Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Baseball owners have voted to start the season this year on July 1st. What do you all think? I'm looking forward to some semblance of normalcy. So, I welcome that but I also want players and fans to be safe. I hope we can find a good balance. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Baseball owners have voted to start the season this year on July 1st. What do you all think? I'm looking forward to some semblance of normalcy. So, I welcome that but I also want players and fans to be safe. I hope we can find a good balance. 

MLBPA players have to approve it to

On 5/11/2020 at 5:59 PM, NFLfan said:

Don't rub it in our faces. :P

Seriously, the Cardinals are a great baseball club with a storied history. 

Well lets hope we can all add history this year , even though it will need an asterisk with it . It sounds fairly certain the season owners and MLB came up starts in July 1rst with no fans and a location still being worked on. I will be glad to watch some baseball but accomplishments wont mean much.  Sorry PT I just seen you posted on the start of season.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here would be a cool Final 4:

2016 Cubs vs the 2011 Cardinals for the NLCS

1998 Yankees vs the 2004 Red Sox for the ALCS

I would pay top dollar to watch that and eat popcorn :popcorn:. Me watching that = homer simpson diet GIF

Except any Yankees-Red Sox game lasts at least 4 hours...stock up on the popcorn!

On 5/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is the rivalry that those teams have. Biggest in Baseball. That is why I named that final 4. That final 4 would break records with people watching.

Oh, I agree...just hard to watch sometimes.  When those two play any other team, the game moves along.  But when those two face each other, it's a marathon.  If it's a primetime game, then it will last to nearly midnight, or sometimes later.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN had Game 7 of the 2016 WS on earlier. What made this fun to watch again is they had Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and Joe Maddon on live talking about the game. I am happy the Cubs just won after being down 3-1 in the series. Bryant says he can't wait for the season to start up again. Maddon said that will always be the greatest team he ever managed. Bryant said once the team fell behind 3-1 and everyone in the media said the series was over the team played loose the rest of the games. Strange but that team was special and figured at that point all the pressure was on the Indians to close them out.

I started watching Baseball around the late 70's and the greatest teams I have ever seen by my test (individual 1 year teams) are:

1. 1998 NY Yankees = 125-50 combined Regular Season and Playoff record. They had it all, Pitching and Hitting.

2. 1986 NY Mets = 116-59 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

3. 2016 Chicago Cubs = 114-64 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

4. 1984 Detroit Tigers = 111-59 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

-Those 4 teams just dominated in those seasons listed. It took the 1986 Mets and 2016 Cubs 7 games to win the WS but the competition they were playing was outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

As of now having a Baseball season is up in the air. The players can't seem to agree to a deal. I am all for an 81 game season = half a season and just keeping 5 teams in each league making the playoffs. They could fit 81 games in easily between July-September (that is 92 days) and than start the playoffs in October. The Nationals deserve the right to defend their World Championship. Hard to believe it is going 4 years since our Cubs won the WS in 2016 @HOZER, it is time for another Championship. Anyway I hope everyone is doing well and Baseball returns soon. chicago cubs baseball GIF by MLB - after the Cubs won it all in 2016.

Any idea if and when MLB will have a season? If baseball is not played, I don't know how football will. Baseball is not the contact sport that football is. My friend who is the NY Giants season-ticket holder says that he expects football to be played the whole season but with stadiums empty or partially full. I don't know why baseball cannot do that. 

:hissy: I want sports! Let's go Mets. 

jacob degrom sport GIF by New York Mets

new york mets thor GIF by MLB

On 5/26/2020 at 11:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I started watching Baseball around the late 70's and the greatest teams I have ever seen by my test (individual 1 year teams) are:

1. 1998 NY Yankees = 125-50 combined Regular Season and Playoff record. They had it all, Pitching and Hitting.

2. 1986 NY Mets = 116-59 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

3. 2016 Chicago Cubs = 114-64 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

4. 1984 Detroit Tigers = 111-59 combined Regular Season and Playoff record.

-Those 4 teams just dominated in those seasons listed. It took the 1986 Mets and 2016 Cubs 7 games to win the WS but the competition they were playing was outstanding.

Any of these 4 teams could beat each other on any given day. The 1998 Yankees might not necessarily be the best. It would be cool if we could have these matchups in simulation in 7 game series.

#1 1998 Yankees vs #4 1984 Tigers

#2 1986 Mets vs #3 2016 Cubs

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Any of these 4 teams could beat each other on any given day. The 1998 Yankees might not necessarily be the best. It would be cool if we could have these matchups in simulation in 7 game series.

#1 1998 Yankees vs #4 1984 Tigers

#2 1986 Mets vs #3 2016 Cubs

In that case Mets win, Mets win. :)

I always felt bad for Buckner. He received lots of hate mail and death threats (similar to Bartman). It only got better for him when the Red Sox finally won the World Series many years later. 

Here is my updated all-time Cubs team as of June 14th, 2020:

Leading off: CF - Dexter Fowler

Batting 2nd: 3B - Kris Bryant

Batting 3rd: 2B - Ryne Sandberg

Batting 4th: RF - Andre Dawson

Batting 5th: 1B - Anthony Rizzo

Batting 6th: SS - Ernie Banks

Batting 7th: LF - Billy Williams

Batting 8th: C - Wilson Contreras

Batting 9th: P - Jake Arrieta

My starting Pitcher to win 1 game would be Jake Arrieta - throws right. I would bring in Fergie Jenkins in for middle relief - throws right, Aroldis Chapman to close - throws left.

Pinch Hitter: RF - Sammy Sosa if I need one

Pinch Runner: 2B - Javi Baez if I need one

If a game was with the DH, I would take Sammy Sosa as well.

Manager: Joe Maddon

@HOZER, what do you think? I can't see anyone beating that team.

If anyone is wondering why I chose Fowler as my CF it is because he is a leader, great fielder, and was clutch in 2016. When he got a lead off hit in 2016 to start a game, the Cubs won 75% of the time.

Dexter Fowler? Shouldn't be on any all time team, imo.

What about Greg Maddox? Arrieta over him? 

Joe Giraldi? Just a great battey mate.

Seems to be a lot of active guys on that team.

I think a few of teams could be put together to beat that team. 

Yankees for 1.

Good list though.

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yankees for 1.

Good list though.

Jake, Chapman and Bryant are among his favorite of all time. 

I might take Mark Grace over Rizzo. That's blasphemy around here. Rizzo is godly here and I love the guy, but Grace was a really good player. 

Who would I put on the Mets all-time team? Seaver over Gooden. David Wright, Gary Carter or Piazza??, Strawberry. I gotta think. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yankees for 1.

Good list though.

Reason why I took Jake over Maddox is because during the 2016 WS he was 2-0. He was just more clutch to me. Maddox has had a better career but most of that was with the Braves. Fergie Jenkins has the most wins in Cubs history so I had to have him. Other than Rivera from the Yankees, I would take Chapman over anyone in the history of the game to close. To me a team needs chemistry just as much as HOFamers. In Game 7 of the WS Fowler led the game off with a HR and set the tone. You can't look at Fowler the last 3 years with the Cards, he isn't the same player. Look at the Fowler on the Cubs when he batted .276 and his OB% was nearly .400 plus he was a great fielder. He obviously isn't an all-time great but what he brought to the Cubs was priceless IMO.

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I might take Mark Grace over Rizzo. That's blasphemy around here. Rizzo is godly here and I love the guy, but Grace was a really good player. 

Who would I put on the Mets all-time team? Seaver over Gooden. David Wright, Gary Carter or Piazza??, Strawberry. I gotta think. 

I considered Grace but Rizzo and Bryant have perfect chemistry. 

Regarding the Mets, in 1985 I have seen almost nobody dominate like Dwight Gooden did. I would take Gary Carter over Piazza.

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Also it is not really about who someone favorites are, it is who you trust more to win a big game. After what I seen in the 2016 WS, I am handing the ball to Jake. Cubs hadn't won a WS in 108 years until those 3 guys came along you named. According to the Chicago tribune, Fowler is the 2nd best CF the Cubs have ever had as well. Hack Wilson was rated #1. I would still take Fowler just for that 1 position. I can see starting Seaver over Gooden, that makes sense because Seaver like Gooden won a WS with the Mets. The problem with Maddux was he never had any playoff success with the Cubs. He was more of a Brave to me.

Also it is not really about who someone favorites are, it is who you trust more to win a big game. After what I seen in the 2016 WS, I am handing the ball to Jake. Cubs hadn't won a WS in 108 years until those 3 guys came along you named. According to the Chicago tribune, Fowler is the 2nd best CF the Cubs have ever had as well. Hack Wilson was rated #1. I would still take Fowler just for that 1 position. I can see starting Seaver over Gooden, that makes sense because Seaver like Gooden won a WS with the Mets. The problem with Maddux was he never had any playoff success with the Cubs. He was more of a Brave to me.

From what I remember, Maddux was great with the Cubs. I thought he was a better pitcher with the Clubs than with the Braves but it may be my perception. I thought Maddux was great, especially considering that he was pitching in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. 

Fowler is the second best CF in Cubs history? I would have never guessed. Did the Cubs ever have a CF with the last name of Walton? When I first started to follow baseball consistently, the Cubs had Grace, Sandburg, Dunston, Girardi, Dawson. I can't recall the 3B or the LF. In CF, they had a young kid whose name I believe was Walton. At pitcher, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Mike Bielecki. Do you remember those Cubs?

According to the Chicago tribune, Fowler is the 2nd best CF the Cubs have ever had as well. 

We are talking Dexter Fowler, right?    Spent only 2 seasons with the Cubs.   Batted .250 and .276 in those seasons.   He's very good defensively, but he is the 2nd best CF ever for the Cubs?   Wow!

As a Cardinals fan it is even more odd that the worst signing the Cardinals did in the past decade was the 2nd best CF the Cubs ever had.

50 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

From what I remember, Maddux was great with the Cubs. I thought he was a better pitcher with the Clubs than with the Braves but it may be my perception. I thought Maddux was great, especially considering that he was pitching in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. 

Fowler is the second best CF in Cubs history? I would have never guessed. Did the Cubs ever have a CF with the last name of Walton? When I first started to follow baseball consistently, the Cubs had Grace, Sandburg, Dunston, Girardi, Dawson. I can't recall the 3B or the LF. In CF, they had a young kid whose name I believe was Walton. At pitcher, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Mike Bielecki. Do you remember those Cubs?

Maddux had 1 great year with the Cubs = 1992, he was an all-time great with the Braves. Jake was a better Cub. Maddux never won a playoff game with the Cubs. Sutcliffe was awesome in 1984, I remember all those Cubs. The Cubs haven't had many great CF's. I think Fowler was ranked 2nd because what he brought to the team. Hack Wilson is a HOFamer.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

We are talking Dexter Fowler, right?    Spent only 2 seasons with the Cubs.   Batted .250 and .276 in those seasons.   He's very good defensively, but he is the 2nd best CF ever for the Cubs?   Wow!

As a Cardinals fan it is even more odd that the worst signing the Cardinals did in the past decade was the 2nd best CF the Cubs ever had.

You are looking at him as a Card. In 2016 Fowler batted .276 and his OB% was .393 which is great. Hack Wilson probably would've been a better choice. Of course I could stick anyone in CF but the defense wouldn't be there.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Myles, he isn't near the player with the Cards that he was with the Cubs. Just different. I am surprised he hasn't been good with you guys. He has never been great but was a good player in 2015 and in 2016 with the Cubs.

I was just more surprised with a history as long as the Cubs history that his is the 2nd best they have had.   Like you said, he was a good player with the Cubs.  

Just now, Myles said:

I was just more surprised with a history as long as the Cubs history that his is the 2nd best they have had.   Like you said, he was a good player with the Cubs.  

Yeah we have not had many greats to play that position for some reason. I went way back and looked haha . Hack Wilson was truly the best and played a long time ago.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is my updated all-time Cubs team as of June 14th, 2020:

Leading off: CF - Dexter Fowler

Batting 2nd: 3B - Kris Bryant

Batting 3rd: 2B - Ryne Sandberg

Batting 4th: RF - Andre Dawson

Batting 5th: 1B - Anthony Rizzo

Batting 6th: SS - Ernie Banks

Batting 7th: LF - Billy Williams

Batting 8th: C - Wilson Contreras

Batting 9th: P - Jake Arrieta

My starting Pitcher to win 1 game would be Jake Arrieta - throws right. I would bring in Fergie Jenkins in for middle relief - throws right, Aroldis Chapman to close - throws left.

Pinch Hitter: RF - Sammy Sosa if I need one

Pinch Runner: 2B - Javi Baez if I need one

If a game was with the DH, I would take Sammy Sosa as well.

Manager: Joe Maddon

For the Cardinals I would throw out there:

1st - Albert Pujos

2nd - Roger Hornsby

3rd - Ken Boyer

Short - Ozzie Smith

Left - Enos Slaughter

Center - Jim Edmonds

Right - Stan Musial

Catcher - Yodier Molina

Starting Picture - Bob Gibson

Relief - Bruce Sutter and Todd Worrell

I like my chances against the Cubs best.  

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

For the Cardinals I would throw out there:

1st - Albert Pujos

2nd - Roger Hornsby

3rd - Ken Boyer

Short - Ozzie Smith

Left - Enos Slaughter

Center - Jim Edmonds

Right - Stan Musial

Catcher - Yodier Molina

Starting Picture - Bob Gibson

Relief - Bruce Sutter and Todd Worrell

I like my chances against the Cubs best.  

Yeah that would be tough to beat, thanks for posting this. I love this stuff in this boring time. Gibson was so great. I remember the game when Ryne Sandberg hit 2 HR's off of Sutter in the same game, that was in 1984. Cubs won that game 12-11. Musial was a special player so is Pujos. Ozzie was a defensive master.

Yankees roster:

C: Yogi Berra

1B: Lou Gehrig, Don Mattingly

2B: Robinson Cano, Tony Lazzeri

SS: Derek Jeter, Phil Rizzuto

3B: Alex Rodriquez, Wade Boggs, Craig Nettles

LF: Mickey Mantle, Dave Winfield

CF: Joe DiMaggio, Bernie Williams, Rickey Henderson

RF: Babe Ruth, Roger Maris

DH: Reggie Jackson

SP: Whitey Ford, Roger Clemons, Andy Pettitte

Closer: Mariano Rivera

No team is competing with this.

The 2nd team will beat most first teams.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yankees roster:

Better make sure you have the lead going to the 8th because I have Chapman who throws 104 MPH :thmup:. Nothing against players back in the 20's-50's but nobody could throw 100 MPH back then. I would love to see the Babe try to hit a Aroldis Chapman pitch, not saying he can't but I would want to see it. 

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yankees roster:

Agreed

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Better make sure you have the lead going to the 8th because I have Chapman who throws 104 MPH :thmup:. Nothing against players back in the 20's-50's but nobody could throw 100 MPH back then. I would love to see the Babe try to hit a Aroldis Chapman pitch, not saying he can't but I would want to see it. 

I guess, the Yankees can claim Chapman too. He can pitch the 8th.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I guess, the Yankees can claim Chapman too. He can pitch the 8th.

True, Yankees have had everyone it seems. I could throw in Jon Lester for some relief and even add Maddux haha - they never played for the Yankees. I think between Rivera and Chap it is pretty even. Rivera gets the nod but barely IMO. 

35 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yankees roster:

Nobody is beating that team.

Thanks @2006Coltsbestever. We get a chance to talk sports again. :)

Archived