Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

 

 

Besides being a beloved former Cub, why are Cubs fans so high on Ross? Serious question. 


A lot of fans are high on him for nostalgic reasons, but he’s shown to have leadership skills in the dugout. He was everybody’s friend, but was not afraid to get in guys faces and be blunt when things were going wrong. Does he have what it takes to be a manager? Only time will tell I guess, although there are some successful managers in the MLB that have little experience. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Bryce how is it going man lmao washington nationals hair flip GIF by MLB, you took your pretty hair to Philly and took 330 mill and did nothing this year. Your former team is on the verge of winning the WS. You can't make this stuff up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a Cubs fan, but former catchers "generally" make good managers since they are the on field managers, of sorts.

 

I see Gerardi is being hired by Philly.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, HOZER said:


A lot of fans are high on him for nostalgic reasons, but he’s shown to have leadership skills in the dugout. He was everybody’s friend, but was not afraid to get in guys faces and be blunt when things were going wrong. Does he have what it takes to be a manager? Only time will tell I guess, although there are some successful managers in the MLB that have little experience. 

As Hozer said @NFLfan he has shown leadership qualities. Also, he was considered a future manager while playing for the 15 years including by Epstein while in Boston in 2008. He also had the likes of Cox and Maddon to play under. As Hozer also said, he may be friendly with the guys, but he also has no problem getting on them for messing up. Rizzo first ST with Ross he screwed up and Ross got in his face about it. He is one they want to play for, but also one who can hold them accountable. If you want to read a little bit more too, I'd look at this article https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/10/23/cubs-are-prepared-to-assume-the-risks-that-come-with-hiring-david-ross-and-i-dig-it/. While it is from a Cubs blogger he has always been fine calling out mistakes of org. 

 

 

On the same note, I kinda want a Ross jersey and he'd be the only manager I'd ever get due to his standing with the team as a player and the fact he'll go down in Cubs history as a member of 2016

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As Hozer said @NFLfan he has shown leadership qualities. Also, he was considered a future manager while playing for the 15 years including by Epstein while in Boston in 2008. He also had the likes of Cox and Maddon to play under. As Hozer also said, he may be friendly with the guys, but he also has no problem getting on them for messing up. Rizzo first ST with Ross he screwed up and Ross got in his face about it. He is one they want to play for, but also one who can hold them accountable. If you want to read a little bit more too, I'd look at this article https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/10/23/cubs-are-prepared-to-assume-the-risks-that-come-with-hiring-david-ross-and-i-dig-it/. While it is from a Cubs blogger he has always been fine calling out mistakes of org. 

 

 

On the same note, I kinda want a Ross jersey and he'd be the only manager I'd ever get due to his standing with the team as a player and the fact he'll go down in Cubs history as a member of 2016

Fans that are not Chicago Cubs fans do not realize how big the 2016 season was. They ended a 108 year drought of not winning a WS. That meant no more being called losers. That Cubs team wasn't some champion that was a wildcard team either, like a 90 win team. That team was one of the best teams of all-time, they went 103-58 and won the WS. Over the last 40 seasons = 80's, 90's, 2000's, and now 2010's only the 1984 Tigers, 1986 Mets, 1998 Yankees, and 2018 Red Sox have had a better record than the 2016 Cubs winning the WS. That is 4 decades, huge sample size. Ross was an important part to that team. The 2016 Cubs wasn't some team that went 90-72 and won by just getting hot or on a fluke. They were the best team all season that year. They beat the 3-time champion Giants in the Divisional Round, beat the mighty Dodgers in the NLCS, and then beat an Indians team that was red hot in the WS after being down 3-1. 

 

5 best teams since the 1980 season record wise win winning the WS:

1. 1998 Yankees 114-48

2. 1986 Mets 108-54

2. 2018 Red Sox 108-54 (tie with the Mets)

4. 1984 Tigers 104-58

5. 2016 Cubs 103-58 (only played 161 games)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As Hozer said @NFLfan he has shown leadership qualities. Also, he was considered a future manager while playing for the 15 years including by Epstein while in Boston in 2008. He also had the likes of Cox and Maddon to play under. As Hozer also said, he may be friendly with the guys, but he also has no problem getting on them for messing up. Rizzo first ST with Ross he screwed up and Ross got in his face about it. He is one they want to play for, but also one who can hold them accountable. If you want to read a little bit more too, I'd look at this article https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/10/23/cubs-are-prepared-to-assume-the-risks-that-come-with-hiring-david-ross-and-i-dig-it/. While it is from a Cubs blogger he has always been fine calling out mistakes of org. 

 

 

On the same note, I kinda want a Ross jersey and he'd be the only manager I'd ever get due to his standing with the team as a player and the fact he'll go down in Cubs history as a member of 2016

Welcome back friend!

 

 

The Ross signing has got me stoked again for the upcoming season, wonder how many more changes are coming now that this is out of the way? The Bryant situation is interesting, lots of speculation going on right now..... 

 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-bryant-s-lingering-rift-with-cubs-could-trigger-trade/article_e0478999-edcc-5bae-81fc-da48886804e9.html

 

 

C’mon Spring training!!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Welcome back friend!

 

 

The Ross signing has got me stoked again for the upcoming season, wonder how many more changes are coming now that this is out of the way? The Bryant situation is interesting, lots of speculation going on right now..... 

 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-bryant-s-lingering-rift-with-cubs-could-trigger-trade/article_e0478999-edcc-5bae-81fc-da48886804e9.html

 

 

C’mon Spring training!!!!!

If we trade MVP that would be a huge mistake. He is a great young player. If he was in his 30's I could see it. He still has a lot of great days ahead of him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HOZER said:

Welcome back friend!

 

 

The Ross signing has got me stoked again for the upcoming season, wonder how many more changes are coming now that this is out of the way? The Bryant situation is interesting, lots of speculation going on right now..... 

 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-bryant-s-lingering-rift-with-cubs-could-trigger-trade/article_e0478999-edcc-5bae-81fc-da48886804e9.html

 

 

C’mon Spring training!!!!!

Thanks, I will normally be in and out with school and all the other stuff I am doing down here and I always have a worry about jinx. 

 

It should be interesting, I do know that one of the things with his trade being potential is due to him perhaps ending up a free agent next year. I still do not seem them doing this as the value he provides is to great compared to what a return could be

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All tied up now, things are about to get real interesting! I see Soto has tampered down his dumb  shuffle, glad he’s focusing more on the game then that ridiculousness. The Nationals better play with the fire they did the first two games or they’re toast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ross officially announced and holds first press conference as Cubs Manager, he said it felt great to put a Cubs hat back on! The word, “accountability” was thrown around quite a bit during the conference, which is what really seemed to be lacking last couple of years. Hope they can get back to 2016 level Cubs once again!

 

Astros seem to have all the momentum right now, going to be hard for the Nationals to win the next 2.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mets have yet to hire a manager. I read that they are currently in the 3rd round of interviews. A Mets fan wrote, 

"Someone wake me up when they get to the 5th round." Lol. My thought exactly. 

 

They are interviewing former Mets Carlos Beltran and Tim Bogar as well as Eduardo Perez and a coach from the Twins (Derek Shelton). There may be others. I hope it isn't Beltran. I don't like star players as managers or head coaches. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Mets have yet to hire a manager. I read that they are currently in the 3rd round of interviews. A Mets fan wrote, 

"Someone wake me up when they get to the 5th round." Lol. My thought exactly. 

 

They are interviewing former Mets Carlos Beltran and Tim Bogar as well as Eduardo Perez and a coach from the Twins. I hope it isn't Beltran. I don't like star players as managers or head coaches. 

Who do you want as manager of the Mets?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who do you want as manager of the Mets?

 

I have no idea. I really don't know who is out there. I don't like any of those mentioned, although I don't know guy from the Twins. 

 

If I were to get a former Mets, I would want someone like Joe McEwing. He was a bench coach somewhere. How about an assistant on the Astros? Know anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

I have no idea. I really don't know who is out there. I don't like any of those mentioned, although I don't know guy from the Twins. 

 

If I were to get a former Mets, I would want someone like Joe McEwing. He was a bench coach somewhere. How about an assistant on the Astros? Know anyone?

How about him - homer blank stare GIF, all kidding aside I have no idea who they should hire either. I thought maybe you would have some good idea's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about him - homer blank stare GIF, all kidding aside I have no idea who they should hire either. I thought maybe you would have some good idea's.

 

Nah, no one.

 

Speaking of Joe McEwing, he is a coach on the White Sox. @Luck is Good What are your thoughts on Super Joe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

I have no idea. I really don't know who is out there. I don't like any of those mentioned, although I don't know guy from the Twins. 

 

If I were to get a former Mets, I would want someone like Joe McEwing. He was a bench coach somewhere. How about an assistant on the Astros? Know anyone?


I heard Astro’s assistant Joe Espadas name quite a bit before Ross was selected. Here’s an article about him....

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/peek-behind-curtain-what-makes-joe-espada-such-intriguing-managerial-candidate-cubs-hinch-astros-david-ross-epstein%3famp

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your guys thoughts from the interference call yesterday in Game 6. It is a judgement call and the ump shouldnt have called it as Trea was safe when the ball hit him. If the MLB wants that to happen, they should put an orange bag in Foul territory like kids leagues and softball has. Otherwise that one should not have been called. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

What are your guys thoughts from the interference call yesterday in Game 6. It is a judgement call and the ump shouldnt have called it as Trea was safe when the ball hit him. If the MLB wants that to happen, they should put an orange bag in Foul territory like kids leagues and softball has. Otherwise that one should not have been called. 

I thought Turner should have been ruled safe. It was a terrible call. Hey at least the Nats still won. We have a Game 7 folks, best thing in sports to have. 

 

The home team hasn't won a game yet, don't even ask me to predict this game lmao . I have no clue who wins this. I do think Houston has the better team but the better team doesn't always win in Baseball.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought Turner should have been ruled safe. It was a terrible call. Hey at least the Nats still won. We have a Game 7 folks, best thing in sports to have. 

 

The home team hasn't won a game yet, don't even ask me to predict this game lmao . I have no clue who wins this. I do think Houston has the better team but the better team doesn't always win in Baseball.

Ya he really should've been just as no way would they have got him. MLB needs to take a good hard look at the rule this offseason. Funny thing one of the teacher's at my school is cousins with Trea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nationals are World Series champions! I'm happy for Ryan Zimmerman. I wonder what Bryce Harper is thinking.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Nationals are World Series champions! I'm happy for Ryan Zimmerman. I wonder what Bryce Harper is thinking.

Unbelievable! Congrats to the Nats, couldn't of happen to a better group of guys. Glad it wasn't the Brewers that finally won it all haha 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decade is now complete, here are the WS Champions from 2010-2019:

 

2010 - Giants (1)

2011 - Cardinals (1)

2012 - Giants (2)

2013 - Red Sox (1)

2014 - Giants (3)

2015 - Royals (1)

2016 - Cubs (1)

2017 - Astros (1)

2018 - Red Sox (2)

2019 - Nationals (1)

 

-The team of the decade is technically the Giants. They won 3 World Series this decade. The 2 best teams record wise in a single season to win it all are the 2018 Red Sox 108-54 and the 2016 Cubs 103-58.

 

-The Yankees nor the Dodgers won a WS this decade for a shocking fact. What will 2020 bring?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unbelievable! Congrats to the Nats, couldn't of happen to a better group of guys. Glad it wasn't the Brewers that finally won it all haha 

 

Yeah, I'm happy for them and for @NorthernBlue. Sean Doolittle is a player I like a lot; I'm happy for him even though he lost his closer's job. 

 

Btw, Strasburg won MVP. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NFLfan said:

 

Yeah, I'm happy for them and for @NorthernBlue. Sean Doolittle is a player I like a lot; I'm happy for him even though he lost his closer's job. 

 

Btw, Strasburg won MVP. 

I think it is great they won it all. They were huge underdogs. I am also happy for @NorthernBlue. I think it also is great they won it all without Bryce Harper.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it also is great they won it all without Bryce Harper.

 

It's great. And Nats players like Sherzer, Zimmerman, and Strasburg get rewarded for staying.

 

I want the Mets to win soon. The Vikes too. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what’s so weird? Even down 2 in the 7th I wasn’t that nervous. I knew they still had the late comeback in them. It’s just what they do. When Rendon made it 2-1 i felt a killing blow would come quickly after. Kendrick delivered.

 

 

Then like seemingly every other game this series, the nats turned a tense and close game into a blowout. 

 

Caps and Nats in an 18 month span? That’s insane. I actually can’t believe that’s real

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

You know what’s so weird? Even down 2 in the 7th I wasn’t that nervous. I knew they still had the late comeback in them. It’s just what they do. When Rendon made it 2-1 i felt a killing blow would come quickly after. Kendrick delivered.

 

 

Then like seemingly every other game this series, the nats turned a tense and close game into a blowout. 

 

Caps and Nats in an 18 month span? That’s insane. I actually can’t believe that’s real

You as a fan of a baseball team join the Champions club this decade. I had mine in 2016 with the Cubs. Grab you a Cigar and a Scotch and celebrate Like A Boss Reaction GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

What are your guys thoughts from the interference call yesterday in Game 6. It is a judgement call and the ump shouldnt have called it as Trea was safe when the ball hit him. If the MLB wants that to happen, they should put an orange bag in Foul territory like kids leagues and softball has. Otherwise that one should not have been called. 

100% agree. Not only that they weren’t even supposed to review it, unreviewable according to the rules. That just made it worse and made Martinez flip out and consequently get ejected later!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The Nationals are World Series champions! I'm happy for Ryan Zimmerman. I wonder what Bryce Harper is thinking.

Just as I predicted!:rock:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:peek:

 

 

 

 

 

LOL, congrats @NorthernBlue and all other Nats fans. Still don’t like Soto, he’s a stud, but don’t like him. 
 

WHY on earth did the Astros Pull Greinke so then and then not even put in Cole? he was warming up, did I miss something?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

You know what’s so weird? Even down 2 in the 7th I wasn’t that nervous. I knew they still had the late comeback in them. It’s just what they do. When Rendon made it 2-1 i felt a killing blow would come quickly after. Kendrick delivered.

 

 

Then like seemingly every other game this series, the nats turned a tense and close game into a blowout. 

 

Caps and Nats in an 18 month span? That’s insane. I actually can’t believe that’s real

 

That is the first thing I thought. In before Trump takes credit for Washington teams winning major titles... :) 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

100% agree. Not only that they weren’t even supposed to review it, unreviewable according to the rules. That just made it worse and made Martinez flip out and consequently get ejected later!

 

So from what was said on the broadcast later on, it wasnt for the review but was based on the Nationals protesting the game and that is how you notify the league of it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 2:55 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You as a fan of a baseball team join the Champions club this decade. I had mine in 2016 with the Cubs. Grab you a Cigar and a Scotch and celebrate Like A Boss Reaction GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Hey Brother interesting finish hats off to the Nats , they came into the post season hot . Many times that's the most important in the scheme of things. I have thought about this and I would really like you to take over the thread . I don't have the time I once did to devote to it . I love all of you guys and gals . You have all been great and I consider you all my friends. I will still get involved when I can . You all know my situation at home so I want someone who I feel will do it justice. Lol love the Clint nod.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Hey Brother interesting finish hats off to the Nats , they came into the post season hot . Many times that's the most important in the scheme of things. I have thought about this and I would really like you to take over the thread . I don't have the time I once did to devote to it . I love all of you guys and gals . You have all been great and I consider you all my friends. I will still get involved when I can . You all know my situation at home so I want someone who I feel will do it justice. Lol love the Clint nod.

@Jay Kirk, you are the best ever man in here, you are my brother. I will still post here and carry the thread but you are the man that started it all. People like @HOZER and @NFLfan will carry it as well. It was cool the Nats won wasn't it. Cards are a fantastic organization and had a very good season in 2019.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...