Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

GO RAYS!!!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Still rooting for my Cardinals, but they are very average right now...and inconsistent.

I'm looking forward to the American League playoffs...lots of very good teams, and it should be interesting.

Honestly, I know most of you guys are Cubs fans, but I think the Dodgers and Padres are the elite in the NL right now, so not as many good teams in the NL this year.

GO RAYS!!!

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depending on seeding, it is tough to call who will make the NLCS? Dodgers are the elite of the NL but they usually are in the regular season. Padres have to prove it to me come playoff time before I say they are better than the Cubs. 

True and the Dodgers always manage to waste good regular seasons.

40 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

GO RAYS!!!

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I'm tiring of the Cardinals .500 ball.    Another double header tonight.  They'll probably split with the Brew Crew and still be at .500.   If they lose both, they will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.  

If not the Cardinals, I'll be pulling for the Padres.   Mostly because the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (minor league baseball) are part of the Padres organization.  I watched a few of their players come up through the team.  Fernando Tatis Jr spent 2 seasons in Fort Wayne.  It was obvious that he was going to be good.   I was rooting for him from the start because I remember when his dad played for the Cardinals.   His claim to fame was once hitting 4 home runs in a game.

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cardinals will still make the playoffs IMO, they were put behind the 8-ball a bit when the Covid-19 hit the team. Playing double headers aren't easy. I guess anything can happen if a team gets in. Nobody thought the Nats would win it all last season and look what happened.

Yep, anything could happen.  

National League is at a disadvantage in the World Series this season.   Just because pitchers won't have to hit in the NL parks.  The American league teams have their teams built for the DL and have signed players to fill the role.  Many National league teams are using bench players to fill the roles.

16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy by that, just better case of getting through with no test. Plus makes the Dodgers lose that homefield advantage :)

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings going into September 16th:

Cubs 29-20

Cards 21-22 (5 back)

Reds 24-26 (5.5 back)

Brewers 22-25 (6 back)

Pirates 14-33 (14 back)

Cubs currently are tied with the 29-20 Braves for the 2nd seed in the NL. 11 games to go for the Cubs.

Cubs Play off magic number is 8 last time I saw, and Division we are now at 10

@HOZER

6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, bad weather should not be a factor at all this post season.  This will be interesting, but the smart thing to do in order to help contain things and avoid the extra travel.

Yep unless something happens in SoCal for the AL games. The NL has no issues since both are roof stadiums. And it very much is you dont want a team to get wrecked during the playoffs due to the virus. Also they are hoping they can have fans for LCS and WS I saw.

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

NL Central standings heading into September 17th are:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 3-2 over the Indians in 10. El Mago had the game winning base hit. Fly the Flag Hozer.

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

Cubs are now 10 games above .500 for the 1st time since starting 13-3. The most they have been above .500 all season is 10 games. Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, the Dodgers at 35-15 have the #1 seed. The way the Cubs have handled this pandemic has been pretty flawless. They have been careful obviously and just focused on Baseball. Ross should be up for Manager of the Year IMO. Only 10 games to go folks!

EL Mago has just been...

Magic this past week, he seems to be sparking the whole team.

JHay hasn't been too bad either.

Pitching staff has picked it up...

I'm excited!!!

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

Cubs are pulling away from the pack in the Central.

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

Just curious...thanks in advance.

52 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, the Cardinals are consistent at being average!  Another double header split, so no ground gained.

Question for you Cubs fans...I'm in a keeper baseball league with a salary cap.  Another owner waived Kris Bryant and I got him for $25, which is a bargain if he's putting up his usual numbers.  Of course, he's not this year.

Any of you read or heard anything as to why he's under-performing this season?  Is he playing with an injury?

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't worry, the Reds have to play the White Sox and the Twins to finish out the season. Those are the top two of the AL Central. I fully expect the Reds to win only 4 or 5 more games from here on out, so the Cards will definitely get back into the playoff picture. 

I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, but I expect an early exit unless they get their act together.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

He has had a wrist injury for a little over a month now so Ross has kept him out of the lineup on certain nights. He did it diving for a ball a while back. I am not sure if it is back to 100% or not, some nights he plays, other nights he doesn't. Personally I don't think he's 100% but it is nothing he needs surgery on from what I have been hearing.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-23 (5.5 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-34 (15 back)

Highly unlikely for us to get a 1 seed, but outside of first round no real HFA. Hopefully we can get the 2 seed though and play the WC team over a #2 seed who I think would be our division. 

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

As 2006 said, he has had a wrist injury, but he also had a knee injury earlier this year. He is certainly not gonna be putting up his big number this year, but if he can stay healthy he can return. One issue too has been his walks is low and Ks high which is not his normal profile, hopefully it is a small fluke

50 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals are currently 9th in the NL. Just out of the playoffs. But have the Pirates and Royals coming up so they'll likely get back in. And we still have the Brewers a bunch coming up so they'll back into the playoffs. NL is really bad this year.

Reds have a tough schedule coming up and you guys are still ahead of the Brewers despite everything with Covid and double headers. I thought the Brewers would be a lot better in this shortened season but they have been average at best. I still say Cards squeak in lol and that is all that takes. Once you get in, it is a new season.

The playoffs are more important and winning the WS is ultimate goal but I am not going to lie, winning the division would be sweet. At least if we lose in the playoffs we will have that as Cubs fans. * or not, it still counts. During a pandemic I will take it.

I have to admit it is looking great for the Cubs as far as winning the NL Central. Coming into today (September 18th) the standings look like this:

Cubs 30-20

Reds 25-26 (5.5 back)

Cards 22-24 (6 back)

Brewers 23-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 15-34 (14.5 back)

Cubs just have 10 games left, Reds only 9, Cards only 16, Brewers only 11. If the Cubs win the NL Central division it will be 3 in 5 seasons = 2016, 2017, and now in 2020. Hopefully this season can end like in 2016 with a WS Championship. The Cubs currently hold the #2 seed in the NL, only team that is playing better in the NL are the Dodgers. The Padres and Cubs are pretty even IMO but the Padres aren't playoff proven. Ross and the Cubs have handled this pandemic really well, just focused and staying healthy :thmup:

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

2 hours ago, HOZER said:

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Lester is just getting up there in age. He has given us a lot and maybe this will motivate him to get 1 more ring. If we can get rid of Jake, we can get rid of anyone. It is a business unfortunately at times. 

I am hoping they do bring him back as a 5th starter and basically set a contract at 13/14mil for a year. Since he has a 10mil buyout already, rip that up and give him a few million more since he can still mean a lot in the rotation as a backend

Archived