Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

This is all I needed to read to confirm that Maddon was no longer putting his best effort into coaching his team......

"I didn't know how the end of the season with the Cubs was going to work out," Maddon said. "Everyone thinks they knew, but they didn't, and I didn't either. When it got down to the last couple days it was really obvious to both sides.

"I didn't want to be back, either. It was more of a bilateral than a unilateral decision."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20191031/sports/191039804/

If that’s really how he felt, then......

giphy.gif

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2019 season is complete. Congrats to the Washington Nationals for winning it all!

Just because the season is over, it does not mean we will stop talking baseball. Hot Stove Baseball will be here soon. 

Should we continue with this thread or start a new one? What does everyone think?

@HOZER @2006Coltsbestever @Barry Sears @Myles @Jay Kirk @NorthernBlue

If we start a new one, I'd like to name it:

The Jay Kirk Baseball Thread 2020: Nationals Repeat?

We can add a link to this thread at the beginning of the new thread in case anyone wants to easily access this one. 

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The 2019 season is complete. Congrats to the Washington Nationals for winning it all!

Just because the season is over, it does not mean we will stop talking baseball. Hot Stove Baseball will be here soon. 

Should we continue with this thread or start a new one? What does everyone think?

@HOZER @2006Coltsbestever @Barry Sears @Myles @Jay Kirk @NorthernBlue

If we start a new one, I'd like to name it:

The Jay Kirk Baseball Thread 2020: Nationals Repeat?

We can add a link to this thread at the beginning of the new thread in case anyone wants to easily access this one. 

We can just have @RockThatBlue change the title to what you suggest, I like your title but I am good with whatever. 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, HOZER said:

This is all I needed to read to confirm that Maddon was no longer putting his best effort into coaching his team......

"I didn't know how the end of the season with the Cubs was going to work out," Maddon said. "Everyone thinks they knew, but they didn't, and I didn't either. When it got down to the last couple days it was really obvious to both sides.

"I didn't want to be back, either. It was more of a bilateral than a unilateral decision."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20191031/sports/191039804/

If that’s really how he felt, then......

giphy.gif

Maddon wasn't all in 100% last season and you could tell. He was wearing on the players too as they looked content IMO. A new face was needed and Ross is well liked. 2020 should be very interesting.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can just have @RockThatBlue change the title to what you suggest, I like your title but I am good with whatever. 

8 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Great name suggestion @NFLfan! I think I’d like to keep this one going too, for sentimental reasons I guess? 

Okay. 

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

or

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: 2020, Nationals Repeat?

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. 

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

I’m fine with starting new one too, Good with whatever the majority rules.

Looks like me and CBE are the majority at the moment, lol

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I’m fine with starting new one too, Good with whatever the majority rules.

Looks like me and CBE are the majority at the moment, lol

That is a suggested new name for this one. So we would keep this thread and change the title as we have done every year.

Thanks all and I'm good with the name change for the thread.  I don't get on here on the weekends, since I'm basically on my phone and not a computer.  My weekends are generally busy anyway.

Already some Hot Stove activity...some interesting options being exercised and declined.  Strasburg could be in a different uniform next season...interesting!

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should the Cubs go all in on Gerritt Cole? The Cubs need an ace pitcher IMO to get back to being a WS contender. Lester and Hamels still have their moments but have age on them and are not aces. Yu isn't an ace either but has improved.

Let's see who will be available. Why did you mention Cole? Are there reports that the Cubs are interested?

I see the Mets extended a one-year qualifying offer to Zach Wheeler. He won't accept it. If he does in fact decline it, the Mets can get an extra draft pick.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should the Cubs go all in on Gerritt Cole? The Cubs need an ace pitcher IMO to get back to being a WS contender. Lester and Hamels still have their moments but have age on them and are not aces. Yu isn't an ace either but has improved.

I say go for it, depending on what they want to offer? Hammels may not be back, hard to say, he really ended the season in a bad note, as did Lester. 

So far the Cubs have...

Signed Ross as new Manager

Picked up option on Rizzo and Quintana(congrats to Rizzo on another gold glove)

Darvish and Heyward have decided not to opt out

Declined Holland, Morrow, Graveman, Barnette, Phelps.

Few free agents haven’t been signed, including Pedro Strop(bye felecia)

Theo is busy trying to get this team back in the right direction, hope he can work something out with Castellanos!!!

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Let's see who will be available. Why did you mention Cole? Are there reports that the Cubs are interested?

I see the Mets extended a one-year qualifying offer to Zach Wheeler. He won't accept it. If he does in fact decline it, the Mets can get an extra draft pick.

Cole opted out. I mentioned him because he is an ace and that was the Cubs need badly.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:58 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

I go to Evansville at least once a week

My Dad went to University of Evansville(East Side) and I went to Univserity of Southern Indiana(West Side)

@BrentMc11 almost went to UE

Brent, now there's a poster I haven't heard from in quite some time. Darn nice guy too. Hope he's doing alright. Radio Girl his wife has been absent for a long duration as well. Nice people.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:55 AM, NFLfan said:

Nice. 

Btw, I am concerned about the friend of yours in Wisconsin who has not been on the forum for over two months. @HOZER and I have been concerned about him. If you know anything, PM one of us. Thanks, Jay.

I think this post was about me. If it was, thank you for your concern & wellbeing. If not, I apologize for overstepping my bounds & being mistaken. Appreciate it. :hat:

On 12/23/2018 at 7:09 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I tried to ride a Harley I would probably break my neck, I have never rode before :lol:. I would be taking pics of myself in a body cast :banana:

I had a good chuckle over your reply CBE. Never personal injury of a friend of course. :thmup:

On 4/11/2019 at 11:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For craps and giggles Shawshank Redemption got 4.5 stars keanu reeves thumbs up GIF

Morgan Freeman should have won an Oscar for playing Red. Such a miscarriage of Academy justice. Tremendous flick indeed. Kudos my man! Kevin Costner in "For The Love Of The Game' is a wonderful picture. @Jaykirk: Uh huh, Clint Eastwood in "Trouble With The Curve' was very good. Amy Adams is easy on the eyes too. Another story for another day. LOL! 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:13 PM, NFLfan said:

My favorite movie!

stephen king best movie ever GIF

Yup, every time I see Red read that letter next to the rock wall with Andy's voice over dub "I'll keep an eye out for & the chess board ready...Hope is a good thing Red & no good thing ever dies" I almost cry on cue like a classic conditioning bell going off. 

On 6/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, HOZER said:

That was one of the best seventh inning stretches ever!!! Cookie Monster slayed it!!!!!

HJmso5ZzYJspa9Ieb1Iymodfq6Pn_I9YCvJrNnB9

Speaking of 'Sesame Street,' an upcoming film review will feature a breakdown of 'Mr. Rogers Neighborhood' soon. No, not the upcoming Tom Hanks movie, but the documentary on Fred. A tough critique to write for me since Mr. Rogers played a vital part in my upbringing as a child. Just giving a heads up that's all. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I think this post was about me. If it was, thank you for your concern & wellbeing. If not, I apologize for overstepping my bounds & being mistaken. Appreciate it. :hat:

Of course it is you. :thmup:  All of us here were asking for you.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yup, every time I see Red read that letter next to the rock wall with Andy's voice over dub "I'll keep an eye out for & the chess board ready...Hope is a good thing Red & no good thing ever dies" I almost cry on cue like a classic conditioning bell going off. 

Me too. I love that movie. 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Brent, now there's a poster I haven't heard from in quite some time. Darn nice guy too. Hope he's doing alright. Radio Girl his wife has been absent for a long duration as well. Nice people.

I had a good chuckle over your reply CBE. Never personal injury of a friend of course. :thmup:

Morgan Freeman should have won an Oscar for playing Red. Such a miscarriage of Academy justice. Tremendous flick indeed. Kudos my man! Kevin Costner in "For The Love Of The Game' is a wonderful picture. @Jaykirk: Uh huh, Clint Eastwood in "Trouble With The Curve' was very good. Amy Adams is easy on the eyes too. Another story for another day. LOL! 

Speaking of 'Sesame Street,' an upcoming film review will feature a breakdown of 'Mr. Rogers Neighborhood' soon. No, not the upcoming Tom Hanks movie, but the documentary on Fred. A tough critique to write for me since Mr. Rogers played a vital part in my upbringing as a child. Just giving a heads up that's all. 

@southwest1, never a dull moment in here on this thread. We talk about everything.  The Original Series Spock GIF by Star Trek if Kirk Cousins doesn't beat the Cowboys ,happy star trek GIF - don't worry after all I am Captain Kirk.

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Me too. I love that movie. 

If I remember correctly, 'A Bronx Tale' is another favorite film of yours as well. A nice coming of age flick about honor, responsibility, love, & making your parents proud by maximizing your potential for the greater good in this world.

I like the relationship dynamic in that film as well. Amid political & racial turmoil, a guy & a girl from 2 different worlds defy conventional wisdom in order to be together & see where their union goes in an environment looking for a multitude of reasons or social norms of the day to tear them apart at every turn. In many respects, a thought provoking; watershed flick that is relevant now more than ever. 

You are a fine, motion picture critic in your own right @NFLfan. 

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@southwest1, never a dull moment in here on this thread. We talk about everything.  The Original Series Spock GIF by Star Trek if Kirk Cousins doesn't beat the Cowboys ,happy star trek GIF - don't worry after all I am Captain Kirk.

I really do appreciate your humor. You're quite funny @2006Coltsbestever. It just irritates me that the Cowboys gets so much praise from NFL booth pundits on TV. Can Dallas at least play in an NFC Championship Game in this century first? LOL! 

Yes, you guys do cover all the bases in this thread don't you? lmao

31 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If I remember correctly, 'A Bronx Tale' is another favorite film of yours as well. A nice coming of age flick about honor, responsibility, love, & making your parents proud by maximizing your potential for the greater good in this world.

I like the relationship dynamic in that film as well. Amid political & racial turmoil, a guy & a girl from 2 different worlds defy conventional wisdom in order to be together & see where their union goes in an environment looking for a multitude of reasons or social norms of the day to tear them apart at every turn. In many respects, a thought provoking; watershed flick that is relevant now more than ever. 

You are a fine, motion picture critic in your own right @NFLfan. 

I do like that movie, but I did not see it until about a year and a half ago. You may be thinking of The Ruston Rifle. A Bronx Tale was his favorite movie. 

My favorites (all old films):

The Shawshank Redemption 

Sling Blade

LA Confidential

Good Will Hunting

A Few Good Men

As Good As It Gets

Karate Kid

Ordinary People

Ghost

I should add Bronx Tale and Gran Torino to that.

(And so many more)

On 11/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, NFLfan said:

I do like that movie, but I did not see it until about a year and a half ago. You may be thinking of The Ruston Rifle. A Bronx Tale was his favorite movie. 

My favorites (all old films):

The Shawshank Redemption 

Sling Blade

LA Confidential

Good Will Hunting

A Few Good Men

As Good As It Gets

Karate Kid

Ordinary People

Ghost

I should add Bronx Tale and Gran Torino to that.

(And so many more)

Huge fan of Bronx Tale, one of Robert  Deniros best and under appreciated roles in my opinion! It’s a shame the actor who played his son got into legal trouble, he could have been something special. Pretty sure he did some time for murder during a robbery or something. Sad. One of my favorite scenes....

And this one....

@NFLfan that’s a great list, a lot of those are my favorites too, minus Ghost, too mushy for me, lol! I am  a Patrick Swayze fan though.....Roadhouse, Point Break, Outsiders, Red Dawn, all classics!  Sorry, I know,  this belongs in the @southwest1movie thread, lol!

When it comes to movies, it is impossible for me to choose a favorite. I like so many movies that are different, like:

The Dirty Harry's - all of them were great. I think Sudden Impact was the best one.

The Rocky's - the 1st 3 were great, Rocky 3 was my favorite. Rocky 4 was even good.

The Shining with Jack was awesome and scary.

I loved Donnie Brasco with Pacino and Depp, that was great.

Good Fellas was great as well with De niro, Pesci, and Liotta. 

Caddy Shack is a classic comedy with Rodney, Chevy Chase, and Bill Murray.

The 1st Porky's is a classic comedy.

Movies already mentioned in here like Shawshank Redemption, Bronx Tale, Sling Blade, Few Good Men, and Gran Torino are just top notch.

Baseball movies that were great are The Natural and For the Love of the Game.

There’s a lot of talk going around about the Cubs possibly putting Contreras up for trade. That would be an absolutely foolish mistake in my opinion, yes he will probably draw some good players, but who do you replace him with? They don’t have any other catchers on the team anywhere near his level, catching or batting. Idk hope it’s just hot stove rumors.

47 minutes ago, HOZER said:

There’s a lot of talk going around about the Cubs possibly putting Contreras up for trade. That would be an absolutely foolish mistake in my opinion, yes he will probably draw some good players, but who do you replace him with? They don’t have any other catchers on the team anywhere near his level, catching or batting. Idk hope it’s just hot stove rumors.

Have you heard why the Cubs would want to part with Contreras? Dont you have another highly regarded catcher on the team?

7 hours ago, HOZER said:

Yeah I hope not, he is a really good Catcher. That would be foolish.

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Have you heard why the Cubs would want to part with Contreras? Dont you have another highly regarded catcher on the team?

We have Caratini, he has a good bat, but his catching is nowhere near Contreras level. We also have the veteran Lucroy, but I think he was just brought in while Contreras was hurt, not sure if he’ll stick, he’s bounced around quite a bit, he’s not bad, but again not as good as Contreras.  I believe we do have a prospect, Amaya I think, that’s supposed to be pretty good, maybe they’re planning on calling him up? 

Jacob deGrom won his 2nd Cy Young Award in as many years. Congrats to Jacob. 

The Cardinals skipper won NL Manager of the Year. Congrats!

Pete Alonso won Rookie of the Year. What a year it was for Pete! He hit 56 HRs, I believe. He also won Home Run Derby as a rookie. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Jacob deGrom won his 2nd Cy Young Award in as many years. Congrats to Jacob. 

The Cardinals skipper won NL Manager of the Year. Congrats!

Pete Alonso won Rookie of the Year. What a year it was for Pete! He hit 56 HRs, I believe. He also won Home Run Derby as a rookie. 

Who won the Kris Bryant award haha , just joking, get it MVP award lmao 

Anybody else hear about the controversy involving the Astro’s and using video and sounds from the dugout to tip pitches?! If proven true wow that would would be a real bad look for them!!! Wonder how far back they’ll look, and what the punishment could be? Nuts.

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

Anybody else hear about the controversy involving the Astro’s and using video and sounds from the dugout to tip pitches?! If proven true wow that would would be a real bad look for them!!! Wonder how far back they’ll look, and what the punishment could be? Nuts.

Should their 2017 Title be taken away? They are being accused of cheating in 2017 vs the Dodgers of stealing signs via camera.

Archived