Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Question on those here who are Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on Marquee starting on Saturday. You guys able to watch? I will watch on MLB.tv until school ends then gotta figure it out. 

Not sure how I feel about this. I can always follow games on MLB.com anyway. On another note, David Ross announced that Kris Bryant will be his leadoff hitter starting the season, with Rizzo batting 2nd. He said Bryant wants the challenge and that Bryant is fast and a great base runner. I am assuming Baez will bat 3rd and Contreras will be clean up. Not sure though.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Everyone is talking about the Astros and the Commissioner's lack of punishment.  Still some good players available and I'm sure teams will need to add due to spring training injuries.

I think the only thing that will make the Astros scandal go away is to have their WS Title vacated. That in itself is punishing all the players on that team as well. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the only thing that will make the Astros scandal go away is to have their WS Title vacated. That in itself is punishing all the players on that team as well. 

I posted this on another thread:

From what I've seen and read, the Astros player and owner reactions have been sub-par.  None really accepting the blame and they all want to move on and prepare for this season.

However, the league has done next to nothing to punish them for the sign stealing.  A $5 million fine and loss of draft picks for the next two years.  Pretty minor stuff for an established organization that won't be hurt much with the loss of draft picks.  Nothing really that affects the players and coaches that were involved.  They investigated, found them guilty, then didn't impose a proper punishment.

I believe a lot of Astros hitters will get beaned this season as opposing players will take matters into their own hands.  But, those other players will get fined, suspended, etc.

IF MLB had handed down punishment via taking away their 2017 WS title, imposing suspensions for all current or former coaches and players who were involved, then I think the retaliation this season would be minimal, for the most part.  I could see the Dodgers doing something in retaliation regardless of punishment by MLB.

I wonder what the reaction would have been under previous commissioners going all they way back to Bowie Kuhn.  I think each of them would have handed down some serious punishment.

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

I posted this on another thread:

From what I've seen and read, the Astros player and owner reactions have been sub-par.  None really accepting the blame and they all want to move on and prepare for this season.

However, the league has done next to nothing to punish them for the sign stealing.  A $5 million fine and loss of draft picks for the next two years.  Pretty minor stuff for an established organization that won't be hurt much with the loss of draft picks.  Nothing really that affects the players and coaches that were involved.  They investigated, found them guilty, then didn't impose a proper punishment.

I believe a lot of Astros hitters will get beaned this season as opposing players will take matters into their own hands.  But, those other players will get fined, suspended, etc.

IF MLB had handed down punishment via taking away their 2017 WS title, imposing suspensions for all current or former coaches and players who were involved, then I think the retaliation this season would be minimal, for the most part.  I could see the Dodgers doing something in retaliation regardless of punishment by MLB.

I wonder what the reaction would have been under previous commissioners going all they way back to Bowie Kuhn.  I think each of them would have handed down some serious punishment.

I agree. I like the fact the GM and Manager got fired but IMO vacating their Title would be the ultimate sting. That would take away their rings. It is just not baseball players that are upset by this. Football and Basketball players are talking about this in a negative way too. LeBron James thinks it is a joke what the Astros did and that Manfred has no idea what he is doing. 

Question on those here who are Cubs fans, what are your thoughts on Marquee starting on Saturday. You guys able to watch? I will watch on MLB.tv until school ends then gotta figure it out. 

It looks like I will be able to watch the network but not the games on Direct

Will listen to the games that I want to on SiriusXM

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure how I feel about this. I can always follow games on MLB.com anyway. On another note, David Ross announced that Kris Bryant will be his leadoff hitter starting the season, with Rizzo batting 2nd. He said Bryant wants the challenge and that Bryant is fast and a great base runner. I am assuming Baez will bat 3rd and Contreras will be clean up. Not sure though.

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It looks like I will be able to watch the network but not the games on Direct

Will listen to the games that I want to on SiriusXM

I mean 2006 who is your carrier if you still have one?

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

And PT DirectTV has their deal in place, and I believe all of Indiana is considered Cubs territory for the network which would mean you should be able to watch the games if you still live there. 

I hope that’s the case, I’m going to call Direct TV and get the channel added to my package.

BTW, this really sucks, was hoping Marquee would hire Kelly Krull to continue in some way, but she’s off to Atlanta. Really liked her :Cry:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-kelly-crull-braves-fox-sports-south-20200220-jsqyqpmc6jhxrhvclboqzbdvou-story.html%3foutputType=amp

10 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I hope that’s the case, I’m going to call Direct TV and get the channel added to my package.

BTW, this really sucks, was hoping Marquee would hire Kelly Krull to continue in some way, but she’s off to Atlanta. Really liked her :Cry:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-kelly-crull-braves-fox-sports-south-20200220-jsqyqpmc6jhxrhvclboqzbdvou-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Damn that sucks. I liked her. Goes to show the great times don't last forever. We will always have our 2015-2018 run forever regarding most wins in the league in that span and our non-cheated WS win in 2016. Moving forward I hope the Cubs shock everyone and have a great 2020.

4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Thank You GIF by chuber channel

I have the RSN package

In the past we have just been outside the market here in the Pocket

We are considered in the St Louis and Cincinnati umbrella

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. I also believe that not enough has been said about the Red Sox cheating scandal. Weren't the Red Sox found to have stolen signs too on their way to winning the World Series a few years ago? I saw something showing David Ortiz criticizing the guy who helped expose the Astros' sign-stealing, calling the guy a snitch.

7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Former Commish Fay Vincent would not have tolerated any of this. The players would have faced severe punishment.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LeBron James thinks it is a joke what the Astros did

Lebron believes what Manfred did is a joke. He believes the punishment is not enough.

He said:

"Listen I know I don't play baseball but I am in Sports and I know if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F* irate! I mean like uncontrollable about what I would/could do!" James wrote on Twitter.

"Listen here baseball commissioner listen to your players speaking today about how disgusted, mad, hurt, broken, etc etc about this. Literally the ball is in your court(or should I say field) and you need to fix this for the sake of Sports!"

Link: Lebron Criticizes Baseball

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lebron believes what Manfred did is a joke. He believes the punishment is not enough.

He said:

"Listen I know I don't play baseball but I am in Sports and I know if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F* irate! I mean like uncontrollable about what I would/could do!" James wrote on Twitter.

"Listen here baseball commissioner listen to your players speaking today about how disgusted, mad, hurt, broken, etc etc about this. Literally the ball is in your court(or should I say field) and you need to fix this for the sake of Sports!"

Link: Lebron Criticizes Baseball

There is no LeBron James in Baseball, he is a God in Basketball so if he got cheated out of a Title in Basketball and it was found out to be true, that team's Title would be vacated. Then again Silverman is actually the best Commish is sports IMO. He blows Stern away and makes Goodell look bad. 

To your above your post, the league is still investigating the Red Sox, most people think they are guilty like the Astros as well. The investigation isn't over yet is why they are not getting slammed like the Astros are. It's coming though :thmup:

Changing the subject for a moment, there is a big Heavyweight fight this weekend = Wilder vs Fury. 2 best out there today, an interviewer is walking around Vegas  asking people if Mike Tyson in his prime would beat either mike tyson GIFlmao . 1988 Tyson would destroy either of these dudes. video game GIF  = remember this game lmao . The guy with the big belly was known has King Hippo :funny:, only way to beat him was to hit him in the belly. When you fought Tyson, the only way to beat him was not to get hit so it was possible but you had to fight perfect to do it. I beat him 3 times (some things you never forget haha ) but I fought him like 500 times or so back in the day. When I won I avoided getting hit which is almost impossible to do. It takes total concentration. Once he lands 1 punch it is over because it zaps almost all your energy.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, HOZER said:

22 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thank You GIF by chuber channel

I have the RSN package

In the past we have just been outside the market here in the Pocket

We are considered in the St Louis and Cincinnati umbrella

Ya from what Ik Hozer, is that it will not be activated until tomorrow morning around 8 or 1pm. Also the game is now at 6:10 time

Ah, you may want to recheck and see if they changed it. From one thing I saw it was all of Indiana for MSN. I know for myself I gotta do mlb.tv just since I am in Royals/Cards territory at school

Ya from what Ik Hozer, is that it will not be activated until tomorrow morning around 8 or 1pm. Also the game is now at 6:10 time

Ah, you may want to recheck and see if they changed it. From one thing I saw it was all of Indiana for MSN. I know for myself I gotta do mlb.tv just since I am in Royals/Cards territory at school

Called them this morning and they were clueless, lol, directed me to the Marquee website. Also resisted when I told them I wanted to drop the additional regional sports channels that I was paying for and still only getting half the games, no need for them now if I’ll have Marquee, and Colts games are local so don’t have to worry about those.

You are correct, can’t get it until tomorrow. Game was moved due to weather I believe? 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Changing the subject for a moment, there is a big Heavyweight fight this weekend = Wilder vs Fury. 2 best out there today, an interviewer is walking around Vegas  asking people if Mike Tyson in his prime would beat either mike tyson GIFlmao . 1988 Tyson would destroy either of these dudes. video game GIF  = remember this game lmao . The guy with the big belly was known has King Hippo :funny:, only way to beat him was to hit him in the belly. When you fought Tyson, the only way to beat him was not to get hit so it was possible but you had to fight perfect to do it. I beat him 3 times (some things you never forget haha ) but I fought him like 500 times or so back in the day. When I won I avoided getting hit which is almost impossible to do. It takes total concentration. Once he lands 1 punch it is over because it zaps almost all your energy.

Man I loved that game!!! Remember the “power glove?” Didn’t work very well but it was still fun to wear, lol! My all time favorite Nintendo game from that era is Contra, awesome game!

21 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Baseball season officially starts today my friends, well preseason, but still!!! Yeah Baby!!!!!!

I noticed that! I saw two scores on my phone. Mets losing to the Marlins and Cardinals. Glad it is preseason. haha

How did the Cubs do?

On 2/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, HOZER said:

Called them this morning and they were clueless, lol, directed me to the Marquee website. Also resisted when I told them I wanted to drop the additional regional sports channels that I was paying for and still only getting half the games, no need for them now if I’ll have Marquee, and Colts games are local so don’t have to worry about those.

You are correct, can’t get it until tomorrow. Game was moved due to weather I believe? 

As you saw yes. Did you get it to work today? Im only mlb.tv so i wasnt worrying but idk i saw some were having issues still

On 2/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, HOZER said:

What is Marquee? A television station/channel?

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What is Marquee? A television station/channel?

Yes it’s the Cubs ownerships/Sinclair broadcasting new channel dedicated to the Cubs. Ended some long standing traditions including the Cubs on WGN, bit a lot of us are hoping it’ll lead to being able to watch more Cubs games in the region, many of us got blacked out for half the games due to network nonsense.

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I noticed that! I saw two scores on my phone. Mets losing to the Marlins and Cardinals. Glad it is preseason. haha

How did the Cubs do?

Cubs win, 12-2! Long way to go, but I’ll take it!!! I won’t post the flag just yet since it’s preseason, lol!

On 2/21/2020 at 3:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think he could beat Fury , first time I had seen him very impressive 

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Cubs win, 12-2! Long way to go, but I’ll take it!!! I won’t post the flag just yet since it’s preseason, lol!

I have not watched the Cards Game , although I seen highlights of KK [ Kim ] pitching nasty slider both corners great control. On another note Brett Cecil looked good as well. I don't think the Cards will be hurting for pitching.

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

I don't think he could beat Fury , first time I had seen him very impressive 

IMO he would be too fast for Fury. Tyson is a lot faster with his combo's than Wilder, Wilder's jaw is suspect too. Fury did look great last night, hats off to him. He is the best right now :thmup:.

Remember I am talking prime Mike Tyson (1986-1988) not the Mike that fought Lennox Lewis in 2002.

I followed the Cubs games online as I was out of town over the weekend, just got home, checked, and no Marquee channel yet. I am supposed to have it as it’s included in my package, but it’s not available. After waiting 20+ minutes on customer service, they said theres an issue with Direct TV and Marquee, and their engineers are working on getting it sorted out. Hope they get it “sorted out” by opening day, lol!

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I followed the Cubs games online as I was out of town over the weekend, just got home, checked, and no Marquee channel yet. I am supposed to have it as it’s included in my package, but it’s not available. After waiting 20+ minutes on customer service, they said theres an issue with Direct TV and Marquee, and their engineers are working on getting it sorted out. Hope they get it “sorted out” by opening day, lol!

I have it on mine, it is channel 740 on U-Verse. I just scrolled through the guide and they have stuff on like best of Cubs and Cubs classic games, etc.. Great stuff!

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have it on mine, it is channel 740 on U-Verse. I just scrolled through the guide and they have stuff on like best of Cubs and Cubs classic games, etc.. Great stuff!

664 for Direct TV, It shows the channel on guide, but nothing there when you select it. :dunno:

On 2/21/2020 at 8:13 PM, HOZER said:

Man I loved that game!!! Remember the “power glove?” Didn’t work very well but it was still fun to wear, lol! My all time favorite Nintendo game from that era is Contra, awesome game!

IMO Mike Tyson is the GOAT. From 1985 up until Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 he was a machine. He was 37-0 with 33 KO's until Douglas beat him. He was knocking guys out that were like 6'3 - 6'5 230 pounds like it was nothing. He had tremendous speed and power in both hands and was always in shape for every fight until the Douglas fight. In reality you can only look at those 5 years and judge him, so he finished 37-1 with 33 KO's. You can't count anything after he went to prison because he clearly wasn't the same fighter, was pudgy at times, and wasn't near as fast. When he went to prison it ruined his career. When Douglas beat him in Japan, Tyson admitted he didn't even train for the fight and wasn't in true fighting shape and took Douglas for granted. He actually knocked Douglas down in the 8th round of that fight and Douglas got a 13 count, the Ref gave Douglas a huge break. Douglas went on to KO Tyson in the 10th. Douglas also was fighting on pure emotion as his mom just passed away and he trained his butt off for that fight.

People can say Ali is the GOAT all they want but I would take the version of 1988 Mike Tyson all day over anyone. The one that knocked out Michael Spinks in 1 round. That same Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes twice when Larry was still in his prime.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Mike Tyson is the GOAT. From 1985 up until Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 he was a machine. He was 37-0 with 33 KO's until Douglas beat him. He was knocking guys out that were like 6'3 - 6'5 230 pounds like it was nothing. He had tremendous speed and power in both hands and was always in shape for every fight until the Douglas fight. In reality you can only look at those 5 years and judge him, so he finished 37-1 with 33 KO's. You can't count anything after he went to prison because he clearly wasn't the same fighter, was pudgy at times, and wasn't near as fast. When he went to prison it ruined his career. When Douglas beat him in Japan, Tyson admitted he didn't even train for the fight and wasn't in true fighting shape and took Douglas for granted. He actually knocked Douglas down in the 8th round of that fight and Douglas got a 13 count, the Ref gave Douglas a huge break. Douglas went on to KO Tyson in the 10th. Douglas also was fighting on pure emotion as his mom just passed away and he trained his butt off for that fight.

People can say Ali is the GOAT all they want but I would take the version of 1988 Mike Tyson all day over anyone. The one that knocked out Michael Spinks in 1 round. That same Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes twice when Larry was still in his prime.

To add to this, the 3 best Heavy WT's I have ever seen live and on film are:

1. Mike Tyson (Prime - 5'10 220) - Total package. Great speed and power in both hands.

2. Muhammad Ali (Prime - 6'3 220) - Best footwork of all-time and was fast with both hands - great speed with both hands, good power, and very smart at wearing opponents down.

3. George Foreman (Prime - 6'4 230) - He was Mike Tyson before Mike but didn't have the speed in both hands Mike had. His power was like Mike's though.

Honorable Mention would be Joe Frazier (Prime - 6'0 210). Frazier gave Ali fits. Frazier was just an all around great fighter. He had great speed in both hands and for a guy that fought at around 210 in a lot of fights, he had pretty good power.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to this, the 3 best Heavy WT's I have ever seen live and on film are:

1. Mike Tyson (Prime - 5'10 220) - Total package. Great speed and power in both hands.

2. Muhammad Ali (Prime - 6'3 220) - Best footwork of all-time and was fast with both hands - great speed with both hands, good power, and very smart at wearing opponents down.

3. George Foreman (Prime - 6'4 230) - He was Mike Tyson before Mike but didn't have the speed in both hands Mike had. His power was like Mike's though.

Honorable Mention would be Joe Frazier (Prime - 6'0 210). Frazier gave Ali fits. Frazier was just an all around great fighter. He had great speed in both hands and for a guy that fought at around 210 in a lot of fights, he had pretty good power.

Tyson definitely is no doubt the heavyweight GOAT, no arguments from me.

My personal favorite is still Julio César Chavez...little info on him from wiki...

Chávez holds records for the most total successful defenses of world titles (27, shared with Omar Narváez), most title fight victories and fighters beaten for the title (both at 31), and most title fights (37); he has the second most title defenses won by knockout (21, after Joe Louis with 23). His fight record was 89 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw before his first professional loss to Frankie Randall in 1994, before which he had an 87-fight win streak until his draw with Pernell Whitaker in 1993. Chávez's 1993 win over Greg Haugen at the Estadio Azteca set the record for the largest attendance for an outdoor boxing match: 136,274.[

On 2/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange. You should have it.

It finally started working today! Watching replay of Rockies game right now, looks like Lester had a rough outing, hoping he gets those out of the way early this year, last year didn’t end well for him.

Just now, HOZER said:

6 minutes ago, HOZER said:

It finally started working today! Watching replay of Rockies game right now, looks like Lester had a rough outing, hoping he gets those out of the way early this year, last year didn’t end well for him.

Glad it is now working for you. I figured it would, must've been a glitch with DirectTV for a few days. Yeah that channel is all Cubs. 

9 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Tyson definitely is no doubt the heavyweight GOAT, no arguments from me.

My personal favorite is still Julio César Chavez...little info on him from wiki...

Chávez holds records for the most total successful defenses of world titles (27, shared with Omar Narváez), most title fight victories and fighters beaten for the title (both at 31), and most title fights (37); he has the second most title defenses won by knockout (21, after Joe Louis with 23). His fight record was 89 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw before his first professional loss to Frankie Randall in 1994, before which he had an 87-fight win streak until his draw with Pernell Whitaker in 1993. Chávez's 1993 win over Greg Haugen at the Estadio Azteca set the record for the largest attendance for an outdoor boxing match: 136,274.[

Chavez is arguably the best pound for pound fighter of all-time IMO. My personal favorite growing up was Sugar Ray Leonard. He was the total package as well. Duran was the only guy to beat Leonard when Leonard was in his prime - that was a close decision. Leonard won the rematch with an 8 round TKO. Leonard also took out Hearns and Hagler when those fighters were in their prime. The competition back in the 80's was so unreal.

Archived