Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Many writers are saying the Central is the best division in Baseball , so I wouldn't be one bit surprised. I think the Braves will fight the Phillies in the east . That one I wont predict. Other than that we are pretty much on the same page.

I'm worried that the central may beat themselves up and only the division winner will make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That could be too because even the Pirates and Reds could be decent. 

I'm a bit worried about the Reds.   They added Kemp and Puig. 

Kemp is consistent.  He'll hit .275+ with 20+ HR's.

Puigs change of scenery and the small ballpark could make him very scary.   A few years ago he was the next great thing.   Votto is a .300 hitter with 20+ HR's.   Same with Gennett.   Suarez has 26 and 34 HR's the past 2 seasons.  

I don't think the Reds will compete for the division lead, but they will not be a slouch.    

Just now, Myles said:

I'm a bit worried about the Reds.   They added Kemp and Puig. 

Kemp is consistent.  He'll hit .275+ with 20+ HR's.

Puigs change of scenery and the small ballpark could make him very scary.   A few years ago he was the next great thing.   Votto is a .300 hitter with 20+ HR's.   Same with Gennett.   Suarez has 26 and 34 HR's the past 2 seasons.  

I don't think the Reds will compete for the division lead, but they will not be a slouch.    

Yeah Pitching is their problem but they have a scary lineup. 

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

For your reading pleasure on this hazy morning :thmup:

https://sports.yahoo.com/cubs-joe-maddon-is-i-pading-these-days-to-figure-out-doomsday-prediction-for-2019-season-235440288.html
Cubs' Joe Maddon is 'iPad-ing these days' to figure out doomsday prediction for 2019 season

79 wins was predicted by one sports site (PECOTA), Maddon's response = "insulting" :spit:. Bryant said "we've won the most games in the last 4 years", "Us, as players, we definitely have the attitude of World Series or bust". Great read and thanks @NFLfan for the article. I can't wait for the season to start.

Cubs last 4 seasons:

2015 = 97-65, made the Playoffs

2016 = 103-58, WS Champions!

2017 = 92-70, made the Playoffs

2018 = 95-68, made the Playoffs

387 wins in 4 seasons, yep the most since 2015.

Here is the Cubs record since Joe Maddon became manager and Kris Bryant became a Cub.

2015 = 97-65, made the Playoffs

2016 = 103-58, WS Champions

2018 = 95-68, made the Playoffs

387-261 overall = .597%

-Here's a question, if the Cubs fail to make the Playoffs in 2019 should Maddon be fired and should Bryant be considered trade bait? They both say WS or bust going into 2019 so the pressure is on. This season has me on edge and the first time in a while that I am not sure how the Cubs will do. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, Myles said:

I'm worried that the central may beat themselves up and only the division winner will make the playoffs.

Stop worrying , get to August , and if there need for worry do it then. I think you will find as the season progresses the Central will beat up on the other divisions. Of course they will work on each other within the division , that's a given. I really feel three teams from Central enter the playoffs.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

79 wins was predicted by one sports site (PECOTA), Maddon's response = "insulting" :spit:. Bryant said "we've won the most games in the last 4 years", "Us, as players, we definitely have the attitude of World Series or bust". Great read and thanks @NFLfan for the article. I can't wait for the season to start.

Cubs last 4 seasons:

2015 = 97-65, made the Playoffs

2016 = 103-58, WS Champions!

2018 = 95-68, made the Playoffs

387 wins in 4 seasons, yep the most since 2015.

Yep right along with at least two other teams in the division. As long as they all remember you play one game at a time.

12 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Stop worrying , get to August , and if there need for worry do it then. I think you will find as the season progresses the Central will beat up on the other divisions. Of course they will work on each other within the division , that's a given. I really feel three teams from Central enter the playoffs.

Yeah I am taking a different approach to this Cubs season. After the 2015 Season when we lost to the Mets in the NLCS, I watched almost every game in 2016 and did the same in 2017 and 2018. Worried like crazy during those whole seasons and took losses hard even in April and May. That is rough on your body actually. I am going to relax more this season and just let things ride out, won't do my worrying until August. I have had time to reflect on the last 4 seasons and only 1 team can win it all anyway and we did win 1 at least so I am taking the more relaxed approach this 2019 Season. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am going to relax more this season and just let things ride out, won't do my worrying until August. I have had time to reflect on the last 4 seasons and only 1 team can win it all anyway and we did win 1 at least so I am taking the more relaxed approach this 2019 Season. 

Yes. Fans can enjoy the season more if they are not worried so much. Enjoy the game, win or lose.

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes. Fans can enjoy the season more if they are not worried so much. Enjoy the game, win or lose.

Exactly as long as your seeing the game played like it should be by both teams , as a baseball fan I'm going to enjoy. Sure I want my team to win , but the integrity and execution of the game comes first. I appreciate good play from opposing teams and will acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

Spring training half over , any youngsters showing promise for your respective teams you had not counted on before camp began ?

We are pretty excited about Peter Alonso who will probably be the full-time first baseman. He was one of our best hitting prospects for the past couple of years. He is hitting very well. My concern is his defense. He is not very good. He would be a good DH. Hopefully his defense can improve. I appreciate good defense. 

He is a small clip of what was written about Alonso today:

Alonso continues to make a strong case to be the team's starting first baseman come opening day with the slugger batting .423 after going 2-for-4 in Saturday's 10-2 win over the Red Sox. Alonso has more extra-base hits (six) than singles (five), and has been the team's most impressive offensive player through the first four weeks of camp.

Peter Alonso article

@Jay Kirk, did you hear that Tom Seaver has dementia and has "retired from public life".  He will not be seen in the public anymore. That is very sad, given this is the 50th anniversary of the Mets winning their first World Series. 

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. 

19 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Spring training half over , any youngsters showing promise for your respective teams you had not counted on before camp began ?

Nico Hoerner, the Cubs 2018 first pick of the 2018 draft. Listed as a shortstop. He’s reached base safely in eight consecutive plate appearances, is 5-for-5 with a walk and two hit by pitches. Three of Hoerner’s hits have gone for extra bases. I like what I’ve seen from him, although not going to get too attached as the Cubs will probably just trade him away ala Eloy Jimenez and Gleybar Torres.

What do you all think of these changes which will be effective in 2020?

Link: A preview of the new procedural changes coming to MLB in 2020

Quote:

The Players Association and MLB are expected to announce they have agreed, in 2020, to:

Roster expansion by one to 26, including a maximum 13 pitchers, in the regular and postseasons. After Aug. 31, rosters may grow to as many as 28, with a maximum of 14 pitchers. Previously, September rosters were allowed 40 players. The larger roster creates 30 major league jobs.

Increasing the injured list and option-recall duration for pitchers from 10 to 15 days. :dunno:

The shortening of between-inning breaks at Major League Baseball’s discretion.

Extra innings of the All-Star Game would begin with a runner at second base. :thinking:

The union rejected an MLB proposal that would make it mandatory for pitchers to face a minimum of three batters. MLB has the authority to impose the rule in 2020, and union officials believe that is likely. As part of the recent negotiations, MLB did agree to postpone implementation of a pitch clock for at least two seasons.

I like the extra roster spot.

I would not like that change where pitchers would be required to face 3 guys. The players association voted against it but Rob Manfred may impose it. 

So, no more 40 man rosters after Sept. 1st??? I don't know how much I like that one either.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do you all think of these changes which will be effective in 2020?

Link: A preview of the new procedural changes coming to MLB in 2020

Quote:

The Players Association and MLB are expected to announce they have agreed, in 2020, to:

Roster expansion by one to 26, including a maximum 13 pitchers, in the regular and postseasons. After Aug. 31, rosters may grow to as many as 28, with a maximum of 14 pitchers. Previously, September rosters were allowed 40 players. The larger roster creates 30 major league jobs.

Increasing the injured list and option-recall duration for pitchers from 10 to 15 days. :dunno:

The shortening of between-inning breaks at Major League Baseball’s discretion.

Extra innings of the All-Star Game would begin with a runner at second base. :thinking:

The union rejected an MLB proposal that would make it mandatory for pitchers to face a minimum of three batters. MLB has the authority to impose the rule in 2020, and union officials believe that is likely. As part of the recent negotiations, MLB did agree to postpone implementation of a pitch clock for at least two seasons.

I like the extra roster spot.

I would not like that change where pitchers would be required to face 3 guys. The players association voted against it but Rob Manfred may impose it. 

So, no more 40 man rosters after Sept. 1st??? I don't know how much I like that one either.

I am ok with all of them except a Pitcher having to face a minimum of 3 batters and putting a guy on 2nd in extra Innings of the AS game. Both of those are bad ideas.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, NFLfan said:

We are pretty excited about Peter Alonso who will probably be the full-time first baseman. He was one of our best hitting prospects for the past couple of years. He is hitting very well. My concern is his defense. He is not very good. He would be a good DH. Hopefully his defense can improve. I appreciate good defense. 

He is a small clip of what was written about Alonso today:

Alonso continues to make a strong case to be the team's starting first baseman come opening day with the slugger batting .423 after going 2-for-4 in Saturday's 10-2 win over the Red Sox. Alonso has more extra-base hits (six) than singles (five), and has been the team's most impressive offensive player through the first four weeks of camp.

Peter Alonso article

Yes I seen him hit very good looking hitter.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, NFLfan said:

@Jay Kirk, did you hear that Tom Seaver has dementia and has "retired from public life".  He will not be seen in the public anymore. That is very sad, given this is the 50th anniversary of the Mets winning their first World Series. 

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. 

Yes I had heard , he Bob Gibson and Tim McCarver are all good friends . Its sad to see anyone struggle with that.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, HOZER said:

Nico Hoerner, the Cubs 2018 first pick of the 2018 draft. Listed as a shortstop. He’s reached base safely in eight consecutive plate appearances, is 5-for-5 with a walk and two hit by pitches. Three of Hoerner’s hits have gone for extra bases. I like what I’ve seen from him, although not going to get too attached as the Cubs will probably just trade him away ala Eloy Jimenez and Gleybar Torres.

Well they may have a future home for him in the infield time will tell. You almost have to have a good utility player would he meet that role ?

Archived