Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Can't hold a 5-1 lead with 1 out in the 9th, that is complete garbage. Cards lost as well but at this point it doesn't even matter. We aren't winning crap this season. How does a team blow a 5-1 lead in the 9th inning with 1 out? Worse lost of the season and it's not even close. Our bullpen just flat stinks, telling it like it is. Nobody blows that kind of lead in 1 inning. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, HOZER said:

We might end up having to eat crow in the Darvish/Arrietta deal my friend. Yu is looking like the player Theo wanted all along. 10 strikeouts tonight, hasn’t had a walk in over 4 starts...not too shabby! Arrietta is hurt and out for season, kind of a flip flop of last season.  Time will tell.

Can we give PT some :applause::applause:??  

PT is the Princeton, IN man. :)

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can't hold a 5-1 lead with 1 out in the 9th, that is complete garbage. Cards lost as well but at this point it doesn't even matter. We aren't winning crap this season. How does a team blow a 5-1 lead in the 9th inning with 1 out? Worse lost of the season and it's not even close. Our bullpen just flat stinks, telling it like it is. Nobody blows that kind of lead in 1 inning. 

Hozer will be angry tonight. 

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

tenor.gif

Garbage by the bullpen once again!!! Leave Yu out there for the love of God!!! What a waste of a great outing by him!!!! SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING!!!!

I was right. Lol

(These merges :flaming:)

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Pedro Strop has got to go.......

Last night was terrible. I do not want to jinx it but hey we play the craptastic Pirates now lmao . If we can't win 2 out 3 vs them then we are toast. After these 3 games, that will make 64 on the road and just 60 at home. Cards and Cubs still tied for 1st as of August 16th.

1-0 Pirates in the 6th. Hendricks having a decent night, bats have gone silent....again.

In other Cubs news, Russell was recalled from Iowa, Almora sent down. I don't like that move, although sometimes I feel the whole team should be sent down. 

2-2 bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, bases loaded. Kintzler walks the tying run in a second ago. I have a sick feeling this is not going to end well against the Pirates. Bote with a crucial error earlier, he’s been making a lot of those lately.

The Cardinals beat the Reds.   Cards are 1 game up on the Cubs.

I'd still put my money on the Cubs winning the division.  That much talent on a team has to put it together.   The Cards are a just over .500 roster.   Historical numbers show the Cubs should have a better batting average. 

Cubs team batting average - .254

Cards team batting average - .242

Cubs team ERA - 4.12

Cards team ERA - 4.00

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'd still put my money on the Cubs winning the division.  That much talent on a team has to put it together.   The Cards are a just over .500 roster.   Historical numbers show the Cubs should have a better batting average. 

Cubs team ERA - 4.12

Cards team ERA - 4.00

There is a major funk in that clubhouse, somethings got to shake out. I think big changes could be coming. The Cards are a dangerous team that are getting hot at the right time, as are the Reds. 

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Cubs team ERA - 4.12

Cards team ERA - 4.00

Problem is we are not winning the close games, we win games big but then lose a lot of close one's like tonight. The Bullpen strikes again :wall:

This year's crop of major free agent relievers has been a $250 million disaster

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-relievers-free-agency-david-robertson-yankees-000217587.html

If any fans feel annoyed this offseason about their team for not spending to strengthen the bullpen, they might want to go ahead and look at what is happening this year....

(read article for more)

The article goes on to show that almost all the relievers that got big contracts are doing poorly. The two that have performed well are Yankees relievers (Britton and Ottavino?). The author blames this partly on the juiced ball. 

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Cubs and Cards tied for first again after  Cards lose to Reds today. 

Reds seem to give other teams a lot of trouble. 

Speaking of juiced ball, Pete Alonso has hit 39 HRs and this rookie player for the Reds is the fastest to 11 HR. @hippiejohn must be ecatatic.

Rizzo with a huge blast! He put a light out haha . Cubs playing Cubs baseball, up 7-0 tonight. Go ahead and fly the flag Hozer, this baby is over already  lmao . I never call it this early but we are not blowing this lead. 7-0 to the bottom of the 5th.

After the 10 game road trip we will be tied for 1st in the NL Central. That is really all I wanted because the Cards have had an easy schedule while have been on the road for nearly 2 weeks. We will now have 6 straight at home where we are a different animal baby!

Officially tied for 1st again in the NL Central, Cubs win, fly the flag Hozer.

NL Central standings heading into August 19th:

Cards 65-57

Cubs 66-58

Brewers 64-60 (2 back)

Reds 58-65 (7.5 back)

Pirates 51-72 (14.5 back)

Cubs 10 game road trip over, thankfully. Cubs get a much needed rest tomorrow and do not play on Monday. Next 3 games are against the Giants at Wrigley. Hamels pitches Tuesday :thmup:

So....Cubs shut the Pirates out into the bottom of the 9th with another stellar Quintana outing,  Kimbrell our Supertstar closer comes in and gives up a home run in his first pitch. Now Strop is in, lmao, if the bullpen gives this game up I will blow a gasket!

*update....game over Cubs win, whew!!!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

On 8/16/2019 at 10:28 PM, Myles said:

Cubs team ERA - 4.12

Cards team ERA - 4.00

Lol ill raise your Cubs and hand me the Cards . Cards have a very important factor besides a very dangerous line up. The third best bull pen in the MLB . Anything can happen , and if they bench Carpenter for the hot hand , it bolsters their offense greatly. They wont wait long to do it. My guess if he doesn't pick it during current series.

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol ill raise your Cubs and hand me the Cards . Cards have a very important factor besides a very dangerous line up. The third best bull pen in the MLB . Anything can happen , and if they bench Carpenter for the hot hand , it bolsters their offense greatly. They wont wait long to do it. My guess if he doesn't pick it during current series.

It's 50/50 at this point on who wins the division IMO. It will come down to the head to head games these 2 teams play at the end of the season. I still lean toward the Cards winning the division because their pitching is slightly better and their lineup is just as good. Both lineup's are dangerous. Cubs at worse should get in as a Wildcard.

Archived