Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm with you.   Carpenter hasn't been an asset.  In fact many Cards haven't been very good. 

Batting averages:

Carpenter - .178

O'Neil - .183

Bader - .224

Carlson - .162

Thomas - .130

Wieters - .059

3 of these guys have been in the lineup every game.    

Pathetic!  I see they sent Carlson down to help make room for C-Mart who is back from the COVID list.  He didn't pitch well and I'm not sure he will ever approach the level he once was as a starter.  Maybe he works in a long relief role, maybe not.

Going to need to make some decisions on this roster in the off season, for sure.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Pathetic!  I see they sent Carlson down to help make room for C-Mart who is back from the COVID list.  He didn't pitch well and I'm not sure he will ever approach the level he once was as a starter.  Maybe he works in a long relief role, maybe not.

Going to need to make some decisions on this roster in the off season, for sure.

Martinez still has shoulder issues. He didn't have surgery when it happened and it's still lingering around. Don't know why he never had the surgery. He seems to be a headcase anymore. Always more worried about what his hair is gonna look like next. I think his best days are behind him unfortunately. 

Kinda wish we would have gotten Lynn back at the deadline but he's come back to earth since then. Cardinals need to do something this offseason about the offense. Too many guys not hitting. Bader and O'Neill aren't hitting. Carlson is still up in the air. Haven't seen enough of Thomas to decide. Fowler is having a bounce back year but he's a free agent coming up after 2021 I believe. Carpenter is signed through 2021 but has an option for 2022. Cardinals have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years. Gonna be interesting to see what they do.

18 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Martinez still has shoulder issues. He didn't have surgery when it happened and it's still lingering around. Don't know why he never had the surgery. He seems to be a headcase anymore. Always more worried about what his hair is gonna look like next. I think his best days are behind him unfortunately. 

Kinda wish we would have gotten Lynn back at the deadline but he's come back to earth since then. Cardinals need to do something this offseason about the offense. Too many guys not hitting. Bader and O'Neill aren't hitting. Carlson is still up in the air. Haven't seen enough of Thomas to decide. Fowler is having a bounce back year but he's a free agent coming up after 2021 I believe. Carpenter is signed through 2021 but has an option for 2022. Cardinals have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years. Gonna be interesting to see what they do.

Agree on Martinez...regressing and he is a head case.  When it's on straight, he can be dominant, but that's not happening much and why he didn't elect for surgery is a mystery.

Yes, lots of questions and not enough bats on the roster.  I know they should still look at the young guys...Memphis has had lots of success the past few seasons and it would seem some of those guys should be able to make the jump to St. Louis and bring some help.  Next season may be a wash and then they can overhaul for 2022 once all that money comes off the  books and the roster has some openings.

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Agree on Martinez...regressing and he is a head case.  When it's on straight, he can be dominant, but that's not happening much and why he didn't elect for surgery is a mystery.

Yes, lots of questions and not enough bats on the roster.  I know they should still look at the young guys...Memphis has had lots of success the past few seasons and it would seem some of those guys should be able to make the jump to St. Louis and bring some help.  Next season may be a wash and then they can overhaul for 2022 once all that money comes off the  books and the roster has some openings.

Right now, they only have $38M on the books for 2022. They have $84M for 2021 but that doesn't count what they'll pay some guys in arbitration. Molina, Wainwright, Wong, and Wieters are up after this year. Wong has a club option so he'll be back. I assume Yadi and Wainwright will be back as well. I'm hoping they don't give Yadi another $20M per. Not worth that anymore. They'll let Wieters go and Knizner will take over the backup role. After 2021, Andrew Miller, Dexter Fowler, CMart, and Wong (assuming he doesn't get an extension) will be gone. Those 4 guys account for $58M. That's quite a bit off the books. Another $18.5M the next year after Carpenter is gone. They have almost nothing on the books after 2021. So something is gonna change. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 8-5, fly the Flag Hozer.

NL Central Standings going into September 11th:

Cubs 26-19 - just 15 games left

Cards 19-18 (3 back)

Brewers 19-22 (5 back)

Reds 19-25 (6.5 back)

You are up late tonight. LOL

Good to see the team score some runs!  Bullpen hold up!

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

Cardinals and Reds this weekend and then a bunch against the Brewers. I'm gonna get tired of seeing the Brewers. 

And my A's are up 6.5 on the Astros. Oakland just took 4 of 5 from Houston. Oakland is currently the 1 seed in the AL. Got the Rangers this weekend who are reeling.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am off tomorrow so I can sleep in. This was a nice win after being down 3-0. Much needed because the Cards are still hanging around.

I figured you and @HOZER would've missed the game since it was ending after midnight my time (CST) and one your guys

2 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals and Reds this weekend and then a bunch against the Brewers. I'm gonna get tired of seeing the Brewers. 

And my A's are up 6.5 on the Astros. Oakland just took 4 of 5 from Houston. Oakland is currently the 1 seed in the AL. Got the Rangers this weekend who are reeling.

I am always tired of seeing the Brewers no matter when

10 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals offense didn't show up last night. Castillo got his first complete game. Cardinals were no match for him. Cardinals only got 2 hits. Loooooooooong night.

I am very concerned about the Cubs offense as well. Baez and Bryant continue to struggle. We wasted a great outing by Lester last night. Couldn't even muster up 1 run.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am very concerned about the Cubs offense as well. Baez and Bryant continue to struggle. We wasted a great outing by Lester last night. Couldn't even muster up 1 run.

Offense is concerning, but that stikezone was atrocious, even gameday had one pitch as a ball (as in green) but the ump called it a strike. Like how bad is that by an ump that the MLB says it is a ball. 

But positive is that Lester looked good and made adjustment, you hope he can continue with that. Kimbrel also looked good

2 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

WOW

Nice come back in the 9th!

Kimbrel gets the save!

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

(was just about to come on here whining) lmao

I stopped after Braun HR. I felt like dont watch maybe change their fortune tonight. Plus Braun suuckkkks and is cheating PED user who won an MVP cuz of it. 

It is nice to see J-Hey hit a HR and just a day after I got his nice Blue Jersey. :)

4 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Alec Mills throws a NO NO, 9inning shutout. 16th in Cubs history!

GO CUBS GO 

FLY THE W 

WOW

It was also one day short of being 12 years to the day Big Z through a no-hitter against the Astros at Miller Park. 

It was good to see one win, for my teams today. Hopefully he doesnt have a fall off like some pitchers who have that big No-Hitter moment, but were not great beforehand. Hopefully he stays well and just continues to keep his control.

NL Central standings as of September 13th:

Cubs 28-20

Cards 20-20 (4 back)

Brewers 20-24 (6 back)

Reds 21-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-30 (12 back)

-As the old Lakers announcer Chick Hearn used to say, the division is in the refrigerator, eggs are cooling, the lights are out, and the jello is jiggling. This puppy is about history baby :thmup:

Cubs clinched a playoff spot today as well. ESPN is showing they are 100% in. 

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs 12 Brewers 0. Alec Mills with a no hitter. Hozer already flew the flag haha .

:lol: that was for the night before, but we can count it for yesterday as well!!!! Man I was not expecting a no no from Mills! Awesome! Takes a little bit of the sting out of  getting beat by the jags:wall: Oh well. 

Playoffs here we come!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NL Central standings as of September 13th:

Cubs 28-20

Cards 20-20 (4 back)

Brewers 20-24 (6 back)

Reds 21-26 (6.5 back)

Pirates 14-30 (12 back)

-As the old Lakers announcer Chick Hearn used to say, the division is in the refrigerator, eggs are cooling, the lights are out, and the jello is jiggling. This puppy is about history baby :thmup:

Cubs clinched a playoff spot today as well. ESPN is showing they are 100% in. 

I didnt think we clinched, I think we are just projected to make at 100% just since it would take an insane scenario to not. It is a highly unlikely scenario.

And plus side Brewers and Cards play 5 this week I think and 5 next? So gotta root for a split and that will really help us

Archived