Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5804

  • NFLfan

    2265

  • Jay Kirk

    2230

  • PrincetonTiger

    1833

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

I just got an anonymous call on my phone which I usually don't answer when I don't see a number I recognize. I answered it and the person said SOX and hung up.  I have no clue who it was  

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not for sure how to analyze the season so far because of the Cards situation. They have only played 13 games and was forced to play at Wrigley the last 5 games because of the Covid-19 Virus. They have now played 13 games though and are 6-7, while the Cubs remain healthy and are 16-8 with just 36 games left for them to play. Just looking at the Cubs situation, being 4.5 games up on the Cards and Brewers is a great thing in the NL Central as the Brewers are just 10-11 and have played 21. Overall I would give the team a B+ (not quite an A), we started red hot at 13-3 then hit a little rough patch but taking 3 of 5 from the Cards is great no matter where the teams play. Baez and Bryant both have struggled a bit so far and our bull pen is still iffy. Kimbrel looked good tonight though in getting his 1st save. Yu Darvish has been sensational! David Ross has been good for the team as well. My new nickname for David Bote is 'Mr. Clutch'.

 

Off day tomorrow and the guys deserve it, rest up and finish strong.

Lets not forget the Reds, they are 10-12 so not completely out of the NL Central race. 5 games back isn't impossible to makeup. It such a short season though that it will be tough.

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I had a feeling the Reds were overhyped. Sitting at 10-12 is well, underwhelming. Same ‘ole Reds. 

They could still get hot, not over yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I had a feeling the Reds were overhyped. Sitting at 10-12 is well, underwhelming. Same ‘ole Reds. 

 

What happened to your announcer? He sounded pretty despondent earlier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 best teams in baseball through August 19th are:

Dodgers 18-8

A's 17-8

Yankees 16-8

Cubs 16-8

-Oddly, all of those teams have 8 losses but those are the 4 teams that have excelled during the Covid-19 pandemic so far. The Cubs with the core they have (since 2015), have had smart/modest players. Players that don't go out and party and get in trouble, etc.. When they won the WS in 2016, I never even heard one player brag about it. They are a special group and if we get #2 it will be legit asterisk and all lol. Every team is playing under the same conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

What happened to your announcer? He sounded pretty despondent earlier. 

Yeah, he committed a big "no-no" in the slur department. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's gone for good. I think he knows the writing is on the wall, and people aren't going to tolerate this stuff.

 

Way to make Marty proud, Thom... 

 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets not forget the Reds, they are 10-12 so not completely out of the NL Central race. 5 games back isn't impossible to makeup. It such a short season though that it will be tough.

They could still get hot, not over yet.

I think they'd have to catch lightning in a bottle at this point. We're good enough to split the series with each team we face, but just can't get consistent in terms of offense. We've had this hot and cold bat problem for years now. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just looked into it, he used an anti-gay slur but it doesn't say what he said. He has been suspended until further notice.

 

Yeah, I don't know exactly what he said but apparently it was accidentally aired when they were going to commercials. He has probably said whatever he said many times but this time it was heard on TV. That is what is hypocritical. 

 

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, he committed a big "no-no" in the slur department. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's gone for good. I think he knows the writing is on the wall, and people aren't going to tolerate this stuff.

 

Way to make Marty proud, Thom.

 

Marty was not one to shy away from saying what was on his mind. IIRC, he was openly critical of Ken Griffey, Jr. when he played in Cincy. I cannot recall why that was. (It was so long ago.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Marty was not one to shy away from saying what was on his mind. IIRC, he was openly critical of Ken Griffey, Jr. when he played in Cincy. I cannot recall why that was. (It was so long ago.)

Marty often would question his on-field work ethics. There were a lot of times he would do s simple jog to first base after a hit, instead of a Pete Rose style sprint. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a bit of searching on the Brennaman situation.  Sad this may end his career, but what he said is not acceptable and he made it worse by trying to apologize and say that's not who he is.  Well, Thom, it is who you are because you said it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals are hot and cold as well. I think having to play a lot of young guys and rookies is starting to take it's toll. They looked good in the 2 wins they had in Wrigley. I'm not expecting too much from them. Offense has way too many holes. The other night 6 of the 9 starters have a batting average below .210. Just not good offensively. Same thing as last season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Marty often would question his on-field work ethics. There were a lot of times he would do s simple jog to first base after a hit, instead of a Pete Rose style sprint. 

He also got called into the Commish’s Office for causing a game delay once too

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just looked into it, he used an anti-gay slur but it doesn't say what he said. He has been suspended until further notice.

It began with an F and 3 letter word

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Just did a bit of searching on the Brennaman situation.  Sad this may end his career, but what he said is not acceptable and he made it worse by trying to apologize and say that's not who he is.  Well, Thom, it is who you are because you said it.

 

It really is, I mean if that word comes out so easily means you do use it regularly. I mean even my generation stopped using it cuz we understood it. Also, every time I seen him say something it always seems dumb. I have not cared for him. The Reds also have had players like AG who have come out to talk on it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It began with an F and 3 letter word

 

It really is, I mean if that word comes out so easily means you do use it regularly. I mean even my generation stopped using it cuz we understood it. Also, every time I seen him say something it always seems dumb. I have not cared for him. The Reds also have had players like AG who have come out to talk on it.

approval agree GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB is considering a "bubble" for the playoffs. Not sure it'll work. You'll have to find a place with multiple fields. Maybe someone's spring training site. I'm not sure MLB has the balls to do it. May not have a choice though with all these teams having players and staffers test positive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, landrus13 said:

MLB is considering a "bubble" for the playoffs. Not sure it'll work. You'll have to find a place with multiple fields. Maybe someone's spring training site. I'm not sure MLB has the balls to do it. May not have a choice though with all these teams having players and staffers test positive.

It would be a good idea in theory. I think the LA-SoCal region would give three venues within a few hours drive for the playoffs. New York City would also have two venues for consideration. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RollerColt said:

It would be a good idea in theory. I think the LA-SoCal region would give three venues within a few hours drive for the playoffs. New York City would also have two venues for consideration. 

I like the LA-SoCal idea because the weather in October will be nice + the 3 venues which gives teams more options. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RollerColt said:

It would be a good idea in theory. I think the LA-SoCal region would give three venues within a few hours drive for the playoffs. New York City would also have two venues for consideration. 

Chicago area could have 4 or 5

  Wrigley, Guaranteed Rate, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and possibly Cincy

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Chicago area could have 4 or 5

  Wrigley, Guaranteed Rate, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and possibly Cincy

 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is true too, all are fairly close to one another.

I seen it be option with Texas as one, Chicago/MIL as another and then SoCal as the first option due to weather.

 

I honestly hate when they play WC primetime games and that is just cuz I dont like seeing light there when dark here :) 

 

They will need a bubble though so that one team isnt screwed by positive test like there has been in regular season

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I seen it be option with Texas as one, Chicago/MIL as another and then SoCal as the first option due to weather.

 

I honestly hate when they play WC primetime games and that is just cuz I dont like seeing light there when dark here :) 

 

They will need a bubble though so that one team isnt screwed by positive test like there has been in regular season

Try living on a time zone line

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HOZER said:

Of all the teams to get smoked by....those $&@% southsiders:censored2:

 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that game belongs in the Kid Fail GIF by MOODMAN, The Cards and Brewers both lost as well. So we are still 4 games up on the Cards and 4.5 on the Brewers.

At the end of the day, they had big power hitters and Lester was off from get go. No chance. If it wasnt for their fans it wouldnt be a big deal. It is the annoying white sox fans that make it a pain not even the same city. 

 

It so does. Good it only counts for one, Hendricks needs a good start here. And who knows Sunday could be fun with a strikeout pitcher vs a strikeout team

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

At the end of the day, they had big power hitters and Lester was off from get go. No chance. If it wasnt for their fans it wouldnt be a big deal. It is the annoying white sox fans that make it a pain not even the same city. 

 

It so does. Good it only counts for one, Hendricks needs a good start here. And who knows Sunday could be fun with a strikeout pitcher vs a strikeout team

Yeah I used to work with a White Sox fan and he was a jerk. I am nice guy and hardly ever call anyone names but in 2016 when the Cubs were making their run he would talk smack everytime we lost a playoff game. When the Indians were up 3-1 he was really rubbing it in saying, now it will be 109 years. When the Cubs won the WS he shut his pie hole. Last time they won anything was 2005. The Cubs have been the superior Chicago team since 2015 and it hasn't even been close but without that WS win I wouldn't be able to say that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I used to work with a White Sox fan and he was a jerk. I am nice guy and hardly ever call anyone names but in 2016 when the Cubs were making their run he would talk smack everytime we lost a playoff game. When the Indians were up 3-1 he was really rubbing it in saying, now it will be 109 years. When the Cubs won the WS he shut his pie hole. Last time they won anything was 2005. The Cubs have been the superior Chicago team since 2015 and it hasn't even been close but without that WS win I wouldn't be able to say that.

Even with them losing tonight, all they can do is hit a HR it seems. As we know that doesnt play well for long. Hopefully the Cubs can get some offense back again.

 

And it has been so long for the White Sox to win a WS I hadnt even seen an MLB game yet. I didnt see my first one till like late 2006 season or 2007 season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry can't be sane right now...

two ace starters getting rocked,

.167 BA with the bases loaded, 

fielding errors, poor hitting with RISP, 

yikes looks a lot like the past two years.

Time for Rossy to step up!

 

Glad for the good start. 

 

Still a fan, just disheartened!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Sorry can't be sane right now...

two ace starters getting rocked,

.167 BA with the bases loaded, 

fielding errors, poor hitting with RISP, 

yikes looks a lot like the past two years.

Time for Rossy to step up!

 

Glad for the good start. 

 

Still a fan, just disheartened!!!

We still are in control of things in the NL Central. The #1 thing is winning the division, HFA doesn't matter without fans in the stands. Yu pitches today so maybe we can get one. Leaving guys on base lately does concern me, Cubs have been doing that quite a bit. Lester usually does a pitch a stinker about 1 out of every 3 outings. He has been doing that for years. Hendricks getting rocked is concerning though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The inconsistent Cardinals are back at it. Lost the other night thanks to a Matt Davidson grand slam. Then last night totally dominated the underperforming Reds. Cardinals going for the series win today. Should be an interesting one with Ponce and Mahle on the mound. Might see some runs scored today. 

 

Oakland lost yesterday. Astros lost too so that helped. Angels finally ended their losing streak. Oakland goes for win #20 today. Go Cards and A's!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

The inconsistent Cardinals are back at it. Lost the other night thanks to a Matt Davidson grand slam. Then last night totally dominated the underperforming Reds. Cardinals going for the series win today. Should be an interesting one with Ponce and Mahle on the mound. Might see some runs scored today. 

 

Oakland lost yesterday. Astros lost too so that helped. Angels finally ended their losing streak. Oakland goes for win #20 today. Go Cards and A's!!

Regarding the NL Central, the Cards still scare me more than any team. When healthy they can beat anyone with the lineup they have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding the NL Central, the Cards still scare me more than any team. When healthy they can beat anyone with the lineup they have.

NL Central has been a bit underwhelming so far imo. I expected the Reds to be better. They have a legit offense and rotation. But that bullpen has the 5th worst era. Brewers have been bad. They have almost no pitching. And Yelich has had a brutal start. Cardinals are decent. Offense is a bit sketchy. Bullpen is a strength for them. Rotation is okay. Flaherty and Kim have been really good. Cubs are the class of the division. They should win the division. Do I think they can beat the Dodgers in the playoffs? No. I don't think any team in the NL can. I thought Atlanta could give them a good series but their rotation is depleted after losing Folty and Soroka. Hamels as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...