to win at least 3 out of their final 5 games to stay in playoff contention. Ideally winning 4 should be enough to get in. I can't believe I'm even saying that... 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I'm about 2.5 hours from STL. I'm right on the Indiana/Illinois border. About 2.5 hours from Cincinnati too. Went to a game in Cincy a few years ago. Beautiful stadium overlooking the Ohio river. Not as beautiful as Busch though. :default_20smile:

I like Cincy's too. I went there for a couple games a few years ago and felt like it is a good park if you brought kids to, like they had lots of things a Minor League park would have to help keep kids entertained

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

You guys see the response by Schwarb? After getting pulled yesterday responded with 2 doubles 2 RBIs a run and hustled out his first double. Then we he gotten PR for by Hamilton, grabbed Rossy leg so that he could hug him

Feel bad for him really, he just doesn’t have what it takes to play left field in my opinion...he does have a great arm but just not athletic enough. He was primarily a catcher in college I believe,(IU:yuk:) But also played outfield. Has a heck of a bat though, and a great motivational team player. 

Welp, Cubs officially clinched with Philly losing last night....but not overly optimistic about their chances right now. Keep playing like they have been and it’ll be a short stint. 
GoCubsGo!

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Welp, Cubs officially clinched with Philly losing last night....but not overly optimistic about their chances right now. Keep playing like they have been and it’ll be a short stint. 
GoCubsGo!

Yeah we are playing inconsistent offensively. Not sure what to think? I guess we have as good a chance of winning the WS as anyone else. The Dodgers are really the only team that stands out but when it comes to the playoffs, well they choke lmao 

• Like 1

If the season ended today

The season does not end today, thankfully, but if it did, the postseason brackets would look like this:

American League
No. 1 Rays vs. No. 8 Blue Jays
No. 2 White Sox vs. No. 7 Cleveland
No. 3 Athletics No. 6 Astros
No. 4 Twins vs. No. 5 Yankees

National League
No. 1 Dodgers vs. No. 8 Brewers
No. 2 Braves vs. No. 7 Reds
No. 3 Cubs vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres vs. No. 5 Cardinals

Here are the first round matchups if they playoffs started today. Not liking the Cards chances against the Padres. Cubs would potentially play the winner of the Reds/Braves. Cardinals would get winner of Dodgers/Brewers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, landrus13 said:

If the season ended today

The season does not end today, thankfully, but if it did, the postseason brackets would look like this:

American League
No. 1 Rays vs. No. 8 Blue Jays
No. 2 White Sox vs. No. 7 Cleveland
No. 3 Athletics No. 6 Astros
No. 4 Twins vs. No. 5 Yankees

National League
No. 1 Dodgers vs. No. 8 Brewers
No. 2 Braves vs. No. 7 Reds
No. 3 Cubs vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres vs. No. 5 Cardinals

Here are the first round matchups if they playoffs started today. Not liking the Cards chances against the Padres. Cubs would potentially play the winner of the Reds/Braves. Cardinals would get winner of Dodgers/Brewers.

I like those matchups for the Cubs, I hope it stays that way.

On 9/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, HOZER said:

Feel bad for him really, he just doesn’t have what it takes to play left field in my opinion...he does have a great arm but just not athletic enough. He was primarily a catcher in college I believe,(IU:yuk:) But also played outfield. Has a heck of a bat though, and a great motivational team player. 

I mean, he isnt, but he also isnt as bad as all thought. He needs to show up more on national tv, but he also has made some real good plays. His arm saves him a lot too. This biggest issue is go hard every time, you may misplay a ball but go hard

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Uninspired baseball once again. :facepalm:

If there is a good twist to this, if we remain in the 3 spot our matchups are real favorable and we avoid the Dodgers or Padres until the NLCS. After tonight we are still 3.5 ahead of the Cards and Reds, 4.5 over the Brewers in the NL Central. Cards have now played 53 games, we have played 56. That is a pretty comfortable lead at this point.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If there is a good twist to this, if we remain in the 3 spot our matchups are real favorable and we avoid the Dodgers or Padres until the NLCS. After tonight we are still 3.5 ahead of the Cards and Reds, 4.5 over the Brewers in the NL Central. Cards have now played 53 games, we have played 56. That is a pretty comfortable lead at this point.

I know I need to be a better fan and be more optimistic, but their offense has been Pitiful lately. They need some kind of spark...maybe they’re paying possum? lol!

image.jpeg.d531b05f814516fd1ec6712b2bcafdf0.jpeg

• Like 1

I hate the fact we are struggling but we are pretty much locked in at that 3rd spot anyway. We are 32-25 so the most losses we could have are 28. The Reds and Brewers both have already lost 28. There is a small outside shot that the Cards could catch us, they are 27-26 but that is a long shot. They would have to get real hot and we would have to almost lose out. 

• Like 1