Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

When I see Mattingly, I think of PT. PT loves players who are from his area. I wonder if PT is watching. 

PT often reminds me that one of the most famous people in Mets history, Gil Hodges, is from his part of the country. So is Jim Abbot who threw a no-hitter as a pitcher for the Yankees.

No I missed it

my Dad played college football his Donnie Baseball's older brother

Gil is from my hometown 

JA was my childhood idol but is from Flint, Michigan

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

No it wasn't looked ugly , Martinez couple bad calls on balls strikes a misplay in the field and he was done. Carpenter has been terrible with the bat , that isn't helping but much like Bryant you must stick with him because you know he will hit.

The Cards have some issues to correct or they could be sellers

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

When I see Mattingly, I think of PT. PT loves players who are from his area. I wonder if PT is watching. 

PT often reminds me that one of the most famous people in Mets history, Gil Hodges, is from his part of the country. So is Jim Abbot who threw a no-hitter as a pitcher for the Yankees.

The pitcher you are facing tonight is from Evansville

His HS Principal was at Princeton(his wife worked with my Mom and he worked with my Dad), another administrator/teacher at the school is from Princeton and the head Basketball Coach and SS teacher was a college friend of mine

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The pitcher you are facing tonight is from Evansville

His HS Principal was at Princeton(his wife worked with my Mom and he worked with my Dad), another administrator/teacher at the school is from Princeton and the head Basketball Coach and SS teacher was a college friend of mine

That's great. I know who you will be rooting for tonight. ;)

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The weather is not cooperating 

It will clear up. I loved last years team, we may never see that again as in 103 wins. We had a very tough/clutch team beating the Giants, Dodgers, and then Indians in the Playoffs:

CF Fowler

3B Bryant

1B Rizzo

LF Zobrist

SS Russell

2B Baez

C Ross

RF Heyward

P Arrieta Righty or Lester Lefty

*If the DH is in play, Schwarber would bat 2nd and then just move each player down a spot = Bryant 3rd, Rizzo 4th, Zobrist 5th, etc..

BullPen - Montgomery Lefty, Chapman Lefty as the main guys. I would roll with this team all day in a 1 game situation!

The Mets have 4 runs on only 4 hits, two of which were HRs by Jay Bruce. Yes, the same Jay Bruce I wanted the Mets to trade. haha 

But seriously, I don't know how much I can continue to watch these types of games. :groan:  I like to see men on base and creating runs. These guys are swinging at the first pitch. In the 9th, the first two men were out on 2 pitches. SMH

Mets win 4-3, surviving a Phillies HR in the 9th.

1 hour ago, GOZER said:

I fell asleep just before bottom of the 9th.....missed Rizzo RBI walk of!!!!! Got it recorded though!!!!

IMG_0126.JPG

Yeah dozed off for a while too when we were up 2-1 and didn't wake up until after the game. I usually never fall asleep during a game but was up all day. I see they came back and tied it but then Rizzo won it in the 9th. We are looking solid so far at 5-2. The Reds are also 5-2.

33 minutes ago, GOZER said:

How sweet it is....love that all the players got to take turns hoisting it!

IMG_0140.JPG

Yeah it's finally nice that we aren't the brunt of everyone's jokes being losers. This Cubs Championship is my favorite moment in sports history with the exception of the Colts winning the SB in 2006. It's like 1a and 1b regarding those 2, pretty even. Watching the team you have loved for over 30 years that hadn't won in 108 years, win is priceless! I would've had my trifecta in life had the Pacers won it all in 2000 but they lost to Kobe/Shaq in the Finals. Reggie gave it a shot but just fell short in 6 tough games that season. I look at the Cubs and as young as they are they may win 2 or 3 more WS over the next 10 years, especially if they Repeat. Our FO is the best in the game so I have faith in them to keep a solid product out there on the field for the next decade.

4 hours ago, Colt Cola said:

Will Myers hit for the Cycle last night for my Padres. Only the 2nd cycle in the history for the Padres. The first one was just 2 years ago for Matt Kemp. Both were done in Colorado and both were completed with a triple.

Thanks for sharing that. And glad to have you join us. We look forward to everything baseball.

Congrats on the cycle... Has a pitcher in a Padres uniform ever throw a No-Hitter? I believe that for many years the Padres and the Mets were the 2 organizations that did not have a pitcher throw a no-hitter. Then Johan Santana had threw one for the Mets a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for sharing that. And glad to have you join us. We look forward to everything baseball.

Congrats on the cycle. Do the Padres have a No-Hitter? I believe that for many years the Padres and the Mets were the 2 organizations that did not have a pitcher throw a no-hitter. Than Johan Santana had threw one for the Mets.

Didn't Doc Gooden throw a 1 hitter? Which it isn't a no hitter but he came close. I am surprised Tom Seaver never threw one for the Mets?

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Congrats on the cycle... Has a pitcher in a Padres uniform ever throw a No-Hitter? I believe that for many years the Padres and the Mets were the 2 organizations that did not have a pitcher throw a no-hitter. Then Johan Santana had threw one for the Mets a few years ago.

Still waiting on that one...although I'd much rather see a WS Ring

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Didn't Doc Gooden throw a 1 hitter? Which it isn't a no hitter but he came close. I am surprised Tom Seaver never threw one for the Mets?

We have had many 1-hitters. I was at a game that Tom Glavine was pitching. A no-name Colorado Rockies player hit a single with one out in the ninth. 

We have had Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Doc Gooden, and many other very good pitchers and only Santana threw No-hitter as a Met. Seaver, Doc, and Ryan threw no-hitters with other teams. 

1 hour ago, Colt Cola said:

Still waiting on that one...although I'd much rather see a WS Ring

Nice seeing someone new here. The Padres have a pretty solid history, 1984 still breaks my heart when you guys beat us in the Playoffs. I loved that Cubs team. I used to like Steve Garvey when he played there and Tony Gwynn makes my all-time starting lineup.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice seeing someone new here. The Padres have a pretty solid history, 1984 still breaks my heart when you guys beat us in the Playoffs. I loved that Cubs team. I used to like Steve Garvey when he played there and Tony Gwynn makes my all-time starting lineup.

I share a birthday with Garvey. Gwynn was amazing, day in and day out, and a great guy in person. Miss him still. His son is part of our broadcast team and it is amazing how much his voice sounds just like his dad. Trevor Hoffman is my all time favorite.

19 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Has the Cards Bullpen blown up again or did they push Wainwright to far

Both lol Rosenthall looked good and Bowman they shellacked Broxton. Come on Tyler Lyons we need you in a big way. Say goodbye to Broxton move Wainwright to the pen . Bring up one of the young guns and move on.

7 hours ago, Colt Cola said:

Will Myers hit for the Cycle last night for my Padres. Only the 2nd cycle in the history for the Padres. The first one was just 2 years ago for Matt Kemp. Both were done in Colorado and both were completed with a triple.

Welcome to the Baseball thread glad to have you .

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Both lol Rosenthall looked good and Bowman they shellacked Broxton. Come on Tyler Lyons we need you in a big way. Say goodbye to Broxton move Wainwright to the pen . Bring up one of the young guns and move on.

I wouldn't even worry about the 2-5 start, it's such a long season. Even if the Cards started something like 10-15, that still wouldn't be that big of deal. April and May you just need to stay around .500, then get in a groove. They are in a division with the Cubs but in todays game, you don't have to win the Division to get in. Best thing Baseball did was allowing 2 WildCard teams to get in, it makes the season much better to follow.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't even worry about the 2-5 start, it's such a long season. Even if the Cards started something like 10-15, that still wouldn't be that big of deal. April and May you just need to stay around .500, then get in a groove. They are in a division with the Cubs but in todays game, you don't have to win the Division to get in. Best thing Baseball did was allowing 2 WildCard teams to get in, it makes the season much better to follow.

I'm not worried but I see some things I don't like that can be easily remedied.

If you were the commissioner of Baseball, what are some of the changes you would make that you think would improve our game? Here are mine:

1. Team with the best record in the league gets overall HFA

2. Shorten the schedule to 130 games (instead of 162), start the season in the 3rd week of April and end it by mid September. Start the Playoffs on September 21st = beginning of fall this will assure the WS ends by the end of October. No bad weather from the 3rd week of April through October 31st!  130 games isn't near as long either so the average fan in general will have more interest watching the Regular Season.

3. 6 teams from each Conference make the Playoffs, 3 Division winners, 3 Wildcards - gives the fan of a team more reason to watch and it isn't too many teams. #1 and #2 seeds get a bye (2 teams with the best record) while watching #3 vs #6/#4 vs #5 BEST OF 3 series, 1-1-1, instead of just 1 game like #4 vs #5 is now. #1 Seed gets the winner of the lowest seed like in Football - THEN BEST OF 5 series in Round 2, 2-2-1. The NLCS and ALCS stay the same - BEST OF 7, 2-3-2. WS still the same but team with best record has HFA, 2-3-2.

Thoughts?

Archived