Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

 

That is $35 million a year. Wow!

 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Nats just re-signed Stephen Strasburg to a 7 year/245 million dollar contract. So he remains a Nat.

Now just wait till Cole signs as he will have a bigger deal than Strasburg. I am seeing reports that they expect it to be more than 300 million. Rendon also unlikely to go back to Nats now

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!  Been gone a bit due to work schedule.  It's Hot Stove and Winter Meetings time!!!

 

My Cardinals have done zilch and I don't expect them to do much this off season.  They'll bank on comeback years by a couple of guys and figure that's good enough.  No Ozuna or Goldschmidt type action this off season like the past 2 years.  They have too many bad contracts they have to carry another year or two.

 

On an unrelated note - love the Padres in brown again!  The new Brewers uniforms are nice, too.  Meh, on the Rangers new duds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Hey everyone!  Been gone a bit due to work schedule.  It's Hot Stove and Winter Meetings time!!!

 

My Cardinals have done zilch and I don't expect them to do much this off season.  They'll bank on comeback years by a couple of guys and figure that's good enough.  No Ozuna or Goldschmidt type action this off season like the past 2 years.  They have too many bad contracts they have to carry another year or two.

 

On an unrelated note - love the Padres in brown again!  The new Brewers uniforms are nice, too.  Meh, on the Rangers new duds.

 

Welcome back! The Mets have not done much either except lose Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. I'm not a big fan of high-priced free agents; so, I am ok with not acquiring top free agents. Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

 

I would like to see the uniforms that you are referring to. Do you have a link to an article? I will try to find one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Welcome back! The Mets have not done much either except lose Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. I'm not a big fan of high-priced free agents; so, I am ok with not acquiring top free agents. Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

 

I would like to see the uniforms that you are referring to. Do you have a link to an article? I will try to find one. 

Cubs have done something. They said bye to Cole Hamels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Breaking news: I knew it was coming. Gerrit Cole just signed with the Yankees. I called it. 9 years/324 Million good grief!

 

Just nuts. I don't want the Mets to sign any high-priced free agents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Breaking news: I knew it was coming. Gerrit Cole just signed with the Yankees. I called it. 9 years/324 Million good grief!

My insights were correct! I knew he was getting over 300 million!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

 

 

My Cardinals have done zilch and I don't expect them to do much this off season.  They'll bank on comeback years by a couple of guys and figure that's good enough.  No Ozuna or Goldschmidt type action this off season like the past 2 years.  They have too many bad contracts they have to carry another year or two.

 

 

Yeah not much action from the Cardinals.   They may even lose Ozuna.  I think they offered him a contract and he said he will test the waters.   I hope he comes back.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yeah not much action from the Cardinals.   They may even lose Ozuna.  I think they offered him a contract and he said he will test the waters.   I hope he comes back.  

 

 

Right, he turned down the qualifying offer.  He could still sign with St. Louis, but he wants much more than he's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Welcome back! The Mets have not done much either except lose Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. I'm not a big fan of high-priced free agents; so, I am ok with not acquiring top free agents. Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

 

I would like to see the uniforms that you are referring to. Do you have a link to an article? I will try to find one. 

 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/12/04/texas-rangers-go-powder-blue-unveil-five-new-uniforms/

 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/18/glove-love-brewers-unveil-new-logos-and-uniforms/

 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/09/padres-are-back-in-brown-unveil-new-uniforms-and-logos/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

 

Right, he turned down the qualifying offer.  He could still sign with St. Louis, but he wants much more than he's worth.

I agree.   He played real well the last half of last season.  We certainly don't have someone to replace him with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who do most of you Colts fans follow? Since Indiana doesn't have a MLB team.

 

I follow the 76ers in the NBA and Rockies in the MLB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that the Mets were looking to sign former Cardinals pitcher Michael Wacha. Cheap deal; so, I don't mind.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Who do most of you Colts fans follow? Since Indiana doesn't have a MLB team.

 

I follow the 76ers in the NBA and Rockies in the MLB.

I am a huge Cubs fan, have been since the 1984 season. Most people that live in Indy are usually either a Cubs or Reds fan. Some are Cards fans too. It is a midwest thing is my guess. The Cubs were really good in 1984 and always on TV here locally back then. As a 12 year old I just became a fan listening to Harry Caray and I liked Ryne Sandberg. I have had a lot misery over the years but 2016 made it worth while finally winning it all. I will always be grateful to guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, and Chapman. I waited 32 years as a fan for that championship :thmup:.

 

Others in here:

Jay is a Cards fan

Hozer is a Cubs fan

Barry is a Cards fan

Myles is a Cards fan

NFLfan is a Mets fan

Princeton is a Cubs fan

Punters are People is a Cubs fan

Hippie is a Reds fan

Buccolts is a Pirates fan

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Thanks for posting. I like all the uniforms. I like the Brewers' one very much. 

You know how I feel about the Brewers and their fans :funny: , YUCK to them haha . 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You know how I feel about the Brewers and their fans :funny: , YUCK to them haha . 

 

I know. Lol. But that has nothing to do with their unis. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a huge Cubs fan, have been since the 1984 season. Most people that live in Indy are usually either a Cubs or Reds fan. Some are Cards fans too. It is a midwest thing is my guess. The Cubs were really good in 1984 and always on TV here locally back then. As a 12 year old I just became a fan listening to Harry Caray and I liked Ryne Sandberg. I have had a lot misery over the years but 2016 made it worth while finally winning it all. I will always be grateful to guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, and Chapman. I waited 32 years as a fan for that championship :thmup:.

 

Others in here:

Jay is a Cards fan

Hozer is a Cubs fan

Barry is a Cards fan

Myles is a Cards fan

NFLfan is a Mets fan

Princeton is a Cubs fan

Punters are People is a Cubs fan

Hippie is a Reds fan

Buccolts is a Pirates fan

and of course NorthernBlue is a Nats fan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Who do most of you Colts fans follow? Since Indiana doesn't have a MLB team.

 

I follow the 76ers in the NBA and Rockies in the MLB.

 

Welcome! Do join us for some baseball talk. Any Rockies moves? Hot Stove Baseball news? 

 

As 2006CBE mentioned, most fans here are Cubs, Reds, and Cards fans. There are several Yankees fans but they rarely post comments here. We have also had fans of the White Sox, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves, and Indians. 

 

We look forward to having you join us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Has anyone been to Minute Maid, Marlins Park, Tropicana, Dodgers Stadium, Angels Stadium, Petco, Oracle Park, Oakland Coliseum, or Target Field? Any opinions 

 

Sorry, I have not been to any of them.

 

Which stadium would you recommend I see first, the one where the SF Giants play, where the Pirates play, or Camden Yards? I probably should go to Fenway next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Sorry, I have not been to any of them.

 

Which stadium would you recommend I see first, the one where the SF Giants play, where the Pirates play, or Camden Yards? I probably should go to Fenway next year.

I actually haven't been to any of those ones except Fenway which I found great with atmosphere and just how it felt walking around the ballpark and way they had it set up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, NFLfan said:

 

Welcome! Do join us for some baseball talk. Any Rockies moves? Hot Stove Baseball news? 

 

As 2006CBE mentioned, most fans here are Cubs, Reds, and Cards fans. There are several Yankees fans but they rarely post comments here. We have also had fans of the White Sox, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers, Braves, and Indians. 

 

We look forward to having you join us. 

 

Nothing so far... resigned Oberg and the ridiculous Arenado rumours floating around that would ruin me lol.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Breaking news:

 

Bumgarner to D-Backs for 5 years/89 Million. Rangers trade with Indians and get Kluber. Big blow to the Indians.

 

I'm all for both of these deals if it means the Dodgers don't get either of them!!

 

Rangers are making a lot of noise this off-season...they want that first season in the new ballpark to be something special.  They just play in such a tough division, it will be hard to finish first or second...but I credit them for trying.

Cardinals sign a South Korean pitcher and the Rays sign a Japanese OF/3B/1B.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fun I was studying the teams over the last 20 seasons (2000-2019 seasons). The players they had, managers they had, statistics, and wins and losses, etc..  Over the last 20 seasons if I was to treat the MLB like a college football playoff, my final 4 came out to be:

 

1. 2018 Boston Red Sox (108-54) - Porcello, Price, Sale, Kimbrel, Betts, Martinez, Bogaerts, Cora as manager.

 

2. 2016 Chicago Cubs (103-58) - Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Arrieta, Lester, Chapman, Maddon as manager.

 

3. 2009 NY Yankees (103-59) - Jeter, Tiexeira, Cano, ARod, Sabathia, Pettitte, Rivera, Girardi as manager.

 

4. 2012 SF Giants (94-68) - won 2 WS Titles in 3 years with Bumgarner at that point. This was their best team IMO. Buster Posey was a monster that season as well. Melky Cabrera was too. Bochy as manager.

-1st round would be 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in a 5 game series. The finals would be a 7 game series. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts on the trade? I think Jay Kirk was a fan of Martinez. 

 

Cardinals had a very crowded outfield, so this frees up a couple of spots.  Martinez has a good bat and is better suited for the AL.  He can DH in Tampa and platoon a bit at 1B and OF.

 

The lefty pitcher they got from Tampa is a top prospect, but a couple of years away from the majors.

 

I'm reading that this was a deal done to add a trade chip for St. Louis if they will pursue a deal to get Arenado from Colorado.  They would have to send some major league talent and prospects to Colorado, so this lefty wold maybe sweeten the pot a bit.

 

I don't really expect the Cardinals to get Arenado, but would love it if they did!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kris Bryant signs 1 year deal for 18.6 mill to avoid arbitration. He made 12.9 Mill last year, nice raise. No way the Cubs trade him despite all of these rumors. Theo was all over this quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kris Bryant signs 1 year deal for 18.6 mill to avoid arbitration. He made 12.9 Mill last year, nice raise. No way the Cubs trade him despite all of these rumors. Theo was all over this quickly.

As he should be. Kris Bryant is good

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

As he should be. Kris Bryant is good

Yeah I was beginning to think Theo was in winter  hibernation haha . Cubs haven't done jack all offseason. I was happy to see this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this crazy story.

 

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/in-bizarre-lawsuit-yankees-failed-prospect-says-derek-jeter-ruined-his-career.html

 

 

Quote

In a rambling, conspiracy-laced lawsuit, a failed prospect, who never played above High-A and had a career batting average of .244, sued the Yankees for $34 million and blamed Yankees legend Derek Jeter for derailing his career as a shortstop, presumably because the soon-to-be Hall of Famer was afraid of the competition.

It was a wild swing and a miss.

In the lawsuit, dismissed by a judge in May, Garrison Lassiter used letters, newspaper clippings and scouting reports to weave a strange tale of conspiracy that he said was launched against him “to protect the career of Derek Jeter.” He alleged that it was “blantanly (sic) obvious” that Jeter controlled the Yankees organization, and he insisted Yankees employees libeled and slandered him to other teams, preventing him from reaching the major leagues.

 

The reason? “To protect the career of Derek Jeter.”

Lassiter, who acted as his own attorney after putting himself through law school, said he is broke and has had to sleep in his car, having gone through the $675,000 signing bonus the Yankees gave him in 2008. According to the lawsuit, Lassiter, now 30, sued the Yankees because he wanted to get what he deserved “for the interference and lost years” of his pro career.

 

The story adds that he also sued the Reds and Ricky Proehl, the former NFL player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Check out this crazy story.

 

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/in-bizarre-lawsuit-yankees-failed-prospect-says-derek-jeter-ruined-his-career.html

 

 

 

The story adds that he also sued the Reds and Ricky Proehl, the former NFL player. 

Haha I saw that, he is insane. Basically it be like me suing my MS for cutting me from baseball, I wasn't good enough. Idk how he became a lawyer and who will higher him after this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

AJ Hinch and the Astros GM have been suspended for a year over the sign stealing debacle 

 

Astros owner has also fired both since the news came out about the suspension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After what just happened with the Astros getting caught cheating, I will label the 2017 season as no team winning the WS. The league investigated the Astros, they were 100% guilty, both GM and Manager just got fired, and stealing signs is the worse thing a team can do. They knew what was coming pitch wise almost every time. The Dodgers have to be upset about this after losing that WS 4-3.

 

The last 5 WS Champions list should look like this

2015 - Royals

2016 - Cubs

2017 - Vacant, no Champion

2018 - Red Sox

2019 - Nationals

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • To me being a boom or bust is kind of a plus for a QB, because the worst you can be is mediocre once that rookie contract comes to an end. I would prefer for whoever we draft to be either great or horrible and for us to know relatively quickly so we can either invest in him or move on quickly. This is part of the appeal with Love for me. The things he needs to improve are heavily coaching based and I think we will have a good idea of where on the spectrum he will end up pretty quickly. For example - if you draft him and he's not ready to start by year 2, this is a red flag and you might start looking for another one. If 2 off-seasons and 1 in-season period are not enough for your coaching staff to get him ready you either have made a mistake with the draft pick or with your coaching staff and I do have good trust in the coaching staff so... 
    • For me the tiers are more important the the specific ranking... I rank players within a tier very similarly and even though I would have preferences within them, I don't feel strongly enough to argue one over the other.    Tier 1(sell the farm for him - i.e. multiple 1sts, multiple day 2 picks, etc) Burrow   Tier 2 (trade a significant asset for him - i.e. a future 1st round pick) Tua(if I have medical guarantees he'd be alright health-wise)   Tier 3 (trade a medium level asset for him(i.e. a second, a third...) or take him at #13) Love Herbert Tua(if our medical staff cannot give you any guarantees whatsoever either way -for example, there were some reports that it might be too early before the draft to tell whether he will be good or not)   Tier 4 (second round) Eason Fromm     Tier 5 (third-fourth round) Gordon(have to do more work on him, might change his ranking) Hurts   Tier 6 (round 5-7) Tua(if the medicals come bad and there is high risk of reinjury/retirement/not full recovery/etc.) Tyler Huntley Nate Stanley     I'm still watching some QBs so that's not my final ranking. 
    • Hey....    we’ve all had those whoops moments.    Comes with the territory.    I’ve had some whoppers!     
    • Also, you need a smart GM and HC once you get the #1 pick and surround your price possession with an excellent supporting cast.  Otherwise, early retirement...
  • Members

    • stitches

      stitches 6,920

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ScotColt

      ScotColt 45

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt Overseas

      Colt Overseas 552

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • UKColt13

      UKColt13 1,410

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...