Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I read that Aaron won 1 World Series with the Milwaukee Braves in 1957.

Yes, Aaron was on the Braves 1957 WS winning team. He actually hit 44 HR's that year, won NL MVP as well.

• Thanks 1

To me as far as accomplishments are concerned, the trifecta would be winning Rookie of the Year, winning League MVP, and being on a team where you were a main cog/reason for a winning a WS (got that ring). Kris Bryant has done all 3 already. He could retire tomorrow and be considered in the great category. Of course not HOFame material because he doesn't have the numbers yet, still a young player.

I'm trying to be optimistic on the Cardinals chance of making the post season in 2020.  It's tough though.  Losing Ozuna stinks.   They haven't really added much.  The Cardinals have been resilient in the past, so I have hope for 2020.

I expect the division to be even tougher than 2019.

My guess at this point:

Cubs - 91-71

Reds - 86-76

Cardinals - 85-77

Brewers - 80-82

Pirates - 71-91

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm trying to be optimistic on the Cardinals chance of making the post season in 2020.  It's tough though.  Losing Ozuna stinks.   They haven't really added much.  The Cardinals have been resilient in the past, so I have hope for 2020.

I expect the division to be even tougher than 2019.

My guess at this point:

Cubs - 91-71

Reds - 86-76

Cardinals - 85-77

Brewers - 80-82

Pirates - 71-91

It is still too early to predict but I hate to say as of now I have it:

Cards 90-72

Brewers 88-74

Cubs 82-80

Reds 81-81

Pirates 73-89

-Cubs need to find a way to keep Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras and add an Ace pitcher somehow, otherwise we will be around .500 IMO. We already lost Hamels. I still see the Cards being the best in the division. I picked them to win the division even last season if you guys remember. To me the Cubs were better on paper on last season than they look now.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is still too early to predict but I hate to say as of now I have it:

Cards 90-72

Brewers 88-74

Cubs 82-80

Reds 81-81

Pirates 73-89

-Cubs need to find a way to keep Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras and add an Ace pitcher somehow, otherwise we will be around .500 IMO. We already lost Hamels. I still see the Cards being the best in the division. I picked them to win the division even last season if you guys remember. To me the Cubs were better on paper on last season than they look now.

Well, I hope your prediction comes true!

Cubs are still very good and maybe a new manager will turn things around for them.  They do need an ace, but so do the Brewers.  Not sure Brewers pitching is good enough for 2nd place on the Central.

I expect the Reds to improve, Pirates stay about the same.

11 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Well, I hope your prediction comes true!

Cubs are still very good and maybe a new manager will turn things around for them.  They do need an ace, but so do the Brewers.  Not sure Brewers pitching is good enough for 2nd place on the Central.

I expect the Reds to improve, Pirates stay about the same.

Yeah Reds were 75-87 last season, I see them improving to being .500. I see the Cards, Brewers, and Cubs about the same as last year as of now. Cubs have made no big moves so far.

I see the Mike Moustakas move from the Brewers to the Reds as a move that will put the Reds over the Brewers in the standings.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I see the Mike Moustakas move from the Brewers to the Reds as a move that will put the Reds over the Brewers in the standings.

I still think the Brewers are good for around 87 or 88 wins but I agree that the Reds will improve bigtime. I have them at .500 now.

• Like 1

The Reds have been the most active over the winter.  I live in Louisville, home of the AAA affiliate of the Reds, so there's always been a lot of Reds fans in this area.  We're just 100 miles from Cincinnati.

Hope they can improve...very loyal fans and they haven't had much to cheer for in a long time.

Whichever team can avoid major injuries and have a player or two perform above their usual level may be the one to win the division.

• Like 1

After last season, the Cubs have to prove it to me now whether or not they can be the team they were from 2015-2018. I do not expect 103 wins and a WS win like in 2016 lol but 90 wins should be the goal with the lineup we have. Without an ACE pitcher I don't see it though, I see us around .500 without an ACE. Darvish may be good but he isn't an ACE, Lester and Hendricks are in the same boat IMO. Lester was an ACE 3 years ago. The Cubs bullpen is inconsistent as hell too. Maybe David Ross will be a breath of fresh air as manager, that by itself may help the team. Maddon was great but wore out his welcome.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After last season, the Cubs have to prove it to me now whether or not they can be the team they were from 2015-2018. I do not expect 103 wins and a WS win like in 2016 lol but 90 wins should be the goal with the lineup we have. Without an ACE pitcher I don't see it though, I see us around .500 without an ACE. Darvish may be good but he isn't an ACE, Lester and Hendricks are in the same boat IMO. Lester was an ACE 3 years ago. The Cubs bullpen is inconsistent as hell too. Maybe David Ross will be a breath of fresh air as manager, that by itself may help the team. Maddon was great but wore out his welcome.

Good point, and as a Cardinals fan, I hope they never get that ace!

• Haha 1