Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe, but not to the extent.   Flaherty was a second year pitcher.

He allowed just 11 total runs in his final 15 starts, posting a microscopic 0.91 ERA, the third-best post-break ERA in MLB history.

He pitched in 100 different innings after the All-Star break, 91 of which were scoreless.

In nine of his final 15 starts Flaherty did not permit a run. The only other pitchers to do that over the entire season were Hyun-jin Ryu with 10 starts and Zack Greinke with nine. Flaherty did that all after the All-Star break.

Yes and they are comparing him to his tutors Bob Gibson and Chris Carpenter . Lol pretty good company I might add.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Regardless of what happens I'm  happy with the season , any more will be a bonus.

That is a great attitude to have. If any fan of a team would think Championship or bust it would be a Cards fan who have won 11, the Yankees the other with 27. After the Cubs won it in 2016 I started thinking greedy and wanted 2 in a row but it is not that easy. Look at the Dodgers this decade, most wins of any team but 0 Championships.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a great attitude to have. If any fan of a team would think Championship or bust it would be a Cards fan who have won 11, the Yankees the other with 27. After the Cubs won it in 2016 I started thinking greedy and wanted 2 in a row but it is not that easy. Look at the Dodgers this decade, most wins of any team but 0 Championships.

It's not easy to do and you need to savor it. 

I don't think Cardinal fans have thought "championship or bust" for many, many years.  I think that is a mentality that champions on paper do.  The Dodgers wouldn't have thought this was a successful season without a championship.  Same with the Yankees and maybe even the Cubs a bit.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It's not easy to do and you need to savor it. 

I don't think Cardinal fans have thought "championship or bust" for many, many years.  I think that is a mentality that champions on paper do.  The Dodgers wouldn't have thought this was a successful season without a championship.  Same with the Yankees and maybe even the Cubs a bit.  

I think on paper going in the Cards were slightly better than Cubs. It ended proving out that way on the field. Cubs still underachieved though because they should have been a playoff team.

Hey all, I was on vacation last week and I'm back now and getting caught up.

Well, my Cardinals surprised me a bit with that 10 run outburst against the Braves and I was also excited to see the Nats eliminate the Dodgers!  I hope I never hear "Future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw" again.  I honestly don't think he's HOF material.  Great regular season pitcher, but he has choked repeatedly in the post season over the years.

So, I was afraid of the Nats starting pitching, but didn't include Sanchez in that, was thinking the big three they have, but I guess it's the big 4 now.

I don't see the Cardinals winning this series...maybe a game, or two at best.  Pitching usually dominates in the post season, and this is no surprise to me.

Houston-NY series is going 6 or 7 games, it appears.

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Hey all, I was on vacation last week and I'm back now and getting caught up.

Well, my Cardinals surprised me a bit with that 10 run outburst against the Braves and I was also excited to see the Nats eliminate the Dodgers!  I hope I never hear "Future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw" again.  I honestly don't think he's HOF material.  Great regular season pitcher, but he has choked repeatedly in the post season over the years.

So, I was afraid of the Nats starting pitching, but didn't include Sanchez in that, was thinking the big three they have, but I guess it's the big 4 now.

I don't see the Cardinals winning this series...maybe a game, or two at best.  Pitching usually dominates in the post season, and this is no surprise to me.

Houston-NY series is going 6 or 7 games, it appears.

Being down 2-0 in any series is tough. I did not expect the Cards to be down 2-0. They can still comeback but need to get the series at 2-2 to have a good chance. Teams that go up 2-0 in all NLCS's win 85% of the time. Astros came up huge last night with a 3-2 win over the Yankees to even that up 1-1. That series is a 50/50 toss up IMO. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't believe the Nats are up 3-0. Maybe it is just a bad match up for the Cards. Still a heck of a year making it to the NLCS. 

I can believe it and I'm not surprised, even as a Cardinals fan.  I knew going in that the Nats pitching was going to be very good to dominant.  The Sanchez start surprised me as far as how dominant he was...felt it was our best chance for a win.  I'm just hoping we can catch Corbin on a down night, or at least get him early and have a lead in a game for the first time.  Playing with a lead changes things quite a bit.

If we get swept, I'm still happy with the season and think we got further than expected.

I wonder how the Braves would have performed in this series assuming the Nats pitching was at the same level?  I think the Braves are more balanced offensively.

Whoever plays the Nats in the WS will have their hands full, for sure.

I can believe it and I'm not surprised, even as a Cardinals fan.  I knew going in that the Nats pitching was going to be very good to dominant.  The Sanchez start surprised me as far as how dominant he was...felt it was our best chance for a win.  I'm just hoping we can catch Corbin on a down night, or at least get him early and have a lead in a game for the first time.  Playing with a lead changes things quite a bit.

If we get swept, I'm still happy with the season and think we got further than expected.

I wonder how the Braves would have performed in this series assuming the Nats pitching was at the same level?  I think the Braves are more balanced offensively.

Whoever plays the Nats in the WS will have their hands full, for sure.

This series the Cards are having with the Nats reminds of the Cubs vs Dodgers NLCS in 2017. We were just outmatched. Braves would've lost to the Nats as well IMO. Nats are simply on fire right now. How do you think Bryce Harper feels about now?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This series the Cards are having with the Nats reminds of the Cubs vs Dodgers NLCS in 2017. We were just outmatched. Braves would've lost to the Nats as well IMO. Nats are simply on fire right now. How do you think Bryce Harper feels about now?

Good point on Harper, and I agree that no one would be hitting Nats pitching in this series, but I think the Braves may have been able to win one of the three games so far.

I know Harper's only been in Philly one year and they have other good players, so maybe that big deal will work out.  The Padres have some great young talent and a good farm system, so maybe the Machado money will pay dividends at some point, but the Dodgers should continue to dominate that division another year or two.

Disappointed in getting swept, but I'm actually happy for the Nationals and it's good to see someone new in the World Series.  The Astros and Yankees are like two heavyweights slugging it out, so whoever advances will face a well rested and very potent pitching staff.

Almost Hot Stove season and it will be interesting to see what the Cardinals do in the off season.  I'm thinking Ozuna is gone...he's a defensive liability now and that money can be better spent elsewhere.

Pitching staff will be built around Flaherty and offense around Goldschmidt.

Welp, sorry about the sweep guys, just wasn’t meant to be. Like you guys said, getting this far was great, anything else would have been the cherry on top, unfortunately the Nationals ate the cherry. Hope Harper feels humbled.

Yeah congrats on a very good season @Jay Kirk, @Barry Sears, and @Myles. Winning the WS would've been a great season but it is very good that you won the NL Central and made the NLCS. I didn't think the Nats would sweep, I am pretty surprised by that one. The offseason will be real interesting for the Cards and Cubs both. It is tough to win the WS as we all know, over the decade the Cards won one (2011) and the Cubs won one (2016). At least they both won one this decade where the Dodgers have not shockingly.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Congrats to Nationals fans everywhere, including our buddy @NorthernBlue. His Capitals won a championship recently and now his Nats have won the pennant, without the $300+ million man Harper. Are the Colts next? 

Good luck to the Nats in the World Series. 

His Raptors just won the NBA Title as well. He has had some great sports karma come his way :thmup:

It would be a nice story if the Nationals won. The Nats replaced the Expos who I watched a lot when I was younger. I remember guys like Andres Gallaraga, Dennis Martinez, Tim Wallach, Hubie Brooks, Delino Deshields, and current Nats skipper Dave Martinez. (Gary Carter was an Expo but before I started watching baseball.) I would love to see the Nats win because of its connection to the Expos.

Just now, NFLfan said:

It would be a nice story if the Nationals won. The Nats replaced the Expos who I watched a lot when I was younger. I remember guys like Andres Gallaraga, Dennis Martinez, Tim Wallach, Hubie Brooks, Delino Deshields, and current Nats skipper Dave Martinez. (Gary Carter was an Expo but before I started watching baseball.) I would love to see the Nats win because of its connection to the Expos.

Andre Dawson was an Expo as well. He is one of my all-time favorite Cubs.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Congrats to Nationals fans everywhere, including our buddy @NorthernBlue. His Capitals won a championship recently and now his Nats have won the pennant, without the $300+ million man Harper. Are the Colts next? 

Good luck to the Nats in the World Series. 

I’m never gonna complain about my sports teams being unlucky ever again haha (at least as long as we win the WS).

I want the Yankees. Houston’s starters can actually keep up with ours.

I can't insert a Poll here, so vote with a comment.

Who wins the World Series?  Washington or Houston?

I vote Houston in a 7 game classic.  Both teams have great pitching, but the Astros have the edge on offense overall, and they were just in the WS two year ago, so they won't be intimidated by all the hoopla.

I can't insert a Poll here, so vote with a comment.

Who wins the World Series?  Washington or Houston?

I vote Houston in a 7 game classic.  Both teams have great pitching, but the Astros have the edge on offense overall, and they were just in the WS two year ago, so they won't be intimidated by all the hoopla.

I have Houston in 6. They appear to have too much for the Nats. I hope the Nats win though.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, HOZER said:

Astros sweep the Nationals, you heard it here first.:banana:

I meant the Nats , yeah!!!

Looks like David Ross will be our new manager. I can roll with it. Also how about those Nats, up 1-0 on the Astros.

David Ross is the guy, really hope this works out well!

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

David Ross is the guy, really hope this works out well!

Looks like David Ross will be our new manager. I can roll with it. Also how about those Nats, up 1-0 on the Astros.

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Welcome back David Ross

Besides being a beloved former Cub, why are Cubs fans so high on Ross? Serious question. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Besides being a beloved former Cub, why are Cubs fans so high on Ross? Serious question. 

When Maddon first took over in 2015 the players gave him 100% and bought into what he was doing. It was a breathe of fresh air. After we won the WS in 2016 we got content IMO and Maddon's idea's were getting old. We just needed a new face, it was time :thmup:

Archived