Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Yeah for sure.

Won't be much baseball this year though. 

Nice to talk about something though.

Yeah, that's too bad. We can always talk baseball history. When I was younger, I enjoyed hearing about the history of baseball on the radio. I also enjoyed reading about it here. 

Whenever you need a good thread to follow, come here. People are nice to each other.

Btw, welcome to the Baseball Thread. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@buccolts What is your all-time great Pirates team? Who are the best Bucs players at their position? 

Does it start with Willie Stargell?

Does it include the guys I am familiar with like:

Doug Drabek?

Van Slyke?

Bonds?

Jay Bell and Jose Lind? (Just kidding but they make a good double play duo)

I remember the 80s and early 90s: Sid Bream, Zane Smith, Bonilla, John Smiley?, 

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@buccolts What is your all-time great Pirates team? Who are the best Bucs players at their position? 

Doug Drabek?

Van Slyke?

Bonds?

Dave Parker.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Doug Drabek?

Van Slyke?

Bonds?

Hey NFLfan,

As much as I love me some Pops, it HAS to start with Clemente, although I will start the list off with 1B.

I got:

1B: Willie Stargell

2B: Bill Mazeroski

SS: Honus Wagner (Dick Groat)

3B: Pie Traynor (Bobby Bonilla, Bill Madlock)

LF: Ralph Kiner 

CF: Barry Bonds (Andrew McCutchen, Andy Van Slyke)

RF: Roberto Clemente (Dave Parker)

C: Manny Sanguillen (Burgess & Kendall were probably better, but really enjoyed watching Manny play. Tony Pena was close behind those 3)

SP: Bob Friend (John Candelaria, Vern Law, Doug Drabek. Not a strong group here for an All-Time, but..?)

RP: Kent Tekulve

So, how do the Cubs put our an all time team without a battery of Bill Hands, and Barry Foote?

13 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Hey NFLfan,

As much as I love me some Pops, it HAS to start with Clemente, although I will start the list off with 1B.

I got:

C: Manny Sanguillen (Burgess & Kendall were probably better, but really enjoyed watching Manny play. Tony Pena was close behind those 3)

SP: Bob Friend (John Candelaria, Vern Law, Doug Drabek. Not a strong group here for an All-Time, but..?)

So, how do the Cubs put our an all time team without a battery of Bill Hands, and Barry Foote?

Pittsburgh put together a pretty solid team.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yankees roster:

C: Yogi Berra

1B: Lou Gehrig, Don Mattingly

2B: Robinson Cano, Tony Lazzeri

SS: Derek Jeter, Phil Rizzuto

3B: Alex Rodriquez, Wade Boggs, Craig Nettles

LF: Mickey Mantle, Dave Winfield

CF: Joe DiMaggio, Bernie Williams, Rickey Henderson

RF: Babe Ruth, Roger Maris

DH: Reggie Jackson

SP: Whitey Ford, Roger Clemons, Andy Pettitte

Closer: Mariano Rivera

No team is competing with this.

The 2nd team will beat most first teams.

Yeah, Yankees have it for sure.   The Cardinals may be the only team who could give them a run.  

Of course they have usually also had the highest payroll in the league.   In a league without a salary cap, it is fair game for them to pay the most.   

39 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Hey NFLfan,

I got:

That Pirates all-time team is beastly, great job @buccolts

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@buccolts, I remember as a young kid I thought Dave Parker was the man! I started watching in the late 70's so I know all about the 1979 Pirates. Like the 2016 Cubs they came back to win the WS after being down 3-1. That is so tough to do. Odds in doing that are like 90 to 1.

Yeah, I sure miss playing AL East teams in the WS. ('60 Yanks, '71 & '79 Orioles).

Those were the days.

Glad we have some new blood in the FO now.

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, I sure miss playing AL East teams in the WS. ('60 Yanks, '71 & '79 Orioles).

Those were the days.

Glad we have some new blood in the FO now.

The NL Central is so tough right now, even the Reds are getting better. It seems like the Pirates get streaky and reel off 5 or 6 wins in a row but they don't maintain it for some reason. 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NL Central is so tough right now, even the Reds are getting better. It seems like the Pirates get streaky and reel off 5 or 6 wins in a row but they don't maintain it for some reason. 

Last year was agonizing. The Pirates season was pretty much a mirror of the Colts. 

The Pirates were on fire going into the All Star break then fell totally apart after it.

I didn't think they were as good as they played early (though we always hope, right?), but I don't think they were as bad as they finished up, either.

Like I said, glad to see us bring in some new blood.

8 hours ago, buccolts said:

Last year was agonizing. The Pirates season was pretty much a mirror of the Colts. 

The Pirates were on fire going into the All Star break then fell totally apart after it.

I didn't think they were as good as they played early (though we always hope, right?), but I don't think they were as bad as they finished up, either.

Like I said, glad to see us bring in some new blood.

Last year was agonizing for me as well. Cubs just melted down the stretch, not sure what this year will bring? I don't like the Cubs pitching but the lineup is very good if not great. Maybe the team got burned out on Maddon and will play harder for Ross??

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last year was agonizing for me as well. Cubs just melted down the stretch, not sure what this year will bring? I don't like the Cubs pitching but the lineup is very good if not great. Maybe the team got burned out on Maddon and will play harder for Ross??

I'll just be happy when it's back.

The latest news from the baseball world is, a 60 game season has been agreed to be played by the owners and players. Opening day will be July 23rd. Teams will play the other teams in their division 10 times = 40 of their games which makes every single game important. Still only 5 teams from each league will make the playoffs.

Is this good or bad for the Cubs? The Cubs over the last 5 seasons have had the 2nd most wins from 2015-2019 in the NL at 471-339, only team record wise that has been better are the Dodgers in that span. Cubs won the World Series in 2016 though, Dodgers have not won one since 1988. Instead of a marathon of a season, I think the 60 game sprint might benefit the Cubs because of health reasons. It is most likely guys like Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez will stay healthy for 60 games. Also Pitchers like Lester and Darvish who are older should benefit from this too. 

Whoever wins the World Series should an asterisk be placed by that team because of a 60 game season? I am not sure on that one??

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The latest news from the baseball world is, a 60 game season has been agreed to be played by the owners and players. Opening day will be July 23rd. Teams will play the other teams in their division 10 times = 40 of their games which makes every single game important. Still only 5 teams from each league will make the playoffs.

Is this good or bad for the Cubs? The Cubs over the last 5 seasons have had the 2nd most wins from 2015-2019 in the NL at 471-339, only team record wise that has been better are the Dodgers in that span. Cubs won the World Series in 2016 though, Dodgers have not won one since 1988. Instead of a marathon of a season, I think the 60 game sprint might benefit the Cubs because of health reasons. It is most likely guys like Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez will stay healthy for 60 games. Also Pitchers like Lester and Darvish who are older should benefit from this too. 

Whoever wins the World Series should an asterisk be placed by that team because of a 60 game season? I am not sure on that one??

Originally I had the Cubs pegged at 81-81/82-80 in that area because I did not think they could stay healthy over 162 games. Also with older Pitchers like Lester and Darvish, I figured the long season would catch up with them.

As of now I can see them making a WildCard in the NL only playing 60 games. I think the Braves will win the East, Dodgers the West, and I can see 3 teams from the Central making the playoffs = Cards as division winners, Brewers and Cubs getting in. Nats are the World Series Champs but I see them taking a step back, most champs do that next season.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Will you feel the same way if the Cubs win the 2020 World Series?

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

60 games is more than 100 fewer games in the season. It will be weird. I don't know what to make of it. However, I will enjoy watching sports for the first time in what seems like years.

In a 60 game season some team that is average could get hot for a short stretch and win it all.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In a 60 game season some team that is average could get hot for a short stretch and win it all.

True. Which team could that be?  :thinking:

Pirates? Reds? Twins?

Top two sleepers: Reds and Twins. Are the Twins really sleepers. (I am asking myself.) Don't know. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those are all good sleepers. Devil Rays too? How about the Mets :billiejean:

I don't know. If we had Thor, I'd say we have a good chance. He is out after having Tommy John surgery. The Braves and Nats are too strong.

This season will be a sprint, and not a marathon like a 162 game season.

I agree that a team not considered a favorite for a 162 game season could get hot and surprise.

I agree the Reds, Twins and Rays fit that, although the Rays were very good last year.

Although every game counts in a 162 game season, they count even more in a 60 game season.

And, since all the teams are in the same situation, then the only reason for an asterick next to the champion's name is that it was a 60 game season.  Whoever wins will earn it, for sure.  And, it should not be viewed as any less of an accomplishment as it would be in a normal year.

On 6/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, NFLfan said:

From what I remember, Maddux was great with the Cubs. I thought he was a better pitcher with the Clubs than with the Braves but it may be my perception. I thought Maddux was great, especially considering that he was pitching in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. 

Fowler is the second best CF in Cubs history? I would have never guessed. Did the Cubs ever have a CF with the last name of Walton? When I first started to follow baseball consistently, the Cubs had Grace, Sandburg, Dunston, Girardi, Dawson. I can't recall the 3B or the LF. In CF, they had a young kid whose name I believe was Walton. At pitcher, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Mike Bielecki. Do you remember those Cubs?

I don't know but they did have a LF named Lou Brock at one time Lol

On 6/28/2020 at 10:51 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Originally I had the Cubs pegged at 81-81/82-80 in that area because I did not think they could stay healthy over 162 games. Also with older Pitchers like Lester and Darvish, I figured the long season would catch up with them.

As of now I can see them making a WildCard in the NL only playing 60 games. I think the Braves will win the East, Dodgers the West, and I can see 3 teams from the Central making the playoffs = Cards as division winners, Brewers and Cubs getting in. Nats are the World Series Champs but I see them taking a step back, most champs do that next season.

I must disagree on one thing . The Reds are probably Stronger than you might think they will come into play.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but for only 3 full seasons. I kind of based my lineup on longevity. Lou was more of a Cardinal IMO. How you doing Jay? All is well here, just been working a lot.

Same here doing well been really busy , have a huge garden with a longtime childhood friend be reaping the rewards within a couple weeks.

Reds may be better than Cubs, seriously.

They are a team that no one can count out. Although this short season with some funny nuances will carry an asterisk , I'm still really looking forward to some live sports. MLF has been my only source of sports entertainment Lol. Major League Fishing

I can't wait for July 23rd, lets hope it lasts. Yeah IMO I think whoever wins it an asterisk does belong but a championship is a championship. Whoever wins it all still deserves it.

Yes but you will never be able to compare it with other Championship teams and seasons in my opinion. Never the less its still MLB

On 6/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, NFLfan said:

True. Which team could that be?  :thinking:

Pirates? Reds? Twins?

Top two sleepers: Reds and Twins. Are the Twins really sleepers. (I am asking myself.) Don't know. 

No the Twins are no sleeper Lol

Archived