Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?


Recommended Posts

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5804

  • NFLfan

    2265

  • Jay Kirk

    2230

  • PrincetonTiger

    1833

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

True and the Dodgers always manage to waste good regular seasons.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

 

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

 

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

 

GO RAYS!!!

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

 

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

 

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

Yep, anything could happen.  

National League is at a disadvantage in the World Series this season.   Just because pitchers won't have to hit in the NL parks.  The American league teams have their teams built for the DL and have signed players to fill the role.  Many National league teams are using bench players to fill the roles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

 

 

Wow what a win!!! Feel kind of bad for Wittgren, local product, went to same school my daughter goes to and also a Former Boilermaker! Tough break for him, but it benefits my Cubbies!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy by that, just better case of getting through with no test. Plus makes the Dodgers lose that homefield advantage :)

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings going into September 16th:

Cubs 29-20

Cards 21-22 (5 back)

Reds 24-26 (5.5 back)

Brewers 22-25 (6 back)

Pirates 14-33 (14 back)

 

Cubs currently are tied with the 29-20 Braves for the 2nd seed in the NL. 11 games to go for the Cubs.

Cubs Play off magic number is 8 last time I saw, and Division we are now at 10

 

@HOZER

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

Yep unless something happens in SoCal for the AL games. The NL has no issues since both are roof stadiums. And it very much is you dont want a team to get wrecked during the playoffs due to the virus. Also they are hoping they can have fans for LCS and WS I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

EL Mago has just been...

Magic this past week, he seems to be sparking the whole team.

JHay hasn't been too bad either.

Pitching staff has picked it up...

I'm excited!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, but I expect an early exit unless they get their act together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

He has had a wrist injury for a little over a month now so Ross has kept him out of the lineup on certain nights. He did it diving for a ball a while back. I am not sure if it is back to 100% or not, some nights he plays, other nights he doesn't. Personally I don't think he's 100% but it is nothing he needs surgery on from what I have been hearing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

 

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

 

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

Highly unlikely for us to get a 1 seed, but outside of first round no real HFA. Hopefully we can get the 2 seed though and play the WC team over a #2 seed who I think would be our division. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

 

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

 

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

 

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

 

Just curious...thanks in advance.

As 2006 said, he has had a wrist injury, but he also had a knee injury earlier this year. He is certainly not gonna be putting up his big number this year, but if he can stay healthy he can return. One issue too has been his walks is low and Ks high which is not his normal profile, hopefully it is a small fluke

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals are currently 9th in the NL. Just out of the playoffs. But have the Pirates and Royals coming up so they'll likely get back in. And we still have the Brewers a bunch coming up so they'll back into the playoffs. NL is really bad this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals are currently 9th in the NL. Just out of the playoffs. But have the Pirates and Royals coming up so they'll likely get back in. And we still have the Brewers a bunch coming up so they'll back into the playoffs. NL is really bad this year.

Reds have a tough schedule coming up and you guys are still ahead of the Brewers despite everything with Covid and double headers. I thought the Brewers would be a lot better in this shortened season but they have been average at best. I still say Cards squeak in lol and that is all that takes. Once you get in, it is a new season.

 

The playoffs are more important and winning the WS is ultimate goal but I am not going to lie, winning the division would be sweet. At least if we lose in the playoffs we will have that as Cubs fans. * or not, it still counts. During a pandemic I will take it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit it is looking great for the Cubs as far as winning the NL Central. Coming into today (September 18th) the standings look like this:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-24 (6 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 15-34 (14.5 back)

 

Cubs just have 10 games left, Reds only 9, Cards only 16, Brewers only 11. If the Cubs win the NL Central division it will be 3 in 5 seasons = 2016, 2017, and now in 2020. Hopefully this season can end like in 2016 with a WS Championship. The Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, only team that is playing better in the NL are the Dodgers. The Padres and Cubs are pretty even IMO but the Padres aren't playoff proven. Ross and the Cubs have handled this pandemic really well, just focused and staying healthy :thmup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

 

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

 

 

I am hoping they do bring him back as a 5th starter and basically set a contract at 13/14mil for a year. Since he has a 10mil buyout already, rip that up and give him a few million more since he can still mean a lot in the rotation as a backend

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • No, we need find a new young QB. I still rather had Stidham this year and sank or swam with him.  If he did well and improved as the year went by awesome. If he sucked we draft in the top 10 and get one of the three top QBs coming out. Now we will probably win the East again, and a playoff game or two. And then back to the drawing board.
    • Some looking good...others  not so much.
    • Lmao the Pats are ONE game behind the Bills and have a vastly superior Defense.  Also they averaged 29 points with Cam (not counting Sundays fiasco where the entire team was rusty from lack of practice) oh and on Sunday there was ONE starter on the O line left after the first quarter. (1 broken hand, 2 COVID the day before the game)    I see us beating the Bills twice (unless This COVID issue continues) and sweeping the East division again. 
    • I always try to make a day of it, and eat somewhere prior to the game when I come back. Given the Covid situation, not really sure what to tell you. Not really sure what's open either. I'd probably stay safe and just do a tailgate cookout.   If you want to do the concessions though, here's a link to what's available. https://www.lucasoilstadium.com/attending-an-event/concessions/
    • This for sure.  We frequently look at the season with a global view.  But how often does it happen that one of the top teams loses a couple of key players and then suddenly they look very beatable?  Like every week?  I mean there is still a LONG way to go yet folks.  We don't even know how much losing Devin Bush is going to hurt the Steelers.  Or how losing Lewan will affect the Titans.  IF the Colts can stay relatively healthy then they will have a chance against any team remaining.  They may not be elite but they aren't that bad either.  Any given Sunday.  If Rivers can just take care of the ball they usually have a chance.   Even if you firmly believe they have no chance at beating the top teams of Titans, Steelers, Ravens, and Packers (which I don't believe BTW), they still have the opportunity to win 9 games in a year in which 7 teams will make the playoffs in each conference.  I still think they will split with the Titans.  I think with our fast defense we match up very well with the Ravens.  The Steelers will be a tough challenge from an offensive standpoint, but they aren't going to score a million points on you and the Packers are just the opposite.  No team is flawless and can be beaten.  Colts are unbeaten at home and 3 of those games are at LOS.  It's doable.  I said 10 wins to begin the season and I'm sticking with it.  And this year 10 wins is going to absolutely get you in.
  • Members

    • dw49

      dw49 3,322

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pelt

      Pelt 683

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bravo4460

      bravo4460 1,763

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pgt_rob

      pgt_rob 2,465

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bWild

      bWild 58

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DougDew

      DougDew 4,175

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • deedub75

      deedub75 1,300

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 6,859

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 623

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 10,538

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...