Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

12 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

NL Central has been a bit underwhelming so far imo. I expected the Reds to be better. They have a legit offense and rotation. But that bullpen has the 5th worst era. Brewers have been bad. They have almost no pitching. And Yelich has had a brutal start. Cardinals are decent. Offense is a bit sketchy. Bullpen is a strength for them. Rotation is okay. Flaherty and Kim have been really good. Cubs are the class of the division. They should win the division. Do I think they can beat the Dodgers in the playoffs? No. I don't think any team in the NL can. I thought Atlanta could give them a good series but their rotation is depleted after losing Folty and Soroka. Hamels as well.

Good analysis, Dodgers have had the best on paper since 2016 IMO but always choke. Cubs beat them in 2016 in the NLCS and overall they had just as much talent. They were more talented than the Astros in 2017 and lost the WS to them with HFA. Who would've thought the Nats could beat them last year? Nats, a team that choked for years. 

I picked the Dodgers to win it all before this season but they are beatable.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After today the NL Central standings look like this:

Cubs 17-10

Cards 9-8 (3 back)

Brewers 11-15 (5.5 back)

Reds 11-15 (5.5 back)

Pirates 7-17 (8.5 back)

-Look who is hanging around, yep it is the Cards. They won again today. They have 2 less losses than we have as well. Played 10 games less but that team can reel off 6 or 7 wins in a row. I have seen it year after year lol.

Cardinals playing a lot of games in a short amount of time due to their COVID shutdown, but they are hanging in.  Molina is back and had 4 hits yesterday, and we get DeJong back now, too.  Roster is coming together, which is important for the remainder of the year.  Pitching has been pretty good and we have a good, balanced bullpen.  

Thought I'd fly some flags, too :-)

busch-stadium.jpg

48 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals playing a lot of games in a short amount of time due to their COVID shutdown, but they are hanging in.  Molina is back and had 4 hits yesterday, and we get DeJong back now, too.  Roster is coming together, which is important for the remainder of the year.  Pitching has been pretty good and we have a good, balanced bullpen.  

busch-stadium.jpg

You deserve to do that, Cards have 11 Championships and are good every year it seems. I respect them, screw the fluke Brewers haha . What is funny is I hate the Brewers more than I do the Cards, it is their fans - very annoying. Cards back up their play, Brewers fans are YAP YAP YAP. - no Championships.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

busch-stadium.jpg

How many games did the Cardinals play that were only 7 innings?   I think it was their double-headers.   Not really a fan of it, as it changes the game, but it certainly helped the Cards save some arms.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

How many games did the Cardinals play that were only 7 innings?   I think it was their double-headers.   Not really a fan of it, as it changes the game, but it certainly helped the Cards save some arms.  

So far, they've played 3 double-headers since they resumed play on the 15th.  They've played 12 games in 9 days coming into today.  Yes those are 7 inning games, but there are no off days now, so they will have to save arms by using more pitchers out of the bullpen for shorter stints, I would guess.  And, that's harder when you're still getting starters working on pitching deeper into games, if the situation allows.

But, they put themselves in this situation...the tough part is it's putting their opponents in tough situations they had no control over.

Cardinals don't have an off day until September 5. They still have 9 doubleheaders to go. I know they're shortened but the Cardinals had to use guys who otherwise would have never pitched in MLB this year. Cardinals have handled it well so far. Could change at any time. Hopefully guys stay healthy. I don't think they're a WS contender though. Offense is too hit and miss. 

28 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals don't have an off day until September 5. They still have 9 doubleheaders to go. I know they're shortened but the Cardinals had to use guys who otherwise would have never pitched in MLB this year. Cardinals have handled it well so far. Could change at any time. Hopefully guys stay healthy. I don't think they're a WS contender though. Offense is too hit and miss. 

Good gads!!  9 more double headers.

I don't know if any team can survive something that grueling.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Good gads!!  9 more double headers.

I don't know if any team can survive something that grueling.   

They have one this week against Pittsburgh. Cardinals next few series are the Royals, Pirates, Indians, Reds, Cubs (doubleheader included), then a doubleheader with the Twins in one day then an off day and another doubleheader with the Tigers. Gonna be tough sledding for the Cardinals for awhile.

6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

busch-stadium.jpg

Show off!!!

8 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

busch-stadium.jpg

:hat:  

Too bad I am not a Yankees fan. I'd post theirs. haha

Cardinals are about to beat the Royals. Up 9-3 in the 8th and bases loaded. I'd love to see the Cardinals maybe trade for a bat but I don't see it being very likely with the expanded playoffs. More teams think they're legit contenders this year. Flaherty looked good tonight. Still on a pitch count. Bader has looked better recently. We'll see if he keeps it up.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Next time that you and @HOZER see him here, exchange  contact info. We all need each other at this time. 

I will. He probably is just working a lot. Last time I talked to him was close to a month ago and  I said I would hold the fort down in here. I am glad to see others posting in here too. This is a great thread.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will. He probably is just working a lot. Last time I talked to him was close to a month ago and  I said I would hold the fort down in here. I am glad to see others posting in here too. This is a great thread.

Have been working didnt have a choice in the matter.  Some Baseball season Lol , I have enjoyed seeing some though . . Life as we know it has changed bigtime.  I guess what I miss in the game is the fans believe it or not .

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

Have been working didnt have a choice in the matter.  Some Baseball season Lol , i have enjoyed seeing some though . . Life as we know it has changed bigtime.  I guess what i miss in the game is the fans believe it or not .

I feel the opposite.  I really don't miss the fans at all.  Maybe I just never paid attention to them.   I miss the pitcher hitting.  Never been a fan of the DH.  I'm afraid the NL will be DH going forward.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I feel the opposite.  I really don't miss the fans at all.  Maybe I just never paid attention to them.   I miss the pitcher hitting.  Never been a fan of the DH.  I'm afraid the NL will be DH going forward.  

I hear you I am a purist also , but i believe the DH is here to stay

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I like the DH in the NL. I don't like watching pitchers hit. Almost always an automatic out. I like the strategy involved now with not having an automatic out in the 9 hole. Makes it a little easier to pinch hit later in the game. Don't have to worry about double switching.

Just now, landrus13 said:

I like the DH in the NL. I don't like watching pitchers hit. Almost always an automatic out. I like the strategy involved now with not having an automatic out in the 9 hole. Makes it a little easier to pinch hit later in the game. Don't have to worry about double switching.

Lately the Cubs the extra player as a PR instead wasting him as a PH

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Next time that you and @HOZER see him here, exchange  contact info. We all need each other at this time. 

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

PM  me any of you  , be good to stay in touch . Will share contact info

6 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I prefer the strategy of the pitcher hitting much more.  If he's still pitching well in the 7th inning of a close game and is due up to bat, the manager has a tough call to make.  I like that part of baseball and will miss it if it is gone.  It's also fun to watch a decent hitting pitcher like Wainwright.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I prefer the strategy of the pitcher hitting much more.  If he's still pitching well in the 7th inning of a close game and is due up to bat, the manager has a tough call to make.  I like that part of baseball and will miss it if it is gone.  It's also fun to watch a decent hitting pitcher like Wainwright.  

You aren't wrong. Not many pitchers go deep anymore. All these new analytics say a starter shouldn't face a lineup the third time through. Some guys are an exception and they get stronger the deeper they get. Not many like that anymore. All these teams are trying to build super bullpens so they don't have to push their starters past the 5th. More and more teams are doing it. Big reason why I think the DH is a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

You aren't wrong. Not many pitchers go deep anymore. All these new analytics say a starter shouldn't face a lineup the third time through. Some guys are an exception and they get stronger the deeper they get. Not many like that anymore. All these teams are trying to build super bullpens so they don't have to push their starters past the 5th. More and more teams are doing it. Big reason why I think the DH is a good thing. 

I understand what you are saying, but it still removes some of the strategic part of the game.   If you remove a pitcher when he is due to hit, you have to decide if where you will put that pinch hitter and who you may remove from the field.   I've always liked the little things like that.  I'm probably not in the majority, but it is what I like to see.  There are some AL games where they use the same 9 hitters for the whole game.  Swap pitchers when they show fatigue and not much else.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I understand what you are saying, but it still removes some of the strategic part of the game.   If you remove a pitcher when he is due to hit, you have to decide if where you will put that pinch hitter and who you may remove from the field.   I've always liked the little things like that.  I'm probably not in the majority, but it is what I like to see.  There are some AL games where they use the same 9 hitters for the whole game.  Swap pitchers when they show fatigue and not much else.  

Agreed , the Manager play's a much more crucial role in the game.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't disagree. The strategy is fun to think and talk about.

9 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I don't disagree. The strategy is fun to think and talk about.

While I don't care for the DH, I do understand why many like it.   I grew up a fan of small ball and prefer a 2-1 game as opposed to a 8-5 game.   I know that scoring is what most people want.  

Archived