Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

Recommended Posts

Question on those here who are Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on Marquee starting on Saturday. You guys able to watch? I will watch on MLB.tv until school ends then gotta figure it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Question on those here who are Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on Marquee starting on Saturday. You guys able to watch? I will watch on MLB.tv until school ends then gotta figure it out. 

Not sure how I feel about this. I can always follow games on MLB.com anyway. On another note, David Ross announced that Kris Bryant will be his leadoff hitter starting the season, with Rizzo batting 2nd. He said Bryant wants the challenge and that Bryant is fast and a great base runner. I am assuming Baez will bat 3rd and Contreras will be clean up. Not sure though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

 

Everyone is talking about the Astros and the Commissioner's lack of punishment.  Still some good players available and I'm sure teams will need to add due to spring training injuries.

I think the only thing that will make the Astros scandal go away is to have their WS Title vacated. That in itself is punishing all the players on that team as well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the only thing that will make the Astros scandal go away is to have their WS Title vacated. That in itself is punishing all the players on that team as well. 

 

I posted this on another thread:

 

From what I've seen and read, the Astros player and owner reactions have been sub-par.  None really accepting the blame and they all want to move on and prepare for this season.

 

However, the league has done next to nothing to punish them for the sign stealing.  A $5 million fine and loss of draft picks for the next two years.  Pretty minor stuff for an established organization that won't be hurt much with the loss of draft picks.  Nothing really that affects the players and coaches that were involved.  They investigated, found them guilty, then didn't impose a proper punishment.

 

I believe a lot of Astros hitters will get beaned this season as opposing players will take matters into their own hands.  But, those other players will get fined, suspended, etc.

 

IF MLB had handed down punishment via taking away their 2017 WS title, imposing suspensions for all current or former coaches and players who were involved, then I think the retaliation this season would be minimal, for the most part.  I could see the Dodgers doing something in retaliation regardless of punishment by MLB.

 

I wonder what the reaction would have been under previous commissioners going all they way back to Bowie Kuhn.  I think each of them would have handed down some serious punishment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

 

I posted this on another thread:

 

From what I've seen and read, the Astros player and owner reactions have been sub-par.  None really accepting the blame and they all want to move on and prepare for this season.

 

However, the league has done next to nothing to punish them for the sign stealing.  A $5 million fine and loss of draft picks for the next two years.  Pretty minor stuff for an established organization that won't be hurt much with the loss of draft picks.  Nothing really that affects the players and coaches that were involved.  They investigated, found them guilty, then didn't impose a proper punishment.

 

I believe a lot of Astros hitters will get beaned this season as opposing players will take matters into their own hands.  But, those other players will get fined, suspended, etc.

 

IF MLB had handed down punishment via taking away their 2017 WS title, imposing suspensions for all current or former coaches and players who were involved, then I think the retaliation this season would be minimal, for the most part.  I could see the Dodgers doing something in retaliation regardless of punishment by MLB.

 

I wonder what the reaction would have been under previous commissioners going all they way back to Bowie Kuhn.  I think each of them would have handed down some serious punishment.

I agree. I like the fact the GM and Manager got fired but IMO vacating their Title would be the ultimate sting. That would take away their rings. It is just not baseball players that are upset by this. Football and Basketball players are talking about this in a negative way too. LeBron James thinks it is a joke what the Astros did and that Manfred has no idea what he is doing. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Question on those here who are Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on Marquee starting on Saturday. You guys able to watch? I will watch on MLB.tv until school ends then gotta figure it out. 

It looks like I will be able to watch the network but not the games on Direct

 

   Will listen to the games that I want to on SiriusXM

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure how I feel about this. I can always follow games on MLB.com anyway. On another note, David Ross announced that Kris Bryant will be his leadoff hitter starting the season, with Rizzo batting 2nd. He said Bryant wants the challenge and that Bryant is fast and a great base runner. I am assuming Baez will bat 3rd and Contreras will be clean up. Not sure though.

 

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It looks like I will be able to watch the network but not the games on Direct

 

   Will listen to the games that I want to on SiriusXM

I mean 2006 who is your carrier if you still have one?

 

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I mean 2006 who is your carrier if you still have one?

 

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

I have U-Verse. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I mean 2006 who is your carrier if you still have one?

 

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

I hope that’s the case, I’m going to call Direct TV and get the channel added to my package.

 

 

BTW, this really sucks, was hoping Marquee would hire Kelly Krull to continue in some way, but she’s off to Atlanta. Really liked her :Cry:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-kelly-crull-braves-fox-sports-south-20200220-jsqyqpmc6jhxrhvclboqzbdvou-story.html%3foutputType=amp

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I hope that’s the case, I’m going to call Direct TV and get the channel added to my package.

 

 

BTW, this really sucks, was hoping Marquee would hire Kelly Krull to continue in some way, but she’s off to Atlanta. Really liked her :Cry:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-kelly-crull-braves-fox-sports-south-20200220-jsqyqpmc6jhxrhvclboqzbdvou-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Damn that sucks. I liked her. Goes to show the great times don't last forever. We will always have our 2015-2018 run forever regarding most wins in the league in that span and our non-cheated WS win in 2016. Moving forward I hope the Cubs shock everyone and have a great 2020.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

I mean 2006 who is your carrier if you still have one?

 

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

Thank You GIF by chuber channel
 

   I have the RSN package

     In the past we have just been outside the market here in the Pocket

        We are considered in the St Louis and Cincinnati umbrella

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the only thing that will make the Astros scandal go away is to have their WS Title vacated. That in itself is punishing all the players on that team as well. 

 

I agree. I also believe that not enough has been said about the Red Sox cheating scandal. Weren't the Red Sox found to have stolen signs too on their way to winning the World Series a few years ago? I saw something showing David Ortiz criticizing the guy who helped expose the Astros' sign-stealing, calling the guy a snitch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I wonder what the reaction would have been under previous commissioners going all they way back to Bowie Kuhn.  I think each of them would have handed down some serious punishment.

 

Former Commish Fay Vincent would not have tolerated any of this. The players would have faced severe punishment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LeBron James thinks it is a joke what the Astros did

 

Lebron believes what Manfred did is a joke. He believes the punishment is not enough.

 

He said:

"Listen I know I don't play baseball but I am in Sports and I know if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F* irate! I mean like uncontrollable about what I would/could do!" James wrote on Twitter.

 

"Listen here baseball commissioner listen to your players speaking today about how disgusted, mad, hurt, broken, etc etc about this. Literally the ball is in your court(or should I say field) and you need to fix this for the sake of Sports!"

 

Link: Lebron Criticizes Baseball

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Lebron believes what Manfred did is a joke. He believes the punishment is not enough.

 

He said:

"Listen I know I don't play baseball but I am in Sports and I know if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F* irate! I mean like uncontrollable about what I would/could do!" James wrote on Twitter.

 

"Listen here baseball commissioner listen to your players speaking today about how disgusted, mad, hurt, broken, etc etc about this. Literally the ball is in your court(or should I say field) and you need to fix this for the sake of Sports!"

 

Link: Lebron Criticizes Baseball

There is no LeBron James in Baseball, he is a God in Basketball so if he got cheated out of a Title in Basketball and it was found out to be true, that team's Title would be vacated. Then again Silverman is actually the best Commish is sports IMO. He blows Stern away and makes Goodell look bad. 

 

To your above your post, the league is still investigating the Red Sox, most people think they are guilty like the Astros as well. The investigation isn't over yet is why they are not getting slammed like the Astros are. It's coming though :thmup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing the subject for a moment, there is a big Heavyweight fight this weekend = Wilder vs Fury. 2 best out there today, an interviewer is walking around Vegas  asking people if Mike Tyson in his prime would beat either mike tyson GIFlmao . 1988 Tyson would destroy either of these dudes. video game GIF  = remember this game lmao . The guy with the big belly was known has King Hippo :funny:, only way to beat him was to hit him in the belly. When you fought Tyson, the only way to beat him was not to get hit so it was possible but you had to fight perfect to do it. I beat him 3 times (some things you never forget haha ) but I fought him like 500 times or so back in the day. When I won I avoided getting hit which is almost impossible to do. It takes total concentration. Once he lands 1 punch it is over because it zaps almost all your energy.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, HOZER said:

I hope that’s the case, I’m going to call Direct TV and get the channel added to my package.

 

 

BTW, this really sucks, was hoping Marquee would hire Kelly Krull to continue in some way, but she’s off to Atlanta. Really liked her :Cry:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-kelly-crull-braves-fox-sports-south-20200220-jsqyqpmc6jhxrhvclboqzbdvou-story.html%3foutputType=amp

 

22 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thank You GIF by chuber channel
 

   I have the RSN package

     In the past we have just been outside the market here in the Pocket

        We are considered in the St Louis and Cincinnati umbrella

Ya from what Ik Hozer, is that it will not be activated until tomorrow morning around 8 or 1pm. Also the game is now at 6:10 time

 

Ah, you may want to recheck and see if they changed it. From one thing I saw it was all of Indiana for MSN. I know for myself I gotta do mlb.tv just since I am in Royals/Cards territory at school

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

 

Ya from what Ik Hozer, is that it will not be activated until tomorrow morning around 8 or 1pm. Also the game is now at 6:10 time

 

Ah, you may want to recheck and see if they changed it. From one thing I saw it was all of Indiana for MSN. I know for myself I gotta do mlb.tv just since I am in Royals/Cards territory at school

Called them this morning and they were clueless, lol, directed me to the Marquee website. Also resisted when I told them I wanted to drop the additional regional sports channels that I was paying for and still only getting half the games, no need for them now if I’ll have Marquee, and Colts games are local so don’t have to worry about those.
 

You are correct, can’t get it until tomorrow. Game was moved due to weather I believe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Changing the subject for a moment, there is a big Heavyweight fight this weekend = Wilder vs Fury. 2 best out there today, an interviewer is walking around Vegas  asking people if Mike Tyson in his prime would beat either mike tyson GIFlmao . 1988 Tyson would destroy either of these dudes. video game GIF  = remember this game lmao . The guy with the big belly was known has King Hippo :funny:, only way to beat him was to hit him in the belly. When you fought Tyson, the only way to beat him was not to get hit so it was possible but you had to fight perfect to do it. I beat him 3 times (some things you never forget haha ) but I fought him like 500 times or so back in the day. When I won I avoided getting hit which is almost impossible to do. It takes total concentration. Once he lands 1 punch it is over because it zaps almost all your energy.

Man I loved that game!!! Remember the “power glove?” Didn’t work very well but it was still fun to wear, lol! My all time favorite Nintendo game from that era is Contra, awesome game!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball season officially starts today my friends, well preseason, but still!!! Yeah Baby!!!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Baseball season officially starts today my friends, well preseason, but still!!! Yeah Baby!!!!!!

 

I noticed that! I saw two scores on my phone. Mets losing to the Marlins and Cardinals. Glad it is preseason. haha

 

How did the Cubs do?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

 

I noticed that! I saw two scores on my phone. Mets losing to the Marlins and Cardinals. Glad it is preseason. haha

 

How did the Cubs do?

5-0 in the 4th so far, Contreras first to score with a HR!!! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, HOZER said:

Called them this morning and they were clueless, lol, directed me to the Marquee website. Also resisted when I told them I wanted to drop the additional regional sports channels that I was paying for and still only getting half the games, no need for them now if I’ll have Marquee, and Colts games are local so don’t have to worry about those.
 

You are correct, can’t get it until tomorrow. Game was moved due to weather I believe? 

As you saw yes. Did you get it to work today? Im only mlb.tv so i wasnt worrying but idk i saw some were having issues still

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, HOZER said:

Called them this morning and they were clueless, lol, directed me to the Marquee website. Also resisted when I told them I wanted to drop the additional regional sports channels that I was paying for and still only getting half the games, no need for them now if I’ll have Marquee, and Colts games are local so don’t have to worry about those.
 

You are correct, can’t get it until tomorrow. Game was moved due to weather I believe? 

 

What is Marquee? A television station/channel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

What is Marquee? A television station/channel?

Yes it’s the Cubs ownerships/Sinclair broadcasting new channel dedicated to the Cubs. Ended some long standing traditions including the Cubs on WGN, bit a lot of us are hoping it’ll lead to being able to watch more Cubs games in the region, many of us got blacked out for half the games due to network nonsense.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

I noticed that! I saw two scores on my phone. Mets losing to the Marlins and Cardinals. Glad it is preseason. haha

 

How did the Cubs do?


 

 Cubs win, 12-2! Long way to go, but I’ll take it!!! I won’t post the flag just yet since it’s preseason, lol!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Changing the subject for a moment, there is a big Heavyweight fight this weekend = Wilder vs Fury. 2 best out there today, an interviewer is walking around Vegas  asking people if Mike Tyson in his prime would beat either mike tyson GIFlmao . 1988 Tyson would destroy either of these dudes. video game GIF  = remember this game lmao . The guy with the big belly was known has King Hippo :funny:, only way to beat him was to hit him in the belly. When you fought Tyson, the only way to beat him was not to get hit so it was possible but you had to fight perfect to do it. I beat him 3 times (some things you never forget haha ) but I fought him like 500 times or so back in the day. When I won I avoided getting hit which is almost impossible to do. It takes total concentration. Once he lands 1 punch it is over because it zaps almost all your energy.

I don't think he could beat Fury , first time I had seen him very impressive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOZER said:


 

 Cubs win, 12-2! Long way to go, but I’ll take it!!! I won’t post the flag just yet since it’s preseason, lol!

I have not watched the Cards Game , although I seen highlights of KK [ Kim ] pitching nasty slider both corners great control. On another note Brett Cecil looked good as well. I don't think the Cards will be hurting for pitching.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

I don't think he could beat Fury , first time I had seen him very impressive 

IMO he would be too fast for Fury. Tyson is a lot faster with his combo's than Wilder, Wilder's jaw is suspect too. Fury did look great last night, hats off to him. He is the best right now :thmup:.

 

Remember I am talking prime Mike Tyson (1986-1988) not the Mike that fought Lennox Lewis in 2002.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed the Cubs games online as I was out of town over the weekend, just got home, checked, and no Marquee channel yet. I am supposed to have it as it’s included in my package, but it’s not available. After waiting 20+ minutes on customer service, they said theres an issue with Direct TV and Marquee, and their engineers are working on getting it sorted out. Hope they get it “sorted out” by opening day, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I followed the Cubs games online as I was out of town over the weekend, just got home, checked, and no Marquee channel yet. I am supposed to have it as it’s included in my package, but it’s not available. After waiting 20+ minutes on customer service, they said theres an issue with Direct TV and Marquee, and their engineers are working on getting it sorted out. Hope they get it “sorted out” by opening day, lol!

I have it on mine, it is channel 740 on U-Verse. I just scrolled through the guide and they have stuff on like best of Cubs and Cubs classic games, etc.. Great stuff!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have it on mine, it is channel 740 on U-Verse. I just scrolled through the guide and they have stuff on like best of Cubs and Cubs classic games, etc.. Great stuff!

664 for Direct TV, It shows the channel on guide, but nothing there when you select it. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HOZER said:

664 for Direct TV, It shows the channel on guide, but nothing there when you select it. :dunno:

Strange. You should have it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 8:13 PM, HOZER said:

Man I loved that game!!! Remember the “power glove?” Didn’t work very well but it was still fun to wear, lol! My all time favorite Nintendo game from that era is Contra, awesome game!

IMO Mike Tyson is the GOAT. From 1985 up until Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 he was a machine. He was 37-0 with 33 KO's until Douglas beat him. He was knocking guys out that were like 6'3 - 6'5 230 pounds like it was nothing. He had tremendous speed and power in both hands and was always in shape for every fight until the Douglas fight. In reality you can only look at those 5 years and judge him, so he finished 37-1 with 33 KO's. You can't count anything after he went to prison because he clearly wasn't the same fighter, was pudgy at times, and wasn't near as fast. When he went to prison it ruined his career. When Douglas beat him in Japan, Tyson admitted he didn't even train for the fight and wasn't in true fighting shape and took Douglas for granted. He actually knocked Douglas down in the 8th round of that fight and Douglas got a 13 count, the Ref gave Douglas a huge break. Douglas went on to KO Tyson in the 10th. Douglas also was fighting on pure emotion as his mom just passed away and he trained his butt off for that fight.

 

People can say Ali is the GOAT all they want but I would take the version of 1988 Mike Tyson all day over anyone. The one that knocked out Michael Spinks in 1 round. That same Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes twice when Larry was still in his prime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Mike Tyson is the GOAT. From 1985 up until Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 he was a machine. He was 37-0 with 33 KO's until Douglas beat him. He was knocking guys out that were like 6'3 - 6'5 230 pounds like it was nothing. He had tremendous speed and power in both hands and was always in shape for every fight until the Douglas fight. In reality you can only look at those 5 years and judge him, so he finished 37-1 with 33 KO's. You can't count anything after he went to prison because he clearly wasn't the same fighter, was pudgy at times, and wasn't near as fast. When he went to prison it ruined his career. When Douglas beat him in Japan, Tyson admitted he didn't even train for the fight and wasn't in true fighting shape and took Douglas for granted. He actually knocked Douglas down in the 8th round of that fight and Douglas got a 13 count, the Ref gave Douglas a huge break. Douglas went on to KO Tyson in the 10th. Douglas also was fighting on pure emotion as his mom just passed away and he trained his butt off for that fight.

 

People can say Ali is the GOAT all they want but I would take the version of 1988 Mike Tyson all day over anyone. The one that knocked out Michael Spinks in 1 round. That same Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes twice when Larry was still in his prime.

To add to this, the 3 best Heavy WT's I have ever seen live and on film are:

1. Mike Tyson (Prime - 5'10 220) - Total package. Great speed and power in both hands.

 

2. Muhammad Ali (Prime - 6'3 220) - Best footwork of all-time and was fast with both hands - great speed with both hands, good power, and very smart at wearing opponents down.

 

3. George Foreman (Prime - 6'4 230) - He was Mike Tyson before Mike but didn't have the speed in both hands Mike had. His power was like Mike's though.

 

Honorable Mention would be Joe Frazier (Prime - 6'0 210). Frazier gave Ali fits. Frazier was just an all around great fighter. He had great speed in both hands and for a guy that fought at around 210 in a lot of fights, he had pretty good power.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to this, the 3 best Heavy WT's I have ever seen live and on film are:

1. Mike Tyson (Prime - 5'10 220) - Total package. Great speed and power in both hands.

 

2. Muhammad Ali (Prime - 6'3 220) - Best footwork of all-time and was fast with both hands - great speed with both hands, good power, and very smart at wearing opponents down.

 

3. George Foreman (Prime - 6'4 230) - He was Mike Tyson before Mike but didn't have the speed in both hands Mike had. His power was like Mike's though.

 

Honorable Mention would be Joe Frazier (Prime - 6'0 210). Frazier gave Ali fits. Frazier was just an all around great fighter. He had great speed in both hands and for a guy that fought at around 210 in a lot of fights, he had pretty good power.


Tyson definitely is no doubt the heavyweight GOAT, no arguments from me.
 

My personal favorite is still Julio César Chavez...little info on him from wiki...

 

Chávez holds records for the most total successful defenses of world titles (27, shared with Omar Narváez), most title fight victories and fighters beaten for the title (both at 31), and most title fights (37); he has the second most title defenses won by knockout (21, after Joe Louis with 23). His fight record was 89 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw before his first professional loss to Frankie Randall in 1994, before which he had an 87-fight win streak until his draw with Pernell Whitaker in 1993. Chávez's 1993 win over Greg Haugen at the Estadio Azteca set the record for the largest attendance for an outdoor boxing match: 136,274.[

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange. You should have it.


It finally started working today! Watching replay of Rockies game right now, looks like Lester had a rough outing, hoping he gets those out of the way early this year, last year didn’t end well for him.

Just now, HOZER said:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HOZER said:


It finally started working today! Watching replay of Rockies game right now, looks like Lester had a rough outing, hoping he gets those out of the way early this year, last year didn’t end well for him.

Glad it is now working for you. I figured it would, must've been a glitch with DirectTV for a few days. Yeah that channel is all Cubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HOZER said:


Tyson definitely is no doubt the heavyweight GOAT, no arguments from me.
 

My personal favorite is still Julio César Chavez...little info on him from wiki...

 

Chávez holds records for the most total successful defenses of world titles (27, shared with Omar Narváez), most title fight victories and fighters beaten for the title (both at 31), and most title fights (37); he has the second most title defenses won by knockout (21, after Joe Louis with 23). His fight record was 89 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw before his first professional loss to Frankie Randall in 1994, before which he had an 87-fight win streak until his draw with Pernell Whitaker in 1993. Chávez's 1993 win over Greg Haugen at the Estadio Azteca set the record for the largest attendance for an outdoor boxing match: 136,274.[

 

Chavez is arguably the best pound for pound fighter of all-time IMO. My personal favorite growing up was Sugar Ray Leonard. He was the total package as well. Duran was the only guy to beat Leonard when Leonard was in his prime - that was a close decision. Leonard won the rematch with an 8 round TKO. Leonard also took out Hearns and Hagler when those fighters were in their prime. The competition back in the 80's was so unreal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Out of curiosity, who do you think will be starting over Okereke?  I think we'll see a lot of dime/nickel packages which will make him or Walker come out of the game.. but if I had to guess, I'd think the starting LBs this year will be Leonard, Walker and Bobby O (I think he's certainly capable of being an upgrade to Adams or Franklin -- and right now, https://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart#scroll-defense, the depth chart has him listed as our starting SAM).     Rivers has played with Sproles and Ekeler and utilized them both very well... I think Reich said something about Hines having potential to develop into a Sproles-like player when he was first drafted.. I expect Hines and Rivers will form a solid bond and we'll see Hines (and Campbell) as kind of all-purpose guys on this offense.     If he wasn't a pro-athlete and his uncle wasn't a HOFer, nobody would talk about what Kelly did.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but I imagine many posters on this board have gotten drunk and did something stupid or regrettable at least once in their life time.         Not sure how old you are, but I highly doubt you went through the ages of 18-22 without doing something questionable.  You probably weren't a D-1 football player with a HOF Uncle, so nobody probably really cared to judge you on a public forum.   ____________________________________________________   I think we're going to see a lot of breakout players this year.  The thing Reich talks about a lot is that there will be some weeks where guys will play major roles and others where they will be pretty quiet.  Reich and Sirianni seem to be very adaptable with their offense and they stress the fact that we don't have selfish players on the team.  I think we'll see guys like Hines and Campbell play huge roles in some games and in others we'll hardly see them on the field.   Here's my list:   Hines -- not only as an RB/flex type of guy, but as a returner.  He really became impressive late last year as a punt returner.  If he keeps that up, I could see him being a pro-bowler as a return specialist.  I also see Rivers being able to utilize him a lot better than Brissett did on offense.   Campbell -- kid is a freak athlete.  He showed flashes of being able to play a very versatile role in the offense when healthy last year.... he just needs to keep himself on the field instead of in the trainer's office.   Ya-Sin -- he really came on late last year.  With additions of Buckner, development from Banogu and Turay and our LBers, we have (on paper) a better pass rush.  Should make Ya-Sin's life a lot easier.   Tell -- I was mostly impressed by him last year and he made a position change from college.  I think we'll see him on the field a lot more this year, and if I had to guess he'll be covering bigger TEs quite a bit.   Braden Smith -- Big Q gets a lot of media hype and credit (well deserved), but I don't think Smith is too far off from being a pro-bowl caliber OL.  With the addition of Rivers and the rookie RB, I think our whole OL is going to get a lot more credit this year.   TY -- If he stays healthy, I think the improved QB play is really going to benefit him.   Okereke  -- I see him taking a starting role and really improving.  He played very well last year, especially late in the season.  With a better DL in front of him and more experience, I expect him to really blossom.   Walker -- The addition of Buckner should make AW's life a bit easier.. again, Leonard gets a lot of well deserved credit and attention from our LB corps, but Walker quietly had a very solid year last year.   Hooker -- Contract year and an improved pass rush should really help him out.  Also, I expect the development of Ya-Sin and Tell, with a healthy Kenny Moore and the additions of Rhodes and others, Hooker will have more help from his DB unit as a whole.   Willis -- he had a very solid rookie year, I think his athleticism has him near his 'ceiling' early in his career, but again, improved play in front of him should help him out.   EJ Speed -- Ballard says he's as athletic of an LBer that we have, but came from a small school and was raw as a rookie.  I don't know how much time he'll get on D, but I expect him to be on the field more there and also to excel on STs.   Turay -- he was coming on last year... the addition of Buckner drawing attention from OLs should really help our entire DL.  Turay's workout videos look as though he's really putting in work... hopefully he stays healthy. Banogu -- like Turay, the guy is a very solid athlete who was pretty raw coming out of college.  I anticipate he'll make a similar jump in year 2.   Xavier Rhodes -- not sure if I'd call it a breakout year, as he's been an all-pro before.  Even though he was a probowler last year, it was his worst season to date.. I think he'll fit in very well with this D.   Grover Stewart -- He was a project pick and really started to develop last year.  I think having Buckner next to him will really help him step up.   Autry -- Hunt played pretty terrible last year (or at least digressed from his 2018), and I don't think it had positive effects on Autry.. having Buckner and a healthy Turay along with Justin Houston and others should really help him out.   Le'Raven Clark -- I don't know if he'll see the field, but I won't be shocked at all if replaces Glow, or if Smith moves to RG and Clark moves to RT.     Trey Burton -- he's a Reich guy and (if healthy) I think he can be a very good fit on this offense.   Asthon Dulin -- Don't think he'll be on the field much on O, but he was definitely improving last year.  I do, however, think he'll crack our roster and contribute significantly on STs.   Reece Fountain/Pascal -- I think these guys will be in the 4-6 WR roles, but, with improved QB play and with the addition of Pittman and Patmon, and the hopeful healthiness of TY and Pascal, I think when these guys are on the field, they'll have a lot better chance of being put in favorable matchups.  I thought Pascal played well last year, but with JB digressing as the season went on and with him sometimes being utilized as our #1 WR, I don't think he had the best situation.   Marlon Mack -- I don't know that his stats will go up, per se... but I think with the addition of Taylor (both taking workload off Mack and being a different type of back), that when Mack gets his number called, he's going to be very successful.   *I won't be shocked if Fountain and/or Dulin don't make the team, but if they do, I think they'll be all right for us and improved from last year (maybe not 'breakouts', but certainly should be in better positions with improved QB play and supporting cast).
    • Very glad to see how much influence Mathis has had on Turay.  It's always cool to see an ex-Colt great contributing and helping out our young talent.  Seems as though Reggie helps a bit, but I don't recall anyone like Mathis who remained so involved with the horseshoe and helping develop young talent so much.   Also, very cool to hear how appreciative Turay is of Mathis.  He seems like a good dude.
    • Part of what makes a player great over his career is longevity.  The rule of thumb I have always heard for HOF selection is 'a decade of dominance.'  Unless you really change the game, you have to have ~a decade of being an elite player to get in (an exception may be a guy like Megatron, because his combo of size, speed, power, hands, etc. in some ways revolutionized the game of football).   Leonard is certainly off to a good start.. and by a stats comparison, a better start than Lewis.  Lewis was not an all-pro (first or second team) as a rookie.  He was 2nd team in his 2nd and 3rd years, and again in 2010.  He was first team 7 times.   Leonard was a first team all pro as a rookie, which is very rare.  He was 2nd team in year 2, a year in which he missed 3+ games.  Leonard was the defensive rookie of the year (Simeon Rice got that award when Lewis was a rookie).  At the same points in their careers, Leonard has proven to be better at causing turnovers (his INT numbers are outstanding for a LBer)... but, he also plays in a different scheme and a different position (most of the time), so that's hard to really judge.   Lewis was a 2x NFL Defensive Player of the Year.  Leonard has not done that yet.  I don't doubt that he's capable of it, but he hasn't.  Lewis was a 2x Superbowl Champion and a 1x SB MVP, both things which Leonard hasn't accomplished.  Lewis was a 13x pro-bowler.. like Leonard, he missed out his rookie year.  Lewis is also on the 2000's all-decade team as the best at his position during that decade.   In terms of off-field stuff, Leonard seems to have less baggage than Lewis did at a young age.  That said, Lewis did seem to clean up his act after that alleged murder incident.  He also seems to be a pretty solid guy now and has several charities and does a lot for young minority communities.     In terms of on-field leadership, Lewis was outstanding.  I don't know how long that took, as I don't follow Baltimore as intensely as I do Indy (i.e., was he a captain in his second year and a tremendous leader of men as a rookie? I don't know).  Leonard, was named team captain in his 2nd year, and he was a leader right out of the gates.  From all interviews and things I've read, his coaches and teammates view him as the leader of the Indy D and seemingly have after just a few games as a rookie -- that's rare.   In short, Leonard is off to a heckuva start to his career.... but, let's hold off on comparing him to a first-ballot HOFer.  If he keeps it up for another 8-12 years, this thread deserves to be revisited.  
    • I am not calling Barkley a choker because when he went to  Philly they were not the same team that had won the finale in 1983. When he played for Phoenix they were a 50% team. His last 4 years with Houston he only stated 152 games in four years due to injury. He averaged 22.1 pts and 11.7 rebounds in his career. In the playoffs he averaged 23 pts and 12.9 rebounds.  He was the rebound leader in 1987 at 6'5".  He was the MVP in 1993. He also was the team leader for both Gold Medals in the Olympics in 1992 and 1996.  Sorry IMO those are not choker numbers. 
    • I find it very unlikely a team signs Kelly off our practice squad. If we want to run 3 QBs and keep Kelly on the PS we probably can.
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 20,961

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,868

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HOZER

      HOZER 4,507

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • indyblue

      indyblue 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Thunderbolt

      Thunderbolt 289

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bravo4460

      bravo4460 1,744

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • UKColt13

      UKColt13 1,433

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jchandler7

      jchandler7 313

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...